Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuting on road bike with no eyelets ?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I'm honestly sorry to post another which bike thread.

My Giant road bike is no longer with us (RIP). Have been commuting on it for two years and was pretty happy with it. Had a rack and panniers on it together with proper mudguards. The mudguards were really great and kept all the dirt off me. I use the panniers every day for a variety of items but, 90% of the time, not for anything heavy.

I'm looking for a replacement commuter for around the 1k - €1.4 k mark.

The Giant Defy 1 is nicely in that price range and has the eyelets so I can use proper mudguards and panniers.

Alternatively, I'm aware I can get a far better bike for equal or less money (canyon with ultegra - and i can sell the aksiums off that too as I have wheels - the giant has rubbish wheels which wouldn't sell well). Also the cubes are nice. Also trying to price a Bianchi but they seem expensive and have campag groupsets which I'm not too familiar with - also would like to stay with shimano or sram as my good bike has ultegra.

I've rambled enough. I guess my question is - does anyone commute all year round on a road bike which doesn't have eyelets ?? How do you find the mudguards etc ? Are they just clip ons ?? Any use ?? What about those pannier racks that clip onto the seatpost ?? Are they any use ?? Could someone pull the entire rack and panniers off the bike ?? I've seen things like p-clips can be bought etc to jimmy up a sort of pannier rack..

Grateful for any comments.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i use crud roadracer 2 mudguards on a bike with no eyelets. they keep me dry, are full length mudguards. They are good and light and fit very tight clearences. i would recomend them. I also have one of the seat racks, but havent used it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lennymc wrote: »
    i use crud roadracer 2 mudguards
    I use the cruds also. I was a bit sceptical about them prior to fitting them but I'm very impressed with them. Best €40 I've spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I use the cruds also. I was a bit sceptical about them prior to fitting them but I'm very impressed with them. Best €40 I've spent.

+1.

These are a great job. Spend a little time fitting them, great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I also use Cruds. They are great really. Also have a seat post mounted bag and would highly recommend this set up for commuting ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had cruds, but bought a steel frame with eyelets for my commuter.
    The cruds work, but the "proper" ones are just sturdier. Now I wouldn't commute without a rack for panniers if carrying any luggage.
    My soma with sram rival was quite close to the OP's budget. And when building a frame up, you can use your own wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks for all those replies. Great to get the info.

Sounds very positive so, think I'll buy based on the spec and the bike I want rather than going for something I don't really want just because it has the eyelets.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Idleater wrote: »
    I had cruds, but bought a steel frame with eyelets for my commuter.
    The cruds work, but the "proper" ones are just sturdier. Now I wouldn't commute without a rack for panniers if carrying any luggage.
    My soma with sram rival was quite close to the OP's budget. And when building a frame up, you can use your own wheels.

That soma of yours is lovely.

I actually met a guy with the same frame along the canal a few months back and blurted out "are you idleater?"

Cue blank stare.

If I had the budget for a commuter, actually any bike in addition to the one currently on order, it'd be one of those!

Now I wouldn't commute without a rack for panniers if carrying any luggage.

me either. hence the questions about the clip on racks.

ps - soma. google tells me:

1) a plant used in rituals;

2) a radio station;

3) some kind of funny pills;

4) intimate perfectly fitting women's lingerie.

Now, in light of the lad who has been looking for you along the canal, tell me your 'soma' is number 4 ??! It cant be something as mundane as bicycle frame ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

Now I wouldn't commute without a rack for panniers if carrying any luggage.

me either. hence the questions about the clip on racks.

ps - soma. google tells me:

1) a plant used in rituals;

2) a radio station;

3) some kind of funny pills;

4) intimate perfectly fitting women's lingerie.

Now, in light of the lad who has been looking for you along the canal, tell me your 'soma' is number 4 ??! It cant be something as mundane as bicycle frame ?!

Those soma frames are anything but mundane!!

• Advertisement

G rock wrote: »

I was only messing G-Rock. I googled soma but did not find the frames. Haven't heard of them. Have you got a link ? I meant mundane in the sense of the results that google threw up for Soma !

mp31 wrote: »

Thanks Mp31. That is a good 400 euro over budget (at the max end too) - it is 800 over the starting point of my budget. It also has a fair deal of tiagra components. Also I think I'd prefer alluminium for commuting (not sure why but in my head it is more sturdy or something ??? - I have a carbon bike as my 'good' bike). Thanks very much though - throws up other options with mudguards etc:)

ps - MP31 - if i had 1800 to spend I think i'd go a cannondale caad 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I was only messing G-Rock. I googled soma but did not find the frames. Haven't heard of them. Have you got a link ? I meant mundane in the sense of the results that google threw up for Soma !

Your google fu must be broken. I found it easily.

You would find an excellent bob Jackson or a mercian for that money. A king of mercia would be a nice choice imo if you like the retro steel look

I was only messing G-Rock!

Me too!

Think they're an american company, but staggs in lucan do them.

Google soma smoothie (that sounds like it should fit in with the intimate apparel though!) Or soma ES, I think they're the ones I was looking at on net before

BX 19 wrote: »

You would find an excellent bob Jackson or a mercian for that money. A king of mercia would be a nice choice imo if you like the retro steel look

are you talking about frame only ?? I should say I am looking for a complete bike for around 1200 euro ideally - and can push it out to possibly 1400 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

Had the exact same issue, bought a second hand boardman Team with SRAM rival for 530. As new I might add. Stuck a set of SKS full raceblade mudguards and a set of magicshines.

Out for €700 with a very light winter trainer kitted out.

Next step is to change the frame for a secondhand carbon.

Have to say the soma smoothie looks like a great frame but don't get hung up on the full mudguard thing, the new raceblades are excellent.

BX 19 wrote: »

are you talking about frame only ?? I should say I am looking for a complete bike for around 1200 euro ideally - and can push it out to possibly 1400 or so.

Second hand mercian at that money.

However look at this crowd. By all accounts they make good bicycles

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/bikes/touring/hewitt-touring-frames/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I got my soma (http://touch.boards.ie/thread/138864?page=275) built in Stagg Cycles all right and they are "common " now - last I heard was over 10, with at least two other white road sport like mine :-) The red colour is lovely, and the green es is nice too.
    I'm the village side of lucan and rarely go along the canal, so that must be a different soma owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

FWIW - I used to commute with a rucksack and the clip on blade type mudguards. The back one worked well and the front was ok - you'd still need those overshoe things on a wet day/wet road. The rucksack was fine for a change of clothes or maybe a laptop plus clothes - clearly not as good as panniers and you sweat a bit in the summer.

With the current bike I can't fit even a blade to the front. I should say that we have good shower facilities at work so getting a bit wet or dirty is not much of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this about value for money?

For a commuting-specific bike I would rather have (say) full mudguards and Tiagra than no mudguards and Ultegra, and I also don't see the point in any sort of clip-on mudguards on a commuting specific bike - they're designed for making a race bike bearable in the winter, when that's the only bike you have. There's also the cost of replacing high end components when they've been destroyed by winter grit.

Being the uberfred that I am, I regularly commute on race bikes, but when it's raining I retreat back to my fully mudguarded plodder. Changing into wet lycra and putting on wet shoes at the end of the day is horrible.

Basically I reckon a commuter bike is the one case where a Canyon makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Instead of a beam type rack, a Carradice SQR bag http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour might also be an option depending on what you need to carry. I'm not sure how compatible they are with carbon seatposts though.

Instead of a beam type rack, a Carradice SQR bag http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour might also be an option depending on what you need to carry. I'm not sure how compatible they are with carbon seatposts though.
    That is the one I use and I would recommend it.

Lumen wrote: »
    Is this about value for money?.............................................Basically I reckon a commuter bike is the one case where a Canyon makes no sense.

Thanks Lumen.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. My sensible side agrees with you 100%. On the other hand... I'm thinking I can buy the Canyon with 105 for a grand - sell the aksiums and tyres on here for 150 lets say - so that means I have my new bike for 850 (plus delivery). The Giant Defy 1 is of a lower spec and I wont be able to sell the wheels. So its 1200 outlay. I guess I just wanted to hear people's opinions on how manageable it is to commute on a road bike without proper mudguards. I don't have a very long commute - only about 5 miles each way - but I do cycle all year round and I don't want a bag on my back - has to be some kind of pannier/rack set up.

Thanks Lumen.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. My sensible side agrees with you 100%. On the other hand... I'm thinking I can buy the Canyon with 105 for a grand - sell the aksiums and tyres on here for 150 lets say - so that means I have my new bike for 850 (plus delivery). The Giant Defy 1 is of a lower spec and I wont be able to sell the wheels. So its 1200 outlay. I guess I just wanted to hear people's opinions on how manageable it is to commute on a road bike without proper mudguards. I don't have a very long commute - only about 5 miles each way - but I do cycle all year round and I don't want a bag on my back - has to be some kind of pannier/rack set up.
    Go with your heart, life is too short not to ride a nice bike ;).

Here is my own commuter with mudguards and 105 components, which I soon got them replaced with Sram Rival and Mavic Ksyruim Equipe wheels. I also fitted a compact handlebars and a Fizik Arione CX saddle.
    I now use the Carradice saddle bag (not on the photo).

6245772519_d689e838e5_z.jpg

Thanks Seweryn.

Love those CAAD 10s. Are those mudguards on eyelets or are they the type I could get on a canyon say ? They look pretty solid.

The CAAD 10 is just outside my budget. When you bought it, did you consider the 8.5 etc ? I think if I bought the lower version, every time someone cycled past on the 10 a little part of me inside would die !!

Do you have any photo with the big bag on the back ?? I'm carrying basically a shirt, tie, underwear, trousers, lunch box, maybe litre of milk or that type of thing, some fruit etc - sometimes drop into shops in town and pick up a few bits for dinner to bring home.... I think its really panniers I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

My commuter in full commute mode. The rack carries up to 9kg.

100_0408.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    Is this about value for money?

For a commuting-specific bike I would rather have (say) full mudguards and Tiagra than no mudguards and Ultegra, and I also don't see the point in any sort of clip-on mudguards on a commuting specific bike - they're designed for making a race bike bearable in the winter, when that's the only bike you have. There's also the cost of replacing high end components when they've been destroyed by winter grit.

Being the uberfred that I am, I regularly commute on race bikes, but when it's raining I retreat back to my fully mudguarded plodder. Changing into wet lycra and putting on wet shoes at the end of the day is horrible.

Basically I reckon a commuter bike is the one case where a Canyon makes no sense.

I'm going to agree there. Anyone who says clip on mudguards and says there good has not tried full length proper mudguards with a flap on the end. Feet remain dry no matter the weather.

Another advantage of full length mudguards is that they keep the drivetrain free of road grime and salt, prolonging the lifespan of your chain, cassette and headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

I'm carrying basically a shirt, tie, underwear, trousers, lunch box, maybe litre of milk or that type of thing, some fruit etc - sometimes drop into shops in town and pick up a few bits for dinner to bring home.... I think its really panniers I need.

The capacity of the Carradice is 16 litres but if you want extra space for shopping etc you could look at the Topeak trunk bags with "panniers" that expand out of the side pockets of the bag. There is also a beam rack with side panels to stop the panniers going into the wheel. The bag slots into rails on the top of the rack and locks with a clip. Unfortunately Chain Reaction is blocked at work so I can't link but have a search yourself. Possible downsides are the carbon seapost issue again and also I'm not sure how waterproof the panniers would be.

I have the trunk bag (without expanding panniers) on a conventional Topeak rack and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Seweryn.

Love those CAAD 10s. Are those mudguards on eyelets or are they the type I could get on a canyon say ? They look pretty solid.
    There are no eyelets on CAAD10, so you can fit these mudguards into any bike.
    The CAAD 10 is just outside my budget. When you bought it, did you consider the 8.5 etc ? I think if I bought the lower version, every time someone cycled past on the 10 a little part of me inside would die !!
    Yes, I did consider CAAD8, CAAD9, CAAD5 and 7. However, there were few factors that made my decision towards the new CAAD10 and some of them were as you described above ;).
    I would probably get a CAAD5 - CAAD9 second hand, but at the time I could not find any decent example in my size and I was searching for them for over a month.
    Do you have any photo with the big bag on the back ?? I'm carrying basically a shirt, tie, underwear, trousers, lunch box, maybe litre of milk or that type of thing, some fruit etc - sometimes drop into shops in town and pick up a few bits for dinner to bring home.... I think its really panniers I need.
    I do not have any photo with the commuters bag, but I can take one and I will post here later this evening or tomorrow.
    In the bag I carry a spare tube, tools, pump, head band, hat, gloves, keys, cable to charge the lights batteries, emergency Mars bar, glasses, a pair of socks, lunch box, working clothes, some shoppings (bread, butter, etc. as needed), Cycling Magazine, etc.
    The biggest advantage in the bag I see is that it does not disturb your aerodynamics, you have nothing on your back (no sweating, no extra weight at your back) and is comfortable enough, so I do not even take it off anymore if I go for a spin at the weekend. But is very easily detachable, if you need to take it off.

Advertisement