Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Compact Referendum 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Text of the treaty is here, if anyone's interested. Haven't had a chance to go through it thoroughly yet, but it seems fair enough to me from what I've read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

Ok, so call me stupid or whatever you like but I have tried read articles and tried listen to arguments and honestly am clueless as to what this is all technically about.
    I'm not mad into politics, I like to try keep a breast but honestly anytime I attempt to get a deeper understanding of things the level of absolute bullology within the system sends my brain into turmoil.
    So basically can someone tell me in laymans terms what a yes would mean for now and future and what a no would mean. I do not want a biased answer from someone who is adamant on a yay or nay, id like to hear from someone who can offer the pros and cons for both sides of the argument.
    Better off asking here than holding my breath for eternity waiting on a politician or media outlet for the truth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Summary:

The Stability Treaty's proper title is "Treaty on Stability, Cooperation and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union", and that actually pretty much describes what the treaty contains and its aims.

At a very high level, it requires that a government maintains a budget which is balanced or which is surplus, provides an automatic correction mechanism which kicks in whenever any signatory breaks the budgetary rules and basically prevents any signatory who is also a member of the eurozone from acting unilaterally on any matter that would impact the eurozone.

A slightly longer brief is here

The outcome of the vote for the eurozone is largely uncertain no matter which way it goes, as this is untested water.

The only things we can say about the impact on Ireland are;

Yes Vote: Ireland will have access to borrow from EU institutions at "reasonable" rates. The budgetary rules will mean that until we balance the books our budgets will be subject to oversight by the European Commission (not by the Germans or the French), and this will require austerity in order to bring our budget in line.
    Irish Governments in future will be subject to the budgetary rules set out in the treaty

No Vote: Ireland will have limited access to borrow money, and will have to do so at much higher rates and/or much shorter terms. This will require even more severe austerity in order to increase income and reduce spending to meet the requirements of these loans. Future Governments will be free to budget however they please (within the constraints of any loan/bailout agreements that are entered into).

What voting "yes" or "no" to the treaty will not do either way:

- Guarantee Jobs
    - Guarantee Investment
    - Guarantee Stability (This is just an aim, not a guarantee)
    - End austerity (you only have a choice of "austerity" or "more austerity")
    - Allow Ireland to "burn the bondholders"
    - Require the Government to scrap the Croke Park Agreement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »
    What voting "yes" or "no" to the treaty will not do either way:

- Guarantee Jobs
    - Guarantee Investment
    - Guarantee Stability (This is just an aim, not a guarantee)
    - End austerity (you only have a choice of "austerity" or "more austerity")
    - Allow Ireland to "burn the bondholders"
    - Require the Government to scrap the Croke Park Agreement
    You left out a few other things it will not bring about:

- Introduce cheap, over the counter abortions
    - Enforced euthanasia (starting with Gay Byrne)
    - Teaching German mandatory in all schools

Otherwise, nice summation. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Won't sombody think of the euroarmy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jojo86 wrote: »
    Ok, so call me stupid or whatever you like but I have tried read articles and tried listen to arguments and honestly am clueless as to what this is all technically about.
    I'm not mad into politics, I like to try keep a breast but honestly anytime I attempt to get a deeper understanding of things the level of absolute bullology within the system sends my brain into turmoil.

Thought I was reading Ross O'Carroll-Kelly there for a sec! :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

Dades wrote: »
    - Introduce cheap, over the counter abortions

Cheap, over the counter abortions ain't worth a damn unless they're mandatory, cheap, over the counter abortions.
    Think of it as Swift's A Modest Proposal brought right up to date - nobody is going to do the year's worth of nursing these days, so not really suited for the stewing, roasting, baking or boiling. But a nine-month old foetus, well nourished, would nonetheless serve equally well in a fricassee, or a ragout.
    Think of it as going one better than the Chinese - we'll impress the shît out of them with our no-child policy!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

robindch wrote: »
    Won't sombody think of the euroarmy?

The one we were all conscripted into and paid 1.84 an hour for our trouble? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

seamus wrote: »
    Yes Vote: Ireland will have access to borrow from EU institutions at "reasonable" rates.
    Aside from being a ticket for ESM funding, it looks like signing up will be a prerequisite to being involved in further measures towards a "fiscal union" later on.
    But they won't say too much about that yet, the excitement would be too much.
    more

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recedite wrote: »
    But they won't say too much about that yet, the excitement would be too much.
    more
    Rather the scaremongering would be too much tbh.

Signing up for this treaty does not obligate a country to join any kind of central fiscal union at any stage, but I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Higgins and Gerry Adams jump on this as proof that we will be locked into a european superstate if we vote Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Did you see the latest in moronic posters?

90259338.jpg

I'm glad that they managed to get as much stupidity into one concentrated space. While it can be argued whether or not we need more or less austerity measures in the short term, I think it's pretty certain that a No vote would most likely lead to MORE austerity, not less.

They seem to have taken the usual stance of government idea = bad, and are campaigning against something without really taking into account what it actually means or involves. "Reject Home and Water Charges - Vote No" is almost criminally misleading.

Sometimes I despair at the complete abandonment of logic in favour of politics in the case of these relatively straight-forward Yes/No questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

\

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know times have been tough, but anyone who thinks we're experiencing austerity is kidding themselves. The only thing we have experienced thus far is pre-boom level budgets. Austerity, we most certainly haven't. How people cannot understand this is beyond me and I really hate people spout such misleading slogans like the posters shown above.

Jernal wrote: »
    I know times have been tough, but anyone who thinks we're experiencing austerity is kidding themselves. The only thing we have experienced thus far is pre-boom level budgets. Austerity, we most certainly haven't. How people cannot understand this is beyond me and I really hate people spout such misleading slogans like the posters shown above.

A couple of years ago someone I know was signing on and remarked on the number of people signing; "It's a wonder the country is still running." The person he was talking to replied "Yeah, and they're talking about cutting the dole again!". He didn't get the tone. :pac:

What we have now isn't austerity. Other than people who took out mortgages from 2000-2006 very few people have reason to complain, and even then they've no-one to blame but themselves. Whenever stats come out showing how poor people are I'd love to see a breakdown of such figures. When someone says they have a couple of hundred euro a month disposable income a month are they including the 4 quid cup of coffee they buy every morning on the way to lunch etc.? I'd love to know if there's anywhere in the world that could match the standard of living a single person on minimum wage can have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hard to decide on this one. On one hand financial stability through good loans should help but with the way our Governments run this country forcing their hand to make cuts to the bloated sections of our state expenses might not be the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

What we have now isn't austerity. Other than people who took out mortgages from 2000-2006 very few people have reason to complain, and even then they've no-one to blame but themselves...
    15% of the workforce can't find a job, a status which comes with financial difficulties, social disapproval and an elevated suicide rate. That number, the 15%, is massively deflated by the fact that a large portion of people in their 20s have had to leave the country of their birth.

Then there's the tens of thousands of people with unmanagable mortgages you mention.

As for the rest of us, yes, we're still employed in the first world, but how many of us have taken pay cuts? I'm on 2/3rds of the pay of my predecessor, my father's income has halved and my mother has been hit with substantial pay cuts and a levy on a pension for which she'll never qualify. Of my closest friends, perhaps half have emigrated, and half of the rest are without work. I will likely have to follow the emigrees before long. And every day there seems to be a new tax.

I've worked in the third world. The only difference in quality of life from here is I wasn't running a car there.

I don't know your position, but it must be nice up there.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hard to decide on this one. On one hand financial stability through good loans should help but with the way our Governments run this country forcing their hand to make cuts to the bloated sections of our state expenses might not be the worst.

LOL, do you think that would happen? Short of revolution nothing will ever change. Look at the North, give people a bit of power, they can work together somehow. If it were a "proper" system with full oppositions etc. they wouldn't look so friendly in public. Politics is nothing but an elaborate charade, sometimes a change in government will mean benefits for the mates of different people than under the last government, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

From YLYL

qELG3.jpg

I wish both were actually put up...

mikhail wrote: »
    15% of the workforce can't find a job, a status which comes with financial difficulties, social disapproval and an elevated suicide rate. That number, the 15%, is massively deflated by the fact that a large portion of people in their 20s have had to leave the country of their birth.
    Or you could say it's inflated by people staying. People leaving isn't deflating the figures, they are what they are.
    Then there's the tens of thousands of people with unmanagable mortgages you mention.
    Done.
    As for the rest of us, yes, we're still employed in the first world, but how many of us have taken pay cuts? I'm on 2/3rds of the pay of my predecessor, my father's income has halved and my mother has been hit with substantial pay cuts and a levy on a pension for which she'll never qualify. Of my closest friends, perhaps half have emigrated, and half of the rest are without work. I will likely have to follow the emigrees before long. And every day there seems to be a new tax.
    I'm on the dole right and it's a bastard but I get by. The problem is people got used to the "boom" and see it as normal. Barring a (recent) mortgage I fail to see how two people working fulltime could be struggling. Not as well off? Of course, but that still isn't austerity in my book.
    I've worked in the third world. The only difference in quality of life from here is I wasn't running a car there.
    Nice, next time I get a few quid together I might head over for 6 months, I've seen how low prices there are.
    I don't know your position, but it must be nice up there.
    Excellent point. Really well thought-out.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Did you see the latest in moronic posters?[...] Sometimes I despair at the complete abandonment of logic in favour of politics [...]
    Only sometimes? Sheesh, your lucky :)

Here's a poster stuck on a lamppost in Herbert Park during the 2008 Lisbon vote which summed up the "No" side's arguments. Note the ad for a lost cat underneath.

203577.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Or you could say it's inflated by people staying. People leaving isn't deflating the figures, they are what they are.

Done.

I'm on the dole right and it's a bastard but I get by. The problem is people got used to the "boom" and see it as normal. Barring a (recent) mortgage I fail to see how two people working fulltime could be struggling. Not as well off? Of course, but that still isn't austerity in my book.

Nice, next time I get a few quid together I might head over for 6 months, I've seen how low prices there are.

Excellent point. Really well thought-out.

+1

We don't have austerity now, we have taxes and levy's and Slurry pit charges and household taxes and we are still paying a lot less in tax than the rest of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Calibos wrote: »
    +1

We don't have austerity now, we have taxes and levy's and Slurry pit charges and household taxes and we are still paying a lot less in tax than the rest of europe.

I agree that we are still taxed quite lightly compared to many countries.

I think that public dissatisfaction is more to do with the fact that people are having to adjust to a lower standard of living, rather than what that standard of living is. Adjusting for a reduction in pay / extra tax / more expenses is never easy, and I believe it is this adjustment which is causing the middle classes - most of whom are still relatively well off - to feel so angry.

Most people tended to assume that their standard of living would only ever go up, and many were/are spending everything they earned.

There's an old cliche "you don't miss what you never had" which comes to mind ...

* edit * thought I was in a different forum ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's amazing how the media and the population can use a word like "austerity" over and over again - if someone you knew earned 35,000 euro in a year, but borrowed another 20k to allow him to spend 55k in that year, then started to moan about austerity you'd laugh in their face.

Real austerity - ie trying to balance the Irish budget and not need to borrow to pay for all the stuff we want from the money we actually pay would be almost unimaginable. What we currently have is certainly not austerity - it's pretty much business as usual - spending money we don't have.

When you look at it it's shocking - countries continually borrow money - with no intention of ever really paying it back - our borrowing is not like a personal mortgage which eventually gets paid back - it's interest only - and when the term is up we simply borrow the same amount again.

That's not so say sometime we don't balance an annual budget - we do and some good years we mightn't add to the debt - but the debt itself is never paid down - money we borrow has interest paid on it, in all practical terms forever.

This is the international norm - the idea is to inflate the economy so that someday the 18billion or so we borrow this year will be a pittance compared to our GDP - which is a bit like advising your 18 year old son to spend as much as they want while at college as they'll earn good money when they graduate - but when they graduate - continue to tell them to borrow as much as they want because in 5 years time they'll be earning even more - the inevitable results from continuing to follow this policy should be absolutely clear to everyone - we're just about as certain of continual growth in our economy as we were in 2006 about the continuous growth in the property market.

I'd be in favour of Keynesian policies if there wasn't democracy :pac: It would work if when things were going well the state would try to dampen things and keep money aside for the future and use it when things aren't going well to get things going. Unfortunately if given the choice between tax cuts and spending increases and common sense people will rarely choose the latter option.

pH wrote: »
    I
    Real austerity - ie trying to balance the Irish budget and not need to borrow..
    As we are moving in that direction, we have austerity. Maybe not severe austerity, but still austerity.
    Tax increases combined with cuts in services = austerity measures.

Most countries do borrow continuously, but if you look at who lends the money, you find banks and individuals within the same pool of countries. So the indebtedness serves to create a constant flow of wealth from the general taxpayer to the that elite. When they want to squeeze more out of the taxpayers, they enforce more austerity. Its a similar relationship to the old peasant/landlord one. The peasant must always be left with enough to survive, plus a tiny bit extra to give him some motivation, but anything above that can be harvested from him.

What's the alternative when government is taking in around €32 billion in taxes, but spending around €56 billion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

As we are moving in that direction, we have austerity. Maybe not severe austerity, but still austerity.

Which is fine, except we hear a non stop drone about "austerity not working" etc. etc.

We haven't seen anything like austerity yet - we are still living well beyond our mean, and any attempts to either reduce spending or increase the tax take are met with howls of outrage from all quarters.

The point remains that Ireland is 18billion in the hole for 2012, and people with 18 billion don't believe that we could/would ever pay it back - hence they no longer will lend us money - the only people who currently will lend us 18 billion this year to pay for our "non-austerity" are other countries for various political/economic reasons of their own.

The treaty is something I personally welcome, to absolutely once and for all put a stop to national silliness where political parties compete to not just redistribute tax payers money, but also all the money they can borrow as well.

We as a country need to treat national borrowing the same was a prudent individual would, borrowing for large capital projects that make sound sense for the economy/country and having an "overdraft" to assist cash-flow when and if we need it - the rest, the day to day finances need to be pretty much wholly financed from tax revenue. I for one am quite happy that current and future governments of this country are bound by this treaty.

^^ great post.

Ireland may not be in a very good economic position at the moment, but it is a long way off austerity in any meaningful sense of the word.

Talk to someone who lived through WWII, austerity was wondering how to make your ration of food, turf and tea last the week, meat twice a week if you were lucky, making do and mending because new clothes were out of the question. That sort of thing. People living in 'poverty' today are far better off than most working people were then. This country needs a good boot up the collective arse, to be honest.

Life ain't always empty.

robindch wrote: »
    What's the alternative
    pH wrote: »
    Which is fine, except we hear a non stop drone about "austerity not working"
    No alternative, and austerity is working. The books are independently checked by our IMF overseers and the deficit is reducing gradually.
    If we hadn't taken on the banker/bondholder/developer debts on top of the spending deficit, things would be looking a lot better now; we'd have some money for that capital spending on infrastructure, and maybe create a few more jobs, but there you go.
    If the French or Dutch haven't already scuppered the treaty by the end of the month I'll be voting Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

this may sound stupid but I've listened to many arguments for both sides of this treaty and to be honest I think and hope the majority vote no. This is because I dont believe that a yes will really achieve anything and the government are scare mongering. I despise that tactic. Those out there with their No campaign may come across as ignorant but honestly I believe we should vote no. I mean the UK are not taking part and well why should we? In voting No maybe the powers that be will have to concentrate on coming up with a better solution. I dont feel the best thing to do would be to give a great deal of power over ourselves to basically a more powerful company. I am not saying this from an overtly patriotic standpoint.
    I basing my thoughts and personal opinions on the fact that Im 25 and times are not easy for me but there is something worrying about the prospect of a Yes vote and I dont want to imagine what my future would be like if this was the wrong thing to do. I think a No vote simply opens the door to more solution ideas. I feel that we need to take a stance and say No and let the world know that we want the best possible solution we can get as I feel this treaty is not it. I dont believe prospective investors will be put off by the people of Ireland having back bone or strength and I for one would like the country to prove that we cannot be bullied or be yes men to our joke government and the mess they got us into.
    I know many wont agree but its just my opinion

Advertisement