Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7 on PC.... huh?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hate to break it to you but I had it on PC back in 1998.

It's a bit stupid only selling it from the Square Enix store.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but I had it on PC back in 1998.

It's a bit stupid only selling it from the Square Enix store.

now as you say it i did remembered it was on PC ages ago. there were mods to make it high ress too if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

"Experience this mythical story of conflict, betrayal and triumph like never before",
    bar the last time you played it on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

For a second I thought they were gonna go ahead with the remake from reading the post.
    I already have a PC copy of the game that still (shockingly) works, I still prefer to play it on the PS3.

Just checked that website, they offer graphical upgrade mods for the game though they dont actually sell the game. They tell people to use bit-torrent to get the game

edit: lol, nevermind, I was looking at the wrong website with very similar url

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

As far as I heard it's going to retail for about €9.99 on Steam

• Advertisement

As far as I heard it's going to retail for about €9.99 on Steam

Not sure about the accuracy but unfortunately

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118275-Square-Enix-Finally-Confirms-PC-Final-Fantasy-VII
    The new release will only be available from the Square Enix store, quashing rumors that the reboot might be coming to Steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't see this selling too well. I would think most FFVII enthusiasts would prefer the PSN version.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

So is this going to be exactly the same version or is it getting a facelift of some description?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So is this going to be exactly the same version or is it getting a facelift of some description?

It might be up rezzed but that will only apply to the polygons. All the videos and backgrounds are in 320x240 and probably have a blur-o-vision filter applied to make it worse.

They claim 3 new features

http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/en

Booster system whereby you can boost your character at any point in the game. Very few details provided but im willing to bet it requires your credit card to begin with.
    Cloud saves, where your save games will be saved to their server.
    And finally, 36 achievements

The website doesn't mention anything about graphical updates, but id say Retr0gamer is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Cheers guys, probably not worth looking at then, beat the game a long time ago and figured if it looked a bit better it might be worth a return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Krieg wrote: »
    They claim 3 new featuresBooster system whereby you can boost your character at any point in the game. Very few details provided but im willing to bet it requires your credit card to begin with.
    Cloud saves, where your save games will be saved to their server.
    And finally, 36 achievements

So... you can make the game even easier and nothing else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Tried to play it recently...on PC....and turned it off.
    I think it had to be in 640 x 480 or something awful like that , wasn't the greatest PC port in its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Maybe they're just strapped for cash. FF7 has been on PSN for the last few years and PC since 1998(i think)

I had a look of the graphics mods on youtube and they're not that great... Doubt Square is gonna do much better with this release.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I hope they have replaced the Midis.

Strange move by Squenix I have to say.

I think the voice over trailer is from 1997 in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

not sure if i'll bother buying this again, even though it is one of the best rpg's i have ever played it is incredibly dated and, can ye skip the summon cutscenes now or do ye have to endure them again?
    They were awesome the first few times, Ifrit's especially, but after a few hours of it it just gets boring :/

Yeah, at least FF8 had the option of shortened versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think it had to be in 640 x 480 or something awful like that , wasn't the greatest PC port in its time.

I keep a CRT display connected for just such occasions.

Never played 7...still waiting for a proper remake, beginning to doubt it's ever coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Kinski wrote: »
    I keep a CRT display connected for just such occasions.

Never played 7...still waiting for a proper remake, beginning to doubt it's ever coming.

A high res remake would be what I'm waiting for. I played it on pc back in the day, but due to some bug, I was on the 2nd disk, and my save game got completely corrupted. There was no way I was going to restart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My favourite game of all time. Have it sitting in my game list from PSN and give it a lash time to time.

FFVII is the reason I did sh*t in my leaving cert! :pac:

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, at least FF8 had the option of shortened versions.

Wish I'd known that when I was playing it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Wish I'd known that when I was playing it.

I'm pretty sure it didn't, shortened summon scenes were only available in 10 IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it didn't, shortened summon scenes were only available in 10 IIRC.

Actually, I think you are right. In FF8 there was that weird dynamic where you keep pressing SQUARE to increase the summon power so it actually required the long animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yeah that was the "Boost" ability to make them stronger.

I actually liked the FF9 method which was showing the full animation once every 10 times you summoned or similar. Think it showed the full thing as well if you were in "Trance" mode

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Pretty sure this is the latest version of the full game mod (at least it was the one all the sites were talking about a few months back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feature=youtu.be&t=2m3s

Tutorials and mod details are in the description

If you actually knew how the FF8 system worked then summons become absolutely useless because you end up doing silly damage with your weapons. However understanding that convoluted mess is the problem. I ended up using nothing but summons on my first go until I got stuck in Disc 3, the same place all use eejits get stuck and I had to change my tactics.

I think Square Enix think that releasing FFVII on their online store is going to increase interest in it and catapult them into a rival to Steam. They're in for a big surprise when they find out PC gamers are more interested in more complex games like Fallout or Baldur's Gate. Just hope they realise this soon so they can give the game a proper steam release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know what? I think I'll pass when this comes out, even speaking as someone who loves the game. Playing FF7 on my PS1 remains one of my fondest gaming memories to date, but I also admit in my heart that in many respects the game could be bloody awful. When people whine that games were better back in the day, I point to FF7's unskippable Summon cut-scenes, the invisible random encounters, the turgid controls, and the various other gameplay frustrations that an otherwise glorious game had.

noodler wrote: »
    Actually, I think you are right. In FF8 there was that weird dynamic where you keep pressing SQUARE to increase the summon power so it actually required the long animations.

True, I was scratching my head wondering where the option was to skip the bloody animations. Eden's is about a minute long if I remember correctly.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Wish there was a option to skip summon cutscenes. Killing ruby and emerald weapon would only take 5 minutes if there was. I had a laptop open in front of me when I was fighting them so I could have a quick browse while the KOTR summon animation was playing.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Knights of the Round is always worth summoning. Eden only does the damage you'd get from a few attacks at high stats.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement