Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Salthill Raft?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

I went for a wee dip in Salthill today for the first time this year and was shocked to see there is no Raft at Blackrock. Is this City Council cutbacks or Health & Safety goner nuts?

What's the story, people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I went for a wee dip in Salthill today for the first time this year and was shocked to see there is no Raft at Blackrock. Is this City Council cutbacks or Health & Safety goner nuts?

What's the story, people?

It causes more trouble than good and council is open to being sued because it is clearly unsafe. Its not gone nuts its a serious health hazard, and believe me I am one to take risks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

3 questions for you T2dak.

What trouble did it cause?

How is it clearly unsafe?

What's the health hazard?

Rafts been out every Summer for as long as I can remember and I never heard of any accident with it.

Anyone know how many Summers it's been out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

It has been out for the last 12+ years, I remember it being out every summer I would go there

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

OP - You were a day too early just put the raft out this morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

3fullback wrote: »
    OP - You were a day too early just put the raft out this morning! :)

I saw it as I cycled passed in the lashing rain this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

:D Hooray, the rafts out, another WIN for the common people.

Coucil can go stuff their health and safety! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

FlashD wrote: »
    3 questions for you T2dak.

What trouble did it cause?

How is it clearly unsafe?

What's the health hazard?

Rafts been out every Summer for as long as I can remember and I never heard of any accident with it.

Anyone know how many Summers it's been out?

easy to slip on and break something

BTW is Silver Strand not good enough for a raft?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    easy to slip on and break something

What unlike, rocks, or er, millions of other wet things we manage to come into contact regularly without mishap?

bildo wrote: »
    What unlike, rocks, or er, millions of other wet things we manage to come into contact regularly without mishap?

I have been swimming all my life at Blackrock and the council does try to eliminate slippy green plants from the concrete for fear of slipping.
    I myself slipped and broke my teeth on the raft a number of years ago and no I did not look for compo. at the time there was more wood than rubber on the surface and was easy to slip if you stood up and walked around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I was on the raft last w'end and thought it was unsafe. Its made of plastic modular sections which have gaps between them which open/close with the movement of the water. Its quite easy to get fingers/toes caught in these gaps which then close and a painful squeeze results. The old wooden one was much better as it was solid. The sides of this raft have raw plastic edges which make getting up on very difficult, not everyone uses the ladder. Try it out and you'll see what I mean, you won't see this from the shore.

Unfortunately, it would be unrealistic to point this out to the dictators at city council because they would just remove it "on safety" grounds instead of actually improving it (at modest cost). So the average citizen must put up with the dangers and be glad of the facility, like just one shower on the slip.
    Its maddening when you think about it...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

buzz11 wrote: »
    So the average citizen must put up with the dangers and be glad of the facility, like just one shower on the slip.

Yeah we should be glad of the facility, it's completely free for us to use. If you consider it dangerous, avoid. If not, enjoy.

sign21.jpg?w=320&h=270

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you think the raft is unsafe, don't use it. Don't ruin the fun for the rest of us

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If you think the raft is unsafe, don't use it. Don't ruin the fun for the rest of us

we live in a compensation culture so the council has to watch their ass. I notice its of plastic these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

we live in a compensation culture so the council has to watch their ass. I notice its of plastic these days.

you broke your teeth :D

DRakE wrote: »
    you broke your teeth :D

I did and it was far from funny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I did and it was far from funny at the time.

Well I would have laughed then and I'm laughing now :cool:

Well I would have laughed then and I'm laughing now :cool:

whatever. sure maybe you will drown one of these days and I will be able to watch it from the shore. Its mighty craic altogether to see someone else have a an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

like just one shower on the slip.
    I can honestly say in all my years swimming at blackrock i have never once had to que for that shower. One is quite enough.

McTigs wrote: »
    I can honestly say in all my years swimming at blackrock i have never once had to que for that shower. One is quite enough.

hear hear. very few even use that one. I see they have built a new ladder at the spliway so you do not have to walk over the rocks.

McTigs wrote: »

hear hear. very few even use that one. I see they have built a new ladder at the slipway so you do not have to walk over the rocks.

• Advertisement

I see the raft has been removed already, it seems to have been taken out for the Bay swim but still hasn't been put back.
    So it went out on 15th July and removed around 26th Aug (approx) About 6 weeks.

I guess it was getting in the way of the school book run...

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

It broke its mooring the day before the bay swim, got washed up on the rocks and was damaged so they took it away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

That raft, or an earlier timber version, has been there since at least 1956.

It's a good idea. Hope it won't be discontinued on health and safety grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

BUMP (from last year)

Where is the raft this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It wasn't put out until mid July last year so could be a while yet.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    BUMP (from last year)

Where is the raft this year?

maybe they are waiting for summer for start i.e fine weather.

Still no raft but lifeguards have started now....so anyone who plans to need rescue should do it now.;)

Still no raft but lifeguards have started now....so anyone who plans to need rescue should do it now.;)

maybe they are waiting for the summer to start?

Raft is out....enjoy little people, local government has delivered at last

its being installed later and later each year;
    3-aug-12
    15-jul-11
    13-jul-10

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

whatever. sure maybe you will drown one of these days and I will be able to watch it from the shore. Its mighty craic altogether to see someone else have a an accident.

No need for the sarcasm, watching other people have accidents can be a great laugh when done right.

Advertisement