Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTC Grand Finals for Galway ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Do u have be a student of NUIG or can u be a student of another college?

Id say ya should be ok they were not asking for id or anything just head up to them, office is in the same building as the venue. Looks like the wednesday,thursday and friday morning sessions is all that is left, just spotted an update on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 linkedin09

Do u have be a student of NUIG or can u be a student of another college?

Any chance you could hook me up with two evening Friday tickets? All gone on ticketmaster :( Will buy you a pint! Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

missed out on tickets for this Friday evening! will there be any available at the box office?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Drove down yesterday and caught the Lee match and then O'Briens match last night. Lee has continued where he left off in China and is hitting the ball pretty well. O'Brien struggled last night and was well beaten by Joe Perry. Delighted for Joe, he's one of the nicest guys on the tour and i hope he goes a lot further this week.

Will head back down for tomorrow eves match between O'Sullivan and Walden. Can't call this as as usual we don't know which Ronnie will show up but Walden played superbly yesterday and currently holds the highest break with a 131.

Regarding the venue, i thought it was well laid out and has been well recieved by both spectators and players alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

just back from the day session and really enjoyed it. Ding is a machine, 2 centuries, almost a third. Higgins gettin a 123 as well, and losing! Great to see how delighted Jamie Jones was. Left after the first frame of the Lee v Holt match, 6 hours in them seats is more than enough!!

Decent setup, only gripe was getting clamped. Suppose its a pretty big gripe. We arrived at 11:30 and there was no car spaces to be found, so chanced it in our own DIY spot:D We weren't blocking anyone, but were pretty resigned to being clamped. Ridiculous having an event for 650 in a place with no parking. Surely they coulda picked a better venue.

• Advertisement

just read on his twitter that Jamie Jones was even clamped!!:D Says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Hey! Going to the games Saturday evening! What's the layout of the place in there? I assume by then anyway they'll have it down to 1 table?

Also, might go in a little late because of the rugby... are the seats near the back very bad or is it still not too bad?:D

Padkir wrote: »
    Hey! Going to the games Saturday evening! What's the layout of the place in there? I assume by then anyway they'll have it down to 1 table?

Also, might go in a little late because of the rugby... are the seats near the back very bad or is it still not too bad?:D

Its only a one table set up all week.

its one table the whole tournament! Layout is 3 sides of seats, there's only about 6 rows on either side of the table, any seat there is a decent view bar the end nearest the tv cameras, I'm guessin the cameras would be getting in your way a fair bit.

The end opposite the cameras is much bigger, not a great view but as it's so small you're gonna have an ok view at worst I'd guess. We were smack down the front of the side seats so can't get any better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was at the evening session there, first time at a proper snooker match. Was well impressed with the setup. I'm an NUIG student so odd/great to see the hall getting transformed into a snooker venue.

Very enjoyable evening of snooker. ;)

6986116665_344c5d8759_b.jpg

Here's a link to the official photographer's albums;
    Day 1
    Day 2
    The end opposite the cameras is much bigger, not a great view but as it's so small you're gonna have an ok view at worst I'd guess. We were smack down the front of the side seats so can't get any better than that.

I was up that end, view wasn't bad. Would you not be too low on the front seats to get a proper look at the spread of balls?

• Advertisement

yeh yer probably right, there was quite a few glances up at the screen required to see if if the player was on a ball, but at the same time it was great being so near the action. The view in your pic seems ideal though!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Decent setup, only gripe was getting clamped. Suppose its a pretty big gripe. We arrived at 11:30 and there was no car spaces to be found, so chanced it in our own DIY spot:D We weren't blocking anyone, but were pretty resigned to being clamped. Ridiculous having an event for 650 in a place with no parking. Surely they coulda picked a better venue.
    Where is the parking - out the back near the river? I've got tickets for all day Sunday. Hopefully there will be space available on the weekend? Is that a pay car park?

Watched some of the coverage on Eurosport last night. Have to say the setup came across well - nice to see Galway doing itself proud on the telly!

The players have complimented the venue and are obviously enjoying Galway's attractions too - Stephen Lee said that he hadn't slept well and the consequential stiff neck affected his play. He put it down to too many bevvies out on the town Wednesday night! :D

Gwynston wrote: »
    Where is the parking - out the back near the river? I've got tickets for all day Sunday.

Parking in NUIG has gotten very tight, 95% of spaces are staff or student permit only. They may ease off on that for the weekend but you can't be sure, the clampers are ruthless.

I'd recommend parking at the Cathedral. Large carpark there and I think it's €5 for the full day or free after 6 (from memory). It's only a 5minute walk from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

J o e wrote: »
    Parking in NUIG has gotten very tight, 95% of spaces are staff or student permit only. They may ease off on that for the weekend but you can't be sure, the clampers are ruthless.

I'd recommend parking at the Cathedral. Large carpark there and I think it's €5 for the full day or free after 6 (from memory). It's only a 5minute walk from there.

Saturday and Sunday parking is usually free, out the back near the river is a good spot or beside the Arts Millenium building.

Can't be certain that they wont insist on pay and display because this event is on, but usually it's free anyway. Also free after 6.30pm for anyone landing in late tonight!

Was passing earlier when Mark Selby was arriving. He joined the group in the foyer watching the end of a frame on the screen... don't think any of them realised!

Surprise surprise Ronnie has pulled out of the PTC Grand Finals due to medical reasons. Can't really say I'm surprised and I suppose we can take it for granted that he won't travel to China now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinstacks

Hi,

Got 4 tickets to sell for tonight. Just heard o'sullivan has pulled out and that they're going to have Ken Doherty and Ferg O'Brien playing some trick shots instead. So i'm not going to bother and head out home for the weekend. The tickets are all sold out but if anyone wants them for a fiver each....0879435155

I'll be around till 6.

Also about the parking, there are no clampers after 6 or over the weekend so ye can park anywhere, including the pay and display.

cheers

on my way to Galway to see Ronnie, paid 40 euro for two tickets. Am I entitled to a refund?!

Hi,

Got 4 tickets to sell for tonight. Just heard o'sullivan has pulled out and that they're going to have Ken Doherty and Ferg O'Brien playing some trick shots instead. So i'm not going to bother and head out home for the weekend. The tickets are all sold out but if anyone wants them for a fiver each....0879435155

I'll be around till 6.

Also about the parking, there are no clampers after 6 or over the weekend so ye can park anywhere, including the pay and display.

cheers

I sense your anger, feeling the same

• Advertisement

No I asked the one at the desk and she said a refund or exchange for saturday wasn't possible...

No I asked the one at the desk and she said a refund or exchange for saturday wasn't possible...

u serious? but they cant do that, Ronnie was scheduled to play, he can't, so surely were entitled to a refund?!

I've booked tickets, hotel and the cost of petrol going to Dublin-Galway:mad:

what matches are on tonight so?

what matches are on tonight so?

jones v higginston

Doherty v O'Brien(trick shots!!?)

u serious? but they cant do that, Ronnie was scheduled to play, he can't, so surely were entitled to a refund?!

I feel your pain, I havnt bothered going now, will go down Sunday instead. I don't think you have much chance of a refund. The usual clause 'players appear circumstances permitting' will be used aplenty no doubt.
    To be honest you will find the exhibition arranged to be a lot of fun and will certainly last longer than a best of 7 featuring O'Sullivan.

Also about the parking, there are no clampers after 6 or over the weekend so ye can park anywhere, including the pay and display
    This is what I was hoping to hear! And makes sense - I couldn't understand the car park being used much on the weekends.

So just to confirm - the car park round the back by the river is usually pay & display (and/or permits), but should be free on Sundays? I presume there are signs in the car park indicating this - i.e. that p & d is only required Mon - Fri up to 6pm?

zack01 wrote: »

I feel your pain, I havnt bothered going now, will go down Sunday instead. I don't think you have much chance of a refund. The usual clause 'players appear circumstances permitting' will be used aplenty no doubt.
    To be honest you will find the exhibition arranged to be a lot of fun and will certainly last longer than a best of 7 featuring O'Sullivan.

I'm only going now cause we're nearly in Galway and the fact I'd lose my money for the hotel.

Zack01 do u know if Ronnie even arrived in Galway?

I've been to so many exhibitions, there all the same but I'll go anyway cause like u said Zack01 I prob won't get a refund

Just heard o'sullivan has pulled out and that they're going to have Ken Doherty and Ferg O'Brien playing some trick shots instead.

I was in The Old Triangle club in Ballybane Wednesday night and they had posters up saying Ken was going to be there tonight. Think it was going to be €10 entry.

So I guess that's been scuppered if he's entertaining the paying public down an NUIG instead....?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Have they announced the order of play for tomorrow?

• Advertisement

I'm only going now cause we're nearly in Galway and the fact I'd lose my money for the hotel.

Zack01 do u know if Ronnie even arrived in Galway?

I've been to so many exhibitions, there all the same but I'll go anyway cause like u said Zack01 I prob won't get a refund

Ronnie never travelled, to be honest if I finished 25 in the PTC final rankings I'd be seriously pissed off that he pulled out, if he had known for sometime that he wasn't going to play surely his place should have been offered to number 25.
    The statement by Barry Hearn today that no player is bigger than the sport is correct and if Ronnie is genuinely ill than lets hope he gets better in time for Sheffield.
    On the other hand if he has'nt bothered showing up simply because he's already guaranteed his top 16 place for Sheffield well than I really think its time he was punished for all his withdrawls.
    Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Ronnie fan but snooker is not all about him anymore.

Advertisement