Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Rapid...official pics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This would be a modern day polo saloon/cordoba then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

its just a passat for gods sake, i was expecting something exciting :confused:

Hints of the merc c class around the back, not exactly a looker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

very dated rear end on it. Front looks pretty sharp but that back is awful

• Advertisement

Last model cordoba looked good in the pictures too, like a mini Alfa 159 from some angles, I'm guessing in reality this skoda will be tall, long and narrow with a huge boot and no rear legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

500 + liter boot is massive all right, rear leg room will likely have been sacrificed to accommodate the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dharn wrote: »
    its just a passat for gods sake, i was expecting something exciting :confused:

Passat is a much bigger car. This one is slightly smaller than the current Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Seriously????

Awful Nissan Tiida

nissan-tiida-2009.jpg

New Skoda:

car_photo_538069_25.jpg

Its desperate, sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It looks a lot better than the last Skoda Rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I think it looks really really good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I really dont like it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Misleading car name is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh looks like a Octavia after a hot wash. Fat arse, middle aged trouser waistline, horrid snout of a front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Skoda promises well over 500 litres of boot space

Oooh, a Skoda, but with a big boot! What'll they think of next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The boggo version we will get is going to be like the tiida, a horrible looking thing. even with the huge alloys and the while paint.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Firstly, for something that is based on the Polo / Fabia / Cordoba platform its pretty impressive.

As far as I know, it will not be replacing the Octavia, that will remain.

However my issue is, why did they bother?

As someone who has owned both a Fabia (saloon) and an Octavia I don't see the market need for something in between.
    The Fabia had class leading boot capacity and adequate legroom in the back.

I think its nice, but considering Skoda's existing offerings I'm not sure it will find its place.

Firstly, for something that is based on the Polo / Fabia / Cordoba platform its pretty impressive.

As someone who has owned both a Fabia (saloon) and an Octavia I don't see the market need for something in between.

I think its nice, but considering Skoda's existing offerings I'm not sure it will find its place.

Next Gen Octavia is going to be bigger. ( nearer the Superb size )

This is a slot between to replace the current octavia,

vRS version might be a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

vectra wrote: »
    Passat is a much bigger car. This one is slightly smaller than the current Octavia.

coudn't judge the size from pic so it looks like a shrunken passat from the front the passat being the blandest design i have seen in years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Seems pointless to me. Then again, it is replacing that horrible Fabia saloon... what a manky car they were!
    Also don't see the point in making the Octavia nearer the Superb size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

The new Seat Toledo is the same car essentially, and IMO it looks even more dull than the rapid

car_photo_538195_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Maybe the Fabia will remain as a hatch only. This really isn't much to get excited about. It may not be as ugly as a Tiida, but a supermini platform stretched to c segment size, with no doubt a very basic suspension setup, so it's the same basic recepie. Maybe think of it more as a Fiat Linea which is a more elegant execution of the Tiida recepie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I see!

I wonder if this will eventually result in the Superb being increased in size to keep things consistent?

I'd hazard a guess if there was a VRS version it would be the 1.4 polo-GTI rather than the 2ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

When is the next generation Octavia due out?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

guys the first rapid wasn't rapid either with 1.3 engine and 60 hp underneath

800px-Skoda_rapid_001.jpg

i think that word "rapid" appeals to the look of the car not the performance as most of us may think

the back may look awful but it reminds me the old rapid and i think this was the case for skoda engineers

800px-Skodarapidback.JPG

Altreab wrote: »
    When is the next generation Octavia due out?

Josef Kaban says:
    "The new Octavia is finished, everything is ready. Now, it is in demanding testing. Octavia looks very sporty. I think you'll like it," he adds. "Every time I see it, I'm happy," he says with a smile.

Octavia 3 is ag good as ready to go into production.
    Word has it that the Octavia Hatch is due in March, then April for the estate and the VRS in June << The vRS I would take with a pinch of salt... I think 2014 would be more like it.

On another note.
    There is some interesting information here >> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/02/mqb-20120201.html <<

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

voojeq wrote: »
    guys the first rapid wasn't rapid either with 1.3 engine and 60 hp underneath

800px-Skoda_rapid_001.jpg

i think that word "rapid" appeals to the look of the car not the performance as most of us may think

the back may look awful but it reminds me the old rapid and i think this was the case for skoda engineers

800px-Skodarapidback.JPG

Not much power but great fun in a wet field back in the day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joe 77

It doesnt look to bad, but really would have to see one in Paddy spec before I make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's basically the VW Vento that is built for the India/China market since 2010 which shares alot of the stuff with the current Polo:

Volkswagen-Vento-India-Official-pics-1.jpg

volkswagen-polo-sedan-13.jpg

New Skoda grill looks very similar to the new Kia grill too. Should sell well here as the Irish love pint size saloons. Opel are even going to start importing a saloon version of the current Astra too.

• Advertisement

Judging on how much a flop the last model Astra saloon was, they shouldn't bother.

Advertisement