Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 30: homemade pizza

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tried this tonight. Made the dough in my breadmaker using half strong white flour and half semolina flour (I used a total 600g of flour). Made the sauce to the letter of the recipe (I doubled the portions) and it was excellent, thanks Dinkie :)

Made 3 smaller thinner pizzas, about 10" each and one slightly bigger and thicker one. Kept half of the sauce for the freezer as well as two of the smaller pizzas (oven cooked them for 5 minutes and froze them)

With one of the small ones I just added mozzarella and cheddar - for the kids. They absolutely loved it

With the big one, I added mozzarella, cheddar, red onions, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and chorizo. It was fabulous

pizza_6.jpg

Definitely a new regular in our household. Another thing I really like about this recipe is that I'd nearly always have all the required ingredients in the house (and for the topping you'd always have something suitable too lying around somewhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

This was a great one - fair play to ya dinkie. I did a few things a bit differently though: being lazy, made the dough in the breadmaker (in fairness, it does a perfect job) and also threw in a teaspoon or so of dried oregano into the dough.

I also rolled the dough extra thin (cos that's the way we like them) and cranked the oven up to 270C (the max) instead of 180 in in order to get a little bit of charring.

d4epN.jpg

Made a few different ones but one above is sweet chilli chicken and yellow peppers.

Had a little plate of nice pesto as a dip and some cold beer, ahhhh.... suppers don't get any better.

Had never made pizza before so I tried this last Saturday. I used the quantities mentioned. I used 2/3rds of the dough in the first one, not really knowing how thick it'd end up. Was an inch thick! Still tasty but very doughy.

Used the rest of the dough and the sauce tonight, and was lovely and crispy. I know in future I'll just make 3 pizzas out of the dough in future. Very handy as well to freeze, this is a recipe I'll be using again!

Made 8 of them today :D

Both base and sauce freeze very well (as I tried the last time) so I ate 3 (two small basic margheritas, one big margherita with added red onion, salami, mushroom, sundried tomato, feta cheese and fresh spinach), froze 5.

The sauce is also a decent base for a bolognese sauce and works well in a pasta bake. Very versatile!

And a quick calculation of the cost comes to about €2 for the base and €10 for the sauce including sauces, condiments, and all other decent quality ingredients. That's €12 in total for my 8 pizzas, so €1,50 per pizza margherita

And this is not junk food folks, each pizza contains nearly 2 portions of your daily fruit & veg already before adding any veggie toppings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

unkel wrote: »
    Made 8 of them today :D

And this is not junk food folks, each pizza contains nearly 2 portions of your daily fruit & veg already before adding any veggie toppings

Thanks Unkel!

Thats usually my plan, I try and add as many veg as possible into recipes as I find it hard to get my 5 a day! I often add carrot, peppers - basically what ever veg I can find that won't change the colour of the tomato sauce.

It also works for my picky eater sister as she doesn't realise what is in the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Using a standard dough recipe, I find the 'fried pizza' recipe from 'Jamie Olivers Italy' works a treat. You roll out your proven dough as normal and dust it with flour/ semolina.

Heat a small amount of oil in a pan big enough to hold your base and fry the raw base on both sides for 30 seconds. Remove from the pan to a grill rack and add all your toppings.

Set your rack to grill the pizza as near to the grill as possible (as close to the heat as possible). Grill till your cheese melts and the toppings take on some colour.

It really works well!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I made pizza dough for the fiurst time yesterday. Cant believe how easy it was! It took a while to rise but thats only because my house is so damn cold.

Now to pick toppings!

Can you freeze the dough?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Freezing is mentioned in the destructions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Red cheese as an alternative to mozerella,is just as nice for a pizza:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

nice post op... thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

hi. quick question regarding freezing dough. when i defrost it the dough is really wet. i add flour to try and dry it out ....loads .... and find rolling it is virtually impossible. any suggestions??

livvy wrote: »
    hi. quick question regarding freezing dough. when i defrost it the dough is really wet. i add flour to try and dry it out ....loads .... and find rolling it is virtually impossible. any suggestions??

Don't freeze the dough!

Make up your pizza base and bake it in the oven for 5 minutes, then freeze.

When using it, take it out of the freezer. Immediately put on all the toppings and bake it in the oven for the normal full time (as if it were fresh dough)

Works very well!!!

You can easily freeze the tomato sauce as well

Made 8 pizzas again this evening, 4 bases + 4 portions of tomato sauce are now in the freezer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

Thanks guys!! Just made some lovely home-made pizzas for the very first time, great recipe - easy to follow and very yummy, especially the tomato sauce!

Will be trying these again for sure, pizza + wine = lovely way to spend an evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks guys!! Just made some lovely home-made pizzas for the very first time, great recipe - easy to follow and very yummy, especially the tomato sauce!

Will be trying these again for sure, pizza + wine = lovely way to spend an evening!!!

Any ballpark figure how long I should leave the dough for? Just made it and I have friends arriving in 2 hours. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Tom bout 45mins i usually leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

we left ours in the window in the warm sunshine for about an hour, although 45 minutes probably would have been enough!

enjoy :)

Left it for about 2 hours, didn't rise one bit. :)

Irrelevant, really, as I made two pizzas out of it - one for the veggies and one for the meat lovers (me). Absolutely gorgeous - Denny sausages left over from the breakfast, red onion and green pepper. Delicious.

Will certainly be making this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I was looking at this thread in Cooking & Recipes today
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056619788

and tried this pizza recipe today.

I was very impressed with both the base and the sauce. I had never attempted anything with yeast before and was pleasantly surprised to see the dough rising.

The sauce was really tasty, would def use these for pasta or on meatballs in the future.

When making the pizzas I cooked one on a oven tray and the second one on the pizza stone (this came with the oven when we bought it, 7 years ago and has only been used once with a frozen pizza!!)

Not having used a pizza stone before I just put it in the oven and and turned the oven up to the highest setting, then turned the oven down to 180 just before I put the pizza in.

The pizza on the pizza stone was much nicer than the one on the oven tray so I will def be doing this again.

There was a lot of sauce left and enough dough to make at least another 2 bases, so these are gone into the freezer for another day.

Thanks op for the recipe.

(had the pizza ate when I thought of the photo, so I'll take one the next time)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I've always want to try making my own pizza.. must try this soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

If you pre-cook the base for 3 mins on the pizza stone before adding the sauce/topping, it will help you get a crispy base - tried and tested :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Good recipe, just my 2 cents on it:
    - The amount of dough was way too much for a single tray. With 500g of flour, plus the other ingredients, I normally make three of those pizzas. They are very thin once spread, but get thicker while cooking.
    - An alternative to the tomato sauce is simply blending a tin of canned tomatoes with a pinch of salt, and nothing else. It can be watery, but you won't need more than one or two tablespoons of it for each pizza.
    - To Des: I know many people who claim they couldn't get the dough to rise. The key is to mix the yeast with some lukewarm water and sugar, and let it rest for a while. It will produce a stiff foam, which means it's "alive and kicking". Use this yeast water to mix all ingredients except the salt. Salt is killing the yeast, and, if it does, the dough won't raise. Add the salt at the very end, when you already have a ball. It will work wonders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Myself and my boyfriend have made this pizza dough too many times to count :D Always goes down a treat, thanks so much for the recipe.

Must try your tomato sauce soon :D

daigo75 wrote: »
    - To Des: I know many people who claim they couldn't get the dough to rise. The key is to mix the yeast with some lukewarm water and sugar, and let it rest for a while. It will produce a stiff foam, which means it's "alive and kicking". Use this yeast water to mix all ingredients except the salt. Salt is killing the yeast, and, if it does, the dough won't raise. Add the salt at the very end, when you already have a ball. It will work wonders!

I finally got the dough to rise. I think the first few times the water wasn't hot enough (when adding to the yeast). I was using cold water, with a litte bit of hot water added. This time, I boiled the kettle and added a little bit of cold water to it - that did the job.

Yet again, absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made this at the weekend - I never buy pizzas unless in a restaurant so this was a nice change! The dough didn't really rise although I used the recommended order of ingredient adding :P I used it anyway and it tasted fine. I'd like to try with 00 flour though. I have plenty of sauce left over (in the freezer now) so will have to try that some time. It was also a teeny bit soggy in the middle so I'm going to pre-bake the base a little next time. I actually meant to do that and forgot. Also forgot to take a picture before I wolfed the first slice :pac:

003.jpg?t=1337616418

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Malari wrote: »
    I made this at the weekend - I never buy pizzas unless in a restaurant so this was a nice change! The dough didn't really rise although I used the recommended order of ingredient adding :P I used it anyway and it tasted fine. I'd like to try with 00 flour though. I have plenty of sauce left over (in the freezer now) so will have to try that some time. It was also a teeny bit soggy in the middle so I'm going to pre-bake the base a little next time. I actually meant to do that and forgot. Also forgot to take a picture before I wolfed the first slice :pac:

I would highly recommend 00 flour. I found it made a big difference, especially if you are trying to toss the pizza dough (as opposed to rolling it out).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I used 00 dough this time and it rose a bit more. I did try the tossing method, but I ended up making holes in the dough! Will have to find a You-Tube video and practice :pac: I'd like to get a thinner base, although it was still tasty and I'm partial to the old deep-dish myself ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Great recipe! Made the dough today using Tipo 00 flour. It rose like a star! Got 4 balls of dough out of it, that will each make one large, very thin base pizza. My first one tonight was prawns, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and rocket.

0S1D7l.jpg

Just a quick update on this.

I use the pizza dough recipe in the first post as a recipe for bread (minus the sugar and mustard). While making it recently, I noticed the recipe for bread on the Odlums packet was identical, apart from the margarine (replace margarine with olive oil). So, for reasons that will not be divulged here, I put the pizza dough into a loaf tin, and it made some excellent bread.

As a variation, another time, I added a big pinch of oregano - very tasty herb type bread. And only last night, I tried a large tablespoon of tomato paste, along with a pinch of herbs for a type of tomato bread. It was gone within 10 minutes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just a quick update on this.

I use the pizza dough recipe in the first post as a recipe for bread (minus the sugar and mustard). While making it recently, I noticed the recipe for bread on the Odlums packet was identical, apart from the margarine (replace margarine with olive oil). So, for reasons that will not be divulged here, I put the pizza dough into a loaf tin, and it made some excellent bread.

As a variation, another time, I added a big pinch of oregano - very tasty herb type bread. And only last night, I tried a large tablespoon of tomato paste, along with a pinch of herbs for a type of tomato bread. It was gone within 10 minutes. :D

On this do you still leave the dough to prove and then knock it back or what way works best. thanks

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    On this do you still leave the dough to prove and then knock it back or what way works best. thanks

Yes, I do.

Put it straight into the loaf tin and cover it with some cling film. I left it for 2-3 hours to rise (think I might have put too much water with the yeast). Once it has risen to just at the level of the loaf tin, put it in the over - it will rise even more.

Advertisement