Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair stifling of debate in the Political Theory forum

Options
  • 11-08-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

Some posters propound distinctly
    censored
    and
    censored
    ideals, and defend them trenchantly at times while -- unbelievably -- claiming to be above ideology or simply 'free-thinking'. Correctly identifying these arguments, opinions, and ideals, I am told, doesn't encourage rational debate.

How on earth can we discuss ideology openly and frankly if poster X makes ideologically influenced argument Y while claiming to be unencumbered by ideology so when the clear ideological roots are pointed out, he reports the post and has the discussion effectively fixed to support his contradictory and easily refuted position?

I've even been told that if I make libertarian arguments but dislike being 'labelled' libertarian then I should report the post! I think we need a dose of reality here.

Apparently if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, and argues for the general welfare of ducks but says it isn't a duck, the discussion is over and anyone pointing out the large duck-like arguments is sanctioned. I think the debate on the political theory forum is suffering for this.

SSR knows we have gotten nowhere trying to discuss this over PM but I would like to see the position clarified by other moderators. Admittedly, I called one poster an angry-Hegelian in this thread but I have since removed the offending sentence and accept my chastisement. If I have to trawl through the forum picking out every instance of a poster calling a libertarian an 'ideologue' or an 'extremist' I will; I'm just asking for some consistent moderation on this issue. Preferably towards telling people if you paraphrase the entire of Das Kapital, don't be surprised if people starting referring to and criticising Marx.

However, I have been distinctly told that saying 'your argument is essentially Marxist or Hegelian, and here's why' is a no-go -- on a thread about ideology no less!

Addtionally I have been accused twice on-thread of calling posters Marxists in this thread. I did not call anyone a Marxist -- I challenge you to show me exactly where I did. I correctly identified positions key to Marxist thinking but did not just 'label' someone. Could I also have a clarification on this issue please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Your problem - or the problem other posters are having with you - isn't complicated. By and large, the problem is one of self-identification. I don't object to someone pointing out that I'm a Green, or a social democrat, because I self-identify as both of those things.

But I could well find you telling me that such and such an idea of mine is 'Marxist' or 'Hegelian' annoying, even if the ideas in question have been expressed by those thinkers. I would also object if you told me my ideas were derived from Monbiot.

It's irrelevant to me whether those ideas have been expressed before and by whom unless I have picked them up from those thinkers and am aware of that fact - otherwise, it's just going to annoy me, because you are implicitly assigning to me a whole raft of other ideological ideas derived from those sources, as well as an admiration for those sources.

That's why the posters concerned claim to be free of ideology - because they are. Their espousal of an idea you identify as Hegelian isn't part of a Hegelian ideological stance, but simply an isolated idea that they approve of. You have no right to expect them to espouse other facets of that ideological opinion, and your belief that they're contradicting themselves by not doing so, or by espousing ideas from another ideological stance, says that the confusion is on your part. You're trying to label people neatly by ideological stance, and since the people concerned genuinely don't have an ideological stance but a grab-bag of ideas - often contradictory - it annoys them, and rightly so.

So there's no point, either, in refuting what the thinker you associate the idea with said about the idea, because the poster in question is not espousing their position but their own - spending your time attacking what Marx said about control of the means of production is of no relevance to someone who happens to think more worker co-ops are a nice idea but didn't derive the idea from Marx. I like the idea myself, but don't derive it from Marxist ideas about control of production - I like it because I believe people should be self-guiding and responsible, and it would annoy the hell out of me for someone to call my view 'Marxist' or to ascribe to me a Marxist ideological stance simply because at a very shallow level an idea I like happens to parallel one of Marx's ideological principles.

Further, there's no particular point pointing out how their espousal of idea A conflicts with their espousal of idea B. The whole point of ideologies is to provide a set of non-conflicting and ideally mutually reinforcing ideas based on a principle - but without an ideological stance to maintain, there is simply no requirement for people to have consistent or non-conflicting ideas.

The remedy is simple enough from a modding point of view - you should refrain from telling people they're Hegelians or Marxists based on the idea they espouse unless they self-identify as those things, because it's inaccurate and annoying.

Take people's ideas as presented by them, don't ascribe them to someone else unless they do, don't waste everyone's time attacking positions you ascribe to people on the basis of your attribution of their ideas.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

For the one millionth time, I didn't call or insinuate that anyone was a Marxist. Anywhere, or on any thread. SSR fabricated it out of thin air and I challenge anyone to show me where I have. I accept SSR telling me that calling another poster an 'angry Hegelian' was not conducive to rational discussion. I am not disputing that, she is 100% correct. But still the debate stifling moderation continues.

What you are essentially saying is that even if a poster is to correctly identify certain positions as distinctly Marxist in nature and wishes to discuss the fact, the poster should shut up and not mention any political theorists in the political theory sub-forum lest he upsets someone who doesn't like the association or feels they are being unfairly 'labelled'.

Could any moderators reconcile this with the forum charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I don't see what the Marxist label adds, other than an opportunity to generalize a persons views to cover a lot of things they don't agree with, thus creating ample strawmen to attack arguments/viewpoints by association.

It's not so bad (but not great either), if you take something like the minimum wage and associate it with the labour theory of value; that's something specific and contestable, which I have contested in the current thread on Political Theory, but more often stuff just gets attributed to Marxism, without any specific policy connection (thus it's not contestable, and you get the whole "sure of course that's Marxist, you can't seriously say it's not" line of argument, that reverses the burden of proof from having to show something is Marxist, to having to show something is not).

It's typically used to try and frame posters as being in defense of Marxism itself, and due to the flaws in Marxism, that gets seized upon as a point of strawman ridicule (through it's failed policies unrelated to the debate at hand); in that sense, it often deflects from the original point of debate, allowing it to be bashed on completely separate grounds, with the most tenuous of connections which are completely unrelated to the original debate.

Valmont wrote: »
    For the one millionth time, I didn't call or insinuate that anyone was a Marxist. Anywhere, or on any thread. SSR fabricated it out of thin air and I challenge anyone to show me where I have. I accept SSR telling me that calling another poster an 'angry Hegelian' was not conducive to rational discussion. I am not disputing that, she is 100% correct. But still the debate stifling moderation continues.

What you are essentially saying is that even if a poster is to correctly identify certain positions as distinctly Marxist in nature and wishes to discuss the fact, the poster should shut up and not mention any political theorists in the political theory sub-forum lest he upsets someone who doesn't like the association or feels they are being unfairly 'labelled'.

Could any moderators reconcile this with the forum charter?

Essentially, what KyussBishop said. The problem doesn't arise in whether you can identify the Marxist roots of an idea like the minimum wage, but when you wish non-Marxists to defend Marxism because they espouse the minimum wage - and dismiss their support for the minimum wage because of their failure to defend Marxism.

It's either straw manning or an enormous cognitive blind spot. Do you actually believe that:

1. posters who espouse ideas you see as Marxist are actually Marxists?

or

2. the Marxist roots of an idea are automatically relevant to someone's support of that idea?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The problem doesn't arise in whether you can identify the Marxist roots of an idea like the minimum wage
    Well then we have no problem because that's essentially all that has been happening in the political theory forum.

I haven't asked anyone to defend the entire edifice of Marxist thought and I really wish you would stop implying that I have.

I believe that the minimum wage is essentially based on the logic of the labour theory of value so if that can be refuted, so can arguments in favour of the minimum wage. I'm sure you disagree and I wouldn't bother posting on boards if people didn't -- so why can't we just debate the issue without SSR wagging her finger every time Marx is mentioned?
    Scofflaw wrote:
    2. the Marxist roots of an idea are automatically relevant to someone's support of that idea?
    Well one would think so, especially if the idea is being discussed in the political theory forum which specifies in the charter:
    In like manner, if you contribute to a Political Theory forum thread, please try to include in your post something that pertains to political theory, ideally with the names of political theorists for support. Certainly empirical evidence is useful to test and revise theory, as well as to inform policies and practices, and is useful for discussion purposes here, but theory should be the central focus in this Political Theory forum.
    I think 99% the moderation on boards is consistent and unobtrusive but you guys are all over the place on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Usually claims like that (associating the minimum wage with the labor theory of value and Marxism, and other claims just generally associating something with Marxism) are just asserted and, as I explained in my previous post, people challenged to refute that, rather than the burden of proof being on the person making the claim.

If it can be shown that a particular policy, and all motivations in favour of it, are inextricably based on (not just linked historically or some such) to Marxism, then it's fair enough there to apply that label; however, it's far preferable when specific criticisms (like the flawed labor theory of value) are given, not just the link to Marxism (which btw, such labeling I don't recall from you as much as other posters).

I get the impression that, with the minimum wage, the link to the labor theory of value is based on historical or motivationally dependent arguments (i.e. whether or not it links to the labor theory depends on why you support the minimum wage); all of a persons motivations for the minimum wage need to be linked to Marxism, or LTV, in order to make that association, otherwise they are being shoehorned into a position of support of LTV/Marxism when they do not support it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This seems to risk veering into a continuation of a political theory thread. Remember that this is the Helpdesk and that's it's the moderation of the political theory forum that is the issue.

Well then we have no problem because that's essentially all that has been happening in the political theory forum.

I haven't asked anyone to defend the entire edifice of Marxist thought and I really wish you would stop implying that I have.

I believe that the minimum wage is essentially based on the logic of the labour theory of value so if that can be refuted, so can arguments in favour of the minimum wage. I'm sure you disagree and I wouldn't bother posting on boards if people didn't -- so why can't we just debate the issue without SSR wagging her finger every time Marx is mentioned?

Well one would think so, especially if the idea is being discussed in the political theory forum which specifies in the charter:

I think 99% the moderation on boards is consistent and unobtrusive but you guys are all over the place on this one.

Shrug. Perhaps the mod team is entirely wrong, and the posters who complain about you doing it are also entirely wrong, or perhaps you're doing exactly what the mod team and the posters are saying you do. Given the consistency of the supposed behaviour reported/observed by those several separate and independent sources, the simplest explanation is that you're doing what people say you are, but just don't see it that way yourself.

I think you should entertain the second possibility, or at least pay it enough lip service to avoid annoying the people you're currently annoying in the way that you're currently annoying them. Because you're now on notice that you're annoying people, and what to try to avoid to avoid annoying them, so it will be hard for us to see a repetition of the annoying behaviour as anything other than a statement by you that moderation shouldn't apply to you.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Considering following the forum charter is what is annoying people, I'd suggest the problem belongs entirely to the moderators.

I'll post as I usually do and defend any sanctions that may arise from SSR or any other mods ignoring the charter.

I'd also warn that if being annoyed is now enough to have another poster sanctioned, regardless of the veracity of the argument or its adherence to the specified standards, the moderators are going to be very, very busy with the precedent this has set.

I now identify as a misesian-classical-liberal-anarcho-capitalist and any reference to libertarianism in my direction will be reported accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

There are a few issues here.

First, from a moderation perspective, pegging theories to people who have explicitly said that they do not consider those theories applicable to their beliefs is inflammatory: other posters are rightly annoyed by this practice. So it needs to stop.

Second, and more specifically, reducing any vaguely left-wing political beliefs to Marxism is not only annoying, it is intellectually lazy. I can think of at least three other reasons why someone would support the minimum wage beyond Das Kapital: someone's Christian beliefs may lead them to support a more equitable society (which in the modern era, is institutionalized through the welfare state), a utilitarian may see it as socially optimal, and a Rawlsian may see it as socially just (ironically, Rawls is a classical liberal!). There is a whole body of theory which does not use rationality as a starting point or as the sole basis of human action - you even acknowledge this in the thread on ideology! - and instead is based on emotion and social norms. Whether one chooses to accept this starting assumption is an individual decision, and one that is perfectly legitimate; it only becomes a problem when those who do not share the 'rational' approach to politics are all cast into the same Marxist bucket.

Finally, I do not see where telling you not to put theory in other peoples' mouths in any way contravenes the charter. The thread in question, 'Ideology vs. Free Thought', started off as a discussion of the extent to which people use political ideology as a guide, and how claims in the negative might be a form of ideology in and of itself. You brought up Popper, and Black Swan quoted Weber - which were totally appropriate references, as the central question of the thread was essentially about the sociology of knowledge and the cognitive process. So I fail to see how the discussion of theory was stifled in any way by my requesting, again, that you not make assumptions about other people.

Frankly I find this whole exchange extremely frustrating - I don't see how the Political Theory forum can be a place for a more rational discussion of politics and ideas when an entire universe of ideas are all reduced to Marx, and then summarily dismissed. This both stifles discussion and inflames other posters. You can certainly bring up what Marx or Hegel or Rawls or whoever else had to say about a certain phenomena, but it is not up to you or any other poster to tell other posters what they are thinking - this is something that they can tease out for themselves, especially if people are willing to actually have a discussion about theory beyond the Libertarian-Marx axis. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but given that the whole ideology thread was pulled out of a longer thread on reading recommendations, I think that there are plenty of people in this forum who are open to being directed to different theorists - but that is a long cry from simply being told that the way they think about the distribution of wealth is society is reducible to Marxism. While the former can lead to further discussion, and perhaps even be an opportunity for learning, the latter is both wrong-headed from a theoretical perspective, and a headache from a moderation perspective.

• Advertisement

Considering following the forum charter is what is annoying people, I'd suggest the problem belongs entirely to the moderators.

I'll post as I usually do and defend any sanctions that may arise from SSR or any other mods ignoring the charter.

I'd also warn that if being annoyed is now enough to have another poster sanctioned, regardless of the veracity of the argument or its adherence to the specified standards, the moderators are going to be very, very busy with the precedent this has set.

I now identify as a misesian-classical-liberal-anarcho-capitalist and any reference to libertarianism in my direction will be reported accordingly.

If by doing so people require you to defend beliefs you don't espouse, and dismiss your arguments on the basis of beliefs you don't espouse, work away.

If that's not what's happening, I can only see yourself getting yourself into hot water by doing it, given your quite clearly stated "I don't agree with this but I'm going to do it to prove a point" motives.

regards,
    Scofflaw

SSR wrote:
    First, from a moderation perspective, pegging theories to people who have explicitly said that they do not consider those theories applicable to their beliefs is inflammatory: other posters are rightly annoyed by this practice. So it needs to stop.
    This is so unbelievably absurd I don't know why you keep posting it.

If I post my usual libertarian-oriented arguments, then deny that they are libertarian and report people for saying as much towards the end of stifling criticism on grounds I simply don't like or can't handle, you will sanction them. It doesn't make sense and it is in direct contradiction not only with reality but to the charter of the forum you are continually disrupting.

Scofflaw, I don't actually intend on reporting people according to SSR's Kafka-esque moderation strategy -- that wouldn't be conducive to rational debate.

I think I can consider this issue resolved. Thank you for the clarification.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement