Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Ritual

Options
  • 24-02-2011 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

I recent read "The Fry Chronicles", in the first chapter or two he outlines his daily ritual, pipe smoking. While explaining it he refers to a quote from Ian Fleming which is something like "The best drink of the day is the one just before the first". The preperation and anticipation for his ritual nearly outweights the actual ritual itself.

For Stephen Fry his ritual was cleaning out his pipe, filling it and then the pipe itself. All of which carried out with care to detail and great pride.

Myself, I am not sure if I have anything as refined as Fry's, my father would always use make his coffee himself. Grind the beans, strain it, etc. For me I guess routine would be my ritual although it cant exactly be summed up by one defining action.

So tGC, what is your daily ritual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Years ago, I used to be a cannabis fan. My ritual was to get home from work, get my rolling tray from under the bed, take out some papers, tear off a tiny strip of cardboard, taking the tobacco out of a cig, crumbling the "stuff", rolling sealing tamping and roaching.

If I'm honest, that was the best bit. almost better than the smoking. Love that quote about the best drink being the one before the first, certainly encapsulates the way I felt about joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Just to correct that quote, it was ;
    "To Bond, the best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm reading that book at the moment too - love the quote.

TBH I don't really have any rituals, just habits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I shave with a DE safety razor and I guess the shave and particularly the preparation is a bit of a bi-daily ritual for me.

I thoroughly enjoy going through the whole preparation of pre-shave face wash and scrub, the pre-shave balm, preparation of the perfect lather in my shave bowl - warm, wet, but not too wet etc... softening the brush bristles, heating the razor slightly under hot water.

Then on to the shave - I do 3 passes, different directions, different techniques on different parts of my face etc...and then the post shave wash, alum block, balm etc...

I have a specific routine for this and follow it religiously and although it isn't the quickest method of shaving, for me it is the best and I thoroughly enjoy taking the time to savour it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Uriel. wrote: »
    I shave with a DE safety razor and I guess the shave and particularly the preparation is a bit of a bi-daily ritual for me.

I thoroughly enjoy going through the whole preparation of pre-shave face wash and scrub, the pre-shave balm, preparation of the perfect lather in my shave bowl - warm, wet, but not too wet etc... softening the brush bristles, heating the razor slightly under hot water.

Then on to the shave - I do 3 passes, different directions, different techniques on different parts of my face etc...and then the post shave wash, alum block, balm etc...

I have a specific routine for this and follow it religiously and although it isn't the quickest method of shaving, for me it is the best and I thoroughly enjoy taking the time to savour it :)

I do this too. The anticipation of having a shave with all the smells and "uber manly" things is quite the treat :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Generally, get up out of bed, switch the iron on, put on a kettle of water, go back iron clothes, by the time im finished the kettle will have boiled and i go shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

It's shaving for me too. I don't go as indepth with the actual shave as Uriel every day, maybe once a week I'll do it that well,

But yeah start off with the shower, then over to the sink, some preshave cream or skinfood, and then start to build the lather in a bowl, until it's just right, just thick enough to form little peaks in the bottom of the bowl when you lift out the brush.

Then applying the cream in circular motion with the brush, until there's a nice buld up of lather on my face. Then with short strokes shave in one direction (with the grain), apply another layer of lather and leave it on my face until I have the brush, bowl and razor washed off and then clean my face with cold water. (closes the pores). Then run an alum block over the face and some more skinfood/preshave cream and finish with aftershave. Great way to start the day.

Then dress and down stairs for an actimel, and banana and out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I probably ritualise when I barbecue food...arrange the utensils for cooking...stoke up a good fire...plan out the lighting of the fire in conjunction with when we want to eat the food...make sure the fire's not too hot...throw some water soaked applewood on the fire just before cooking time commences...arrange the plates,cloths and things that I'll use throughout the cooking....and of course have the meat marinaded or whatever and out of the fridge a good 1/2 hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature.....yea...a bit anal really...:o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

While not a daily ritual, Darkroom work would be my favourite. Lining all the chemicals and trays up and loading the film in the dark all by feel is great. Sadly I do more digital processing than film now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For me it's getting home, sorting out what's for dinner, then taking the dog for a walk, making dinner, and that's the end of the day, after that it's downtime :D

Nine o'clock is the sacred hour, one shall not work, cook, clean, walk, iron etc after that hour.

Actually the nine o'clock in the evening thing would be my most held to ritual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Listening to a song. Over the years it has been a ritual that has evolved as my circumstances have changed. There was a time it was from a tape, from a c.d, from a mp3 player. I find i have gone technology full circle and these days it's from vinyl.

I wake up, turn on my speakers and hit the power button on my mixer, the delightful muted thump from the cones as the signal comes to life. I go through my stacks of vinyl until i find the track i want to listen to. I have no idea what it is on any given day but something always jumps out at me, sets my mood for the day ahead or cements my dreams from the night before.

I remove the vinyl from it's sleeve and check it for dust and debris, i place it on the platter and turn on the power and start it spinning. I check the needly for dust before placing it on the outer edge and sit back and enjoy the dull soft crackle as the needle follows the groove, hits the start of the pressing itself and the song begins.

A vocal, strings, a kick drum...it doesn't matter...it's my song for the day and nothing else is getting done until it fades out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wake up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head. Then find my way downstairs and drink a cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

When I was at home - the daily read of the Irish Times. Reading a good paper on a daily basis was a good habit i picked up from my Dad and I kind of ritualised it.

Everyday I could find the time - put paper on couch, put the kettle on, make a sandwich/snack, find any kind of footstool, put on some music at low volumes (this turned into Off The Ball at one point but that was distracting), make tea and then sit down and attempt a cover to cover reading with my feet up.

Pure simpicity but also peaceful bliss. It's something I miss greatly since leaving Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I dont have rituals that i actually enjoy :(

Just routines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Though it wouldn't be a daily ritual, what I really enjoy is refueling and reflinting my Zippo lighter. Then changing the wick to make it look brand new again. I don't even smoke, but having a Zippo just makes me feel powerful for some reason. :D

As for daily, all I can think is making scrambled eggs in the morning with a coffee. I break the eggs, mix, and put into the microwave for three minutes. Start the microwave and throw on the kettle. After a minute, mix the eggs again and pour milk and coffee into a cup. Another minute, another mix of the eggs. Stir the milk and coffee together. By the time the eggs are done, so is the kettle. Serve the eggs, pour the water into the coffee - and have breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Wake up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head. Then find my way downstairs and drink a cup.

Do you often find yourself being late :-)

I have some activities I treat as rituals but might not be daily. Some that spring to mind are shaving with a DE razor, making good coffee from bean to cup, pruning the bonsai tree, servicing the car, listening to an album from start to finish with no interruptions.

I think the common denominator is that I find peace in the actions of slowly and methodically doing these things, the output from the actions is a nice plus too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Uriel. wrote: »

Reading this, I might go home at lunchtime just to have a shave. It might cheer me up a bit.

I have too many to list coherently I think. Most of my daily routine is fixed with a variable time in the evening which can be filled with any one of a few things.

Mainly though I would start my day with a morning meditation, a long run, a hot shower and a breakfast all before work.

Then work.

The evening after work then involves evening cycle, capoeira/jujitsu practice but never both in one day, evening meal cooking then has become a hobby for me as much as a routine and I love cooking.

Then the Variable part of whatever I want to get up with with time before bed.

Then night meditation and then bed.

So I wouldnt know what to pick out of all that to by my equivalanet of that daily ritual I obtain the most relaxation or pleasure from. I guess the meditation or the cooking but to be honest I wouldnt change any of it.

Then I do whatever thing it is I want with my evening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think about the only thing I do consistently every day is shower when I get up, or after breakfast on weekends
    get ready and tear out of the house for work, work, then have a variety of things going on in the evenings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Brush my teeth while pissing, get dressed, leg it or I'll be late for work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

For me, it's feeding my dog. Boil the chicken, shred said chicken, add doggy nut thingies and some of the jelly from her normal food and then stand back and watch her gobble the food with delight. She then comes over to say thanks and we play-fight for a while. It's the best feeling in the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I have 2. The daily one is having a shower and getting ready. I just love it - love standing under the hot water, love the feel of it tapping on my scalp, lathering up, body lotion afterwards, skincare and makeup routine.

The second is an old ritual that´s been recently resurrected: supper. Recently started having supper again and forgotten how much I love it. Nutella toast and a hot cup of milk right before bed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ritual Mon-Thurs is below:

alarm @ 7am
    Walk to kitchen and fill kettle and put onto boil
    Grab a yop, walk to bedroom and switch on iron.
    Yop into bin and then to toilet
    Iron beep goes to let me know its hot, iron shirt
    Grab (now boiled) kettle go to bathroom
    Shave
    Leave kettle on counter for wife
    Clothes on and out for bus

...... 30 mins later txt from wife "where's the kettle??!"
    My reply "Same place i leave it every morning"

Fridays I dont shave

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've a few...

I feel awful if I don't have my morning shower. Always goes the same way too... get in, soak hair and body, apply shampoo, apply shower gel, rinse, and repeat :)

Also, I adore washing my car, though dragging down almost 100L of water to an underground carpark is a pain.
    But it's so methodical... panel by panel, rinsing off the lambskin mitt at regular intervals using two buckets, the rinse... then with the interior, cleaning the leather seats, the dash, the windows... it's so relaxing, and to see the finished product of your work is awesome.

I have to say, I do enjoy my rituals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Used to be, hit snooze button 20 times then shower and out the door.

Completely changed over the last while.

Up at 6.00 drink a pint of water.
    Stick running gear on and out the door for a run.
    Back in the gaffe at about 7.20, stick some porridge in the microwave.
    Jump in the shower after a good shave, then head down and eat.

Then it's out the door to work :D

I have to say that ever since I started this I will never go back, feel great and ready for the day after my morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wake up at 6am. Hit sync on my phone for checking my e-mails, get out of bed while that's doing it's thing. Throw a clean shirt into the dryer on high heat. Go brush my teeth, put a bit of hair gel in one hand. When I gargle the mouth wash I gel my hair. After that I go back to the dryer take out my shirt and put it on. Finish getting dressed. Make sure I have my Work Badge, Wallet, Keys and Phone and drive to work. Arrive at work at 7am, Usually get a fruit cup and a drink and start the day.

When I get home, I check my mail, go to the gym and then back to the apartment, have a shave and a shower and either study or watch tv.

Being a grown up f'kin sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stoppress

Been on the disability allowance [start bonkers deaf so cant hear nuff all without the hearing aids] means I am by free admittance a lazy so and so. Although I do try to keep myself in shape and shave every 2 days. I have very sensitive skin so cant shave every day or use after shave/balm or anything as if I do my face well go bonkers for several hours. Though ol life eeehh.
    By the way, back in the day when I was young I did give everything a go. A 2 year apprenticeship with the NLN in Tralee and had quiet a major set up for my day. :)
    Up at 7 get the bus, off to my place off toll, lunch, having a flirt with she who well not be named and then off home again before 6.
    Once home, TV, dinner, TV, cup off tea. Off for a shower, then bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Start work at 7:30 and take a dump at 8:10 every day, sit there for 20 mins flicking through twitter, sit and wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Brush my teeth while pissing

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

My weekly ritual of planning each daily meal. In the last few months I've really geared up my fitness so what I eat and when I eat it gives me a buzz. I had nothing but veg the other day and was high as a kite. No lie! The only thing is I've quit the gym and lost 7lbs of muscle. That sucks

Advertisement