Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Library Information Reel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Limerick City Library

‎*New* Read this fascinating report on the 1817 Election in Limerick City (Electors list inc.)

Cover%20image-511x786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does the city library have WiFi?

Funny you should ask that, as work has begun on installing WiFi in the City Library this morning. We will advertise this new service here on boards.ie as soon as it become operational. We'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Funny you should ask that, as work has begun on installing WiFi in the City Library this morning. We will advertise this new service here on boards.ie as soon as it become operational. We'll keep you posted.

Great stuff!

Next presentation in the history lecture series for 2011-12 :

"The Characters of Limerick"
    an illustrated lecture by
    Denis O'Shaughnessy on Tuesday, 13th December 2011 at 8.00pm

Refreshments will be served & Admission Free

• Advertisement

Free Wifi is now available @ Limerick City Library. The network is called City-Library-Granary

free-wifi.jpg

Follow us on Facebook

‎*Please Note* Storytime with Roisin will not be on this Saturday the 10th of December, it will however resume the following Saturday the 17th of December at 11.00am.

*Christmas Opening Hours*: Limerick City Library will close on Friday the 23rd of December, and will re-open on Tuesday the 3rd of January.

"On behalf of all the staff at Limerick City Library, I would like to wish you all a Happy Christmas & New Year" - City Librarian

christmastreebooks.jpg

Recently%252520Updated3.jpg

booktomoviecomic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I hope Dolores Doyle’s retirement will not undermine the quest for a new central library headquarters.

Article from this week’s Limerick Post.

373676_342969149052194_1414270658_n.jpg

Launch of the Old Limerick Journal Vol. 45, Winter 2011

@ Limerick City Library, tomorrow, Friday the 16th of December, at 7.00pm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm trying to get a hold of the latest edition of "Limerick - a Stroll Down Memory Lane".

I know it sold out in the shops before Christmas. If anyone could point me to a shop that still has one in reserve, or if anyone has a copy they wouldn't mind selling, could they contact me via PM?

It'd be a late present for an avid collector, so it would be very much appreciated! :)

Major local studies resource added to Limerick City Library website

We are delighted to announce the addition to our website of a major new resource - The Field Books of Limerick City and County.

This is a collection of more than 1,700 pages of notes taken by surveyors during the first ordnance survey of County Limerick, c. 1840. They comprise a vast quantity of data on the geography, placenames, antiquities and other miscellaneous information relating to Limerick.

You can see the books in parish by parish alphabetical order or use our interactive map to see the section of the books of particular interest to you.

Major local studies resource added to Limerick City Library website

We are delighted to announce the addition to our website of a major new resource - The Field Books of Limerick City and County.

This is a collection of more than 1,700 pages of notes taken by surveyors during the first ordnance survey of County Limerick, c. 1840. They comprise a vast quantity of data on the geography, placenames, antiquities and other miscellaneous information relating to Limerick.

You can see the books in parish by parish alphabetical order or use our interactive map to see the section of the books of particular interest to you.

The OSI public viewer website would complement your interactive map too. They have modern and historic maps online. By zooming in on Limerick, the (Preview Map Series) legend on the right hand side enables one to select various maps of Limerick at different periods of time, like ….
    • Street Map (beta) = Present day map
    • Historic 25” = 1900 map
    • Historic 6” = 1840 map
    The 1850 Griffith’s Valuation on the “Ask About Ireland” website had an excellent detailed map of every dwelling house in Limerick embedded in their Google map. Alas it’s not showing at the moment.

By the way, your 1829 Freeholders in Limerick City and environs (the County of the City of Limerick) proved an interesting source for me as I found a very useful new lead for my own genealogy research. :)

A Book Club For Adults who like to read and discuss Children's and
    Young Adult's Literature.

First Meeting: 6.00 - 7.30pm, Wednesday 14th March
    Frequency:the second Wednesday of the month

If you are interested in joining this Book Club please Email: maevejtynan@yahoo.com

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4jWdyhKeAyta30JkvfzD-uUNSCEdi9ZShHoI5xzq5NPede6gisQ

Recent coverage in the Irish Times of our online Local Studies resources

391109_281377678583767_118155041572699_727291_2140248908_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Great stuff Limerick Library- ye bring great credit to the city and I for one am a happy customer for many many (too many at this stage) years and I have never underestimated or taken for granted the service ye provide . Thank you.

On a side note - what a brilliant line in that article -

''the well known flaw in the space-time continuum that makes Limerick invisible to the rest of Ireland''

‎*Did you Know?* that we have a uploaded a photo gallery of Kate O'Brien, the acclaimed writer from Limerick City, along with 34 digitised newspaper clippings about her?

Click Here to View

image%2006%20600dpi.jpg

Maybe somebody should inform poor John Grenham that he should have visited the city’s new website instead.

The “Local Studies” is now nicely re-organised under the umbrella of “Historical Resources”.
    • Jim Kemmy Municipal Museum
    • Local Studies
    • City Archives
    Though the “Historical Resources” page could have a more prominent position on the city’s home page, than to position it under the category [More].

Maybe they could squeeze a new category like [History] in between [Visiting] and [Business].

Historical Resources

. . . . . . . . . . .These are useful tools for anyone researching aspects of the history of Limerick and also should prove of interest to the casual reader of Limerick history.

Funnily enough, I often stumble over a lot of interesting material from your local studies site through google than by directly navigating through the Limerick Library site.

In fact, I have found a world of material relevant for my own genealogy research on all three sites.

I would even go so far as to suggest that the term “genealogy research” be included in the introduction text of the “Historical Resources” page.

It could help people like John Grenham to find the hidden gems of Limerick more quickly.

• Advertisement

Here again another addition to the list of books that appeared last year.

The year 2011 will be hard one to match for new publications of local interest.

See previous posts 81 and 84.
    • Pauper Limerick: The Register of the Limerick House of Industry 1774-1793 Dr David Fleming and Dr John Logan
    • Moyross: The Story So Far – Frank Prendergast M.A.
    • Luaithreach Angela (Angela‘s Ashes) Translated by Padraic Breathnach
    • Rugby in Munster: A Social and Cultural History – Liam O’Callaghan
    • Old Limerick Journal No 45 Winter 2011 – Editor
    • Supplier to the Confederacy: Peter Tait & Co. – Craig L. Barry and David C. Burt
    The Limerick Writers Centre has also a list of books with a local interest.

6741663571_a7b1b0af53_z.jpg

Notice: Due to essential maintenance work, our Public Access PC's will not be available for use on Monday the 30th of January. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Limerick City Library
    Evening Lecture Series

"City of the Dead": Mount Saint Lawrence Cemetery since 1855

an illustrated lecture by Dr. Matthew Potter

on Friday the 3rd of February @ 8.00pm

Admission is Free

I wonder did that lecture get videotaped for the history lecture series archive?

It would be nice to see it.

I wonder did that lecture get videotaped for the history lecture series archive?

It would be nice to see it.

Unfortunately due to staffing levels on the night with did not get to record the lecture.

Wondering what life was like in Limerick 100 years ago?
    We proudly point you in the direction of a new twitter account Limerick1912 which will update you everyday on what was happening in Limerick in 1912. Check it now for updates about March 1912.....
    This account is updated by our Local Studies Team.

Please Note: Limerick City Library will be closed on Saturday the 17th March & Monday the 19th of March. The Library will re-open on Tuesday the 20th at 10.00am.

Please Note: The Library will be closed on Friday the 6th of April to Monday the 9th of April, inclusive. The Library will re-open on Tuesday the 10th April at 10.00am.

wguth01.jpg

Musical Workshop: Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads

Date: 25th April, 2012
    Time: 1.00pm to 2.30pm

Musician John Ruan Fitzpatrick explores several songs from Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads. Original recordings will be presented with historical background and consideration of Guthrie's development as a social protest artist.

Free Admission & All are Welcome!

• Advertisement

Limerick City Parishes
    • St. Patrick’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2410)
    • St. John’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2411 + 2412)
    • St. Mary’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2412 + 2413)
    • St. Munchin’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2413 + 2414)
    • St. Michael’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2415 + 2416 + 2417)
    On the genealogy forum, I became aware that the National Library of Ireland in Dublin has parish registers for Limerick City on microfilm.

I wonder does the City Library have copies of them too?

Advertisement