Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e30 316i as first car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Daniel S wrote: »
    I have seen her's and it's pretty much exactly the way I want it. Can't afford her alloys though :pac:

Isn't it Sapphire Black?

Its diamond schwarz and its so hard to keep clean! I got lucky with that car it was everything i ever wanted i was just in the right place at the right time.

I was talking to the seller on the phone about something unrelated and he said he was going to have to sell it and i just asked him how much and we did the deal over the phone. My only advice and the one thing i have learnt is that e30s are adult mechano.

Somebody always has the part you want. You might not buy the perfect car but you can always build the perfect car.

Trust me though my car looks nice far away but there is a lot of working needing to be done on the interior. Seats need to be repaired badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I love the old e30s especially the 325is sports.......I had a316i years ago. My memories were it was asthmatic and the engine sounded like a bag of spanners. Having said that as a first car starting off I'd go for it.....they are very easy to work on and are iconic in their looks......big thumbs up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Manual

Yea, I can wait. I'll be using it from next September, so I have time to get it and repair it.

I have seen her's and it's pretty much exactly the way I want it. Can't afford her alloys though :pac:

Isn't it Sapphire Black?

IMO the only wheels that should be on an E30 are the original 15" BBS cross spokes. Whatever you do, please don't fit a ****e set of 17" Alpina reps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

high horse wrote: »
    IMO the only wheels that should be on an E30 are the original 15" BBS cross spokes. Whatever you do, please don't fit a ****e set of 17" Alpina reps
    Hahaaha! Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of it. If I can't afford decent new BBS, I'll be using an original used set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, have you gotten any quotes? An 18 year old provisional driver probably won't get insured on a RWD 1.6 for anything less than €4000. I have a provisional licence, I'm 32 with 1 year's NCB and am still being quoted €1200 for a 1.8 FWD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Confab wrote: »
    OP, have you gotten any quotes? An 18 year old provisional driver probably won't get insured on a RWD 1.6 for anything less than €4000. I have a provisional licence, I'm 32 with 1 year's NCB and am still being quoted €1200 for a 1.8 FWD.

:eek: jaysus. Get that test sorted confab.

Confab wrote: »
    Look at aviva's deal with the lessons. €400 for 6 months insurance, 13 lessons and up to a 1.6 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jimdagym wrote: »
    :eek: jaysus. Get that test sorted confab.

Yeah, that and getting rid of both cars. Freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Look at aviva's deal with the lessons. €400 for 6 months insurance, 13 lessons and up to a 1.6 litre.

Do you have to sign up to a 12 month contract though? You will pay through the nose for other 6 months.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Do you have to sign up to a 12 month contract though? You will pay through the nose for other 6 months.
    Nope, just a six month contract. I was thinking of getting it, then renewing for another 6 months if I can, then sit my exam a month or so into the second renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Just found this:

WANT NOW!
    ye gods that's clean.
    Have those carpets ever seen shoes, or those seats ever seen arses?
    M-Tech2 Steering wheel is lovely too.

I used to have an E30 318is and loved it.
    Rued the day I ever sold it fo the E36 version.

Will another company take 6 months NCB from AXA?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bmwnew6.jpg

i miss mine :(

bmwnew6.jpg

i miss mine :(
    Very very nice, Alpinas actually suit that car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

high horse wrote: »

car.jpg?t=1242017671

Mine had 15" Mim alloys off an e21 which I liked, mostly because of the low offset, needed lowering but. It was a 316 and I was only 21, it was a good car though, not exactly a rocket but well able to keep up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I walked passed the car cleaning centre in phibsboro and there was a nice little e30 tucked in at the back. He has cars for sale from time to time give them a bell it looked tidy. I was gonna call in and ask about it but i was in a hurry and he looked to be shutting up for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The deal with aviva is 6 months free accompanied learner driver cover, on an existing Aviva private motor policy, when you buy a pack of 10 unrestricted or 13 unrestricted or off peak (completed before 12PM Mon – Fri) lessons and complete at least one lesson.

Someone (with a spare bonus) would have to take out a policy with Aviva and add you to it. The policy or the vehicle can't be in your name.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    The deal with aviva is 6 months free accompanied learner driver cover, on an existing Aviva private motor policy, when you buy a pack of 10 unrestricted or 13 unrestricted or off peak (completed before 12PM Mon – Fri) lessons and complete at least one lesson.

Someone (with a spare bonus) would have to take out a policy with Aviva and add you to it. The policy or the vehicle can't be in your name.
    Ah that's not an issue, I'd almost certainly be doing it/going halves with dad so it will be in his name anyway. I think he already has a policy with Aviva.

Ah that's not an issue, I'd almost certainly be doing it/going halves with dad so it will be in his name anyway. I think he already has a policy with Aviva.

Also check out if Aviva will insure you on a vehicle more the 20 years old. Many insurers wont. I know 123.ie/RSA wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I like the way you're thinking, i.e. E30 as opposed to some sh1tty Almera. ;)

You may already know this but if you spot a 316 (non fuel injected) that you like it has a 1.8 engine as opposed to the 1.6 in the 316i. It won't be any good to you with all this 1.6 lark!

Secondly, coupe or nothing. I would agree with the earlier comment about the BBS too.

First car I bought was an '85 320 coupe. No pics but looked like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeiXeE6Q55QY5w968etIg2O6EtySp_Ibucabb4SfktLaN-32up

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    Also check out if Aviva will insure you on a vehicle more the 20 years old. Many insurers wont. I know 123.ie/RSA wont.
    I've heard of people getting E30's on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

No harm in getting a full quote from Aviva for your own situation before you buy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NK94

Are you sure you can be insured on a 1.6?
    This link says max 1.4 litre (click our assumptions)

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/assumptions-data-protection/#assumptions

Could you please link me to where it says you can be insured on a 1.6 with no experience?

I am in the same position as you with a 4 door 316i :)

NK94 wrote: »
    Are you sure you can be insured on a 1.6?
    This link says max 1.4 litre (click our assumptions)

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/assumptions-data-protection/#assumptions

Could you please link me to where it says you can be insured on a 1.6 with no experience?

I am in the same position as you with a 4 door 316i :)
    Turns out you can't on that deal.

My brother is setting up a business and would I be better off getting a diesel Seat Inca or something? Get commercial insurance and all that?

Turns out you can't on that deal.

My brother is setting up a business and would I be better off getting a diesel Seat Inca or something? Get commercial insurance and all that?

Depends on the insurance company. I could not get insured commercially on a learner permit on a Land Rover. FBD wanted a full license even before I was even added as a named driver on a policy.

Ring around and try other places.

I was thinking, if my dad bought an E30 for the two of us to do up over the summer, could he get it on classic/vintage car insurance and could I be put down as a named driver without being on his main policy? That would mean I could use the car during the day when he's not at home, but with mam or with a friend who has had their license for two years in the car?

Dad said there's no way I'm learning how to drive in his precious RAV4! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't think you're allowed have named drivers on classic/vintage policies, as they have a plethora of conditions. As you have to be over 25? for the policy in the first place, I also doubt they'd allow named drivers under that age.

Also if you're going to be the main driver of the car, do it properly tbh. There's no sense in codding yourself out with this "named driver of parents car" craic.

I was thinking, if my dad bought an E30 for the two of us to do up over the summer, could he get it on classic/vintage car insurance and could I be put down as a named driver without being on his main policy? That would mean I could use the car during the day when he's not at home, but with mam or with a friend who has had their license for two years in the car?

Dad said there's no way I'm learning how to drive in his precious RAV4! :pac:

I don't think that will work sadly, most insurance companies require the named driver to meet the same minimum requirements that the main driver. In the case of classic cars insurance it is 25yo, full licence and (generally, but not always) the use of another car.

I may be wrong on this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't think you're allowed have named drivers on classic/vintage policies, as they have a plethora of conditions. As you have to be over 25? for the policy in the first place, I also doubt they'd allow named drivers under that age.

Also if you're going to be the main driver of the car, do it properly tbh. There's no sense in codding yourself out with this "named driver of parents car" craic.

A friend of mine (21) is a named drivers on his fathers policy and my father has my mother and sister on his.

• Advertisement

Well, I wouldn't be the main driver, he would. I'd only use it for lessons and the test (I could use it right?).

How the hell can someone learn to drive on their own car without spending €6000-ish?

Advertisement