Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Default option when clicking "follow"

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I could just totally be suggesting a change that would only benefit me, but I'll suggest all the how.

When you click to follow a thread or a forum, the default option is to be notified by email.

With the push on to have people use the "Follow" system in a much bigger way than they used to, it would seem to me that the least popular option for most people would be getting an email for every new post in a thread. I've done it in the past; it's annoying. I prefer to choose no email notification and then I just get notified of updates/new threads when I log into boards.

OK, so I have to do just one more click when I hit the "Follow" button, but these are exactly the kind of minor tweaks that usability people gush over.

Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree and the vast majority of people like getting emailed about new posts/new threads. Maybe it makes them feel wanted or something.

A simple query though would tell you what proportion of people get email -v- those who don't. If most people choose not to get email notifications for their followed threads/forums, I would suggest that "No email notification" is selected as the default option. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

I see where you're coming from, email notifications can be pretty irritating, especially on a busy thread. However, the amount of traffic we get from email notifications is pretty significant and I'd be loathe to tinker with it too much. It's difficult for me to justify changing a default that will most likely decrease engagement!

As far as data goes, currently active thread subscriptions break down as follows:

email notification: 3,600,698
    no email: 2,009,195

Of course it could be fairly convincingly argued that email notifications are only ahead because they are the default.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, we will bear it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks Paddy. If I didn't ask, I wouldn't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I've been meaning to ask about this very thing!

Could that "Stay up to Date with what's happening" screen that pops up when you hit follow be disabled altogether for people who have set the Default Thread Subscription Mode in Edit options to no email notification?

Do away with two clicks, great!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've been meaning to ask about this very thing!

Could that "Stay up to Date with what's happening" screen that pops up when you hit follow be disabled altogether for people who have set the Default Thread Subscription Mode in Edit options to no email notification?

Do away with two clicks, great!
    +1 for this.

Not your ornery onager

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement