Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is gay marriage a threat to humanity?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭vixen chaser

So, let's say a husband beat the holy living tonsils out of his wife and kids and the wife doesn't want to be with him anymore - do you think that they should still be viewed as a happy loving functional family unit in the eyes of the law?
    She should get away from him, but not divorce. If your brother did something terrible to you, he's still your brother, whether you like it or not/.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You prefer cock, good for you. As for the point I am making, once a person gets married, then a family is created, your spouse becomes your family. That should remain a family for ever. If a person choses to get married, then that should be for life. I just think people should take marraige more seriously.

Show me statistical evidence that homosexual couples are any less likely to stay in a long term relationship than straight couples. Bullshít point and you know it, half of American marriages for example end in divorce. Yes, certainly a sacred right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

?????????????/

Are there letters and spaces behind those question marks?

Debenhams loo?

Have you downloaded Grindr yet?

Much easier than communicating to him in code on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

She should get away from him, but not divorce. If your brother did something terrible to you, he's still your brother, whether you like it or not/.

Yeah, but your brother isn't legal bound to you, geddit?

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    This is what doesn't make sense. Why on earth are you assuming that if gay marriage was allowed, they'd all divorce ?
    You said yourself when people marry it creates a family. Why do you assume that the same isn't true of gay people that make such a strong comittment?
    You seem to be suggesting gay people can not chose life partners because they're all busy breaking up and moving on. Which is mad..
    I'll point out the divorce rates as one example as to why marriage is hardly the sacred institute to many herteros either.

I agree with you that people should be taking marriage far more seriously. Looking past the 'day out' and looking into the future. Not marrying folk they've known for weeks etc. the divorce rate is unnecessarily high

I never suggested such a thing, that gays will divorce, they shouldn't be allowed marry in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

There's a difference between blood & flesh and something that's just written on parchment. Marriage is just a piece of parchment with two people's names written on it, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

This is what doesn't make sense. Why on earth are you assuming that if gay marriage was allowed, they'd all divorce ?

Adding to that, the rate of divorce among same-sex couples tends to be lower than their heterosexual peers. Lower rates of divorce between both in US states with same-sex marriage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

On the camp issue: it makes sense that many are too scared to embrace or show off the inner camp before coming out..

What? Seriously? You should stay legally tied to someone who is abusive?

Millicent wrote: »
    Of course you're entitled to an opinion but others are, in the same vein, entitled to challenge you on it. You've said that you don't agree with gay marriage because it's not "natural". Since it's been shown to you time and time again that marriage in itself is inherently unnatural, what is your argument against it?
    Yee are the ones saying it's unnatural., prove it is . I came across you in another thread and you were carrying one the same way, expecting those that son't agre with you to prove their point, even though you had not proved yours.

• Advertisement

I never suggested such a thing, that gays will divorce, they shouldn't be allowed marry in the first place.

But since initial figures show* that gay people seem to take marriage MORE seriously than their heterosexual peers, why shouldn't they when they are the ones valuing the commitment?

*I acknowledge it's hard to be too conclusive with it given the brief passage of time that gay marriage has been legal in few places.

RMD wrote: »
    Show me statistical evidence that homosexual couples are any less likely to stay in a long term relationship than straight couples.

Well it is true. Gay relationships are shorter lived than straight relationships. But that's only because there's people like Vixen in the world who want to make gay people feel inadequate and viewed as less equal than everyone else. That leads to all sorts of problems in relationship. It doesn't have to be that way though. Once homosexuality is normalised (and it will be at some point in the future), it will be easier for gay people to form stable relationships and viewed as equals amongst society and their peers.

Yee are the ones saying it's unnatural., prove it is . I came across you in another thread and you were carrying one the same way, expecting those that son't agre with you to prove their point, even though you had not proved yours.

Did you really now? You see those things I link to? That's called supporting an argument, not wilfully putting my fingers in my ears and ignoring what people are saying to me.

But since you seem to want evidence for a basic argument, here you go:
    Marriage (or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship.

Nothing natural in that at all.

That's Wikipedia. Took about two seconds.

On the camp issue: it makes sense that many are too scared to embrace or show off the inner camp before coming out..

Why is there such a stereotype out there that most gay people are naturally camp, it's just not true!! But yeah, for the effeminate gay people out there to suddenly appear camp when they're out, it makes sense.

nat·u·ral/ˈnaCHərəl/
    Adjective:
    Existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

mar·riage/ˈmarij/
    Noun:
    The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Now, unless you're about to tell me that the law isn't needed in your version of marriage (what then, blood-oath?), you'll note that you can't have a marriage without the human construct of law entering the fray, which is by definition, unnatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

I've no problem with a gay couple marrying. let the gays be gay, its less competition I say!

grindle wrote: »
    nat·u·ral/ˈnaCHərəl/
    Adjective:
    Existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

mar·riage/ˈmarij/
    Noun:
    The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Now, unless you're about to tell me that the law isn't needed in your version of marriage (what then, blood-oath?), you'll note that you can't have a marriage without the human construct of law entering the fray, which is by definition, unnatural.

There you go, 'a formal union of a man and a woman' my point exactly

No-one here is suggesting that homosexuality isn't unnatural when it comes to the mechanics. I mean that's obvious, the penis was designed to be placed inside the vagina, not into the anus. But the fact that we have homosexuals, who were born that way (naturally), means that homosexuality is a natural occurrence. It's been observed in the rest of the animal kingdom. I feel more attracted to men, than to women ... I think that way naturally, I can't change the way I think.

Why should I not be allowed to marry someone simply because I have male genitalia? Why should marriage be based solely on reproduction and not love?

No-one here is suggesting that homosexuality isn't unnatural when it comes to the mechanics. I mean that's obvious, the penis was designed to be placed inside the vagina, not into the anus. But the fact that we have homosexuals, who were born that way (naturally), means that homosexuality is a natural occurrence. It's been observed in the rest of the animal kingdom. I feel more attracted to men, than I am to women ... I think that way naturally, I can't change the way I think.
    I have no problem with that, I just feel, that marraige is a man and woman thing.

Your point was that it wasn't natural. It's proven there that it's marriage is not natural. If you mean that gay marriage is unusual then yes it is, but only because society largely has made gay marriage a social construct yet.

• Advertisement

The full list of definitions, my unfortunate cohabitor of this beautiful-despite-you Earth.

mar·riage
    noun /ˈmarij/ 
    marriages, plural

The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife

A similar long-term relationship between partners of the same sex

A relationship between married people or the period for which it lasts
    - a happy marriage
    - the children from his first marriage

A combination or mixture of two or more elements
    - a marriage of jazz, pop, blues, and gospel

(in pinochle and other card games) A combination of a king and queen of the same suit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

There as always being gays living together and there always will be they haven't harmed anyone yet so I say let them marry away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Why do so many folk think that being Catholic means hating or being against homosexuals like they are the only thing that occupies our waking thoughts? The Catholic Church don't promote discrimination - in fact, many activists, of which I am one or very many is instrumental in opposing making homosexuality illegal in Africa, more specifically Uganda, against other people who are homophobic and certainly malicious.

Surely most of you know 'Catholics' who tear the notion assunder no? ...that to be Catholic is to discriminate or hate, we know exactly what it's like to be hated just because we are Catholic on this island - Why do people allow themselves be sold a 'fundamental' view of being Catholic that is represented or often times mis-represented by misquotes or leading quotes that ignore totally the concept of the entire message of the Church, in fact the most important one?

I have a gay brother in law, I love the ground he walks on - I'm also Catholic, he recently had a civil partnership signing with his long time partner which was his choice to make. He also is fairly religious believe it or not, and probably feels pretty cra* listening moreso to people who 'claim' in his name that I am as a Catholic am 'against' him - talk about tearing a message apart, and a man apart. He sits and prays too - just like me.

When I look at by brother I see only a perfectly formed person capable of making choices, some good, some bad, much like I see in the mirror - and I will freely admit that I am less than perfect - We're in the same boat - no doubt, I know he looks to the same God as I, and despite his drawbacks and mine that are sometimes a hell of a lot greater, there is neither of us more 'special' because of our circumstances.

'Marriage' has Christian undertones which is an institution where one man and woman pledge themselves to eachother in the eyes of God. That's part of being Catholic; not only that though, also using contraception is wrong too ( and there is wisdom in there somewhere ) which I 'do' as a Catholic - the point is that there are no 'perfect' Catholics, the whole point is that the door is open, the bar is set, but beating ourselves up while continuing on a faith journey is not the message - it's the journey that counts, the Church can't judge, just point the way, and the way is not easy for anybody imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Vatican and Catholic officials around the world are a bigger threat to humanity than a couple of village people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I have no problem with that, I just feel, that marraige is a man and woman thing.

That's cool. Some people are born not feeling that. What about their feelings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

so vixen chaser, as a transgender woman, who do you think should I marry?

@lmaopml You sound like a truly lovely person and what I would consider a Christian to be. However, you have to understand that, given the people who claim to be against gay marriage due to their religion (of which I have encountered many), many people--rightly or wrongly--equate Catholicism with being against gay marriage.

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    That's cool. Some people are born not feeling that. What about their feelings?

Life is a bitch. I feel somethings are unfair, but Tough.

Fine, let 'marraige' be a man and woman thing. But let 'marriage' be something that's about love between two consenting individual, not solely about reproduction.

Anyway, what is marriage? If we were to take the state and religion out of this, it's merely an affirmation and recognition of a covenant of commitment and love between two individual in the eyes of their family, friends and society. Why should this be merely something that is restricted to a man and a woman. Without the state or religion there is nothing stopping two people from making such a commitment -- but it is usually the state and religious institutions who'll do their best to stop it from being recognised. That, Vixen, is wrong. You don't have to recognise a same-sex marriage if you don't want to -- but who are you to tell someone who does want to recognise such a marriage what they should or should not recognise!

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    so vixen chaser, as a transgender woman, who do you think should I marry?

Honestly no one.

Advertisement