Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useless words that people say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You're a Shítehawk

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"n'anyways"

Seriously, just shut up and talk properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

People should need a licence to use the word 'literally'. It's so annoying when people use it in the wrong context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You could even say annoyed.com

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You could even say annoyed.com

That's a good one! Adding dot com to the end of a sentence, or even worse, saying the word 'hashtag'..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Not really related to the thread but another thing that annoys me is when people either blink a lot or close their eyes when trying to make a point. Pompous arseholes. Simon Coveney was doing it on Vincent Browne last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People who start sentences with "But no, blah blah..." when they werent asked something that required a yes/no answer and in many cases werent asked anything at all, it just seems to be some peoples way of starting a sentence and drives me nuts!

Another really annoying one is "I dont care what anyone says, I'm......" Generally used when about to give out even though what ever it is they dont care about wasnt being talked about. Its sort of a defence thing but angers me to the point where i'd love to punch the person saying it and say "well next time you'll care what i say!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

"lucky to have a job"
    I'm not lucky, I applied and was the best candidate

There is luck involved though. The best person does`t always get the job. Or even get called to the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

LordSmeg wrote: »
    The reality of the situation.
    At the end of the day.
    With all due respect.

Also:

Going forward
    Soft landing
    The fundamentals are sound

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

KNOW WHAT I MEAN
    The way to deal with morons who use “you know what I mean like?” as a conversational place holder, is to answer the question immediately they use it.

Jump in with either an immediate Yes or No and it will confuse the hell out of people and trip them up. Basically use whichever answer will be most confusing to their question. This will force them to stop in their tracks and consider why they used it.

Had a numpty of a client who used to use this all the time in order to take up space/place holder in the conversation.

After a while leaping in with an answer, he stopped using it.

The thing that bugs me now, is I'm not sure if he picked up on what I was doing or if it was an unconscious thing and the guy doesn't realise what happened:P Sadly he is still a numpty.

Also this guy aside "know what I mean?" isn't something I would associate with Ireland all that much but would consider it more of a London thing.

LITERALLY
    Similar to "know what I mean" jump in and when someone use literally, just jump into the conversation with "figuratively" when someone uses literally incorrectly. Basically trip up the person speaking and point out they are wrong.

REVERT
    Also there is a whole segment of the financial community who don't know how to use revert properly in emails.

I've spoken to friends who work in and around the IFSC and there are a whole host of people who use it incorrectly. Some people seem to use it in the exact same manner as reply, which leads to nonsense. We believe that people who don't understand the correct usage started using it to some more professional. Ironic that is ends up showing them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

"no reccession in your house"
    Can't book a holiday without someone saying that
    Was pissing rain one day, Dublin Bus nowhere to be seen so I flagged a taxi, the three old biddies said that about me

"lucky to have a job"
    I'm not lucky, I applied and was the best candidate
    Other people are unlucky and I wish them well but I won't feel grateful for a job and feeling like a serf, I deserve it

"in this current economic climate"
    It's used by everyone from top economists, moaning housewives on Joe Duffy show to lads haggling in shops
    Most overused phrase around

First World Problems, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

perfect i think is one of the most over used words around here anyway
    everything is perfect like when you give someone money to buy your groceries they say perfect
    or maybe i just notice it a lot more now that i am thinnking of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

When people add 'pal' on the end of a sentence they're usually not being very friendly.

Personally I hate 'bro', meathead expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Another one to tag on to Absolutely, is one hundred per cent.

I used to work in sales and we were told to use such buzz words when the client was saying something that we didn't agree with. They'd finish their sentence and then we would be told to say, "I hear what you're saying, absolutely, one hundred percent", and then we would proceed with our pitch.
    Sentences with no meaning. Plámásach if you will..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Enda.
    Kenny.

See? Completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paul_mcshane

quare... carlow people use it alot....

example: it was quare hard to do that job

people in northern ireland and in donegal and monaghan use that expression as well

she,s a quare job alright = something is good - impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paul_mcshane

more a slogan than a word but " the most vulnerable "

its purely designed to imply how compassionate and civilised the person uttering that faux concern - drivel is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Two that bug me are:

"methinks" - Friend of mine says it a lot and I squirm everytime I hear it.

"guesstimate" - Guesstimate? GUESSTIMATE? **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

link_2007 wrote: »
    "guesstimate" - Guesstimate? GUESSTIMATE? **** off

a guesstimate is something esb do with meters

they make a guess of how much units of electricity they think you have used... more often than not its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"revert" especially when used by management who dont understand what it actually means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"Ensure we stay at the heart of Europe...."

FF/FG/Labour crap to vote for something they know is ****e for the country.

We voted for Lisbon (eventually) to be at the heart of Europe apparently and what good did it do us? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Streamlining was one I used to hear a lot. Havent heart it recently though, everything must be streamlined now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

when people say 110 percent...........' im 110% certain that was the way it happened!'....ooohh, very annoying indeed!grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Please 'revert' to me. Eh no. You mean reply.

If I freeze water and make ice, and then it melts, the ice reverts to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

a guesstimate is something esb do with meters

they make a guess of how much units of electricity they think you have used... more often than not its wrong.

But they make the guess based on previous usage - so I dont know how it is different to an estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Personally.

People using mathematical symbols in sentences.

Isn't methinks a Shakspearean word and so acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

hightower1 wrote: »
    Several - wrecks my head when people use this when speaking about multiples of anything at all.

Single = 1
    Couple = 2
    Half dozen = 6
    Dozen = 12

Several = 7.

Edit: Also, amazeballs , totes, FML and anything that has a hashtag. Go back to your T4 programs if you want to talk like that and fcuk off.

Several doesn't mean seven. So you've probably been correcting people incorrectly for years. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

'Literally.'

You weren't literally rolling on the floor laughing.

And people who finish sentences with 'like'. Happens an awful lot in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

did you ever hear the expression "you know that kind of way?" USUALLY AT THE END OF A SENTENCE, I HATE IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

link_2007 wrote: »
    But they make the guess based on previous usage - so I dont know how it is different to an estimate?

ill give an example of my bills

feb 11 to jul 11 bill €781 guesstimate

after reading meter bill was down to €281 actual readiing

jul 11 to sept 11 bill was €89 guesstimate reading

sep 11 to nov 11 bill was €221 guesstimate reading

nov 11 to jan 12 bill was €41 actual reading

jan 11 to mar 12 was €210 guesstimate reading

mar 12 to may 12 was €109 guesstimate reading

i live in a (2 room with tiny bathroom) 1 bed flat... now tell me they dont guess the reading

Advertisement