Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We put a man on the moon?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

By the way the Russians are heading to the moon.... Hoping to have a man there by 2030.

Are they getting a bus?

That would be 60 years after the americans first done it??
    There wasn't never no man on the god damn moon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

rgmmg wrote: »
    I was wondering why folk called you a space cadet alright ;)

i use a stargate i have in my living room but shhhhh don't tell the yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Are they getting a bus?

These things take a lot of planning. There are reputations to uphold (and in the Russians case make better).

In any case, I can't recall hearing that they are actually planning this but if they are, it won't be a get there and plant a flag mission. It will definitely have development in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

It may be the drink talking but how the fook did we manage to put a mere ordinary man on the moon.The technology and physics etc is just mindblowing to me.
    Just makes you feel good to be honest and believe you can do and achieve anything and nothing is impossible.

It's all like flying in the sky and sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

It may be the drink talking but how the fook did we manage to put a mere ordinary man on the moon.The technology and physics etc is just mindblowing to me.
    Just makes you feel good to be honest and believe you can do and achieve anything and nothing is impossible.

The revenue/irish government will soon quash those dreams of yours!

Now back to work. Bondholders need paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wdwoods

44leto wrote: »
    Ohh right I think I may have been at the USA amazon.

There are two editions of 'How Apollo Flew to the Moon'. As its author, I'm bound to recommend the newer edition. It's more expensive but it is 25% thicker and is much more the book I originally intended. W. David Woods

wdwoods wrote: »
    There are two editions of 'How Apollo Flew to the Moon'. As its author, I'm bound to recommend the newer edition. It's more expensive but it is 25% thicker and is much more the book I originally intended. W. David Woods

Haha I dunno what to make of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

shizz wrote: »

Haha I dunno what to make of this?

Perhaps a large paper rocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Andrex is cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/musk_mars_colonization/
    SpaceX boss Elon Musk has said that later this year or in early 2013 he will announce a plan to offer flights to Mars and back for half a million dollars, hopefully within the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Goes on to explain the need for water to act as a barrier. Not aluminium. 'Cause that would fry people like.

Water acts as a better barrier to radiation what more can you take out of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water acts as a better barrier to radiation what more can you take out of it?
    to some types of radiation

to some types of radiation

Yeah I know, Just wondering why squod was using sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Going to mars? To what point and purpose?

Isn't that money better spent on fixing stuff on this planet.

Yes it would be impressive but seems pointless to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

We'll have to move out of earth eventually. If someone said I don't see the point in moving on from donkey and cart where would we be. This planet is fooked anyways... might as well find somewhere else to screw up as well.

From Yes Minister (The National Education Service First airtime BBC: 21 January 1988)

Jim Hacker: "Math has become politicized: If it costs 5 billion pounds a year to maintain Britain's nuclear defences and 75 pounds a year to feed a starving African child, how many African children can be saved from starvation if the Ministry of Defence abandoned nuclear weapons?"
    Sir Humphrey: "That's easy: none. They'd spend it all on conventional weapons."

The point is that that money would never be spent fixing stuff on this planet, it would go to Homeland Security or the NSA or

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

"what's the point in getting down out of this tree, it's perfectly fine up here" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Is it true the spacesuits worn by Buzz are still on display in some meseum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

squod wrote: »
    Ray Mears could have got there by himself

Alf from Home & Away???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Are they getting a bus?

Actually 12 men walked on the moon. deal with it.
    These things take a lot of planning. There are reputations to uphold (and in the Russians case make better).

In any case, I can't recall hearing that they are actually planning this but if they are, it won't be a get there and plant a flag mission. It will definitely have development in mind.

here's the linky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jarren wrote: »

So much wrong.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The physics was pretty basic.
    The engineering was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

chin_grin wrote: »
    And why hasn't it been done again eh?

It has been done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

We put a man on the moon?

Now the REM song is stuck in my head, and yours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Actually 12 men walked on the moon. deal with it.

I just don't buy it.
    It would be an absolutely enormous undertaking today. I just don't believe it was doable in the 60's, when calculators were still the stuff of sci fi films. I still haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise, and the russians saying they'll do in 18 years time, doesn't make those doubts any smaller!
    Now the REM song is stuck in my head, and yours too.

Good tune though!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So for all the people who don't believe the moon landings happened, where exactly did the rockets go when they were meant to be on their way to the moon? Do you think they just stayed in orbit for a few days before sending the astronauts back to earth?

Advertisement