Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig/Gsg 1911

Options
  • 11-05-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Starting to look into buying a .22 pistol but will hopefully import it myself all going well, looking at Germany but I need a few websites and was hoping that if anyone knows of a good one that they might post a link up here so I could check it out.
    Big thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/
    Main page for German sport guns.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    http://www.gsg-waffen.de/
    Main page for German sport guns.
    they will only deal with the irish distribouter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Tommyboy recently bought one he might be able to helP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

.243 wrote: »
    they will only deal with the irish distribouter

And that is who???:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And that is who???:confused:

http://www.gunshop.ie/
    Paddy Fagan.
    The only man to deal with when it comes to pistols in the R.O.I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Bought one of these Gsg1911 and got a good deal on it, i'm one month now with the application starting to lose hope with the threads out there about this firearm, the 1911 frame i would of taught was one of the most popular firearms of all time and a regular turn up at compitition..fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I am just in the door to find a letter refusing me for the GSG.....
    What to do now...

What to do now...

what reason did they give?

• Advertisement

What to do now...

Its not the end of the world , have you met with the super yet ? If not seek a meeting to put your case to him to licence it. What reason was given for the refusal ?

to Quote the stand in superintendent

"having examined the relevant legislation and consulted with our Ballistics Section, I am of the opinion that this is a restricted short firearm.
    Therefore,this licence application is not appropriate under current legislation."

Guess the man man is allowed have an opinion....

I assume you have had the magazines restricted to 5 rounds and told them so on the application ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

A GSG1911 is one option I had not ruled out, considering one of my alternatives is a Sig .22 mosquito that is 90 odd percent reduction look of a fullsize sig 226, Im wondering what hope I might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would try for a meeting, there are plenty of lads have them so he can't really say it's restricted because once the mag is plugged it's not. I would try and get the point across that there are loads of them already licenced i'm sure he can check it on the pulse system if he is in doubt.

Merch wrote: »
    A GSG1911 is one option I had not ruled out, considering one of my alternatives is a Sig .22 mosquito that is 90 odd percent reduction look of a fullsize sig 226, Im wondering what hope I might have.

Don't waste your time with the Sig mosquito they are a ball of scrap.

juice1304 wrote: »

+1, rubbish.

juice1304 wrote: »

+1 to above...sig mosquito was the first pistol i bought and it broke my heart.... stay well away from it

its not restricted i have one!!!! once the mags are plugged to take 5 rounds is unrestricted. i would request a meeting with the super and go explain my case. the main thing i would suggest is to go in with a cool head and stay calm and explain that you meet all the requirements to licence one.

or you could go and get a very good gun thats on the list , namely the ruger mk2 or mk3 or browning buckmark and save yourself a lot of grief.

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    I assume you have had the magazines restricted to 5 rounds and told them so on the application ?
    EU Council Directive 91 477 EEC: Class B which is quoted on my bill of sale along with the info of a 5 shot only mag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    +1 to above...sig mosquito was the first pistol i bought and it broke my heart.... stay well away from it

Apology for sidetracking the thread
    the above about the Sig is a shame as it looks like a nice pistol with a few safety features, I was a bit concerned of the sights as it looks like there is minimal adjustment and that the barrel length looks short, but also as it looks very "standard" looking, like the GSG1911, not that I've a problem with that, but maybe others would.
    I was set on a ruger mk3 but the price and concern of not getting licenced encouraged me to go for a cheaper starting pistol then maybe get a change of licence (Id have to look it up an FCA2).

Was the issue/s? people experienced or are aware of regarding cycling or accuracy? or both/something else

Hijack ended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

to Quote the stand in superintendent

"having examined the relevant legislation and consulted with our Ballistics Section, I am of the opinion that this is a restricted short firearm.
    Therefore,this licence application is not appropriate under current legislation."

Guess the man man is allowed have an opinion....

As long as you have people in control of issuing firearms licenses based on opinion - often ill-informed - rather than facts, you will never have a satisfactory and equable fireams licensing system in place.

tac

You would far more likely be granted the mk3 as it is on the list in comparison to the others. That is what i am going for myself.:) Sweet gun one of the best rimfire pistols going in my opinion.

tac foley wrote: »
    As long as you have people in control of issuing firearms licenses based on opinion - often ill-informed - rather than facts, you will never have a satisfactory and equable fireams licensing system in place.

tac

As soon as you hear a copper talking about the ballistics section you know you are in trouble. I don't know what the ballistics dept can say or add to the application anyway, its a standard .22lr as fired by any rimfire on the magic list.

Have you phoned the firearms policy unit for their opinion ? The supers don't pay a blind bit of notice of them but it would be interesting to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A GSG 1911 .22 pistol with the magazine plugged to 5 shots is most definitely not a restricted pistol.

Several lads in my club have them and there's no problem.

If you go back to your Super with a letter from a dealer saying that the pistol magazines are plugged to 5 rounds or will be plugged to 5 rounds before you take possession of it, then there should be no problem. Or maybe even bring in the bill of sale and show him where it says that the mags are 5 round mags.

The only thing that normally would make this a restricted firearm is if the magazine isn't plugged to allow it to only take 5 rounds.

Try the letter from the dealer approach or the bill of sale approach and see where it gets you.

Don't give up and leave it so. I'd keep trying if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As the others have said, this is incorrect; call the FPU and explain the situation to them. They may well be able to solve the problem quietly (ie. cheaply, permanently and effectively).

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A GSG 1911 .22 pistol with the magazine plugged to 5 shots is most definitely not a restricted pistol.

Several lads in my club have them and there's no problem.

If you go back to your Super with a letter from a dealer saying that the pistol magazines are plugged to 5 rounds or will be plugged to 5 rounds before you take possession of it, then there should be no problem. Or maybe even bring in the bill of sale and show him where it says that the mags are 5 round mags.

The only thing that normally would make this a restricted firearm is if the magazine isn't plugged to allow it to only take 5 rounds.

Try the letter from the dealer approach or the bill of sale approach and see where it gets you.

Don't give up and leave it so. I'd keep trying if I were you.

My bill of sale was included in my application and it clearly had printed on it info about the mag capacity only being 5 shot. But I'll will be trying to put this across again when ever I get the super on the phone... As I'm trying at the moment....

Sparks wrote: »
    As the others have said, this is incorrect; call the FPU and explain the situation to them. They may well be able to solve the problem quietly (ie. cheaply, permanently and effectively).

Rang the FPU tis morn talked to a nice man you explained to me that once I applied for a non Olympic pistol that i was at his mercy, and that when the gun was also not on the magic list which has some non Olympic pistols on it, it just was not going to help matters.
    He said its different everywhere he knows of lads that have them non restricted but that the different superindents veiw and that notting is nailed down and that the laws need to be changed again to fix the problem.
    He said to buy from the list or consider an appeal to the district court.
    Hmmm…

• Advertisement

There used to be a clause in the commisioners guidelines that stated a .22 pistol could be considered for a non restricted licence if it was restricted to 5 rounds and had a barrel length of over 112mm (i think). I checked last night and this paragraph has been deleted, so it appears moves are afoot to restrict licenceable pistol to whats on the list alone.
    This was never the intention or reason behind the list so i am told, but once again the gardai have bent the rules to suit themselves.

Advertisement