Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult would it be to convince business to adopt a new currency?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Let's imagine something like Bitcoin here. Let's imagine we get fed up of the dysfunctional monetary system we have, in which money supply dictates supply and demand rather than the other way around. And we create our own currency.

It already happens on an unofficial level. Store Credit. Vouchers and Coupons. Book tokens, etc.

How hard would it be for a group of citizens to come together and create something like that en masse, which would function as a currency but be outside the control of banks etc? BitCoin is something I have used as an example of this, but it's undoubtedly flawed with its cap and built in deflation.

Do you guys foresee something like this ever actually managing to take hold?

I don't ask this out of pure academic interest, I ask it because it's something I'm genuinely considering trying to start some kind of campaign for. It might sound completely mad, but most good ideas sound completely mad at the time :P

Could it be done? Think "store credit" except it's universally accepted, at least within Ireland.
    It was done in Guernsey with great success to this day, but it was government backed and sponsored there. Here I'm talking about citizens and companies creating their own currency to use, of their own initiative.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The central bank actually has very little direct control over the money supply; banks provide loans first and then they look to shore up reserves, if they fall short of (or are at risk of falling short of) the reserve limit (so the money supply is actually playing catch-up). The main point of control is the interest rate.

One of the problems with an electronic, anonymized currency, is that it becomes a lot more difficult to apply taxation and determine capital assets for means testing (the flow of money becomes a lot less transparent).

Whatever way you set it up though, the primary underpinning of a fiat (government monopoly) currency is that it's the only way to pay taxes, so business can't switch away from it entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Where/how would you exchange it? Who would control the exchange rate? Who would be in charge of printing this new "money"? The idea is completely unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

currency is irrevelant.......as it a receipt for goods and services, it only represents what those are worth..

the problem with the euro.....is because all goods and services were not represented by their worth.....so it created a false economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

currency is irrevelant.......as it a receipt for goods and services, it only represents what those are worth..

the problem with the euro.....is because all goods and services were not represented by their worth.....so it created a false economy...

I just reread this, how did it create a "false economy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any currency needs to be government backed (as in your Guernsey example ) or else no-one will trust it. They might use it to be buy groceries in a local shop as in some small English towns currently, but not for a major transaction.
    No-one will want to be the fool left holding bundles of worthless coloured paper when it all falls apart.

simpsons_i-and-s_money.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Let's imagine we get fed up of the dysfunctional monetary system we have, in which money supply dictates supply and demand rather than the other way around. And we create our own currency.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you should read up on some basic economic theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It already happens on an unofficial level. Store Credit. Vouchers and Coupons. Book tokens, etc.
    Store credit, vouchers, coupons, etc are ultimately promissory notes backed by the retail outlet for a value in conventional money. So they're not really an alternative form of currency, official or otherwise, more like a cheque with lots of restrictions.
    How hard would it be for a group of citizens to come together and create something like that en masse, which would function as a currency but be outside the control of banks etc?
    Extremely hard. To begin with, consider a group of citizens come together and create a new currency called the 'Foobar'. How are they going to convince other citizens to part for goods and services for Foobars, rather than Euros, Pounds or Dollars?

One way of doing this is to use a currency backed up with something of value. The most straight forward way, naturally, is to make the currency out of a precious metal such as gold. Alternatively you can introduce a fiat currency that may be exchanged for something of value (e.g. 100 Foobars may be exchanged for one ounce of gold).

Naturally, all of the above have issues; having enough of a store of something of value to back up (or mint) your money. And in the Fiat currency scenario, somewhere to store it and that people trust the exchange promise.

Otherwise, your "group of citizens" is simply asking their fellow citizens to trust them, that this currency is worth anything or that it will be administered competently and honestly.

We can generally trust that a government can do this, but beyond this the level of trust becomes much more localized, which is why such alternative currencies tend to have very limited scope, be it BitCoins, Ven, Totnes pounds or even World of Warcraft gold.

But possibly the best argument against an alternative currency is the market. That is, why would people choose to abandon an existing currency for a new, and often untested/untrusted, one? If the World's currencies were all to collapse tomorrow, then I have no doubt that people might well turn to BitCoin or whatever, but that would require that all the World's currencies collapse. If the Euro collapsed, you'd just see people turn to the Dollar or Pound Sterling. And if they in turn collapsed, they'd turn to the Franc or Yen. TBH, even before collapsing, we've already seen a fair bit of this, especially where it comes to the Franc, which has appreciated, against the Euro, by about 35% since 2008 and had reached almost parity in 2011. Had the SNB not intervened, the Franc would almost certainly now be worth more than the Euro.

As to "the control of banks", I don't think you understand what banks, or financial services ultimately are - they're private businesses that appear so as to fill a demand or need.

As such, even if your Foobar was adopted, you're still going to have people who save more Foobar than they spend and want to invest it, and others who want to borrow it; and that means other people will appear to facilitate this and make money from doing so.

And inevitably, once you become a key player in the supply of the medium of exchange (money), you'll end up becoming influential. If you don't believe me, feel free to read up the early history of some of the banking families; notably the de' Medici and Rothchild families.

So while I overall appreciate your idealism, it's not really grounded in reality and would echo the sentiment that perhaps you should read up on some basic macroeconomic theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I wonder is the OP old enough to remember the sheanegans that happened at the time of the Euro switch?

Despite ad campaigns and threats of legal action prices went up more than the exchange rate & inflation allowed for.

So without going into detail your suggestion is just allowing the opportunity for chancers to take extract the urine on a wide scale, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It may also be worth pointing out that such currencies have been created quite regularly, and generally fail to spread beyond a small group, although they may last for some time - an uncle of mine was involved in one in Dublin for a good few years.

Otherwise, the Corinthian has it pretty much nailed - banks weren't imposed on the monetary system, they're an evolutionary outcome of the things people want to do with their money.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Otherwise, your "group of citizens" is simply asking their fellow citizens to trust them, that this currency is worth anything or that it will be administered competently and honestly.
    Are these not the very same problems we have with the pound, the dollar, and the Euro or indeed any Fiat currency? Could anyone argue that they have been competently and honestly administered? For example, one pound sterling has had its value stripped away significantly since the advent of central banking and the concomitant printing. It seems the pound and the foobar have essentially no difference between them other than a government is propping one up and printing it for its own ends instead of the other.

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Are these not the very same problems we have with the pound, the dollar, and the Euro or indeed any Fiat currency? Could anyone argue that they have been competently and honestly administered?
    OK then, how about you send me €1,000 and I'll exchange it for 1,000 Foobars, at a 1:1 rate? You will be able to spend those Foobars with anyone who accepts them, which is presently just me, but I'm sure will grow.

If not, tell me why not.

OK then, how about you send me €1,000 and I'll exchange it for 1,000 Foobars, at a 1:1 rate? You will be able to spend those Foobars with anyone who accepts them, which is presently just me, but I'm sure will grow.

If not, tell me why not.
    The foobar is not the state-backed currency of anywhere, which was my point. The only difference between the foobar and any other fiat currency is that the foobar has no state propping it up.

You said:
    Otherwise, "group of citizens" is simply asking their fellow citizens to trust them, that this currency is worth anything or that it will be administered competently and honestly.
    I'm saying that such a 'group of citizens' can also be the group of citizens comprising the state whom we trust to ensure that our currency has any value and that it will be administered competently and honestly. I don't think you can argue that any of the main fiat currencies have been administered honestly or competently, judging by the devaluing effects of 'quantitative easing' and fractional reserve banking.

Because, I tell you, the £200 I put in the bank two years ago buys quite a bit less than it did then. Do you call that competent or honest administration? Calling money printing 'quantitative easing' but failing to mention that it is also a tax on saving? How does money printing 'ensure that our currency has any value'?

As I said, the euro is a Foobar, just one with political backing -- a crucial point you seemed to miss in your first post above.
    No-one will want to be the fool left holding bundles of worthless coloured paper when it all falls apart.
    Which might explain the price of Gold, no?

I'm saying that such a 'group of citizens' can also be the group of citizens comprising the state whom we trust to ensure that our currency has any value and that it will be administered competently and honestly. I don't think you can argue that any of the main fiat currencies have been administered honestly or competently, judging by the devaluing effects of 'quantitative easing' and fractional reserve banking.
    No, but you'll still trust your wealth with them before you would with me (if not the 1:1 offer still stands). Remember, I did say the biggest impedament is the market - more correctly the alternives out there.

At present the Foobar is a worthless currency, more likely to end up funding my beer than act as the foundation of an economy, because there are too many better (however flawed) alternative. But come the zombie apocalypse, you may wish you had taken me up on my offer.
    As I said, the euro is a Foobar, just one with political backing -- a crucial point you seemed to miss in your first post above.
    Of course it is. All money is and always has been. Even gold - after all, what use is gold to someone really? It has some practical uses, but you can't eat it.

And since the early seventies, when everywhere all but gave up on backing up their currencies even with the yellow stuff in any real way (not that it was prior to that because the money supply had long surpassed the supply of gold in the World) it's become even more worthless in reality.

That's the point I have been making; money is what we believe it to be worth. And if you want to create a new currency, you have to convince people it is worth something and only at national or multinational levels is anyone in any position to do this beyond small groups.

And if you want to create a new currency, you have to convince people it is worth something and only at national or multinational levels is anyone in any position to do this beyond small groups.
    Convince? Or coerce? It is the specified legal tender of a country after all. You can't deny that anyone trying to influence the use of other monies in an economy would meet with significant obstruction from the state. It is mighty hard to tax your citizens when they use whatever money is most expedient at the time. I'm just thinking of the nightmare I'd have with the VAT man if I tried to simply exchange goods and services with some of the clients I work with -- an audit from HMRC would be quickly on the horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I just reread this, how did it create a "false economy"?

look at the irish building boom as one example......

there are many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

there are many others.

....and that has what to do with Euro specifically?

Convince? Or coerce? It is the specified legal tender of a country after all. You can't deny that anyone trying to influence the use of other monies in an economy would meet with significant obstruction from the state.
    You're actually going off on a complete tangent here.
    It is mighty hard to tax your citizens when they use whatever money is most expedient at the time. I'm just thinking of the nightmare I'd have with the VAT man if I tried to simply exchange goods and services with some of the clients I work with -- an audit from HMRC would be quickly on the horizon!
    Paying VAT under a barter system... hmmm... if horses were common forms of barter, the revenue would soon get more horses asses than they do now...

there are many others.

Indeed what does that have to do with the currency?

You're actually going off on a complete tangent here.
    I was just trying to make the point that the only difference between the euro and any other paper currency not in circulation is political power. So my answer to the original post would be very difficult unless one had the backing of the state.

I was just trying to make the point that the only difference between the euro and any other paper currency not in circulation is political power. So my answer to the original post would be very difficult unless one had the backing of the state.
    Certainly governments will ultimately protect their monopoly on the control of money, and have done so in the past, however you're also missing the point I'm making; which is even without this protectionism, confidence in a new currency would face insurmountable limitations which will inevitably lead it to only limited and localized adoption at best.

• Advertisement

Certainly governments will ultimately protect their monopoly on the control of money, and have done so in the past, however you're also missing the point I'm making; which is even without this protectionism, confidence in a new currency would face insurmountable limitations which will inevitably lead it to only limited and localized adoption at best.
    What about gold? You brushed off its practical uses earlier but these uses are what sets it apart from any fiat currency -- it will always hold some value.

And based on your quote above, do you believe that without state backing, no nationally accepted currency would evolve?

What about gold? You brushed off its practical uses earlier but these uses are what sets it apart from any fiat currency -- it will always hold some value.
    It's not so much practical uses as practical use. The use of commodity money has been around since the classical period and it does work, however there are some practical limitations; for a start, there's not enough gold in the World to replace the present money supply.
    And based on your quote above, do you believe that without state backing, no nationally accepted currency would evolve?
    I think it unlikely; at least for widespread or national acceptance.

There's plenty of scope for alternative currencies with limited adoption though.

http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/story.aspx?ID=1725808

I think anyone who has had any interest in this topic needs to read the above profile of Bernard von Nothaus, the man behind The Liberty Dollar, a highly successful private currency that was stopped in the end by state coercion. Here was a currency that people and businesses willingly used (where they could) instead of the dollar. So I think in light of the original question, we may have to say far easier than you think!

The question now should be: how far could you get with a gold backed currency, before the state stopped you to preserve their monopoly?

The Liberty Dollar was never really a currency. "Hundreds of merchants nationwide" eventually chose to accept the currency, which is not exactly a serious uptake and this is because it was never in reality meant to be such, but as a means to back up one's wealth with precious metals as a means of avoiding inflation. In short, it was an investment.

Problem was that it wasn't a very good investment. If you examined the value of precious metal in the coins or that one could redeem your notes for, it actually was a fraction of what you paid for it (in USD). In essence, you might have bought 50 USD of Liberty dollars that were underpinned by 10 USD of silver.

None of which should be surprise, because it costs money to design and mint coins, design and print banknotes, distribute and administer them, and so on. It was a business.

Why the US government chose to chase the Liberty Dollar and ignore some of the other alternative currencies out there, I can't say, but I'd imagine that it is down to a combination of the exploitative business model and that while strictly speaking not counterfeiting, you can hardly deny that there was a large element of 'passing off'. For example, take the following Liberty Dollar coin:

ldf_silver_large.jpg

While it clearly does state that it is a Liberty Dollar, it also borrows heavily from the US Dollar too. The symbolism is similar and text, such as "trust in God" is almost a cynical reworking of "in God we trust" that you'll find on US Dollars.

So my feeling is given that the US government has largely ignored other alternative currencies with similar money supplies, their prosecution of the Liberty Dollar was more about it 'passing off' as the US Dollar, while screwing the buyer on the value of 'redeemable' silver.
    The question now should be: how far could you get with a gold backed currency, before the state stopped you to preserve their monopoly?
    The Wörgl Experiment probably is the best answer to this. In essence, the experiment's initial results were extremely positive (although it is important to note that it only ran for little over a year) and as a result other towns in Austria began to seek to join the experiment. This resulted in the Austrian government shutting it down, for fear that they would end up losing control of monetary policy.

So to answer your question, a government would likely step in when a currency begins to see accelerated adoption, before it reaches a critical mass that might undermine the national currency.

If you wanted to avoid this, I would imagine the best strategy would not to sell it as a 'currency' but as an 'investment' that happens to lend itself to be used like a currency - like barer bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Our currency is a fiat currency anyway though. What difference does it make whether or not the governments "officially" back it, if they're not willing to take the necessary steps to safeguard it?

The reason I post threads like this is effectively that I'm trying to understand something which falls outside economic theory, that is, why the artificial means of trade (in this case, currency) dictates how much trade can happen, rather than actual physical realities.

A crop of 500 potatoes planted during the boom will still feed as many people now as it did back then, the farmer is still planting them, people still need food. The system of trade we use has hit major problems, and because of that, despite there physically being enough potatoes and physically being enough people willing to plant them, and physically being enough people who need to eat them, potatoes are rotting unsold and people are going hungry.

Does that analogy make any sense?

As far as I can see, "money" comes into "circulation" when a bank issues a loan - with interest due. Hence, the total amount of debt owed back to them is always greater than the total money in circulation.

You say that private banks are not obligatory - let's imagine there weren't any. Let's suppose the only bank in Europe was the ECB.

How then would new euro currency get into circulation in the first place?
    And if banks are not in fact "necessitated" by our monetary model, why is it necessary for us to pay them when they screw up, instead of being able to let them collapse like the corner shop does if it follows a crackpot business model?

I'm basically trying to come up with a system which wouldn't have either of the above problems - an endless debt cycle, or dependence on a for profit company to facilitate all trade. If currency was issued as a public service - not with profit in mind - it strikes me that this could potentially solve quite a few problems.

I'm basically trying to come up with a system which wouldn't have either of the above problems - an endless debt cycle, or dependence on a for profit company to facilitate all trade. If currency was issued as a public service - not with profit in mind - it strikes me that this could potentially solve quite a few problems.

They've been debating and discussing this for centuries, there is no quick or easy fix, no "new" ideas. We will always have to buy houses (debt) and companies and countries will always have to borrow (debt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I've read about ideas of replacing all private banks (at least insofar as private deposit banks i.e. for personal accounts), with a public bank that issues currency without requiring interest payments on debt (presumably not providing interest on deposits either), but I've not read enough about the idea to really flesh it out and see in detail how it would work and what potential problems there would be.

The main issue with banking in the last while, from my point of view (and one of the most overlooked in the current crisis, with people trying to shift all blame onto government), is adequate management of risk on debts and making sure people are in a stable enough situation to pay the money back in a timely fashion (on schedule with the loan agreement).

This is where the banking sector massively failed, and which helped cause much of the housing bubble (too much carelessness on multi-decades-long debt, pushing the price of houses up), but you will always hear the blame put solely on government, when it is shared as both private banks and government are responsible for managing that risk.
    So, I don't see why a public deposit bank would not work, so long as this risk management (credit checks etc.) was adequately administered, and that defaults or writedowns on loans are kept to a minimum (not allowing the private debt rate to balloon as well).

You would still have private investment banks etc., but there would be a clear delineation between these different types of banking (which there is not now), which would greatly reduce risk on peoples personal money.

It would be interesting if anyone has more links/reading on the public deposit bank idea; I've only read a small amount on it, and it seems a good idea.

Our currency is a fiat currency anyway though. What difference does it make whether or not the governments "officially" back it, if they're not willing to take the necessary steps to safeguard it?
    It's not so much that they're not willing to take the necessary steps, rather than they don't know what they are. Ultimately all macroeconomic policy is based on theories that operate in an ever changing environment that includes variables that inevitably are omitted. In reality, we don't actually know anything.

In simple terms, any macroeconomic policy that is exerted upon an economy is a bit like slapping an ass (of the four legged variety) - doing so should cause it to move forward, but on occasion it may also decide to kick you instead.

Why is impossible to measure; statistical data may be accurately collected, but by the time it is, its already out of date. Consumer behaviour changes for a multiple number of reasons that we could not possibly track. And there are as many variables in an economic model as there are stars in the sky, so we end up aggregating them - which is economists way of saying "we're ignoring the details and looking at things in broad, general terms".

All of this means that we at best know what is likely to work, what should work or what did work in the past. But we don't actually know if it will work, or how well, in the future.

Look at the Eurobonds idea; on the face of it pooling all of the EU's credit should drastically reduce the pressure against the Euro and bring back real confidence in the currency. But what if it doesn't and the market reaction is mooted or sceptical? Or what if it simply puts oil on the fire of overspending in some of the PIGS nations? Germany, and the other stronger EU economies, would suddenly find themselves in the same mess as Greece, Spain or Ireland, with little control on how to enforce good governance and the firewall that divided national debts from each other, thus protecting them, will be gone.

A collapse of the Euro, however disastrous, would appear to be the lesser of two evils, for them.

So in reality, it's not so much that governments are not willing to take the necessary steps to back a currency, it's that they're not sure what those steps are and if any policy will do so or make things even worse.
    The reason I post threads like this is effectively that I'm trying to understand something which falls outside economic theory, that is, why the artificial means of trade (in this case, currency) dictates how much trade can happen, rather than actual physical realities.
    That's always existed though. 'Paper' money took off because using gold and silver coinage ended up dictating how much trade we could do. In the eighteenth century, trade with China was such that we bought huge amounts from there, yet the Chinese had little interest in buying from us (a balance of trade deficit that we can relate to today). This resulted in a scarcity of coinage domestically as silver and gold coins literally became difficult to come by.

Remember all economics is, is the study of how we manage scarcity; that includes money.
    A crop of 500 potatoes planted during the boom will still feed as many people now as it did back then, the farmer is still planting them, people still need food. The system of trade we use has hit major problems, and because of that, despite there physically being enough potatoes and physically being enough people willing to plant them, and physically being enough people who need to eat them, potatoes are rotting unsold and people are going hungry.
    The reason that the potatoes are rotting is that the market for them has run out of money. They spent it on other stuff. Or gambled it away.

In reality though the potatoes won't rot. A business will still want to get it's money back somehow (it cost money to produce them, after all) and unless it can sit on them in the hope that things pick up, it will lower its price and/or find another market that will be able to pay.
    As far as I can see, "money" comes into "circulation" when a bank issues a loan - with interest due. Hence, the total amount of debt owed back to them is always greater than the total money in circulation.
    Not actually true. Money comes into circulation through numerous means; the central bank (or ECB now) lending to other banks, who in turn lend to the public is one means. Government subsidies, social welfare, contracts and public works actually constitute a very large part of how money gets into an economy.

So even if there were no banks other than the ECB, money would still enter the economy; the government would pay civil servants, who would spend it. And suppliers and contracted companies, who would spend it. And welfare recipients, who would spend it. And so on.
    First of all, you need to differentiate between the accounting and economic definitions of profit.

A school kid goes out, buys some lemons, bottled water, sugar, a juicer, plastic cups and the materials to put up a stand outside their home. All this costs them €50 and in the end they produce enough lemonade for 150 servings at €1 each, which they sell out.

The accounting profit is €100. The economic profit is zero. Why? Because €100 is the cost of their labour and risk; squeezing the lemons, setting up the stand and sitting at it to sell the lemonade. The risk is that anyone would even buy the lemonade - and this is important, because were there no reward for risk, no one would ever invest in or start a business.

So 'profit' is necessary. Without it no one would bother to set up a business. Even if they could earn themselves a salary, why would they risk losing their money when all they'll get is the same as a guaranteed salary in a 9-to-5? Related to this is also why go to college and work (study) for free if you're not going to get a better paid job as a result?

One can argue that the reward is to be your own boss, but in reality, while many entrepreneurs remain so because of this, even though they'd be better off employed by someone else, no one ever becomes one for this reason.

Debt is another matter, as we discovered four years ago. In theory things like debt and inflation are not necessarily a bad thing, as long as they're expected - if we can, we can factor them in as a cost.

The problem arises when they're not expected - when the ass chooses to kick rather than move forward - and this is what we have now. A good example of this is in the practice of leveraging; you borrow, on a short term, a huge amount of money on an investment which you'll flip long before you ever have to pay the principle. This is how most financial trading works; in FX trading, for example, you can easily leverage up to 400 times, as fluctuations are tiny, this means you're in reality only exposed to a tiny loss, unless there is a savage shock to the system, and that's when you're in trouble.

Every economic bubble in history was caused by leveraging that went sour, even Ireland's property bubble.

Which brings us to the biggest leveraged bubble in history; the World Economy. Fiat money used to be backed by gold and exchangeable for it. Except it wasn't, because post-World War II the World economy expanded so rapidly, that there simply was not enough gold in the World to back it. So we essentially wrote IOU's saying that when we dig up the gold, you can exchange your currency for it.

And this pretence continued until 1971, when the US gave up the ghost and as many other currencies and commodities, such as oil, were pegged to it, so did everyone else. Ever since, money is worth only what we believe it to be worth and bizarrely, we price currencies in terms of other currencies that are just as worthless.

This economic expansion essentially became an opiate to distract us from this reality. Just as in China, economic growth is kept artificially high to quell dissent, we've essentially done the same so as to prove to ourselves that it is somehow worth something.

In this regard, I'd hardly blame the banks, or the government, because ultimately we're all part of this same self-deception. It's only because it is being questioned (not necessarily unravelling) now that many of us are out with torches and pitchforks looking for someone to string up and hopefully solve the problem with as little pain as possible.

... I'd imagine that it is down to a combination of the exploitative business model
    If a gold and silver based currency had an exploitative business model, how would you define a currency where the proprietors could print as much of it as they wanted, devaluing what you already own?

• Advertisement

If a gold and silver based currency had an exploitative business model, how would you define a currency where the proprietors could print as much of it as they wanted, devaluing what you already own?
    I never said it did, I suggested that the Liberty Dollar did.

The 'devaluation' occurred when you 'converted' your US Dollars to Liberty Dollars. You would pay US$50 for currency backed by silver or gold only worth US$10 - 80% of your investment was swallowed up in the 'conversion'.

Of course, if predictions of gold or silver being worth 100 times their present value in the future are true then in the long run you make money - but if that's why you're buying Liberty Dollars, as an investment, then you're better off buying bullion instead.

Advertisement