Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A world without Ireland

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

How different would the world as we know it be today if nature left a gap in the Atlantic where Ireland exists ?

If Ireland or her people and diaspora never were ?

Would the world be a different place today if Napoleon never had to face an army under the leadership of Wellington at Waterloo ?

How different would places as far away as Argentina and Chile be today if not for the influence of people like William Brown and Bernardo O'Higgins ? Not to mention Che Guevara in the same region years later.

There would have been no JFK (and no Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot him either). No Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama and at least 18 other occupants of the White House over the years. The White House itself wouldn't exist as the architect James hoban was Irish.

No Jim Callaghan or Tony Blair in Downing Street. Indeed there would be no Downing Street either as Sir George Downing who built the place was also Irish !

30% of the population of Australia wouldn't be around.

The world Music and Movies would be denied the talents of people like The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis, George Clooney, John Wayne, Matt Dillon Mel Gibson Walt Disney, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Moore and countless others.

There would be no Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, John McEnroe, Celtic FC but on the bright side there would be no Wayne Rooney either !

Princes' William and Harry wouldn't exist as their mother, Diana was of Irish descent. In fact their cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't be around either as their mother, Sarah Ferguson's lot also hailed from these shores. Although its likely that the whole institution of the British monarchy (and history) would have been altered centuries ago in any case, as the battles of the Boyne and Aughrim would have had to have been fought elsewhere !

No Ford cars. No Duty Free. No Titanic. No Guinness and Whiskey to drown the shamrock on a non existant St Patrick's Day. No Oscar Statuettes, or Dunlop tyres. Irish Pubs, dancing, stew, coffee, jokes...........................

No Herb Kelleher, founder of Southwest Airlines in the US and inspiration for low cost airlines everywhere including Ryanair.

I haven't even mentioned how much poorer the world of literature would be without us.

I'm not gonna include some of our scientific discoveries and inventions as I believe things like the Submarine, Ejector seat and Richter scale would have come along eventually elsewhere. But who knows ?

Of course we've also given the world its fair share of blaggards, chancers and gangsters, but who hasn't? And on the bright side there would be no Tubridy asking everyone about their Irish roots.

Any other ideas or opinions on how different the world would be today if it wasn't for Ireland and the Irish ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You could say the same about almost any country. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

Lapin wrote: »
    How different would the world as we know it be today if nature left a gap in the Atlantic where Ireland exists ?

If Ireland or her people and diaspora never were ?

Would the world be a different place today if Napoleon never had to face an army under the leadership of Wellington at Waterloo ?

How different would places as far away as Argentina and Chile be today if not for the influence of people like William Brown and Bernardo O'Higgins ? Not to mention Che Guevara in the same region years later.

There would have been no JFK (and no Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot him either). No Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama and at least 18 other occupants of the White House over the years. The White House itself wouldn't exist as the architect James hoban was Irish.

No Jim Callaghan or Tony Blair in Downing Street. Indeed there would be no Downing Street either as Sir George Downing who built the place was also Irish !

30% of the population of Australia wouldn't be around.

The world Music and Movies would be denied the talents of people like The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, The Smiths, Oasis, George Clooney, John Wayne, Matt Dillon Mel Gibson Walt Disney, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Moore and countless others.

There would be no Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, John McEnroe, Celtic FC but on the bright side there would be no Wayne Rooney either !

Princes' William and Harry wouldn't exist as their mother, Diana was of Irish descent. In fact their cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie wouldn't be around either as their mother, Sarah Ferguson's lot also hailed from these shores. Although its likely that the whole institution of the British monarchy (and history) would have been altered centuries ago in any case, as the battles of the Boyne and Aughrim would have had to have been fought elsewhere !

No Ford cars. No Duty Free. No Titanic. No Guinness and Whiskey to drown the shamrock on a non existant St Patrick's Day. No Oscar Statuettes, or Dunlop tyres. Irish Pubs, dancing, stew, coffee, jokes...........................

No Herb Kelleher, founder of Southwest Airlines in the US and inspiration for low cost airlines everywhere including Ryanair.

I haven't even mentioned how much poorer the world of literature would be without us.

I'm not gonna include some of our scientific discoveries and inventions as I believe things like the Submarine, Ejector seat and Richter scale would have come along eventually elsewhere. But who knows ?

Of course we've also given the world its fair share of blaggards, chancers and gangsters, but who hasn't? And on the bright side there would be no Tubridy asking everyone about their Irish roots.

Any other ideas or opinions on how different the world would be today if it wasn't for Ireland and the Irish ?

You pretty much covered everything in your post there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I could, but this is boards.ie ;)

You pretty much covered everything in your post there.

No, I forgot Kerrygold butter and Tayto. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

AH HERE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I could, but this is boards.ie ;)

I'm only posting to add a winking smiley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Rabies wrote: »
    I'm only posting to add a winking smiley ;)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GeorgeClooney

I'm pretty sure that gap would've been filled up with water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

If only this could happen. Wipe the entire god forsaken sh1thole out and start again.

If only this could happen. Wipe the entire god forsaken sh1thole out and start again.

^^^^^^^
    fkt wrote: »
    AH HERE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

A world without Jesus.

Can you imagine if there had been no Jesus...

Eh f*ck it.

I'm too lazy to write that sh*t out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No gingers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

No Maggie Thatcher, John Major, David Cameron
    No Charles De Gaulle
    No Jimi Hendrix
    No Charlie Chaplin
    No Elvis Presley
    No Ned Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

No Barak Obama!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well if that were the case we'd either be part of Iceland, Spain/Portugal/France, USA, Canada or Britain! We probably wouldn't be called Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

No Ned Kelly

Excellent.

I've been trying to get rid of mine for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

............no kerrygold?
    OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like to imagine it would look something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

And no Barry's Tea :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well at least there'd be no self-depreciation or begrudgery in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Im sure the world would keep on turning just fine.

There be no GAA! :(

No Guinness...no barrys tea or no kerrymaid/low low....no st paddy's day!? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, you'll lose the Beatles. On the other hand Haughey, Ahern and Cowen cease to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

doovdela wrote: »
    There be no GAA! :(

be worth it then.

The world without ireland now would be about as important as the world without slovakia or burma.

the world without ireland historically would be a world where they have to find cheap emigrant labour from other sources.

Europe without ireland now would mean it wouldn't be in as much trouble.

The delusion about our percieved importance to the world is one of the most hilarious aspects of irish culture.

Someone on the israel thread asking where our government is on this :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No boards

Leftist wrote: »
    be worth it then.

The world without ireland now would be about as important as the world without slovakia or burma.

the world without ireland historically would be a world where they have to find cheap emigrant labour from other sources.

Europe without ireland now would mean it wouldn't be in as much trouble.

The delusion about our percieved importance to the world is one of the most hilarious aspects of irish culture.

Someone on the israel thread asking where our government is on this :D:D

There be no rugby for our provinces I'd say as we'd be routing for another country I'd say....

I don't know how would the US, Britain and Oz feel being without Ireland in the historical sense then?? On the basis of Europe then we would not matter much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No boards

Sweet mother of god, what would we all do?
    Oh thats right we would be somewhere else or not exist.
    Don't scare me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

No British Empire then..............:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

No Maggie Thatcher, John Major, David Cameron
    No Charles De Gaulle
    No Jimi Hendrix
    No Charlie Chaplin
    No Elvis Presley
    No Ned Kelly

There would still be a Tony Cascarino :)

Advertisement