Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man avoids jail for sexually assaulting two nieces

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/car-dealer-avoids-jail-for-sexually-assaulting-two-nieces-3249984.html
    He ordered that Farrington's name can be reported in the media after hearing the victims have no problem with this.

"This will be a punishment in itself," the judge added. "He will be rightfully held in public odium for what he has done."

Since when was it the medias job to administrate justice?

This really pisses me off, is being named and shamed not a consequence of being a dirty pervert!

The guy walks free and sends out a message to other dirtbags they can get away with it and a message to victims that there is no point going to the courts you won't get justice!

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

How can you "accidentally" abuse someone three times? A once off is unacceptable, and you'd still wonder about it being accidental but THREE times? The last line of the article reads "a family has been destroyed".

Yes, a family has been destroyed, by this man abusing his nieces. And he seems to have walked away scott free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Scumbag....vigilante justice will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Heard this on the radio this morning and was sickened by it. Sentencing guidelines really need to be examined in relation to sexual assaults in this country.

Also heard his wife was making statements on his behalf saying what a wonderful person, husband and father he is. The mind boggles, it really does.

It says he has four kids himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

"People on one side believe a punishment should be imposed and people on the other believe I shouldn't be as severe," he continued..............

Farrington was not added to the sex offender's register as the victims were over 18 and a suspended sentence was given"

My only conclusion is he sucked off the judge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Another sad example that our Judges are becoming more and more sepreated from society and real life as time goes on they seem to have less and less perspective on justice and fairness.. How insulting for these poor girls after they were brave enough to come forward..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

If you sexually assault somebody, you should go to prison, no ifs or buts or bullshít, it almost gives first offenders a free pass to try their luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Saw that story this morning. It's so horrible and disheartening and I feel for the nieces so much. In refusing to administer a custodial sentence the judge has at best dismissed the actions of a man who abused a family's trust to abuse his own family members, he has implied that these actions are not worthy of time in prison and he has encourage vigilantism (the implication being that by naming him, natural justice will take its course).

Our judicial representatives really do live on another planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

tigger123 wrote: »

Also heard his wife was making statements on his behalf saying what a wonderful person, husband and father he is. The mind boggles, it really does.

Next we'll have the priest saying he's a mighty man for going to mass. Sick Fcuker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

no custodial sentence ....and to top it off his name isnt even put on the sex offenders register because they were over 18.

If i remember correctly the bloke Lyons who was in the paper a while back, his name was added to the register and his victim was over the age of 18.

Why does Farrington get a pass on this aswell.

"the incidents of abuse lasted a short amount of time and were lower down the scale compared with other cases that come before the court" - from the Kildarenationalist.ie

just makes me sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

davet82 wrote: »
    Says the guy who starts a thread on a social media website to facilitate exactly what the judge suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is the same judge who sent a man to jail for not paying tax on garlic. Should be on trial himself.

He wasn't even placed on the sex offenders list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Says the guy who starts a thread on a social media website to facilitate exactly what the judge suggested.

there is a huge difference between consquence and justice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

This is the same judge who sent a man to jail for not paying tax on garlic. Should be on trial himself.

Vigilante justice is free.

But people not paying taxes? That costs the state money if they all start getting the idea into their heads that they can get away with it.

padd b1975 wrote: »

You obviously then feel this thread is an appropriate response to the crime he was found guilty of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He said that all the incidents of abuse lasted a short amount of time and were lower down the scale compared with other cases that come before the court.

{.........}

He came into the room, pulled down her underwear and performed oral sex on her as the victim lay there shocked and crying. When he stopped he said sorry and told her: "I must have been sleepwalking." The next day he begged her not to tell anyone.

:confused:

This ****ing judge should be given a jail sentence, fucking cunt.

Euch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I see that once again "drinking heavily at the time" was a factor. That phrase is used almost like an excuse, and far too often for my liking.

You obviously then feel this thread is an appropriate response to the crime he was found guilty of?
    Obviously??
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    I feel it is neither appropriate or inappropriate.

However, I do feel that a thread here and other media comment on the case is inevitable.

Perhaps when passing comment, the judge hoped that the abuser would read some of the comments about himself and it may reinforce the wrongness of what he did to his victims and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I really feel people should write to their local TDs, opposition included, about the sentencing for sexual assault in Ireland. It’s an absolute joke in this country and its hard enough for people to come forward without being made to feel you won’t even be taken seriously. What kind of message does this non-sentence give out?! I wrote to numerous TDs about this issue, when the ‘sentence’ for Anthony Lyons was handed down – and while TDs can’t or shouldn’t be able to influence specific cases, they can raise the issue of sentencing as a whole… Apparently there is a review of the penal policy, including sentencing happening shortly and the Law Reform Commission is also reviewing the law on mandatory sentences. If people keep the pressure on maybe something will be done about it.

• Advertisement

there is a huge difference between consquence and justice.

O yeah I agree totally.

I also think that the judge got one thing right when passing sentence (3 years suspended), he allowed the abusers name to be reported in the media, more of this please. except when it is a parent who abuses their children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What the f*ck is wrong with the judges
    Seriously

I do hope there is some vigilante justice here since that seems to be what they are pushing for :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Judges like him should be ashamed of themselves.

Sentences like this are disheartening to victims of abuse and to the Gardaì who compile the cases only for a numpty not to deem it serious enough that it warrants a serious sentence.

Name and shame should accompany the sentence, not BE the sentence.
    He came into the room, pulled down her underwear and performed oral sex on her as the victim lay there shocked and crying. When he stopped he said sorry and told her: "I must have been sleepwalking." The next day he begged her not to tell anyone.

You have got to be fùcking joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

These women are in their forties now, why wait so long to report it ? I'm not sure i disagree with the sentence.

OP your thread title is slightly misleading again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Poor old Garlic man he should have fcuked up peoples lives rather than the finances of a failed corrupt state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Of course he gets off, Says a lot about the mindset of some judges here, Sure in his younger days training as a solicitor sex abuse/rape was swept under the carpet. We need new judges new police force etc, What we have is tainted by sleaze and hypocrisy.

Justice my ass..

These women are in their forties now, why wait so long to report it ? I'm not sure i disagree with the sentence.

OP your thread title is slightly misleading again.

Do you think the sentence is proportionate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Do you think the sentence is proportionate?

I think the sentence is right in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Wouldn't it be hard to critizise these people if they pooled their money together and got a few thugs to give this fella a going over...

I know the rule of law is the rule of law but cases like this are bizzare as to their lack of justice... If it were my family I would be thinking of some home cooked justice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Does anyone else think this is a bit weird (apart from the obvious reasons)?
    The victim here was 22 year old adult - how did he even get as far as pulling down this womans underwear without being told to fcuk off, get out, what the hell are you doing etc? Unless ofcourse she was actually afraid of this guy?

Advertisement