Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best small engine car 1.0-1.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/500/1.2-LOUN/23113418343826640/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

If you're considering a Panda how bout the 500? Much nicer than a Focus if you don't need any space. And definitely superior to an Auris or indeed any other poxy Toyota!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭haribos

veetwin wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/500/1.2-LOUN/23113418343826640/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

If you're considering a Panda how bout the 500? Much nicer than a Focus if you don't need any space. And definitely superior to an Auris or indeed any other poxy Toyota!

Amazing how the time change, People these day actually recommending FIAT's and putting down TOYOTA's !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

haribos wrote: »
    Would you consider elaborating? Perhaps state the main area it is below power:)
    In no way am i trying to bait an all out car fight here !!

You're grand!

I know these cars better than most, my main gripes would be:

Engine, nothing particularly wrong with the 1.4 petrol, it was great in the older corolla, but the auris is too heavy for it, the exhaust is very very noisy on these, 1.4 diesel 5 speed is dead as a dodo

Gearbox; gear change is very vague and obstructive, it's clunky, you can hear the gearbox linkages moving from 20 feet away,

Interior; dreadful finish, rattly and cheapo seat fabrics

Equipment; there are better equipped little tikes cars than an auris terra, even the Luna models are relatively sparse considering the competition

Styling; meh

Driving; bleh

Just go out and buy a 2003 -2004 Alfa Romeo 147 for 1500euro, sure there Italian and mad reliable:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

veetwin wrote: »

a fiats superior to a Toyota :confused::confused:?

I think sales figures between the two for the last 20 years could tell a different story
    http://http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3215775

i'd buy this anyday before THAT !

• Advertisement

Colm, My point is everything you have mentioned the common motorist does not care
    about. Gearbox, exhaust, driving.........Meh
    Size, Reliability, Running cost's...........Yeah

So you reckon the auris is reliable and economical? More so than its piers?

For example I reckon a Hyundai i30 would beat an auris on almost any metric

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You're grand!

I know these cars better than most, my main gripes would be:

Engine, nothing particularly wrong with the 1.4 petrol, it was great in the older corolla, but the auris is too heavy for it, the exhaust is very very noisy on these, 1.4 diesel 5 speed is dead as a dodo

Gearbox; gear change is very vague and obstructive, it's clunky, you can hear the gearbox linkages moving from 20 feet away,

Interior; dreadful finish, rattly and cheapo seat fabrics

Equipment; there are better equipped little tikes cars than an auris terra, even the Luna models are relatively sparse considering the competition

Styling; meh

Driving; bleh
    well,, the cons on your Fiat are to long to list if these are your grips on buying a used car.
    you watch way to much Top Gear :D

Yes. I go purely on Top Gear.

I've never actually bought or sold fiats or toyotas or Hyundai's, never opened the bonnet of a car actually.

more reliable than the fiat im saying, probably not as economical, for the obvious reason, its a bigger car

yes the Hyundai i30 is a nice looking car,, but not really around long enough to judge yet,,,unless i compare them to past Hyundai's,(as im judging the Auris) in that instance, my opinion on them wouldn't be favourable .

• Advertisement

Yes i would say it is up there, I could never look past a VW Golf if i was looking for a small car but they are very expensive.... Toyota's are boring there is no doubt, but they tick all the important boxes, yeah my Girlfriend has a 1.4 diesel and it gets far better mpg to my car, had it 3 years and its never been to a garage, all it needs is simple things like services and brakes etc, things you could go at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

geneyuss wrote: »
    well,, the cons on your Fiat are to long to list if these are your grips on buying a used car.
    you watch way to much Top Gear :D

What exactly are the gripes with modern fiats?

more reliable than the fiat im saying, probably not as economical, for the obvious reason, its a bigger car

yes the Hyundai i30 is a nice looking car,, but not really around long enough to judge yet,,,unless i compare them to past Hyundai's,(as im judging the Auris) in that instance, my opinion on them wouldn't be favourable .

They are around 4 years and there are no horror stories. It's sister car the Kia Ceed is available almost six years and the same applies to that.

a lot of people judge current models on their predecessors, which in both cases here clouds things.
    Doesn't bother me though, let other people pay a premium for humdrum cars.

i30 is out since 07, the ceed since the end of 06. Most are still inside manufacturers warranty.

Yes. I go purely on Top Gear.

I've never actually bought or sold fiats or toyotas or Hyundai's, never opened the bonnet of a car actually.

ha,,, i detect sarcasm :P , well either ways, ive seen many a fiat and hyundais with there bonnets up.
    i just dont think the Auris, or any Toyota is "poxy"

To be honest i did not think of the i30, yeah its a great car, i drove a 1.6 before, found it extremely jumpy, very loud interior noise, and to be honest a little rattly, but extremely reliable yeah,
    I would definitely test drive both.......

a lot of people judge current models on their predecessors, which in both cases here clouds things.
    Doesn't bother me though, let other people pay a premium for humdrum cars.

i30 is out since 07, the ceed since the end of 06. Most are still inside manufacturers warranty.

Never judge on a predecessor, Had a carina E,absolute tank of a thing.....sold it for a 2ltr Avensis.......Oh god pure and utter hassle

To be honest i did not think of the i30, yeah its a great car, i drove a 1.6 before, found it extremely jumpy, very loud interior noise, and to be honest a little rattly, but extremely reliable yeah,
    I would definitely test drive both.......

Dunno much about the 1.6 petrol, drove the 1.4 petrol quite a lot and it's quite quiet, we have a 1.6 crdi in the family, and even on the factory 17 inch wheels it's rattle free even on bad roads. Engine is lovely and quiet when on the move too.

I come from a real Toyota family, we had every generation corolla from the k20 up to the e100 mid 90s model. Then they started to lose their way a bit so we defected to mazdas.
    Where I lived, every neighbour bar one (who was through and through ford) had at least one Toyota, now just one Toyota left, replaced by Hyundai, Mazda, skoda, Mitsubishi (ford guy still has ford)

What exactly are the gripes with modern fiats?

the 500 in particular looks like a childs toy, according to some reviews it feels cheap, clunky and badly made, a mini cooper would be a way better buy if that's your kinda car,

i would suggest the Skoda Fabia as a possibility to the OP also

To be honest i cant get excited about any of these cars, they're all fairly boring in my opinion.....small family cars or hot hatches whatever they're called these days are all in and around the same... Nothing amazing has come out in years, bought a Vw Scirocco there in 2010, think its still maybe the best looking hatch back, but too expensive

• Advertisement

the 500 in particular looks like a childs toy, according to some reviews it feels cheap, clunky and badly made, a mini cooper would be a way better buy if that's your kinda car,

i would suggest the Skoda Fabia as a possibility to the OP also

Firstly a mini Cooper is a lot more expensive. It's a relatively cheap car but I wouldn't call the interior low rent by any means.

Never judge on a predecessor, Had a carina E,absolute tank of a thing.....sold it for a 2ltr Avensis.......Oh god pure and utter hassle

up until about 7 years ago i had a Carina E also,(my dad had it before that from one year old) a 96 1.6 petrol, i bet its still going today while i have gone through a host of different makes and models,
    my uncle had three of those Avensis that came after them, he bought them quiet new for hackneys, all 2.0 diesels, all gave alot of gearbox/clutch problems, but they were driven hard.

up until about 7 years ago i had a Carina E also,(my dad had it before that from one year old) a 96 1.6 petrol, i bet its still going today while i have gone through a host of different makes and models,
    my uncle had three of those Avensis that came after them, he bought them quiet new for hackneys, all 2.0 diesels, all gave alot of gearbox/clutch problems, but they were driven hard.

Carina e had 320,000 miles on it when I sold it...... they were beast's

Carina e had 320,000 miles on it when I sold it...... they were beast's
    good god,,, that's nearly to the moon and back,,, Toyota's rock

Firstly a mini Cooper is a lot more expensive.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3618957
    still within the OP's budget , as we try and stay on topic :rolleyes:

I meant new since you were speaking about some reviews which usually happen when new.

And that car is older and nearly three times the mileage in a private sale without warranty. Find a 2009 mini Cooper from a dealer with similar mileage for 9k and ill admit to defeat on that;)

I meant new since you were speaking about some reviews which usually happen when new.

And that car is older and nearly three times the mileage in a private sale without warranty. Find a 2009 mini Cooper from a dealer with similar mileage for 9k and ill admit to defeat on that;)

yes,,,sure a review can be 5/6 years old,,,it never changes :D
    and why from a dealer? I never by from a dealer and never will, anyhow its a 2007, with low milage for under E7000, probably get it for E6k
    OPs budget is E7500 btw, so im trying to keep within that, im sure if i went for his upper end id find one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

OPEL CORSA 1,2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Panda 100hp

Where can I get one of these (second hand)?

• Advertisement

There were a few of them knocking around a few months ago , don't see any now

Advertisement