Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Ok, I was a bit harsh, The band were good musicians. Morrissey is shite.

Not a huge fan of his solo work (some of it I like, but for the most part could take it or leave it), but when he was in The Smiths he was amazing. Fantastic voice and a brilliant lyricist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

but heaven knows I'm dithering now.

;)

in fairness, he was the great voice for the confused-by-The-Fall generation, and as such, he deserves much salute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Am going for a biggie interview soon and mulling question answers. Would the right, or wrong, reply to "What's your (non-career) ambition in life?" be "To study the music of The Smiths for a semester at college". It's the right answer, so how could it be the wrong answer?? Seriously, like. Could get an Air Supply/Chicago/Starship fan thou.

Don't take this personally...

Chicago's early material is great - right up until 1978 when Terry Kath died. Approximately 10 LPs worth. They get written off because of the awful power ballad sh*te they released in the mid to late 1980s.

The Smiths were fantastic; I bought all the LPs and singles (both 7" and 12") as they were released and I was lucky enough to see them live in 1986. However a number of their more obsessive fans - then and now - seem to have very narrow tastes when it comes to other music.

btw, I dont want to imply that the confused-by-The Fall generation were in any way deficient.

Smith lovers are a good head n shoulders above the general plebiscite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Don't take this personally...

Chicago's early material is great - right up until 1978 when Terry Kath died. Approximately 10 LPs worth. They get written off because of the awful power ballad sh*te they released in the mid to late 1980s.

The Smiths were fantastic; I bought all the LPs and singles (both 7" and 12") as they were released and I was lucky enough to see them live in 1986. However a number of their more obsessive fans - then and now - seem to have very narrow tastes when it comes to other music.

In the interests of broadening horizons, took you at your word and have lost 3 minutes 19 seconds of my life PLUS half of that in writer comments. Although, in fairness, I got that longevity back in laughter :pac:. (Great lyrics BTW :cool:) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9803

Where were they live in '86? First concert that year, Simple Minds, Croke Park. Them were the days.

In the interests of broadening horizons, took you at your word and have lost 3 minutes 19 seconds of my life PLUS half of that in writer comments. Although, in fairness, I got that longevity back in laughter :pac:. (Great lyrics BTW :cool:) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9803

Where were they live in '86? First concert that year, Simple Minds, Croke Park. Them were the days.

Hard to argue with the funky grooves of I'm A Man.

Saw The Smiths in the National Stadium supported by The June Brides. February 1986. Was also at that Simple Minds gig - enjoyable but thought they had peaked with New Gold Dream.

Saw The Smiths in the National Stadium supported by The June Brides. February 1986.

I'm jelly.

tix-Smiths--June_Bride.jpg

Setlist
    Shakespeare's Sister
    I Want The One I Can't Have
    Vicar In A Tutu
    (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
    Cemetry Gates
    Still Ill
    Stretch Out And Wait
    That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
    Nowhere Fast
    What She Said
    The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
    There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    Bigmouth Strikes Again
    Meat Is Murder

William It Was Really Nothing
    Heaven Know I'm Miserable Now

Miserable Lie

tix-Smiths--June_Bride.jpg

Setlist
    Shakespeare's Sister
    I Want The One I Can't Have
    Vicar In A Tutu
    (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
    Cemetry Gates
    Still Ill
    Stretch Out And Wait
    That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
    Nowhere Fast
    What She Said
    The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
    There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    Bigmouth Strikes Again
    Meat Is Murder

William It Was Really Nothing
    Heaven Know I'm Miserable Now

Miserable Lie

That's almost the perfect setlist. All it needs is I Know It's Over and How Soon Is Now (although I think that was very difficult to perform live and so they rarely did it?)

Edit: 6 fcuking 50???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's almost the perfect setlist. All it needs is I Know It's Over and How Soon Is Now (although I think that was very difficult to perform live and so they rarely did it?)

Yes, How Soon Is Now? didn't get too many live outings. It did appear in the Kilburn National Ballroom set from 1986 (the one that Rank's 14 tracks were taken from). It was omitted from the Rank album but RTE Radio 2 played the full gig one Sunday night that year or early 1987 [all 21 tracks]. I had it on a C120 which broke a couple of years ago.

Cheers - didn't realise that had made it to YT.

Edit: 6 fcuking 50???

Different times.

Wedding Present in 1988 - £5.
    Pixies 1990 - £6 or £6.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

This thread isn't funny any more...:D

Different times.

Wedding Present in 1988 - £5.
    Pixies 1990 - £6 or £6.50.

The 10p Challenge: Packet of crisps 6p, ice pop 3p & 2 halfpenny sweets OR Bottle of Cadet. Dilemma!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Moved to classic Rock.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

so the after hours mod is allowed to start BS threads like this eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Yes.

The coke and hookers allocation has been cut due to the recession so the Mod union struck a deal for a BS thread starting allowance in the forums we mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Slow news day I suspect.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Slow news day I suspect.
    It was very slow at 2am Monday morning.

K-9 wrote: »
    Moved to classic Rock.

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    It was very slow at 2am Monday morning.

So real reason is sharpshooter is on holidays so the thread was allowed run.. but it's now kept going past it's sellby date! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Thats not funny Man, had to get an Admin restore my access. That makes us all look silly, particularity me.

You know what - I am shocked you got banned for saying what you did. Pretty bloody bullshít thing imo.

+1 on this. Absolutely BS thread.

Oh wait - I'll probably get feckin banned or something for having an opinion on the BS thread :rolleyes:

So real reason is sharpshooter is on holidays so the thread was allowed run.. but it's now kept going past it's sellby date! :D

There will never be a sell-by-date, The Smiths are eternal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

girl2 wrote: »
    You know what - I am shocked you got banned for saying what you did. Pretty bloody bullshít thing imo.

+1 on this. Absolutely BS thread.

Oh wait - I'll probably get feckin banned or something for having an opinion on the BS thread :rolleyes:

How has this lasted 6 pages?? :eek:

If anyone else started a sh*t thread like this we'd be banned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I know how to kill the thread :)

Exactly. You can blame Micky Dolenz for bumping it today though.
    girl2 wrote: »
    You do realise that it is actually impossible for me to ban that particular user? Indeed, I think you'll find that it's impossible for me to ban most of the users that I "banned" in this thread.;)
    mauzo wrote: »
    How has this lasted 6 pages??
    3 pages actually. I'll lock it if it actually gets to 6.
    You think? Jeez, we're bad but we're not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

This pretty much sums up AH nowadays.

Bring back Pighead and Flutt, they knew how to keep a party goin!

• Advertisement

There will never be a sell-by-date, The Smiths are eternal.

Frickin hate that whiney fecker. 3 hours at EP. THREE!!!!!!!!!!
    How has this lasted 6 pages?? :eek:

Ah, let them have their fun. Not often AH mods start threads. Good reason for it too it seems. :pac:

Advertisement