Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Interview tomorrow!

Options
  • 27-08-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post up here as im lying on my bed raking my brain over an interview scheduled for tomorrow.

Its my 1st graduate interview for a job (related to my area/field) since i completed my masters (a few weeks ago) and im kinda nervous about it. Generally, i do well in interviews but I've never gone through anything like this....

For anyone that has, what would be you're advice? Anything would help!
    Much appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Have a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Ritalin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Choose ten random posts, work them into your answers tomorrow. I'd recommend any post from the lion thread, and the something bit my toe thread.

And never ever take advice on AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Prick! wrote: »
    Have a ****

OP, this is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Have a ****

yeah the tactical ****. invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In bed at 9 O'Clock?

I call shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Learn as much about the company as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Learn as much about the company as you can.

Such as do they tolerate ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Preparing for an interview with help from After Hours does not reflect well. I'm afraid the position has been filled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Take some notes from Trainspotting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Drink from now until your interview op. Best advice I can give you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Riddler87

Im new to boards and CLEARLY have posted in the wrong forum.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Learn as much about the company as you can. Prepare for possible questions that they might ask to throw you off. Get a good sleep and make an effort with your appearance. Finally go in with confidence, you've got the interview because they are impressed with your C.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

During interviews the mind of the interviewer is generally made up in the first few seconds of speaking to you. How you look and how you present yourself is paramount (although they'd never admit this).

Being nervous on the day is grand. They're used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Please note: the **** is PRE-interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

A hooker will relieve all your stress and worry, till a few months later anyway until a wart is on your scrotum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

You got an interview, fair play OP whatever comes of it, theres fcuk all out there now it seems anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Riddler87 wrote: »

We got a live one!!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would post up here as im lying on my bed raking my brain over an interview scheduled for tomorrow.

Its my 1st graduate interview for a job (related to my area/field) since i completed my masters (a few weeks ago) and im kinda nervous about it. Generally, i do well in interviews but I've never gone through anything like this....

For anyone that has, what would be you're advice? Anything would help!
    Much appreciated
    Cheers

Firstly, on the day don't try bluffing any answers to questions.
    Sometimes its obvious you don't know but is willing to chance your arm - and oft times this don't look good.
    If you don't know an answer to a question, be honest and say so. It means that any bluffing won't come back to haunt you.

Remember that the interviewers (if they have any kop) will know all being interviewed, will be nervous.

Keep your hands front and if positioned, resting on your knees if you think you might be nervous and thus figidity.
    (Or interlock your fingers, resting front)

Don't sit back into the chair too much. It may look like your saying to them by body outlook that "this interview is no matter, I can breeze it".
    Sit upright, with your back against it and try to look as interested at possible.

Read up on the business/place tonight and know what they do exactly, where you might like to fit in exactly and how you feel your strengths might be useful to those areas.

Clean footwear! Sometime the smaller details are a give-away!
    You upon initial entrance will be no different than those before you or after, so initial do impressions count. Start good and build upon it!

Firm handshake without leaving broken bones!

Thank them for the opportunity of try-out with them.

Smile! (without being too cheesy)

I wish you luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

im lying on my bed raking my brain...

Is it a gardening job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Two ****. You won't be able to put a foot wrong.

You sure have! If you want serious answers check in there. If you don't, stick around here!

Drop me a pm if you want this locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I have an interview tomorrow too! I am so nervous....actually I've been called back so this is my second interview for the same firm. I want to be confident but not cocky. I find it hard because in real life I'm just shy. Good luck in yours OP, I'm sure you know your stuff already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Shouldnt you be asking the questions Mr.Riddler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Rant about foreigners taking all the jobs they will be impressed and dont forget the danger **** in the lobby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I forgot to add, try and make them smile too.

I once told in an interview how I daftly managed to knock myself out in a cinema.
    (The question was if I remember right "Do you have any regrets in life").
    My honest answer made them laugh and it showed that I had a sense of humour about the incident - and about life in general I hoped.
    I made them smile and they remembered me more so afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Have a ****

Biased!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Begin as few answers as possible with ":D Riddle me this, Caped Crusader!"

And don't say "My biggest weakness is leaving clues for Batman and the police to follow when I've committed a crime. I'd always get away if I didn't do that."
    Everyone says that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

..................my masters ........................

In baking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I always think the most important thing is to act completely uninterested and distracted during the whole interview. This will make them see that you don't take yourself too seriously and you'll probably be up for a session if the opportunity arises.

Bring a hip flask of whiskey, and if you smoke, spark one up and offer the interviewer the end of it.

If it's a woman don't forget a cheeky wink and a pat on the bottom at the end of the interview, it'll show that you're comfortable in your surroundings and not shy. If she smiles after this then cup a boob.

Advertisement