Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Whilst I'm aware of the connection, the discussion of the A game at Donnybrook is going nowhere fast. If you want to discuss players and their relation to the Ireland squad then fine, but the next poster that brings up a petty provincial jab will be dealt with harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jm08 wrote: »
    Yes, Munster did. But Archer only played in 40 mins of the match and he was the TH that locked the scrum that denied Leinster the opportunity to win the game.

Leinster may have won the scrum battle, but Leinster lost the war.

Yes Leinster lost. And Munster deserved their win I believe. And fair play to them. Not that it's in any way relevant to what we're talking about of course. It's obvious to all and sundry that Archer isn't up to it. You may not want to openly admit it but that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be anywhere near the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Boss didn't play, Griggs played 80 minutes.

Munster A were expected to win against a pretty green Leinster A team, it's not really a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    jm, a little tip. Some Munster players are bad, they have bad games. And when they do it's best to admit it and move on rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

I think that is stupid to write off someone/anyone when you haven't seen the game and not knowing the circumstances.

What about the first 40 mins. How come Condon isn't getting a roasting. He is meant to be a good scrummager and he has been training with Ryan recently.

Innocent until proven guilty ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yes Leinster lost. And Munster deserved their win I believe. And fair play to them. Not that it's in any way relevant to what we're talking about of course. It's obvious to all and sundry that Archer isn't up to it. You may not want to openly admit it but that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be anywhere near the Irish team.
    even those posters who think he is a decent pro 12 level prop with potential will admit that he should be nowhere near the Irish team

Only Kidney and a handful of radicals think he belongs in the Irish squad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Classic Kidneyism here:
    As to whether he’d have made a dozen changes if it had been the second of three successive Test matches, Kidney said: “I’m not going to give a half-way answer, I’ll give you an honest answer; I don’t know.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1116/1224326665633.html

goreyguy wrote: »
    Boss didn't play, Griggs played 80 minutes.

Munster A were expected to win against a pretty green Leinster A team, it's not really a surprise.

Excuses, excuses! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Archer has yet to prove himself at Pro12 level, never mind the Irish squad. Now he's pretty decent in the loose so if he shores up at scrum time he'll be a decent option for Pro12 and maybe HC. But I can't really see him ever making it as an international prop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Excuses, excuses! :)

I'd like to think most fans don't give a flying sh*t about the result. I was personally more interested about the young guys on both sides. It's always very exiting when we get to see young Irish talent play.

I'd watch Munster beat Leinster every week if it meant I got to watch some of the future stars on display.

even those posters who think he is a decent pro 12 level prop with potential will admit that he should be nowhere near the Irish team

Only Kidney and a handful of radicals think he belongs in the Irish squad

Speaking of which what do people make of Smal given that he has publicly backed both Buckley and now Archer as being potential international THs? Given the evidence we've seen so far neither are anywhere near it. How badly does this reflect in him and his judgement?

• Advertisement

Speaking of which what do people make of Smal given that he has publicly backed both Buckley and now Archer as being potential international THs? Given the evidence we've seen so far neither are anywhere near it. How badly does this reflect in him and his judgement?

I wouldn't think much of him if he didn't back publicly all the players he coaches.

As far as I remember what he said about Buckley was that "he could be a world class prop - thats what you want coaches to be doing, building confidence and not a hanging offence for a coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Was Archer ever actually an official part of the squad? Or was he just joining up with them? (IE was it announced by the IRFU?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Either he is towing the party line or he is a ****ing terrible judge of players.

I wouldn't think much of him if he didn't back publicly all the players he coaches.

As far as I remember what he said about Buckley was that "he could be a world class prop - thats what you want coaches to be doing, building confidence and not a hanging offence for a coach!

What he said was that Buckley had the potential to be the best tighthead in the world. Which is just wrong.

You can back players without resorting to idiotic superlatives.

Was Archer ever actually an official part of the squad? Or was he just joining up with them? (IE was it announced by the IRFU?)

It was announced he was brought into the squad - probably because he played for Munster on the Friday night and the other option would have been Hagan, played on the Sunday night in Wales which probably have meant he wouldn't have been available to Ireland until the Tuesday and Ireland were training on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    What he said was that Buckley had the potential to be the best tighthead in the world. Which is just wrong.

Hindsight is great, it would be very easy to take the p*ss out of Smal over his comments about Buckley. So really these posts should write themselves :)

Here's what he said:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rugby&e=examiner&jp=kfkfeycwqlql

Direct quote:
    “In terms of making it as a player I have a lot of confidence in him. I think he can be one of the best tight heads in the world.

Worth reading the full article and what he actually saw in him.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rugby&e=examiner&jp=kfkfeycwqlql

Also worth bearing in mind with Smal, English isn't his first language.

Its also worth bearing in mind that Buckley is, and always has been, a terrible prop.

Forgive me for not having much faith in a man whose plan for the RWC at tighthead was Hayes and Buckley.

Its also worth bearing in mind that Buckley is, and always has been, a terrible prop.

Forgive me for not having much faith in a man whose plan for the RWC at tighthead was Hayes and Buckley.

Look, any coach who wouldn't back his players publicly deserves to be sacked. They need to try and get the best out of them and one way of doing that is to back them publicly.

Buckley did have potential - remember him rampaging around the all blacks a couple of seasons ago. The problem was he was always sick. Very fragile constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Buckley had huge potential back in the day. And had he gone on to sort out his fitness and scrummaging issues he might well have been a world class TH. He didn't though. Small backed him, don't really see the big deal tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buckley had huge potential back in the day. And had he gone on to sort out his fitness and scrummaging issues he might well have been a world class TH. He didn't though. Small backed him, don't really see the big deal tbh

I agree. No issue there.
    The problem was he was always sick. Very fragile constitution.

This is world class bollocks. The second line actually made me laugh out loud.

We have a winner! That is absolutely brilliant. Not his technique, not the fact that he was at least two stone overweight, not the fact that he was only half-interested at the best of times.

Comedy gold.

Mods, seriously?

Do you have to ridicule everything?

He had pneumonia at one stage and then glandular fever (which he played through) and got an awful lot of abuse at the time.

Glandular fever is very debilitating - I don't know how you'd even get out of bed, let alone play rugby with that.

Teferi wrote: »
    I agree. No issue there.

This is world class bollocks. The second line actually made me laugh out loud.

He picked up every bug that was going. He was always being withdrawn because he was sick so he rarely every got a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rover Random

He picked up every bug that was going. He was always being withdrawn because he was sick so he rarely every got a run of games.

In fairness now it doesn't fit in with some peoples' agenda's to report what actually happened. They'd rather just slate the man.

Can we get instant bans for people who use the term "Do a job" in a non-ironic way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Before writing Archer's obituary, its worth bearing in mind that John Ryan, his partner in crime (loosehead) today was playing TH last weekend for Cork Con. against Dolphin.

Although they claim he can play both sides, he was playing TH on his recent sojourn with London Irish, so it might not have been totally Archer's fault that the scrum failed today.

I was shocked to see earlier in the season John Ryan being part of a Cork Con scrum beasted by Royce Burke Flynn and Tadhg Furlong earlier this season. Though i do think Ryan's a decent player and has potential, Archer on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

In fairness now it doesn't fit in with some peoples' agenda's to report what actually happened. They'd rather just slate the man.

Because criticism of Tony Buckley always revolves around his being out regularly. The guy wasn't capable of scrummaging properly; that's why people slated him. No matter what the reason is, if a TH can't scrimmage they're going to get slated.

Few, if any, of us have an "agenda" outside of wanting to see the best for the Irish squad. If you can't admit Buckley isn't and never was a good scrummager then fine, but don't go knocking those that can. Same goes for Archer. If you have some rugby related points that you would like to make to refute those claims by all means fire away. Otherwise put the tin foil hat away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

But I mean that's a bit like saying if I was really fast and strong and could score tries I could have been a world class winger. I wasn't really fast and strong though, just like Buckley wasn't ever a scrummager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

danthefan wrote: »
    But I mean that's a bit like saying if I was really fast and strong and could score tries I could have been a world class winger. I wasn't really fast and strong though, just like Buckley wasn't ever a scrummager.

His fitness and scrummaging ability were all within his control though. A blind man could see his potential, but potential is worth nothing if it isn't realised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement