Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your favourite toy?

Options
  • 24-03-2012 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I'd have to say, for me, it was this game called Striker. It then became SuperStriker.:rolleyes:

It was like Subbuteo but much better. You positioned your players on the pitch ala Subbuteo, but then you hit him on the head and he would kick the ball.

Can't believe it's still not around. There was definitely a business in just replacing broken players.

We pressed on their heads too hard.:o:pac:

Super game.

Still lost 3-1 to Argentina in the '78 world cup final though.:mad:

So AHers, any toys that have been a part of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Lego. Infinite fun to be had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

mackg wrote: »
    Lego. Infinite fun to be had with it.

Agreed.

Lego was fookin' magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

A Doctors set I got for Christmas one year has to rank high, I was forever running my own surgery or vet practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If you didn't wake up with a hard on, on Christmas morning in our house you had nothing to play with:mad:

All you rich kids with your 'toys' bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Car carpet city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Etch-a-sketch and fuzzy felts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Mine was also Lego and it is still going strong, a lot of my nephs got "Technical Lego" I found myself on Xmas morning assembling the various kits. One set actually had pneumatics as in a tiny compressor to move various parts, now that is impressive.

But I remember reading the best toy a child could have and it was put into the toy hall of fame was the humble cardboard box. I bet we all have fond memories of hours of fun with a cardboard box, I know I did, it was a car, a castle, a house, loads of things. The difference with modern toys and that includes lego technics is all the child's imagination is done for them. I am not so sure if that is good for their development.

Edit, I use to have hours of fun with toy soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Lego and a collection of farm stuff I had.
    The great thing is the Lego could go along with most other toys which was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My flesh li.....

Lego, its great isn't it :D

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    A Doctors set I got for Christmas one year has to rank high, I was forever running everyone's pulse and temperature.my own surgery or vet practice.

FYP?

• Advertisement

When I was a teen, but still a boy, I discovered a delightful new toy, even though I abused it, I never got bored of it. Even as an adult I still play with it. This toy really does develop your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Model cars and airplanes . Dinky toys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Transformers. Wreck-Gar, Cyclonus, Scourge and Rodimus Prime were some of my favourites. These were originally from Transformers The Movie (the 1986 animated film, not the CGI crap that came out a few years ago).

Rodimus Prime was originally called Hot Rod and transformed into a car. After Optimus Prime was killed, Hot Rod became the leader of the Autobots and was given a new awkward sounding name and transformed into a new awkward, strange looking car/truck thing. Despite his awkwardness I liked the toy although I wasn't too fond of the character.

There were Transformers that I liked just as much or even more but I never owned any of them. I recall it being virtually impossible to get Optimus Prime in Ireland.

When I was about twelve I went to England and got loads of Transformers that I couldn't get in Ireland. I remember one of them transformed into six different things. He was unfortunately named a 'six changer'.

Sadly this trip to England preceded me 'growing out' of toys a few months later so I never really enjoyed them as much as I would have a couple of years earlier.

I held onto my Transformers and was going to give them to my nephews when they got old enough to appreciate them. Unfortunately my sister decided to go into my room one day and get all my Transformers and Masters Of The Universe toys and gave them to my two nephews. They were about four or five years old at the time. They proceeded to destroy pretty much every toy they had been given. At the time I felt like killing my sister over this. I still feel like killing her to be honest. I had kept these toys in great condition and they would probably be worth a fortune now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

A book of lino samples.

44leto wrote: »
    When I was a teen, but still a boy, I discovered a delightful new toy, even though I abused it, I never got bored of it. Even as an adult I still play with it. This toy really does develop your imagination.

Is it perfection? Is it Simon? Is it Buckaroo?...It's Buckaroo isn't it?

No, y'loser. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

kids size bike, good one too ( not the usual break after 2 days of use ) i remember fondly cycling for atleast a year on it having all sorts of adventures and such over what must of been about 5 miles sq. worth of dublin....

ahhh memorys.

This.

I'm almost certain it's still somewhere in our attic.

D'ya know what was great? Meccano.

It was like lego, but for engineers. You got a couple of spanners (yes me and my friend), a wrench, two screwdrivers, and a hammer.

A set of instructions.

It was better than Airfix, and you didn't get glue in your hair.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my bike was my best toy..... or lego :D

• Advertisement

Is it perfection? Is it Simon? Is it Buckaroo?...It's Buckaroo isn't it?

No, y'loser. Try again.
    Close
    But none of them, its a joystick user interface first person shooter game, there are good online facilities, but they not really necessary, it can be very addictive and you play far to much when you first discover it, but batteries ware with age:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

18" double ended black dildo.

I had a awful childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Barbie!

Not as bad "role model" as eejits make out. :rolleyes:

Of course her proportions were off, she was a fúcking toy! She was elegant and dainty. Much better than Sindi or the Bratz dolls that subsequent generations embraced. Happily, Barbie sales have surged in recent years following years of decline.

My friends and I would spend hours making our own Barbie houses and furniture out of cereal boxes with books as walls as we were too poor to have them bought for us. First world problems, eh? ;)

I also loved Lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Scalextric or Subbuteo.
    Lego was immense too.

18" double ended black dildo.

I had a awful childhood.

I don't see what was awful about that,,Jealous much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My box of Lego. Endless entertainment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Glad to see Lego get so many thumbs up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Claire , she was 14 and I was 13,she lived next door to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

My parents had a cheeky little scheme that worked wonders for them.
    Knowing that little Fortune Chip would be up at 6am trying to wake them up to give him presents, they'd always leave some minor present in our rooms on Christmas morning to keep us entertained until they actually wanted to get out of bed.
    It was usually the best present of the lot, some little gadget like a yo-yo or handheld video game.
    I reckon they regret the time they gave me a tin whistle though! Defeated the whole purpose!

So Yo-Yo's. They were beast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

A book of lino samples.

Awwww, did you have a favourite colour? :(

I never played Lego - ever. Seems I am in the minority.

One year for Christmas I got this:

http://www.heimcomputer.de/tele/gwdonkeykong.html

We never had much money so it was such a big thing. I actually wouldn't mind playing it again. Those games were great fun. Can you still get them?

Advertisement