Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness tastes like swill: Discuss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Seaneh wrote: »
    As stated before, the two part pour today is a marketing gimmick, not a requirement.

Very sorry to hear you say this, it says a lot about you and the subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

gbee wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear you say this, it says a lot about you and the subject matter.

As Gxxx drinker I kind of agree, I once asked the barman for science reasons just pour a round like an ordinary beer, all agreed there was no difference.

Admittingly that particular gxxx was good, you could tell the lines were just done and there was a distinct fresh taste of the pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gbee wrote: »

the reason the two part pour was invented was, as stated earlier in this thread, because when guinness was served from casks they would draw from the old cask and then top up with a new cask.

These days all it does is allows the head to round out over the glass. It does nothing for the taste, it's not ****ing magic ffs, it doesn't change anything physically of chemically in the beer, it just looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Personally its always been my favourite alcoholic beverage, I never went through that period of acquiring a taste for it, I liked it from the the beginning. About once every couple of years or so my father and I make the pilgrimage to St James Gate, Mecca for disciples of the black stuff. There's nothing quite like sitting up in the gravity bar with a cold creamy pint of plain in the hand. God bless Arthur Guinness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Personally its always been my favourite alcoholic beverage, I never went through that period of acquiring a taste for it, I liked it from the the beginning. About once every couple of years or so my father and I make the pilgrimage to St James Gate, Mecca for disciples of the black stuff. There's nothing quite like sitting up in the gravity bar with a cold creamy pint of plain in the hand. God bless Arthur Guinness!

You should further that pilgrimage down to the porter house for a far superior pint of Plain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The pint in the gravity bar is sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Regardless of whether you like Guinness or not, you have to appreciate their quality service. You see those vans driving pretty much everywhere.
    You wouldn't say that if you saw what they're doing. They're not some sort of inspectors enforcing Diageo's high standards on pubs, all they do is maintain and clean the lines. Plus they also service the Budweiser, Carlsberg and whatever other muck Diageo supply on draught, beer lines. Given the ridiculous number of pubs in this country and that the lines have to cleaned every couple of weeks, that's why you see so many of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

On a bench or hedge down the park. Bottle of Spirits from the iron monger or pharmacy. Two part pour that down your neck :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd my first pint of Guinness ever in The Store House, on Paddy's Day, last Saturday.

I was suitably impressed.

RichieC wrote: »
    You should further that pilgrimage down to the porter house for a far superior pint of Plain.

I find these days they have nailed the consistency, gxxx use to be very inconsistent and it truly did differ from place to place.

This thread is giving me a fearsome thirst,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I'm a guinness man myself. Nothing better than heading down to the local for pint of the black stuff

I struggle to drink more than 4 or 5 pints of lager, too much fizz makes me bloat out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

what i find funny about guinness is the fact that the dearest place in the world to buy it is dublin, go to prague and local beers are as cheap as 50c in bars, go to bavaria and weissbier is €2 for a bottle in some bars, go to tenerife and dorada (the local beer) is 40 cents in supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Love a guinness myself but as others have said I needed four or five nights on it before I truly appreciated it.

Anyone ever drink it in Tuam? Whatever it is down there the stout lovely no matter what pub you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I love a pint of Guinness with a shot of Tia Maria fecked into it. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

3 of those is my limit though - weird shit happens if I drink a 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what i find funny about guinness is the fact that the dearest place in the world to buy it is dublin, go to prague and local beers are as cheap as 50c in bars, go to bavaria and weissbier is €2 for a bottle in some bars, go to tenerife and dorada (the local beer) is 40 cents in supermarkets

Go to Sydney. Nothing is cheap there. A pint in a pub around Rocks can cost as much as $10.

Auckland and Wellington on the North Island of NZ are pretty expensive as well.

Also got a pint in Koh Phangan, Thailand. Cost me about around €8, local beer cost €1, but didn't mind paying for it. The owner of the bar was English and knew how to look after and serve his beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I will drink anything apart from Guinness. I like cider, beer, cocktails, anything. For some reason I just cannot stand the taste of Guinness.

Also who wants to wait an extra 119 seconds for it to mature or whatever it is.
    It's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A great pint of Guinness just cannot be beaten. Unfortunately, it is becoming an ever increasing rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I believe Guinness is generally served too cold in most pubs - especially those catering to younger folk. When you serve a drink cold it pretty much kills the flavour. In the case of Guinness, all that's left is bitterness and the other subtle flavours are numbed out.

Old man pubs have nice guinness because old men (generally) hate freezing cold beer. Also old man pubs have old crap cooler that don;t work very well, giving a warmer pint.

Guinness should be served (in my opinion) around 10 degrees C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...that "super cold" idea was never a good one.

I can't drink stout any more due to diabetes....ye get the most abysmal poxy hangover after feck all drink - the kind you'd get off too much wine, rather than beer.

I miss stout......lovely, lovely stout.......

Nodin wrote: »
    ...that "super cold" idea was never a good one..

It works for Budweiser though, where not being able to taste it is an advantage....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Guinness is spelt remarkably like genius.

Genius juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

A great pint of Guinness just cannot be beaten. Unfortunately, it is becoming an ever increasing rarity.

I agree. However, there are plenty of fine establishments that still know what they are doing

I was watching "Megafactories" on Nat Geog and it was an hour long advertisement for the nectar, but it was very interesting as well. It is brewed in 50 countries and one of its most important markets is believe it or not Africa mainly Nigeria.

I think it ironic that it is known as an Irish brand, it isn't its headquarters are in London since 1932 and it is quoted on the British stock exchange. It was bought by Diageo 1997.

So Obama or the Queen should really be brought to the Murphy's brewery which is still Irish.

44leto wrote: »
    So Obama or the Queen should really be brought to the Murphy's brewery which is still Irish.

Even though it's owned by Heineken?

It's all ****e anyway. Craft beer ftw!

Sky King wrote: »
    Even though it's owned by Heineken?

It's all ****e anyway. Craft beer ftw!

I think they brew hino there under licence but as far as I know it an Irish company, I am not sure though.

If not Murphy's Caffrey's or Beamish, if Murphy's is Dutch is there any Irish companies left??

It's owned by Heineken. They bought the brand and the brewery in the 80's.

There's loads of craft breweries in Ireland... Irish owned and operated. Check out beoir.org.

Sky King wrote: »
    It's owned by Heineken. They bought the brand and the brewery in the 80's.

There's loads of craft breweries in Ireland... Irish owned and operated. Check out beoir.org.

That's a good site and I will check them out, compared to the continent Irish commercial beer is sh!t, which is ironic, as we drink a lot of it.

Its one of those things about the Irish, we don't really eat fish yet we are an Island, we have only a tiny craft food industry yet we are an agricultural country. The same applies to alcohol, I know there are brands of whiskey distilled in independent breweries but not as much as there should be, the same I would have said about beer till I seen that site.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Tastes like what?! Don't be swilly. some of my favourite people have a penchant for te black stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

44leto wrote: »
    That's a good site and I will check them out, compared to the continent Irish commercial beer is sh!t, which is ironic, as we drink a lot of it.

Its one of those things about the Irish, we don't really eat fish yet we are an Island, we have only a tiny craft food industry yet we are an agricultural country. The same applies to alcohol, I know there are brands of whiskey distilled in independent breweries but not as much as there should be, the same I would have said about beer till I seen that site.

Cheers.

We have, I think 21 domestic craft breweries operating now on the island.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

The problem with Guiness Draught is that its quality can vary dramatically from one pub to another, thats why I drink Large Bottels.

Advertisement