Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are violent computer games harmless fun or a dangerous pastime?

Options
  • 16-11-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

New research by Brock University in Canada claims to have found the first
    clear link between teenagers playing graphic titles and displaying aggressive
    behaviour in real life.

Researchers said games like Grand Theft Auto could be teaching kids that
    aggression is an "appropriate way to deal with conflict and anger"

“But I am convinced that the graphics in computer games are now so realistic that children can’t tell if they are computer generated or not and that’s what causes this behaviour.”

I'm a bit skeptical, i loved shoot'em ups as a kid (although with an 8bit console :pac: ) and it done me no harm... i think :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When i was a pup they were blaming Gangsta Rap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

One: you're supposed to be 18 to play those.
    Two: I've been playing Mortal Kombat games since I was 6 years old or so and the GTA games since I was about 10 years old.

I agree that these games teach me that violence solves everything.

But I also learned that from violent films also.

Now, I spend time aiming for the civilians I see on the paths. At the moment, I have the army after me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Is alcohol a dangerous addictive drug or a harmless substance that allows people to relax?

It very much depends on the user, like video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

simple solution, stupid parents shouldn't buy 18 rated games for kids.

krudler wrote: »
    simple solution, stupid parents shouldn't buy 18 rated games for kids.

An even better solution is "don't do a bad job raising your kids".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It's terrible to see kids indoors playing these games all day. They should be outside stabbing and shanking and pimping for real, like in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

They keep kids off the streets and out of trouble

Two: I've been playing Mortal Kombat games since I was 6 years old

Same.

Thankfully I wasn't able to rip that guy's spine out through his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

oh its this argument again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Well instead of inept parents parents buying 18s games for their kids and then complaining that the government should do something, they should demonstrate a little personal responsibility and stop buying violent games for their 10 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

“But I am convinced that the graphics in computer games are now so realistic that children can’t tell if they are computer generated or not and that’s what causes this behaviour.”
    What is that supposed to mean? That children think they are controlling real people with their xbox controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Parents need to realise that game ratings should be treated like movie ratings.

I think we should ban stupid parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Harmless fun, for the kids who have enough sense. I remember getting Grand Theft Auto 3 when I was 12, GTA:VC when I was 13 and GTA:SA when I was 14, and and I turned out fine. It really goes down to how a kid is raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

super mario taught me to jump on peoples heads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sonic turned me into a jewellery thief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Ballad of Gay Tony taught me to always wear a parachute.

when i worked in retail and GTA San Andreas came out we had to explain to parents buying it what it was about, and the amount of them who shrugged their shoulders and bought it anyway for like a 9 year old was shocking, you know they'd be the first people ringing Joe Duffy the next day after their precious backed a truck over a hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Genghis Khan was a divil for the ould GTA vice city.

I used to be a normal 10 year old boy.
    I played Tomb Raider and now I'm a 30 year old woman with D cups and hunting for relics in tombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Varies from person to person. These games are made for people over 16 and 18 so a 8 year old shouldnt be playing them unless the parents were sure that their child was responsible. We all know alcohol is bad for 5 year olds so we only sell it to over 18s. If parents dont want to parent then its their own problem if little jimmy starts being violent after playing call of duty online for hours a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is alcohol a dangerous addictive drug or a harmless substance that allows people to relax?

It very much depends on the user, like video games.

Exactly, the report is like saying there's a link between alcohol and alcoholics.

Oh, wait. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I just don't know where games end and reality begins. I mean, I haven't had sex and murdered that many prostitutes right...RIGHT?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

krudler wrote: »
    when i worked in retail and GTA San Andreas came out we had to explain to parents buying it what it was about, and the amount of them who shrugged their shoulders and bought it anyway for like a 9 year old was shocking, you know they'd be the first people ringing Joe Duffy the next day after their precious backed a truck over a hooker.

Did you get the angry parents giving out about how the never saw the big ****ing 18 on the box or never heard the warning you have to give every time someone buys a game?
    They're such joyful people to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yes because teenagers were never violent before video games....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It can prime an aggressive reaction, but not cause aggression, and certainly not cause deviant behavior or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think anyone who says that video games corrupt peoples minds needs to step out of their bubble and live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Im sure the First World War happened because of insults over headsets during a COD clan match.

NTMK wrote: »
    Did you get the angry parents giving out about how the never saw the big ****ing 18 on the box or never heard the warning you have to give every time someone buys a game?
    They're such joyful people to deal with

oh god yeah , games a disgrace, kids play this, blah blah blahhhh. people really need to stop seeing gaming as kids pastime, it hasnt been for years, if it ever was. wouldnt let your kid watch an 18 rated film? dont let them play an 18 rated game then.

It always amuses me how a parent would freak out over a kid seeing a movie that is rated too old for them, yet have no problem with them playing the likes of GTA.

They're rated for a reason. They're not for children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I do think they can desentise them to violence and the consequences of violence, but that can also be said of all media these days.

Advertisement