Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head on collision - choose a tree rather than an oncoming car ?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

If faced with a car driving towards you is a hitting a tree a better option?

I've heard that a head on crash doubles the speed so is a solid tree a better idea ?

Hopefully I never have to choose but just wondering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

What a ridiculous post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you'd never know if you made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Lol

Yeah, oncoming car speed + your speed = speed of the collission, so tree may appear to be a better option, but then there would be hundreds of other factors you'd need to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Got to factor in what you are hitting. Is it a sapling or a huge oak tree!
    There would be some give in cars, with crumple zones and airbags etc, while trees are meant to just stand there solidly.
    Can I not just aim for the ditch?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mena wrote: »
    Lol

Yeah, oncoming car speed + your speed = speed of the collission, so tree may appear to be a better option, but then there would be hundreds of other factors you'd need to take into account.

Oncoming car at 100kph and you doing 100kph, would probably not be as bad as hitting an immovable object at 200kph in terms of deceleration time. The energy of the impact would be similar probably. So the outcome would be probably equally as bad with the crumpling of the cars.

If you hit an oncoming car that is doing 30kph, and you are doing 100kph, they will be pushed backwards, so again, its probably not the same as hitting something at 90kph which does not budge, the deceleration would probaby be higher hitting a solid tree square on that doesnt move at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Poll ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Obviously, the combined speed of two moving cars is far higher than the speed of one moving car and a tree. But, as mentioned, there are many other factors involved.

If it was me, I'd absolutely head for the tree. No hesitation. If you're going to be in a head-on collision, you're going to end up pretty f*cked up either way - why create more casualties? There could be children/babies in the back-seat of the other car - how could you live with yourself knowing that you'd made the choice to crash into that vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not actually as simple a calculation as above. 100kph + 100kph does not equal hitting a tree at 200kph because the vehicles absorb so much of the energy of the crash. On top of that you're unlikely to hit the other car dead head on, you'll hit eachother at even a slight angle, which reduces the forces involved.
    A tree is a scarier prospect because it provides very little give, so most of the force of the crash is transferred to your vehicle. It's circular profile means that hitting it from any angle is a "head on".

For most people I think hitting the tree is most obvious choice because you're only risking your own safety. Go for the other vehicle and you're dragging them into the incident and they could have two kids in the back, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Oncoming car at 100kph and you doing 100kph, would probably not be as bad as hitting an immovable object at 200kph in terms of deceleration time. The energy of the impact would be similar probably. So the outcome would be probably equally as bad.

In that scenario, you'd take hitting the car, as you would have two crumple zones to disipate the energy of the impact. Trees have no crumple zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Are we talking about an actual on the spot choice of which one to hit? I don't think I'd want to deliberately hit the car but I'd want nothing to do with a mature tree.

A couple of months back a people carrier hit a tree outside our house, not sure how fast he was going but he managed to mount the kerb, cross a bus stop and hit the tree.

The car was a writeoff, two passengers had to be cut out of the car and all 4 required separate ambulances.

The tree had two very small chips in the bark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

We hate trees in rallying circles. The crashes where most drivers are killed is because they hit trees, They can split a car in two like cheese wire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you would be very unlikely to get the chance to decide which to hit. Altthough people often say that an accident seemed to happen in "slow motion" ,in reality, they usually occur before you can react at all

In that scenario, you'd take hitting the car, as you would have two crumple zones to disipate the energy of the impact. Trees have no crumple zones.

In terms of reducing impact level, probably. But in reality avoiding hitting another car would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I can say I'd rather hit the tree, but in the moment, I know it probably wouldn't be like that!

corktina wrote: »
    you would be very unlikely to get the chance to decide which to hit. Altthough people often say that an accident seemed to happen in "slow motion" ,in reality, they usually occur before you can react at all

Yes its an unlikely choice to arise, but probably has at some time by some on rare occasions.

I think the slow motion thing is a hindsight thing probably. People can recall every detail of a serious occurrence that only took a couple of seconds to happen.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Poll ?

Probably not as bad as a tree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Go for the tree, every time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So many variables involved eg type and age of car, type of tree and diameter of trunk, angle of impact and how much of your car overlaps the tree/other car.

Given the choice between hitting a tree head on or hitting an oncoming HGV head on at double the closing speed I'd pick the tree every time and try to hit it with the centre of the front of the car. If oncoming vehicle is a car it's not as clear cut. One disadvantage of hitting a car is the other driver might make a move which makes the angle unfavourable for you and maybe him as well

The Renault Laguna II was very solid when driven into a big tree at 55 mph impacting with the centre of the front of the car - however the forces on the occupants from the sudden stop may have caused death or serious injury

The much older design Ford Sierra perfomed terribly when driven into a tree like barrier at a similar angle and speed

The IIHS have recently started doing small overlap crash tests at 40 mph, if you hit a big tree with this overlap and speed the results would probably be reasoanly similar. The Lexus IS did badly in this test, your legs would be smashed and you'd be trapped in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depends on whose fault it is that I suddenly find myself faced with an oncoming car:

- if it's mine I'd try for the tree
    - if it isn't I'd take my chances with the crumple zones (especially as my van would most likely hump the oncoming car)

harsh, but true :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Mythbusters answered the question with regards impact speed and force on a car in a head on collision and hitting a wall head on

Basically makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hal Decks wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post!

That's not ridiculous post. That's actualy very wise question, as everyone might be forced to make that kind of choice some day and it's better to know what to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If 2 cars each at 50km/h crash head on, assuming they are the same kind of cars (the same crumple zones, the same weight, etc) it will be equal effect as each of them hitting the wall at 50km/h.
    Therefore if it was similar car to mine doing similar speed, I would choose to hit oncoming car head on that a tree. (just because it's way better to hit a wall than a tree).

But if there was big difference in weight or speed of vehicles (other vehicle much heavier or going much faster) I would probably choose to hit a tree.

F.e. If small car weighting 1 tonne doing 50km/h would hit another car doing the same speed but weigting 2 tonnes, effect would be like heavier car hit a wall at 33.3 km/h while lighter car like it would hit a wall at 66.6 km/h.
    And this additionally means that twice the speed of accident, makes accident 4 times worse, as there is 4 times more energy to absorb.

CiniO wrote: »
    If 2 cars each at 50km/h crash head on, assuming they are the same kind of cars (the same crumple zones, the same weight, etc) it will be equal effect as each of them hitting the wall at 50km/h.
    Therefore if it was similar car to mine doing similar speed, I would choose to hit oncoming car head on that a tree. (just because it's way better to hit a wall than a tree).

But if there was big difference in weight or speed of vehicles (other vehicle much heavier or going much faster) I would probably choose to hit a tree.

F.e. If small car weighting 1 tonne doing 50km/h would hit another car doing the same speed but weigting 2 tonnes, effect would be like heavier car hit a wall at 33.3 km/h while lighter car like it would hit a wall at 66.6 km/h.
    And this additionally means that twice the speed of accident, makes accident 4 times worse, as there is 4 times more energy to absorb.
    So moral of the story is to buy a Hummer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

robbie7730 wrote: »
    In terms of reducing impact level, probably. But in reality avoiding hitting another car would be preferable.

If you have morals, you'll go for the tree.

If you have morals, you'll go for the tree.

I thought thats what I said more or less:)

Although if it was the other drivers stupidity, maybe it would be better to hit them than watch them see you hit a tree, and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Your more than likely dead either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't underestimate trees. Hitting even a small one is probably worse than hitting a solid concrete wall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

unkel wrote: »
    Don't underestimate trees. Hitting even a small one is probably worse than hitting a solid concrete wall
    Yes, and trees with relatively small diameter (say 20 cm) but which are strong enough to not break when hit by a car might be the worst ones - due to the impact being concentrated on a small area of the car's structure. A huge tree with a 1 metre diameter trunk might be more forgiving.

Also, as bad as it is to hit a tree head on, hitting one side on is much worse.

Opel Omega vs pole, 98 km/h
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QsKZWYYjfE#t=03m23s

• Advertisement

If only all cars were built like modern WRC cars.

Both driver and co-driver escaped with only minor bruises!

Advertisement