Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive development planned for east of Athlone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

spacetweek wrote: »

Athlone could do with some consolidation. The tiger was not kind to the place, in Google Maps it looks like someone dropped a town from a height.

I think that's the story of most urban areas in Ireland especially where they didn't have large areas of undeveloped land within urban boundary. In which case you get plenty of sprawl. I see Google Earth has improved their coverage of Ireland signifcantly over the last couple months. I wouldn't be surprised if ye start seeing it used in planning meetings in a couple years when people are objecting to development/zoning decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The Google Maps satellite images of Athlone which have only become available recently were probably actually taken a couple of years ago I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

No significant development since then though really.

KevR wrote: »
    The Google Maps satellite images of Athlone which have only become available recently were probably actually taken a couple of years ago I'd say.

September 7th 2007 to be precise. If you look at lower left hand part of image in Google earth it gives the exact date that the image was taken. If you look at Clara you see the image is from March 18, 2009, thence the fully operational section of the M6 visible in that reel of images. Likewise the new higher resolution images of Ballinasloe are from March 1st 2010

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wrong Kong has gone into planning.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/athlone-centre-to-create-1500-jobs-155276.html
    Athlone Business Park Ltd, an Irish company, has submitted its planning application to Westmeath County Council for Phase 1 of the proposed international trade and commerce centre on an overall 137 hectare zoned site.

Phase I to be built on 32 hectares, is costed at €175 million with an estimated 1,500 jobs as well as 1,200 construction jobs.

John Tiernan, chief executive, said the company is promoting Ireland for several reasons, "including our membership of the EU and the fact that we are English-speaking".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i havent read the whole thread but i expect this would coincide with the international airport planned for there as well... maybe a main european hub for asian flights.. also it would make absolute econmical sense if china could fly there parts to ireland...assembled in irsh factorys and shipped to the rest of europe stamped as made in ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

i havent read the whole thread but i expect this would coincide with the international airport planned for there as well...

Get them to pay to conplete the M18 and then they have two international airports within an hour and a halfs drive and motorway the whole way to each.;)

We sold our Wrong Kong out way too cheaply. Look what the Icelandic Wrong Kong project will net their government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14714524
    Huang Nubo is reported to have offered a billion krona (£5.4m: $8.8m) for the 300sq km (155 sq mile) Grimsstadir a Fjollum region.

Critics of the plan fear it could be used by China to gain a strategic foothold in Iceland. But Icelandic officials have welcomed the purchase and the further 20bn krona Mr Huang says he intends to invest.

It was always a pipe dream, even this Icelandic idea sounds like they're smoking some good stuff! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We sold our Wrong Kong out way too cheaply. Look what the Icelandic Wrong Kong project will net their government.
    Bring it on! Where do I sign up for Chinese patronage?
    How much is the Athlone investment worth?

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Bring it on! Where do I sign up for Chinese patronage?
    How much is the Athlone investment worth?
    About 10% of what the land speculators paid for it a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ill believe all this when i see the first sod turned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It looks like something out of Extreme Engineering.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I was having a read of the submissions on the Wrong Kong application (111025 on Westmeath Co Co), and in addition to being surprised as to how many of the objections were submitted on lined notepaper/copybooks, I was taken aback at the opening to An Taisce's submission. Is it really their business (in being a body which is invited to comment on planning apps for presumably heritage reasons) that the proposal "will cost Irish jobs by promoting Chinese exports in Ireland" and is unviable "as a consequence of declining oil production"?

Surely such assertions are the province of the Chambers of Commerce or the IDA or similar? Does An Taisce routinely advance economic argumentation in their responses to planning documents?

An Taisce are clueless gobsh1tes. The person asserting those economic facts is probably a graduate scientist on a work placement. Time we stopped fundiing these sleeveens.

To to Icelandic Wrong Kong project ( cash upfront from China)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0901/1224303293424.html
    ONE OF China’s best-known property developers Huang Nubo, a poet and mountaineer with extensive Communist Party links, is planning to spend €70 million to buy a 300sq km chunk of Iceland to build a luxury eco-tourism project.

But the size and location of the site has sparked fears that perhaps the project could be merely a first step in a geopolitical powerplay that might threaten Iceland’s sovereignty. The piece of land in question is nearly one quarter the size of Hong Kong.

Mr Huang, listed by Forbes magazine as China’s 161st richest person with a net worth of €617 million, has struck a deal with private landowners in Iceland for the tract of land in the Grímsstadir á Fjöllum region, and the luxury development would include an eco-tourism golf resort project, the Financial Times reported.

“We face the fact that a foreign tycoon wants to buy 300 square kilometres of Icelandic land. We have to discuss it and not swallow without chewing; would we find it all right if the entire country were sold this way?” Iceland interior minister Ögmundur Jónasson told the Iceland Review.
    “People are often too quick to accept offers like these,” he said. The deal requires the approval of both China and Iceland.
    No one has anything to fear, insists Mr Huang.

“The project is a purely commercial move and has no connection with politics. The concerns are groundless,” he was quoted saying by China’s official new agency, Xinhua.

A deeply mercantilist nation, China is always looking for ways to expand trade links around the world. Iceland occupies a strategically important location between Europe and North America and could function as a potential hub for Asian cargo should climate change open Arctic waters to shipping.

An entrepreneur, Mr Huang (55) tends to describe himself as a poet, who writes under the pseudonym Luoying, and he is also famous for his mountaineering exploits in China.

He is a high-profile capitalist, and he has a reputation as a philanthropist, but his Communist Party credentials are solid.

Mr Huang is a former propaganda department section chief and has also worked as an administrator at a section of the ministry of construction, one of the agencies responsible for preserving historic sites.

His company, which he established in 1995, manages many of China’s most famous tourist sites, such as Hongchun in Anhui Province and Zhongdian near Tibet in the southwestern province of Yunnan. Zhongkun is also developing projects in Nashville, Tennessee, and in Los Angeles, and also has interests in Japan.

His ambitions in Iceland are well documented. Last year he said he was planning to organise a poetry forum in Reykjavik, and he donated €700,000 to the “China-Iceland Culture Fund”.

Energy is central to the links between China and Iceland at the moment.
    China is the world’s leading investor in alternative energy technologies, and has formed a partnership with Iceland to develop geothermal technologies.
    China’s second biggest oil and gas company, China Petroleum Chemical Corp, has committed to making geothermal one of its main businesses, and has signed a deal with Iceland’s Geysir Green Energy to jointly develop the renewable energy source.

China has been working hard to forge solid financial links with Iceland, which has been struggling since its economy collapsed in 2008 after a banking crisis, which saw three of its major banks collapse within weeks. Iceland is currently struggling under the weight of a bailout by the International Monetary Fund.

Iceland has been desperate to improve its access to foreign currency since then and in June last year, Iceland’s central bank, Sedlabanki, signed a currency swap agreement with China worth 66 billion krona (€400 million).
    Political links appear to be very strong, particularly as Iceland appears to feel that China was speedy in stepping in to help when the economy collapsed.

On RTE six-one news now, planning has just been granted!

Chances of a sod being turned, slim I'd say!

Well that at least means NAMA can look for slightly better price, after all I can't imagine that cutaway bog carries much a premium normally! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Local FF honcho here says this means Tubber airport is going to get the green light.

Chance of runway light turn on, slim also....:D

Application for Maglev from Wrong Kong to Tubber is imminent, door to door via Moate, 5 mins. The Chinese claim to have invented their very own Maglev ( just like they claim to have invented their very own High Speed Train) and wish to demo it in Europe. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭xper

ABP have given the green light:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0501/breaking24.html

An Taisce a bit upset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great to see the Ireland ready to embrace another corrupt, totalitarian regime in the interests of filthy lucre - yet again. Ireland has a strong tradition of putting trade before human rights and our long term interests as anybody old enough to endure the shameful spectacle of our 'leaders' grovelling to the rotten regimes in Iran, Iraq and Libya for the sake of a few head of cattle thoughout the 1980s. Why not sell the Chinese somewhere like Killary Harbour for their imminent naval expansion into the Atlantic while we're at it - sure there would be a few jobs for the construction industry? Maybe Shannon too? :rolleyes: Anyway, I still can't see anything happening down in the foggy, boggy midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Great to see the Ireland ready to embrace another corrupt, totalitarian regime in the interests of filthy lucre - yet again. Ireland has a strong tradition of putting trade before human rights and our long term interests as anybody old enough to endure the shameful spectacle of our 'leaders' grovelling to the rotten regimes in Iran, Iraq and Libya for the sake of a few head of cattle thoughout the 1980s. Why not sell the Chinese somewhere like Killary Harbour for their imminent naval expansion into the Atlantic while we're at it - sure there would be a few jobs for the construction industry? Maybe Shannon too? :rolleyes: Anyway, I still can't see anything happening down in the foggy, boggy midlands.
    How many products do you own or use that are made in China?
    If this project does not go ahead in Ireland it will most likely be built in some other country; so might as well be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Great to see the Ireland ready to embrace another corrupt, totalitarian regime in the interests of filthy lucre - yet again.
    Totally agree. If somebody thinks, that China can bring any good to this island, you are very naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How many products do you own or use that are made in China?
    If this project does not go ahead in Ireland it will most likely be built in some other country; so might as well be here.

As few as possible - thank you. Anyway, what about my suggestion of Chinese naval bases for the West coast? Or perhaps we could short circuit things and just become part of China as they appear to be interested in taking over a lot of EU bank debt too. Great people the Chinese.

rightthere.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

The Irish Asian Hub will be the second man made building on the Planet Earth visible from outer-space. It will second only to The Great Wall of China, although it will appear much smaller and less auspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

dowlingm wrote: »
    I was having a read of the submissions on the Wrong Kong application (111025 on Westmeath Co Co), and in addition to being surprised as to how many of the objections were submitted on lined notepaper/copybooks, I was taken aback at the opening to An Taisce's submission. Is it really their business (in being a body which is invited to comment on planning apps for presumably heritage reasons) that the proposal "will cost Irish jobs by promoting Chinese exports in Ireland" and is unviable "as a consequence of declining oil production"?

Surely such assertions are the province of the Chambers of Commerce or the IDA or similar? Does An Taisce routinely advance economic argumentation in their responses to planning documents?

Sound planning has economic implications as well environmental/heritage. We can see the economic implications of one off housing and now ghost estates on the economy. If the applicant makes references to economics and job creation in their application then there's no reason why An Taisce wouldn't either.

I saw a model of it the other day and I have to say WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Wow ! The Bling Dynasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

when it comes to corruption, I'd say the Chinese would have a fair bit to learn from us!

一个特殊的炒饭和可口可乐

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm sure we could teach the Chinese a thing or two about corruption. Some nonsense being spouted here.

Advertisement