Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your favourite toy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

An old board game called Hero Quest, it started me on unfortunate road towards table top strategy and role playing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

An old board game called Hero Quest, it started me on unfortunate road towards table top strategy and role playing games.

There there

we all did it at one point or another besides even tho war hammer 40k was a little nerdy the sheer story telling behind it was damm awesome... :cool:

Snowie wrote: »
    There there

we all did it at one point or another besides even tho war hammer 40k was a little nerdy the sheer story telling behind it was damm awesome... :cool:

It wasn't a little nerdy, it was super nerdy. I spent most of my teenage years trapped between being a nerd and a jock, my nerd friends mocked me for playing sports, my team mates mocked my nerdish ways.

Now everyone wants to be a nerdish jock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

A metal toy gun with caps for sound effects. :pac: Everyone had them and we ran all over the park playing soldiers, cops and robbers and cowboys and indians. Not very PC today.

Lego was excellent and so easy to expand, but we never advanced to the technical stuff.

Best of all was a leather football, I got it for £7 in 1984 in Hamleys in London when we went there on holidays, serious amount of money in those days but it was a quality item. £10 spending money for 10 days, and 7 went on the ball. Had it for nearly 15 years until it literally fell apart, the dog used it for another 10, my mother threw it out a couple of years ago. Epic toy.

I'd have to say, for me, it was this game called Striker. It then became SuperStriker.:rolleyes:

It was like Subbuteo but much better. You positioned your players on the pitch ala Subbuteo, but then you hit him on the head and he would kick the ball.

Can't believe it's still not around. There was definitely a business in just replacing broken players.

We pressed on their heads too hard.:o:pac:

Super game.

Still lost 3-1 to Argentina in the '78 world cup final though.:mad:

So AHers, any toys that have been a part of you?

Striker was the one where you had to set up the fiddly "wall" around the pitch, Superstriker came with a moulded wall. Excellent game, way better than fussy Subbuteo, we still have the pitch 30 years on but it's missing everything else. The goalie could be a makeshift gun as well which was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I spent countless hours waging battles with my vast collection of G.I. Joe Figures. I'd a large number of vehicles as well as the guys with cable sliding backpacks. So I'd have lines of thread criss crossing my room.

Besides that though I remember having great fun playing this game which upon google I've now discovered to be titled Crossbows and Catapults, these elastic powered catapults were hours of fun smashing up the provided bricks and other Lego built structures. Close up of the weapons.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a little nerdy, it was super nerdy. I spent most of my teenage years trapped between being a nerd and a jock, my nerd friends mocked me for playing sports, my team mates mocked my nerdish ways.

Now everyone wants to be a nerdish jock.

i dnt see that as a bad thing it was your teens your supposed to be confused :pac:

I really enjoyed the painting side of it apposed the argument over half a millimeter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Plastic soccer ball. We played so much in the street it wore down. Then we all chipped in and bought another. And another.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pache

THE "RABBIT"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

lego, mechano and scaletrix,

always remember thinking i was great taking the mechano battery pack and wireing it into the scaletrix cars so theyd run around without having to set-up that stupid track:D

got loads of train track lego off my uncles that they had for years, had great fun with it, untill i ended up losing so much of it over the years, now i cant pass it onto my nephew (still have loads of other lego stuff ive already givin him), also had a class electric train (lego one), the battery pack was like a coal carage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Subbuteo.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I loved Polly Pocket. She was a legend, I had a house, farm, tree house and even a church for her (the grandparents gave me that one).

The Polly of today is less cool than in the 90s. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Lego. It was really the only toy I ever wanted as a kid.:):) I've given a lot away to a friend's kid and some to my nephew - but he's not really into Lego.

Apparently it's now seen as acceptable to "collect" Lego as an adult. Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I hear you. Gateway drug, Heroquest. It all ends up with an appearance on the 'serious talk' section of the Late Late Show. "I started on the aul d6, Gay, but I needed de hoigher nummers... d8, d12, d20, it all fell apart."

My favourite toys were Transformers, the excitement at unpacking them was unreal. Engine-master ones were great. I loved M.A.S.K. vehicles too.

Snowie wrote: »
    i dnt see that as a bad thing it was your teens your supposed to be confused :pac:

I really enjoyed the painting side of it apposed the argument over half a millimeter :D

Absolute, the painting was wicked, then they brought out that modeling putty stuff and that was the end of me having a normal life.

Absolute, the painting was wicked, then they brought out that modeling putty stuff and that was the end of me having a normal life.

have you seen what 40k fans have these days ships actual ships!! :cool:

never got into the modeling putty stuff my self i was just a painter,

i did like my Imperial Tallarn Desert Raiders tho i thought they were pretty cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Stuff that allowed me to be creative mostly, Lego was fine but restrictive as I never had a huge amount of it.

I used to like DiY racing tracks, they weren't brand name (again hot wheels was too restrictive), just plastic strips of tracks, junctions etc that you could clip in however you liked to make whatever kind of track you like.

Used to combine those with random stuff around the house, old supermarket till cylinder rolls my sister used to have to partition the tracks. I took a lot of inspiration off Mario Kart to make ramps, obstacles and such to race my cars around and play pretend that it was an actual race using imaginative weaponry etc. :)

Did something similar with wrestling rings and figures where I'd have Hulk Hogan in a royal rumble with half the turtles, some x-men etc. Basically I didn't like toys that did everything for me, I liked tools to make up my own warped games. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

A book of lino samples.

Haha, glad I wasn't the only one then. I used to have a book of wallpaper samples too. Oh and some long thin carpet samples that I used to make into snakes or draft excluders.
    18" double ended black dildo.

I had a awful childhood.

who got on the other end???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

A revolver that Father gave me to chase the peasants with.

Jolly good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

GI Joe/Star Wars action figures, Commodore 64, my Tango 1990 WC football and of course, Lego! :)

Typical boy really. Nothing new here!

Totally forgot about this!

EPIC game! Remember playing it for hours and hours on end! The add ons were cool too!

Also, there was a 'futurisitic' type game like Hero Quest called Space Command (I think?). That was brilliant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Love Barbie! She was so much more elegant that Cindy. Had a big bag of about 6 dolls and piles of clothes for them. Home was always a cardboard box. Still in the attic I think.
    Never like Ken though...he was too smarmy looking; used to borrow my brother's Action Man instead!:p

Had Polly Pocket too. Loved the castle one. It had a working light and fancy staircase. Aw memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Johnson

Atari Jaguar

Lego, Stickle Bricks and building Model Cars.

But...but...you're a girl!?! :pac:

Bad Panda wrote: »

But...but...you're a girl!?! :pac:

:eek:
    *Checks for boobs*
    Yes, it's true! I'm a girl!

Stickle bricks= drueling :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why are adults talking about 'playing with toys' in the past tense? Plenty of adult play with toys frequently, and a lot of them are far better then the stuff we had as a child, i.e:

Ps3/XBox/PCs
    Cars
    RC cars/planes
    General technology
    Alcohol

It's stupid to say 'I used to play with toys' because we still do. Women don't do that for some reason though.

Advertisement