Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil Price Comparisons

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

With the cold weather far from gone I decided to get oil yesterday, now this is not a thread about giving out or complaining but just to highlight the difference if you ring around and help people get the most outta their moneys!

I rang 3 companies I had numbers for and asked how much I’d get for €200

Donegal Oil would give 220l
    Tinneys would give 230l
    Gulf Oil would give 250l

I dunno if others want to add to this list with recent prices they’ve been quoted for whatever amount. I know some people might be wary thinking that if people know what you got and where you live they can rob it but if others want to share fair play.

I looked through a few old threads and one of them is now down (letterkennyfuelprices I think) and the other one only gave examples for one or 2 and either at 500l or 1000l prices

(on a side note Donegal oil did say if I was getting 500l+ there would be a discount but I can’t really afford that)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I got 500L for €390 last week the same cost €330 in october :((Tinneys)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

if you gather up a few drums and drive to the border you will get around 300l for your 200euro.

there is one place in strabane that allows you to put a deposit on the drums and bring them back empty for a refund, but that means two runs to the border

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

if you gather up a few drums and drive to the border you will get around 300l for your 200euro.

there is one place in strabane that allows you to put a deposit on the drums and bring them back empty for a refund, but that means two runs to the border

Gallaghers Yard in lifford sell the drums for 2 euro each,well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

martic wrote: »
    Gallaghers Yard in lifford sell the drums for 2 euro each,well worth the money

yeah them ideas were in a previous thread on that basic premise, the hazards are its awkward, smelly and if you don't drive/have access to a trailer its not really worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

danniemcq wrote: »
    With the cold weather far from gone I decided to get oil yesterday, now this is not a thread about giving out or complaining but just to highlight the difference if you ring around and help people get the most outta their moneys!

I rang 3 companies I had numbers for and asked how much I’d get for €200

Donegal Oil would give 220l
    Tinneys would give 230l
    Gulf Oil would give 250l

I dunno if others want to add to this list with recent prices they’ve been quoted for whatever amount. I know some people might be wary thinking that if people know what you got and where you live they can rob it but if others want to share fair play.

I looked through a few old threads and one of them is now down (letterkennyfuelprices I think) and the other one only gave examples for one or 2 and either at 500l or 1000l prices

(on a side note Donegal oil did say if I was getting 500l+ there would be a discount but I can’t really afford that)

cheers for that you just saved me ringing round everyone!! gulf are great rang them there and they can deliver later today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thanks dannie, you just saved me some effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got 500l in Inishowen yesterday - cost €400:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Donegal Oil - €795
    Tinney's - €790
    Gulf Oil - €760
    Top Oil - €775
    McDermott Fuels - €770

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Ahhh Zombie thread.
    Anyway.......

I just phoned up to see how much I would get for my 200 euro:

Donegal Oil: ---- -200
    Tinney's:
    McDermot fuels - 215
    Gulf Oil

Looks like Gulf could be the best bet all round.

• Advertisement

Top do a better deal if you order online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

shayser wrote: »
    Donegal Oil - €795
    Tinney's - €790
    Gulf Oil - €760
    Top Oil - €775
    McDermott Fuels - €770

We getting very close to 80c/l there and if it goes up even the slightest bit more the night rate electricity will be cheaper. if you have a very decent boiler you might extract 10KWh from each of those litres

• Registered Users Posts: 45,913 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Daegerty wrote: »
    We getting very close to 80c/l there and if it goes up even the slightest bit more the night rate electricity will be cheaper. if you have a very decent boiler you might extract 10KWh from each of those litres
    I think you missed post #11 above. The post you quoted is from 6 weeks ago and the price of oil is well and truly more than 80 cents/litre now.

muffler wrote: »
    I think you missed post #11 above. The post you quoted is from 6 weeks ago and the price of oil is well and truly more than 80 cents/litre now.

I did indeed miss that one lol, can remember when we got the oil heating it was 34c/l. The times they are a changing, ESB will be busy installing night rate meters i'd say

I did indeed miss that one lol, can remember when we got the oil heating it was 34c/l. The times they are a changing, ESB will be busy installing night rate meters i'd say
    Never mind the ESB, the way things are going we could well see more of this

4824951098_498bedb5f7.jpg

4824951098_498bedb5f7.jpg

Whats the running cost on them? The "Horse Outside" song is getting a step closer to reality by the day

Whats the running cost on them?
    2 bales of hay and about 40kg of carrots per week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

2 bales of hay and about 40kg of carrots per week :pac:

still cheaper than oil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mk2 wrote: »
    I got 500L for €390 last week the same cost €330 in october :((Tinneys)
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Got 500l in Inishowen yesterday - cost €400:eek:

425 now...! :eek:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    425 now...! :eek:

Fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got 500lit today, €430. Bloody shocking.

Lets hope the mild weather arrives soon, and last til September

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Anyone know where abouts in stranbane is the place selling home heating oil in large drums?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

500L yesterday,€425 whorisky fuels, Man it's getting rediculous.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Senna wrote: »
    Anyone know where abouts in stranbane is the place selling home heating oil in large drums?

What do you mean large drums? the 25L ones or the cubes that hold 1000L?

Mchugh oils beside Doran's shop as you head towards the head of the town do the 25l drums, if you want to borrow some I can lend you a few save you paying the £2 per drum.

Not sure about the 1000l ones I have access to one but its in Derry and I wouldn't be able to get it for about a week.

Theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cheers Theblueirish for the offer, but i heard somewhere was selling 250ltr (or 200ltr) drums with a pump, you paid a deposit on the drum/pump and got it back when you returned it.
    There might be someone doing it, but i couldn't find them, so i bought a 200ltr drum myself (€15) and got it filled up:D

Just got 40l in McHughs in Strabane a massive £0.65 a litre, converting this to Euro its about €0.73 per litre.

I am a bit reluctant to put 500l in because of the number of thefts latley.

Feck your Honda Civic

Got oil there about a month ago. Was 88c/l

Just got 40l in McHughs in Strabane a massive £0.65 a litre, converting this to Euro its about €0.73 per litre.

I am a bit reluctant to put 500l in because of the number of thefts latley.
    Do they sell green diesel or red in there i guess,any idea on the price of it?

If they did it would be red, for anyone comming from the Ballybofey end there is a place in Clady that looks handy.

Theblueirish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Hope this isn't too old to bump but with the forecast for -3 tomorrow night I ordered oil today. The tank has been dry since last May.

Rang around (Letterkenny), prices for 500L from €471 - Top Oil, to €449 - Swilly Fuels, who I went with. On the phone they said €459 but when I told them their web site said €449 they gave it to me for that.

Depressing spending that kind of money! :eek:

Advertisement