Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr James Reilly and his unpaid debts

Options
  • 11-07-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

Hot on the heals of the Mick Wallace fiasco, we have another TD with apparently dodgy business dealings:
    Dr James Reilly will make a statement to the Dáil later today after his appearance on a list of debt defaulters.

It emerged yesterday that the Minister for Health’s name would be appearing in Stubbs Gazette over a €1.9 million unpaid debt.

The debt arises from his purchase with a group of investors of a nursing home in Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary. The Minister and four other investors, including former Fine Gael county councillor Anne Devitt, have failed to comply with a High Court order to repay the money to other investors.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0711/breaking4.html

I'm not one for jumping to conclusions and I want to reserve judgement until all the facts are available, but this doesn't look good. To paraphrase Micheál Martin, it's difficult to accept a person’s financial affairs are completely in order when they are in breach of a High Court order.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It will be interesting to watch this one in light of what was 'read into' the recent expenses row. to say that this is ok because it was at arms lenght is really not good enough for me. The idea that somebody would leave an investment of that scale alone is just a bit hard to swallow.
    Once again the system is showing up to be in disarray. Enda isn't playing it too well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The difference between this TD and Mick Wallace is that James Reilly hasn't defrauded the Revenue Commissioners to conceal poor business management & debt, pilfered pension funds of his employees or used taxpayer money in a deal with creditors.

It isn't illegal (or "dodgy") to actually owe money.
    I would have reservations about a Minister for Health being actively part of the private nursing care industry though. Surely a conflict of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

JustinDee wrote: »
    The difference between this TD and Mick Wallace is that James Reilly hasn't defrauded the Revenue Commissioners to conceal poor business management & debt, pilfered pension funds of his employees or used taxpayer money in a deal with creditors.
    I wasn't trying to imply that the two situations were the same.
    No, but it is dodgy to apparently defy a High Court order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How are you on high court orders?

I would have reservations about a Minister for Health being actively part of the private nursing care industry though. Surely a conflict of interest?

There was no prevarication about Higgins, Collins and Daly's motives in claiming expenses, let's see does Enda hide in the 'grey area' when it comes to his Minister. The conflict of interest is the important thing here. Having disclosed his interest in private nursing homes should surely have led this 'wind of change' government NOT to appoint him as Minister for Health.
    There is a difference between having knowledge of the sector and having investments in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Having disclosed his interest in private nursing homes should surely have led this 'wind of change' government NOT to appoint him as Minister for Health.
    If the disclosure was 'I made an investment, but it went to shìt and I've no chance of making any money out of it', then the conflict doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It will be interesting to watch this one in light of what was 'read into' the recent expenses row. to say that this is ok because it was at arms lenght is really not good enough for me. The idea that somebody would leave an investment of that scale alone is just a bit hard to swallow.
    Once again the system is showing up to be in disarray. Enda isn't playing it too well so far.

AFAIK this is what he was advised to do by the Standards in Public Office Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

Gurgle wrote: »
    If the disclosure was 'I made an investment, but it went to shìt and I've no chance of making any money out of it', then the conflict doesn't exist.
    So is it ok to be investing in a nursing home while you are the minster in charge of shutting down nursing homes???
    He has closed public nursing home which in turn creates new business for private nursing homes.
    He is also linked to Anne Devitt who had to leave FG after the Mahon report
    And rember Enda always said
    "Honest and integrity is what it is all about"

galway2007 wrote: »
    So is it ok to be investing in a nursing home while you are the minster in charge of shutting down nursing homes???
    He has closed public nursing home which in turn creates new business for private nursing homes.

At the FG farm they use foxes to mind the hens.

Dave! wrote: »
    AFAIK this is what he was advised to do by the Standards in Public Office Commission.

I have no doubt he was told this, I just think it's really not good enough from a System point of view. I have no doubt either that it is difficult to legislate for this across the Dail, but when it comes to appointing Ministers it should be a critical gamechanger.

• Advertisement

galway2007 wrote: »
    He is also linked to Anne Devitt who had to leave FG after the Mahon report
    And rember Enda always said
    "Honest and integrity is what it is all about"

It's been pointed out in another thread that really, experts in a field become experts by being involved in the field. It's rare that they'd be insulated from involvement in the industry that they've spent their lives studying and practicing, "Break glass if expert is required".

This same idea is often used to dismiss research or testimony from e.g. researchers who previously had involvement with pharmaceutical companies. It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think that as long as a potential conflict is declared up-front, the person shouldn't be automatically precluded. Of course, there should also be monitoring to ensure that the person isn't abusing their power to benefit themselves.

Ultimately I'd rather a Health Minister who has been involved in the medical field for his whole career, rather than another teacher on a career break. Ideally you'd have someone with relevant experience who has no potential conflicts of interest, but I'm not sure Fine Gael have anyone who can match Dr. Reilly in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ultimately I'd rather a Health Minister who has been involved in the medical field for his whole career, rather than another teacher on a career break.
    Seems that’s what a lot of posters on boards want – have we not been hearing calls for experts in relevant fields to be appointed to the cabinet? I don’t really see his involvement in a (failed) private nursing home as being an issue.

Maybe on Boards, but having listened to Pat Kenny this morning, it seems that the only thing people care about is the potential conflict of interest! That's what his listeners were saying anyway, even if it is a small sample.

It's been pointed out in another thread that really, experts in a field become experts by being involved in the field. It's rare that they'd be insulated from involvement in the industry that they've spent their lives studying and practicing, "Break glass if expert is required".

This same idea is often used to dismiss research or testimony from e.g. researchers who previously had involvement with pharmaceutical companies. It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think that as long as a potential conflict is declared up-front, the person shouldn't be automatically precluded. Of course, there should also be monitoring to ensure that the person isn't abusing their power to benefit themselves.

Ultimately I'd rather a Health Minister who has been involved in the medical field for his whole career, rather than another teacher on a career break. Ideally you'd have someone with relevant experience who has no potential conflicts of interest, but I'm not sure Fine Gael have anyone who can match Dr. Reilly in that regard.

Huge difference between being 'involved' and 'invested'. His aspiration was to benefit financially from a private nursing home while closing competing ones as Minister.

Maybe on Boards, but having listened to Pat Kenny this morning, it seems that the only thing people care about is the potential conflict of interest! That's what his listeners were saying anyway, even if it is a small sample.
    Problem is that his involvement with the nursing home industry was already known. The 'outraged' out there didn't seem to give a stuff about it then.

Problem is that his involvement with the nursing home industry was already known. The 'outraged' out there didn't seem to give a stuff about it then.

Is that a defence though?

Maybe on Boards, but having listened to Pat Kenny this morning, it seems that the only thing people care about is the potential conflict of interest! That's what his listeners were saying anyway, even if it is a small sample. Those were the texts he read out to us anyway

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He should resign but wont and nothing will be done to him :rolleyes:

Huge difference between being 'involved' and 'invested'. His aspiration was to benefit financially from a private nursing home while closing competing ones as Minister.

True, but wouldn't any other Minister for Health be closing down nursing homes also? He may hypothetically (see next paragraph) benefit from closing a specific nursing home or several (I'm not sure it can be said that he benefits financially from closing "nursing homes" in general; nobody is going to put someone in a private nursing home in Dublin because a public one was closed in Donegal), but if he gives sound reasoning for the closure and savings figures from the Dept, and if he's acting on recommendations, then isn't it fair enough?

And regardless, given that his investment has ultimately failed, doesn't it now mean that no potential conflicts of interest exist anymore? So the point is moot now.

Well I think it stands to the point that he has been up-front about it all along, and so I don't think that anyone can all of sudden claim sinister intent. Given that we're only talking in hypotheticals at this point (since the investment failed), this goes against any notion that he attempted to benefit from his position in an underhanded way. It's been in the public domain all along.

True, but wouldn't any other Minister for Health be closing down nursing homes also? He may hypothetically (see next paragraph) benefit from closing a specific nursing home or several (I'm not sure it can be said that he benefits financially from closing "nursing homes" in general; nobody is going to put someone in a private nursing home in Dublin because a public one was closed in Donegal), but if he gives sound reasoning for the closure and savings figures from the Dept, and if he's acting on recommendations, then isn't it fair enough?
    A Minister investing in the private health sector is a conflict of interests scenario. It is not 'fair enough' to fudge that in any way.
    And regardless, given that his investment has ultimately failed, doesn't it now mean that no potential conflicts of interest exist anymore? So the point is moot now.

Immaterial imo, his aspiration was to benefit financially, that may or may not extend into other areas of his brief. The Minister is compromised, the Minister should resign.

Well I think it stands to the point that he has been up-front about it all along, and so I don't think that anyone can all of sudden claim sinister intent. Given that we're only talking in hypotheticals at this point (since the investment failed), this goes against any notion that he attempted to benefit from his position in an underhanded way. It's been in the public domain all along.

Again, failure' is of no consequence, if the fox fails to get the chicken, would you leave the hole in the fence?
    Being 'upfront' brought no favours for Doherty or the Expenses Three.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

A Minister investing in the private health sector is a conflict of interests scenario.
    Did a minister invest in the private health sector or did a medical doctor invest in the private health sector and later go on to become minister for health?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Again, failure' is of no consequence, if the fox fails to get the chicken, would you leave the hole in the fence?
    Failure is of absolute consequence in this case.

If the investment hadn't failed, he would have been required to sell off his investment before taking up office. That wasn't an option in this case. Hypotheticals are irrelevant.

seamus wrote: »
    Failure is of absolute consequence in this case.

If the investment hadn't failed, he would have been required to sell off his investment before taking up office. That wasn't an option in this case. Hypotheticals are irrelevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but had the recourse investors paid the non-recourse directors after 10 years, then he would have been a shareholder in a functioning, successfully operating private nursing home?

No but I'd say it illustrates exactly how subjective the apparently 'outraged' out there actually are in their thinking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but had the recourse investors paid the non-recourse directors after 10 years, then he would have been a shareholder in a functioning, successfully operating private nursing home?
    Yes. A shareholding which would then have been sold when he became Minister, as he would be required to do.

There is no way he could have been a shareholder on a functioning, profit making nursing home while at the same time being Minister for Health.

When this matter is resolved and the debt is cleared, he will then sell on or discard his shareholding in the business, as he is required to do.

No but I'd say it illustrates exactly how subjective the apparently 'outraged' out there actually are in their thinking.

It has been asked about in the Dail, that Enda saw no problem with it when appointing him is now up for testing.

When this matter is resolved and the debt is cleared, he will then sell on or discard his shareholding in the business, as he is required to do.

Trying to source the rules on that, can you post a link?
    Would he not also have been able to place this investment in a trust while he was Minister, as he did the debt?

Trying to source the rules on that, can you post a link?
    Would he not also have been able to place this investment in a trust while he was Minister, as he did the debt?

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/CodesofConduct/OfficeHolders/Name,745,en.htm
    Office holders should not take any part in the decision-making or management of the affairs of a company or practice and should dispose of, or otherwise set aside for the time-being, any financial interests which might conflict, or be seen to conflict, with their position as an office holder.

Even placed in trust, he would still be regarded as having a financial interest which would conflict with his position as Minister for Health.

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/CodesofConduct/OfficeHolders/Name,745,en.htm

Even placed in trust, he would still be regarded as having a financial interest which would conflict with his position as Minister for Health.

But he wouldn't necessarily have to get rid?

• Advertisement

But he wouldn't necessarily have to get rid?
    Well I don't know how one would "otherwise set aside" a financial interest of this kind without selling it on. As I say, even placed in trust it would continue to gain/lose value which could be seen to be an influencing factor on his decisions.
    I would be wrong to say that he is "required" to sell it on, but I don't see any way that he could have held onto it without finding himself up in front of SIPO for breach of their rules.

Advertisement