Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes-Benz CLS or Audi A7

Options
  • 07-07-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

After seeing a couple of these around now. Which one would you go for and why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think the Merc has more character. Audis are very same-same at the moment, and the Felt muppets are cheapening the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or how about this?

024220-2013-bmw-640i-gran-coupe-priced-76-895.1-lg.jpg

Strange idea, to add 2 doors on a large 6-series, which is traditionally a coupé. But I feel it has worked out remarkably well

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not the a7 anyway, it looks like an early 90s corolla liftback round the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cullow123

I have seen a few 6 series GC in sea blue. But the A7 is just so nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The 6. I'm not a Merc man, but the A7 is a great looking thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Definitely the CLS of the two mentioned, there is something about the rear end of the A7 that I just don't like. The line/distance between the top of the boot and the bottom of the bumper is too close, it looks a bit squashed. I'd have the A5 over the A7 anyday, its a far better proportioned car in IMO.

I think the 6 series is by far the nicest car in the segment, pity about the extra few euro for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

A7 all day

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Actually just looking at the A7 there again, I know what the problem is, there is no change in line and slope between the boot and the rear window, it makes the car look terrible in side profile, you can't tell where the window ends and the boot begins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'd go for the CLS. Beautiful no matter what way you look at it. There's just something about the A7 that in my opinion makes it look weird. It looks very cramped at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

CLS, although I think the first generation is still more attractive.
    Classy, elegant, stylish and timeless - none of those adjectives can be applied to the A7 or the 6'er.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

CLS is one of the more interesting designs out there at the moment. The a7 looks awkward from the back. A bit like JLo but you still wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not the a7 anyway, it looks like an early 90s corolla liftback round the back.

Do you mean the Sprinter? Was regarded as very stylish in a much more innocent (ie less avaricious) era.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joe 77

Of those two I'd take the merc , but if I had the price of such a car it would be the 6 series hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

My family has an audi s4. It's a great car. I be been in a few a7s they look great I have to say. Audi ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    Or how about this?

Strange idea, to add 2 doors on a large 6-series, which is traditionally a coupé. But I feel it has worked out remarkably well

BMW fanboi strikes again. That car is manky, especially the bonnet, and the headlights look Korean. Same for the current 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

n97 mini wrote: »
    BMW fanboi strikes again

:rolleyes:

I have owned several BMWs in the past and they proved to be great cars. I don't own a BMW now, I've never been a BMW fanboi and I hate many modern BMW designs.

Now stop those personal attacks on me or I will retaliate and that will get me banned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

unkel wrote: »
    Or how about this?

That is a stunning looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

To answer the question it would have to be the CLS for me as long as its not the 4 cylinder 250.
    I thinnk the A7 looks like a Austin Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I vote CLS.

The Mercedes CLS is really looking excellent right now.
    I think each manufacturer has spread their range out so far into every conceivable niche and category that they are all beginning to look the same.

However the Mercedes CLS is somewhat of an exception any time I see one. Get it with a decent engine and spec it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

n97 mini wrote: »
    BMW fanboi strikes again. That car is manky, especially the bonnet, and the headlights look Korean. Same for the current 5 series.

I quite like this, Bit more expensive than the other 2 i would presume though

car_photo_424822_25.jpg

Hey i put up a picture of a totally relevant car too, does that make me a fanboy?

photo_full.php?id=30884

If you were going to go for a car that costs about €150,000.

This or the 6 series GC.

edit: Picture won't show up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

of the 2 I'd have the CLS, but I'd need to have a look over the BMW aswell

Something about the CLS just says "beezer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

New CLS with an AMG pack. Will be picking one of these up when they hit about 5 years old and depreciation has done its thing.

Big big fan of the 1st Gen CLS

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sugna

A7 definitely.

Since there is no high proformance version of the Audi like there is with the mercedes Benz cls 63 Amg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

maddness wrote: »
    I thinnk the A7 looks like a Austin Princess.

austinprincess_420x284.jpgAdPrincess.jpg

Audi-A7-Sportback-2-650x459.jpg2012-audi-a7-sardinia-cp-lead.jpg
    I know right, which is which!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

09beee7b.jpg

1a3349af.jpg

It's a beautiful machine the A7. I would choose it over the Merc myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

cls all day everyday. a7 are much too bland and 6 series is just ugly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Bit of an Audi fan myself, understated class and not trying too hard. Had a drive in the new A6 Bi-Turbo 3.0 TDI at the weekend and with all the toys you could wish for. Blown away with the thing, it's like you know what off a hot shovel, has all the space and refinement a man could ever want and if you fancy a trip around Europe well what a nice place to spend the time driving, WOW.

Advertisement