Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws influenced by religious opinion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

tbf I assumed it was a religious protest based on an earlier comment. If it was a feminist protest I would respect that a lot more.

They can't stop us from using contraception anymore. Or eating meat on fridays, or divorcing. So I have far more objection to the anti-homosexual agenda by the religious groups these days. Not because I am gay, I don't dig dudes, I've never had a broseph chuck his junk all up in my grill and it's not something I would like, but how some priest botherer can tell them what to do is just beyond my comprehension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Leftist wrote: »
    tbf I assumed it was a religious protest based on an earlier comment. If it was a feminist protest I would respect that a lot more.

They can't stop us from using contraception anymore. Or eating meat on fridays, or divorcing. So I have far more objection to the anti-homosexual agenda by the religious groups these days. Not because I am gay, I don't dig dudes, I've never had a broseph chuck his junk all up in my grill and it's not something I would like, but how some priest botherer can tell them what to do is just beyond my comprehension.

It doesn't really matter how much respect you have for a protest. The fact of the matter is that the law gives people the right to assembly and freedom of speech in public places (with the exception of the ridiculous Section 5 of the Public Order Act in the UK and Ireland).

If I'm a resident and I disagree strongly with a strip club opening right by my house, I have every right to raise that objection with my MP / council. They might ignore it, or they might take heed to the fact that many residents simply wouldn't want it there.

philologos wrote: »
    If I'm a resident and I disagree strongly with a strip club opening right by my house, I have every right to raise that objection with my MP / council. They might ignore it, or they might take heed to the fact that many residents simply wouldn't want it there.

I have no objection to that. Preventing customers from entering the premises and sabotaging business through physical presence is not the same though.

Either way, It's a moot point if the protest was not religious based.
    Not becaues it makes it any less significant, just that it is off-topic.

I have no objection to that. Preventing customers from entering the premises and sabotaging business through physical presence is not the same though.

Either way, It's a moot point if the protest was not religious based.
    Not becaues it makes it any less significant, just that it is off-topic.

They have the right to protest if they feel that the council isn't listening to their concerns for sure.

Obstruction is already prohibited in protest, so if there was genuine reason as to why they would be obstructing street traffic then the Gardaí could have been involved.

Your OP and subsequent posts aren't making a whole lot of sense. If people can lobby on the behalf of any other position, why can't Christians lobby? Why is that meant to be precluded in a secular state? It seems like your misunderstanding what secularism and church-state separation actually mean in practice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

They have the right to protest if they feel that the council isn't listening to their concerns for sure.

Obstruction is already prohibited in protest, so if there was genuine reason as to why they would be obstructing street traffic then the Gardaí could have been involved.

Your OP and subsequent posts aren't making a whole lot of sense. If people can lobby on the behalf of any other position, why can't Christians lobby? Why is that meant to be precluded in a secular state? It seems like your misunderstanding what secularism and church-state separation actually mean in practice.

They weren't blocking the street, they were blocking the entrance to the premisses.
    They were doing it to force the company out of business.
    The guards did become involved a few times if I remember correctly, but they could not spare a guard to stand by the shop 24/7, whereas the old biddies had their sleeping bags and flasks of tea, and seemed to work a rota.

That is not a democratic protest and form of expression, it's essentially mob tyranny.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    They weren't blocking the street, they were blocking the entrance to the premisses.
    They were doing it to force the company out of business.
    The guards did become involved a few times if I remember correctly, but they could not spare a guard to stand by the shop 24/7, whereas the old biddies had their sleeping bags and flasks of tea, and seemed to work a rota.

That is not a democratic protest and form of expression, it's essentially mob tyranny.

How is it not a democratic protest? - These people were letting their voices be heard. There was no reason why others couldn't come along to protest against them. Western society has a tradition of freedom of expression and conscience. These people as far as I remember were residents in the local area who were genuinely concerned about this. Why shouldn't they protest if they genuinely feel that this was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I'm a Christian who is pro-secularism. My problem is when atheists add stuff to it. Separation of church and state was to allow freedom of religion in America between churches. It wasn't to say that people with faith should shutup.

Revisionist twaddle that gets more tiresome with each telling.

Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

How is it not a democratic protest? - These people were letting their voices be heard. There was no reason why others couldn't come along to protest against them. Western society has a tradition of freedom of expression and conscience. These people as far as I remember were residents in the local area who were genuinely concerned about this. Why shouldn't they protest if they genuinely feel that this was wrong?
    Sabotage of business. Should nationalists have the right to prevent access to an immigrant's business based on their right of free speech?
    Your OP and subsequent posts aren't making a whole lot of sense. If people can lobby on the behalf of any other position, why can't Christians lobby?

I'm not sure I understand your point. I don't think a religious group should be allowed to influence social law based on their faith. If they have some practical opposition, such as opposition to a strip club based on concern for children in the area (is an valid argument if not debatable).

But if they oppose civil partnerships/marraige for homosexuals based on a religious doctrine or tradition then it is unacceptable.

Why? because its not a threat to anyone. It's imposing their unproven, faith based illogical religious views on someone who doesn't share the same faith.

Revisionist twaddle that gets more tiresome with each telling.

Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

I'm afraid it's not twaddle :)

The reason the state didn't favour religion was because under British rule in New England Baptists, Jews, Puritans and Presbyterians were persecuted by the Anglican establishment and the State.

Church - State separation led to the freedom of religion that has allowed churches to prosper without persecution.

Read for example how the first synagogue in the US came about. There was correspondence between Washington and the Jews involved. Will link when off phone.

What is true revisionism is that Jefferson wanted to stop Christians barred from political discourse.

So you feel it's perfectly right to intimidate customers of a business you want to go bankrupt, just because you happen to disagree with the business?

I'm sorry, that's neither protest nor a tradition of Western society. Maybe with the exception of Sicillian society.

The freedom to express your views, just like any other freedoms, stops where it infringes on the freedoms of others, in this case the business owner, his employees and their customers.
    What happened with Stringfellows was not protesting, it was clear and outright bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

What is true revisionism is that Jefferson wanted to stop Christians barred from political discourse.

Now that was dirty pool.
    I didn't say that did I?

The fact that you have adopted the accomodationist position is hardly surprising and neither is your blinkered view of the creation of the Establishment Clause.

Honestly the positions that you'll contort yourself into for your god is alarming.

Now that was dirty pool.
    I didn't say that did I?

The fact that you have adopted the accomodationist position is hardly surprising and neither is your blinkered view of the creation of the Establishment Clause.

Honestly the positions that you'll contort yourself into for your god is alarming.

American history and the writings if the founding fathers make it clear that church-state separation was to ensure religious freedom. Look to Washington's letter to the Jews at Newport the first Jewish congregation in the US.

That's just historical fact. I can't honestly see your real objection to church - state separation being intended to bring better religious freedom in New England at that time given the history of each state having an established religion under the British bar Maryland I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Every law to some degree is influenced by religion back in the day religion was the only organised repository of knowledge and morals. There are good and bad aspects of every thing, lets not throw out the baby.

If it's wasn't for relgious laws I would be now coveting your wife and possesions!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not having to work on December 25th and 26th is influenced by religious opinion.

Damn those religious opinions, I LIKE WORK!

faceman wrote: »
    Not having to work on December 25th and 26th is influenced by religious opinion.

Damn those religious opinions, I LIKE WORK!

I agree. I bloody HATE the packed shops, the traffic and the stupid expectation of your family that you are speding the day with them stuffing your face on food you can't stand.

I've had a few jobs in the past where I was working those days and absolutely loved it. No stress, no hassle, and the perfect excuse to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Which is while there need to be processes and regulations in place to ensure that "democracy" doesn't turn into "tyranny of the majority".
    In short, a democracy without a framework of laws guaranteeing the untouchable rights of minority groups would be a pretty nasty place to live.
    Secularism is one of those frameworks.

Agreed, which is why secularism protects the right of people to vote for someone on the basis of their religion if they so choose, even though this logic would be rejected by the majority.

Secularism ensures there is no undue influence of religion on politics, its not about removing all religious voices from the room (as the idea the OP put forward with his open question). A religious person choosing to back a like-minded candidate isn't undue influence, it's simply democracy (unless there's gerrymandering involved, which is a different story).

and the stupid expectation of your family that you are speding the day with them stuffing your face on food you can't stand.

Well if you become a vegetarian, you get stuck with sprouts — you've no-one to blame but yourself ;)

Feathers wrote: »
    Agreed, which is why secularism protects the right of people to vote for someone on the basis of their religion if they so choose, even though this logic would be rejected by the majority.

Secularism ensures there is no undue influence of religion on politics, its not about removing all religious voices from the room (as the idea the OP put forward with his open question). A religious person choosing to back a like-minded candidate isn't undue influence, it's simply democracy (unless there's gerrymandering involved, which is a different story).

Good understanding of it. Some of the atheist posters think that secularism means that if you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu etc that you should shut up. Rather all it means is that proposals are considered on merit rather than which holy book they came from. It's not that faith-based views are banished, but rather that all views are considered on merit, and with no due deference to any particular religion.

Which in the US case clearly encouraged religious freedom rather than establishment Anglican led oppression.

Well if you become a vegetarian, you get stuck with sprouts — you've no-one to blame but yourself ;)

I wish they made sprouts, I like sprouts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was definitely a religious one, I remember seeing the biddies make a big show of praying out loud.

• Advertisement

Interesting... I'm pretty sure most posters so far have said exactly that, including myself.
    I'm not really sure what thread you were reading where people were suggested removing voting rights from religious people, or outlawing them from voicing their opinion?
    What had been suggested was that an opinion with no other basis than religious scripture and no further merit should not carry weight in a secular society. Your own religion should not be an excuse to force all of society to live by the rules dictated by your god.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It was definitely a religious one, I remember seeing the biddies make a big show of praying out loud.

It's amazing the way all those religious nuts don't converge outside churches to protest against all the child abuse. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And yet the Church and the Archbishop 2km up the road in Drumcondra stayed out of it
    But the Catholic Church in Ireland remained silent. Individual priests and seminarians got involved with the campaign but the Irish hierarchy declined to comment. Maria admits she was disappointed.

“There was no message of support from the Church,” she says “and you can quote me on that.

http://archive.catholicherald.co.uk/article/28th-july-2006/6/shamed-out-of-business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

mikemac1 wrote: »
    And yet the Church and the Archbishop 2km up the road in Drumcondra stayed out of it

I can picture them having nightmares about the crowd of priests trapped in Ireland's Largest Lingerie section all of a sudden.

Interesting... I'm pretty sure most posters so far have said exactly that, including myself.

Well you posted in reply to a point I made talking about "tyranny of the majority" — I got the impression from your reply that you weren't agreeing with what I'd posted at the time, maybe I took you up wrong.
    I'm not really sure what thread you were reading where people were suggested removing voting rights from religious people, or outlawing them from voicing their opinion?
    Secularism ensures there is no undue influence of religion on politics, its not about removing all religious voices from the room (as the idea the OP put forward with his open question).

From the original post:
    And should religious groups be banned from lobbying the government on law making decisions?

Lobbying is a part of our political process.

Lobbying is a part of our political process.

I read that as a question more than as a suggestion, but I can see how you could understand it that way.

I read that as a question more than as a suggestion, but I can see how you could understand it that way.

Regardless, it still opened the discussion. & now you know which thread I was reading :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Good understanding of it. Some of the atheist posters think that secularism means that if you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu etc that you should shut up.

I have seen few, if any, people expressing or representing that kind of opinion. I fear this might be another in a long list of propaganda based misrepresentations that you use to tar people who do not hold the opinions you do.

Again all secularism demands, to borrow slightly from Obamas Keynote speech,
    is that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into arguments that are amenable to discourse and reason that are accessible to people of all faiths or no faith at all.

Nope.

I don't recall saying that and if I did it wasn't my intention.

I specifically mean laws which are dictated by religious views.

I think I cleared that about a dozen times. If a christian has an opinion on divorce or gay marraige then they have a right to voice it, but if their opinion is based on a religious law, it should be discounted and that opinion should never influence democracy.
    They can lie or they may even have another solid reason why they object, and that is perfectly fine.

PS anyone who thinks ireland is a secular country is kidding themselves. It's swiftly moving away from the influence of the church but you only have to look at the schools to see the old theocracy is still dwelling within our infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Nope.

I don't recall saying that and if I did it wasn't my intention.

I specifically mean laws which are dictated by religious views.

I think I cleared that about a dozen times. If a christian has an opinion on divorce or gay marraige then they have a right to voice it, but if their opinion is based on a religious law, it should be discounted and that opinion should never influence democracy.
    They can lie or they may even have another solid reason why they object, and that is perfectly fine.

PS anyone who thinks ireland is a secular country is kidding themselves. It's swiftly moving away from the influence of the church but you only have to look at the schools to see the old theocracy is still dwelling within our infrastructure.

You might want to read the OP. This could be useful for people who claim it is a misconception that atheists often confuse secularism with shutting people of faith out of politics.
    Are there any current laws in irish society that are influenced specifically by a religious group?

for instance we all know about the former ban on contraception and divorce, the former was obviously a religious law.

And should religious groups be banned from lobbying the government on law making decisions?

The answer is of course not any more than Atheist Ireland shouldn't be banned from lobbying on the basis of atheism.

I don't think you understand the concept of secularism very much. It doesn't mean that people can't advocate X or Y even on the basis of a religious text, what it does mean is that all political decision making should be based on merit not no holy book X or Y.

As for schools, I'd be an advocate of the Irish system making more secular schools as is the case in Britain (66% secular 33% faith schools) to allow choice to parents.

The problem is when some atheists insist that secularism means stamping out faith from society when it clearly never has done if we look back to the early years of the United States for example.

Advertisement