Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of lack of pokemon activities in ireland

Options
  • 01-08-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Sick of lack of pokemon activities in Ireland, or battle roads tournaments, or leagues, and the high price on cards. a fiver a pack? come on. And, considering I'm in louth, The nearest pokemon league is in dublin, And my family wont take me >:(
    Is anybody else sick of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Do bear in mind that the target market in Ireland is nowhere near the size of the UK or the mainland continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Cards : 6.50 for a blister pack of 3 B&W boosters in Tesco at the mo, albeit slightly old series (Noble Victories for example). Some of them have an additional 3-card "sampler" too. Bonus!

League : Set one up! That's what the Boards group did. And now it appears to be official. Not saying that will happen to you but you know... there can be miracles... if you beleeeeeive.

Official Ninty events : We are a backwater of europe. From the UK we look like a loose conglomerate of low-density population centers on the other side of a large body of water. It's not worth the effort of bringing a roadshow here because more people live in Birmingham than live on our entire island. (That's not actually true, but hell it's not that far off being true). Your choices are get used to it or move, unfortunately. Besides, even if they did come they'd at best hit Limerick or Galway, Cork and Dublin. They are unlikely to start the tour in Dundalk.

The problem you have is you were born too late. If you'd been born a little over 10 years ago, you'd have hit the Pokemon craze when in it's full swing. You still wouldn't have any events locally but at least you'd have more people around you who felt like you did. A little over 2000 years ago you'd have found Louth to be at the center of ireland's attention; you might even have taken part in the defense of the Donn Cúailnge against the armies of queen Medb, in some ways the prototype of the Pokemon saga with her gotta-steal-em-all attitude. Alas, Louth peaked too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cakemonkey

Banjo wrote: »
    Cards : 6.50 for a blister pack of 3 B&W boosters in Tesco at the mo, albeit slightly old series (Noble Victories for example). Some of them have an additional 3-card "sampler" too. Bonus!

League : Set one up! That's what the Boards group did. And now it appears to be official. Not saying that will happen to you but you know... there can be miracles... if you beleeeeeive.

Official Ninty events : We are a backwater of europe. From the UK we look like a loose conglomerate of low-density population centers on the other side of a large body of water. It's not worth the effort of bringing a roadshow here because more people live in Birmingham than live on our entire island. (That's not actually true, but hell it's not that far off being true). Your choices are get used to it or move, unfortunately. Besides, even if they did come they'd at best hit Limerick or Galway, Cork and Dublin. They are unlikely to start the tour in Dundalk.

The problem you have is you were born too late. If you'd been born a little over 10 years ago, you'd have hit the Pokemon craze when in it's full swing. You still wouldn't have any events locally but at least you'd have more people around you who felt like you did. A little over 2000 years ago you'd have found Louth to be at the center of ireland's attention; you might even have taken part in the defense of the Donn Cúailnge against the armies of queen Medb, in some ways the prototype of the Pokemon saga with her gotta-steal-em-all attitude. Alas, Louth peaked too soon...

They wont let me set one up, because: I'm too young, and, I'll have to pay to have it in drogheda. which is a shame, I could get about seven people together.
    And yeah, we are the backwater of europe. But what I want Is maybe one battleroads tournament. Just one! and one pre-release. I don't have anybody I know old enough to set up a league for me. and yes, I was born too late. and where do yo live to get cards so cheap? here its 15.76. for one. I think theyre charging for individual packs, plus the promo.
    thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hey, the league in Dublin is rad, you should try and make it up :cool:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hey, the league in Dublin is rad, you should try and make it up :cool:
    Already was there, but, I really cant go up to dublin without a reason, like last time I went up, my granny was going to the hospital :/
    i was the guy with the kyurem ex deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Few Kyurem ex decks around, but yes im sick of it too, hence I started a league! Gonna see if I can become a TO soon too, I want battle roads, not like its gonna take too much to run, there only small tournies anyway! But its a start you know? I was recently inquiring as to how many people attended UK Nats, to see if I could get enough interest in Ireland to convince even city championships (or more) over. When you see the tournament structure that's in place for earning championship points there's quite a few different events and surely there'd be enough interest to get some started

popzmaster wrote: »
    Few Kyurem ex decks around, but yes im sick of it too, hence I started a league! Gonna see if I can become a TO soon too, I want battle roads, not like its gonna take too much to run, there only small tournies anyway! But its a start you know? I was recently inquiring as to how many people attended UK Nats, to see if I could get enough interest in Ireland to convince even city championships (or more) over. When you see the tournament structure that's in place for earning championship points there's quite a few different events and surely there'd be enough interest to get some started
    Yeah, battle roads would be great, and regionals would be amazing, although, we would probably be lumped together, as a country, or like ulster and leinster.
    province/state championships would be great as well. You really deserve to be a TO. as I've said, we need large things like this. However, We need a large venue! gamers world doesn't seem big enough, and stuff like this would really need to be held on weekends, due to people working, and kids in school. advertising would be boards.ie, facebook, and maybe we would be lucky enough to have smyths let us stick up some posters :/
    I made a reddit post as well, so, Ill let you know if anybody is setting up a new league anywhere atall.

I'm aiming for the stars :cool: like, those little kids on tuesday, maybe not the best players, but they can learn, bring the numbers up, bring their mates, get more people in generally.

you need more exposure! Can someone convince Kim Cattrall to stop flicking herself over Mario and get on board the Pokétrain? She was in Mannequin, it can't be that hard to convince her to do anything. Maybe if we could email her some Gurdurr and Machoke glamour shots?

Organising : If you have anything more than 1 other person interested locally, you should see if you can arrange something with a local youth club - a space and time to fill. Make a Jumbotron DS or get a Wii and Battle REvolution and put some DS battles up on a big screen. Paint 2 angry mice like Pikachu, wire them to car batteries and make them fight. It doesn't have to be glamorous but put a bit of lateral thought in and it could take off

Venue : you don't move to a bigger venue till you can fill the one you;ve got regularly. Especially given that as the spaces get bigger you'll start getting charged, meaning you'll have to pass that charge on to the players somehow. I personally don't go to the meetups but I'm fairly sure I've looked in the shop window before, the numbers being quoted (5 and 12 for the last 2 seasons) surely can't be filling that space to fire-safety-violation levels yet?

Banjo wrote: »
    you need more exposure! Can someone convince Kim Cattrall to stop flicking herself over Mario and get on board the Pokétrain? She was in Mannequin, it can't be that hard to convince her to do anything. Maybe if we could email her some Gurdurr and Machoke glamour shots?

Organising : If you have anything more than 1 other person interested locally, you should see if you can arrange something with a local youth club - a space and time to fill. Make a Jumbotron DS or get a Wii and Battle REvolution and put some DS battles up on a big screen. Paint 2 angry mice like Pikachu, wire them to car batteries and make them fight. It doesn't have to be glamorous but put a bit of lateral thought in and it could take off

Venue : you don't move to a bigger venue till you can fill the one you;ve got regularly. Especially given that as the spaces get bigger you'll start getting charged, meaning you'll have to pass that charge on to the players somehow. I personally don't go to the meetups but I'm fairly sure I've looked in the shop window before, the numbers being quoted (5 and 12 for the last 2 seasons) surely can't be filling that space to fire-safety-violation levels yet?

I was actually talking to person on reddit about this, she may be opening up a card shop around here (drogheda, dundalk, dublin) and I asked her If she was, make It a big place, for tournaments, battle road, etc.
    fingers crossed!
    I dont think the ISPCA will agree with the pikachu idea, theyll go all 'N' on me :/

• Advertisement

I'm aiming for the stars :cool: like, those little kids on tuesday, maybe not the best players, but they can learn, bring the numbers up, bring their mates, get more people in generally.
    Friends tell friends, who tell cousins who tell friends...
    it goes on and on and on!
    but, we could say goodbye to them when school starts up again! if the league was moved to Saturday, more people available=more popularity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Are those blisters in teshco emerging powers only? Or mixed Black and White?

Mixed. None in my local Tesco though >.< have to wait till league on Tuesday.

Groovy, there's a box of them in my tesco. Still a stupid price for tins though.

Groovy, there's a box of them in my tesco. Still a stupid price for tins though.
    yeah, tins cost 18 euro in my tesco. gamestop is cheapest for packs, though, at 4.49. worth it though, groudon ex and bench healing blissey? hell yeah.

4.49 is brutal :eek:

Toy shop in dublin sells packs for 4 euro :cool:

Well Tesco atm is working out at €2.17~ But if it's just Emerging powers it sucks cause it's not a great set for the game.

Toy shop in dublin sells packs for 4 euro :cool:
    whens double points day for the league?
    (random question, i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

Well Tesco atm is working out at €2.17~ But if it's just Emerging powers it sucks cause it's not a great set for the game.
    well the 3 packs i picked up today were noble victories and one came with a shiny axew and the other a shiny litwick, also get a 3 card promo pack :)

• Advertisement

cakemonkey wrote: »
    whens double points day for the league?
    (random question, i know)

Normally the last day of it.

well the 3 packs i picked up today were noble victories and one came with a shiny axew and the other a shiny litwick, also get a 3 card promo pack :)

That confirms it's mixed B/W and i'm glad to hear it :p

how much did they cost? were they blister packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

cakemonkey wrote: »
    how much did they cost? were they blister packs?
    yeah it was the blister 3 pack from tesco for 6.50

lol did somebody say on Dublin pokeclub that they bought the entire display box in Tesco?!?

Oh yeah they did :P

It's not uniform across all tescos by the way, was in Maynooth yesterday and they have the same mixed box at 10.50 (which is flagged as a reduction from 14.50 where Celbridge flags them as reduced from 13.00...) a pop. So Caveat Pokémastus!

Interesting watch for people involved in the official league in Dublin.

anybody know the cheapest place to buy a dragons exalted booster box?

• Advertisement

Advertisement