Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

mikemac1 wrote: »
    They're get 6 every week, not 4

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

My blind. Still a profit on own brand milk though.
    Andremac96 wrote: »
    its 6 and in the shop 2l avonmore is about 2 euro so thats 12
    we pay 13.75 but id rather pay that 1.75 extra get it delivered to my door and have nice milk cause the lidl/aldi own brand is muck in comparison

You keep forgetting to put IMO every time you call their milk muck!

Have you started a milk round and trying to drum up business. We used to get milk delivered. Pain in the butt a lot of the time. If it arrives after you've gone to work it either gets robbed or goes sour if it is warm enough out. Also lovely build up of sour milk on the doorstep if you forget to cancel your order when going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Drugs:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Have you started a milk round and trying to drum up business. We used to get milk delivered. Pain in the butt a lot of the time. If it arrives after you've gone to work it either gets robbed or goes sour if it is warm enough out. Also lovely build up of sour milk on the doorstep if you forget to cancel your order when going away.

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out if this is an ad for milkmen, or an ad for Avonmore.

Avonmore milk is too watery, and too expensive. IMO ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

later12 wrote: »
    I live about three miles from the nearest secondary road so never had a milkman, but we did used to have cows. There is nothing lovlier than someone coming to the kitchen with a jug and pouring delicious, fatty milk on your cornflakes, so fresh that 15 minutes earlier it was sloshing about in a cow's udder.

Totally worth getting tuberculosis for.

id love a cow

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Years ago a "vegetable man" used to call, he also sold cans of coke and 7up.

there is one of them outside my local londis

We have a man that comes around selling lemonade :o

Then there's another guy in a van that sells toiletries, deodorant, and other stuff:cool:

I never purchase anything from him though. :cool:

depending on the price the tolitries would be decent

When I was growing up we use to get up really early and walk around our estate and take the milk from peoples doorsteps. Wasn't a nice thing to do but we were young and stupid. I don't drink milk so wouldn't have a need for one but even though they charge a bit more it probably saves money as you are not going to the shop and buying other things you don't need

thats bad all the milk being nicked

later12 wrote: »
    Kimberly Micados I think.

Love a plate of those on a night out. Better than that ecstasy shite.

mmmmmmm micados

Fine there milk is muck IMO

• Advertisement

Drugs:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nice bita hash# hahha:)

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out if this is an ad for milkmen, or an ad for Avonmore.

Avonmore milk is too watery, and too expensive. IMO ;)

Its A bit price but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

Sorry Jackeens, but Dublin milk is cack. Including that avonmore stuff.
    You have to head out whest for good milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kingking85

My dad was a milk man for the last 15 years - he charged the same price for a litre of milk to a house as the local shop charged out. There was no delivery charge - I often argued with him over this as I felt he was selling his services short.

The average margin he made at a shop of 12c-15c per litre max so at a house he made 20c per litre.
    If you take into account the that when we went to a shop we could drop off 100-150 litres (depending on the shop) - this would be the equivalent to 40 houses as the average house took 3 litres, 3 days per week. Theres a lot more work in delivering to 40 houses compared to filling 1-2 trolleys outside a shop!
    Diesel costs were massive in this job, coupled with the running costs of a truck thats going for 10 hours a day, 6 days per week - repairs, tyres etc.

We never missed a delivery - we were out in all weather, most people were grateful for his services, other people would hide on a Friday evening when you called to collect money. If anyone died in an area, we would do up a quick hamper in the van - ususally milk, yogurts, cream, orange juice - just something as a gesture

We gave up the houses around 8 years ago due to the work involved in them and when we weighed up the costs and return, it wasnt making sense as we were covering a large rural area. (If you were covering 100-200 houses within a small area in Dublin, it would make sense). When we did houses we had 2 people on the van - when we cut out the house, we just needed one as we could have everything on trolleys and drop it outside the shop etc.

My father sold his business 2 years ago due to declining margins as a lot of milk customers were going to Aldi/Lidl and buying the cheaper, inferior, Northern Irish milk. Also Strathroy Dairies, Linwoods and Dairyland Cuisine got stronger buy buying milk at a cheaper price in the North and undercutting us. Our customer base that we had for years decided to take milk from these dairies and therefore cut our volumes sometimes by 75%. Also the cost of running the business increased - diesel costs were massive and seemed to keep rising while margins dropped - same case in most other Irish businesses.

A lot of government departments who put their milk supply out to tender decided to go with Northern Irish sourced milk - Dairyland Cuisine was an Irish based company however purchased all their milk via Donegal Creamaries who sourced their milk in Britain.
    This just adds to the usual mentality of our Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    We used to have a milkman. He was really sound. If he heard somebody had died in the area he would call to the house with about a dozen free cartons of milk, whether they were his customers or not. Because he knew there would be lots of callers to sympathise with the family.

Its little thoughtful gestures like that, that I really like about Ireland.

Nice gesture.... but it'd all go off in a week? How many people are going to use a dozen cartons of milk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

my brother is a milkman.

80% of his customers are oul ones in the backarse of nowhere in donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

kingking85 wrote: »
    My father sold his business 2 years ago due to declining margins as a lot of milk customers were going to Aldi/Lidl and buying the cheaper, inferior, Northern Irish milk.

Protestant cows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My dad was a milk man for the last 15 years - he charged the same price for a litre of milk to a house as the local shop charged out. There was no delivery charge - I often argued with him over this as I felt he was selling his services short.

The average margin he made at a shop of 12c-15c per litre max so at a house he made 20c per litre.
    If you take into account the that when we went to a shop we could drop off 100-150 litres (depending on the shop) - this would be the equivalent to 40 houses as the average house took 3 litres, 3 days per week. Theres a lot more work in delivering to 40 houses compared to filling 1-2 trolleys outside a shop!
    Diesel costs were massive in this job, coupled with the running costs of a truck thats going for 10 hours a day, 6 days per week - repairs, tyres etc.

We never missed a delivery - we were out in all weather, most people were grateful for his services, other people would hide on a Friday evening when you called to collect money. If anyone died in an area, we would do up a quick hamper in the van - ususally milk, yogurts, cream, orange juice - just something as a gesture

We gave up the houses around 8 years ago due to the work involved in them and when we weighed up the costs and return, it wasnt making sense as we were covering a large rural area. (If you were covering 100-200 houses within a small area in Dublin, it would make sense). When we did houses we had 2 people on the van - when we cut out the house, we just needed one as we could have everything on trolleys and drop it outside the shop etc.

My father sold his business 2 years ago due to declining margins as a lot of milk customers were going to Aldi/Lidl and buying the cheaper, inferior, Northern Irish milk. Also Strathroy Dairies, Linwoods and Dairyland Cuisine got stronger buy buying milk at a cheaper price in the North and undercutting us. Our customer base that we had for years decided to take milk from these dairies and therefore cut our volumes sometimes by 75%. Also the cost of running the business increased - diesel costs were massive and seemed to keep rising while margins dropped - same case in most other Irish businesses.

A lot of government departments who put their milk supply out to tender decided to go with Northern Irish sourced milk - Dairyland Cuisine was an Irish based company however purchased all their milk via Donegal Creamaries who sourced their milk in Britain.
    Donegal isn't in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Protestant cows?

What the **** is a protestant cow? You stupid little ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Leonid wrote: »
    Sorry Jackeens, but Dublin milk is cack. Including that avonmore stuff.
    You have to head out west for good milk.

Is there any Dublin cows left :confused: As I thought most of the white stuff made in Dublin now is cocaine :confused:

beanie10 wrote: »

A protestant cow is one that doesn't go moo its goes no surrender :p;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

This is a large bovine, heard animal that does not believe in either transubstantiation or the immaculate conception, and is used is the agricultural sector for milk production and associated dairy production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It marches on the 12th July?

It was a joke you gobsheen. I was just wondering how milk from the north was inferior to milk from the south.

I got nuffin but love for my Protestant bros and sisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It was a joke you gobsheen. I was just wondering how milk from the north was inferior to milk from the south.

It's the grass the cows eat that's Protestant. Good catholic grass is far superior, tasting as it does of summery days, holy water and priest's jockstraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

One with a sense of humour and does not feel the need to use foul language perhaps?

Where To wrote: »

Donegal isn't in Britain.

Donegal Creamaries source some of their milk in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England - Britain?

Inferior milk as its stored in large silos for weeks and sold at milk auctions. Local, Irish milk is fresh and usually is from the cow to the shop in 36-48 hours and not kept in silos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We have one, and we have a paper boy too. We used to get bread delivered but we stopped that fairly recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Ahh the milkman sadly gone, I believe my father was one.

• Advertisement

Inferior milk as its stored in large silos for weeks

How do they stop it from going sour?

Advertisement