Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

goz83 wrote: »
    Not one choice made by anyone is innocent of having no affect on another. The ripple may be small, but it is still a ripple.

Ripples don't kill people. Tsunamis do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Festus wrote: »
    Foetuses aren't people. They're not biologically defined as such until they can survive outside the womb. You can't murder them.

They are human beings therefore to kill them by a premeditated and deliberate act is murder.

Biologically, they are not. You don't call an egg a chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, I'm a Catholic who believes the most extreme suffering on earth is nothing compared to the least suffering in Purgatory or the punishment of Hell so I'd probably do my best to hang on as long as I could.

Before you consider a response to that bear in mind which forum you are in and what the Charter says.

I dont believe in any of that so I'm good to not see out the worst days of my existence in agonising pain draining money that could be possibly better used to help sick people that can have a usefull life.
    She would still be a mother.......of a dead baby!

Ah the pause for dramatic effect. :rolleyes:

It may come as a surprise but not everyone shares your view. Quite a lot dont see themselves as mother until they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Either you don't read very well or you do not have much of an understanding of human biology.

Well, I'm a Catholic who believes the most extreme suffering on earth is nothing compared to the least suffering in Purgatory or the punishment of Hell so I'd probably do my best to hang on as long as I could.

Before you consider a response to that bear in mind which forum you are in and what the Charter says.

Yes it is. At last we agree on something :D

So you've done some sinning worthy of purgatory have you? Hold on as long as you can? Sounds like a stubborn one here...i'm off to bed. Have had enough of this rubbish. This abortion (my exit) you will be happy about I think. Have a good night all.

JimiTime wrote: »
    What you see as a 'light decision' I do not. That's your opinion. My opinion is that it is totally morally irresponsible to bring a life into the world that you're not ready for and can't take care of..

With the utmost of respect, I find such reasoning absolutely warped. Not only that, but if someone is pregnant, the life is already in the world.

I can understand That, but the amount of unfit junkie parents I have seen in my time just validates that argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Foetuses aren't people. They're not biologically defined as such until they can survive outside the womb. You can't murder them.

Completely scientifically factual, and we could go a long way in discussing the cognitive ability or lack thereof of a foetus and how viewing them as a life, rather than a potential one, is pretty much akin to saying every time you menstruate you're killing a child, unfortunately, this is the Christian forum, the Christian view is that foetuses are people too, so really biology doesn't matter in the slightest in this discussion, unless of course we query whether a Christian viewpoint should necessarily be inflicted upon non-Christians when that viewpoint is simply a matter of belief...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Incorrect. You are obviously confused and need to check the definition of the term.

As a matter of interest and I'm not being facetious, do the you consider yourself 9 months older than the world conventionally sees you festus? Or do you celebrate your birthday as the day you are alive since like the rets of us?

As a matter of interest and I'm not being facetious, do the you consider yourself 9 months older than the world conventionally sees you festus? Or do you celebrate your birthday as the day you are alive since like the rets of us?

The hint is in the term "birthday"...

And for the impending argument to follow, here is the definition that I go by for the term "foetus":
    A fetus (pronounced /ˈfiːtəs/; also spelled foetus, fœtus, faetus, or fætus, see below) is a developing mammal or other viviparous vertebrate after the embryonic stage and before birth.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The hint is in the term "birthday"...

And for the impending argument to follow, here is the definition that I go by for the term "foetus":
    A fetus (pronounced /ˈfiːtəs/; also spelled foetus, fœtus, faetus, or fætus, see below) is a developing mammal or other viviparous vertebrate after the embryonic stage and before birth.

There doesnt have to be an arguement. When do you consider yourself to have been alive since and hence, how old are you?

• Advertisement

And the murder would be "your" fact of course. The fact is that "murder" is normally a crime people go to jail for. So, if this was fact and abortion was seen as murder by law makers...oh well lets just say in England...then wouldn't the aborting mothers be sent to jail for murder? And the wealthy doctors for being an accessory to murder? Opinions are not facts, but yes, abortion is disgusting and wrong. It would, in my opinion, be a bigger wrong to allow a pregnant woman to die from a pregnancy and perhaps leave other young children behind, for the sake/hope of saving her unborn child. I am of the opinion that sometimes the child is better not to be born into certain circumstances where legislation and lack of morality is guaranteed to provide for miserable lives of those who are fostered into criminality and "murder".

No, not my fact. It is the law. That this law is not currently enforced in this jurisdiction is a different matter. As far as England is concerned that law was repealed and replaced with a law that legalised abortion.

Your opinion however, is as flawed as your knowledge of the law in this state. Medical care is such that pregnancy no longer is a significant factor in female mortality rates. The doctors here do everything in their power to treat mothers and save their lives. If there is ever a threat to her life treatment is provided even if that treatment will cause the baby to die.

What they do not do here is abort the baby before begining life saving treatment because medically that is just stupid.

On a final note I'm not sure that you comments are really fair to those people who foster children in need.

There doesnt have to be an arguement. When do you consider yourself to have been alive since and hence, how old are you?

The argument I was referring to is the one I was expecting (rightly or wrongly) from hattoncracker saying that it's my opinion that a foetus is living, where as I'm actually stating the definition of the term foetus.

The other question refers to how old I am isn't a topic for argument at all. I go by tradition on that, which is to say I celebrate my birthday, not my conception day!!! But there's no doubt that I was alive before I was born!

So you've done some sinning worthy of purgatory have you?

Who hasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I can understand That, but the amount of unfit junkie parents I have seen in my time just validates that argument.

I've seen plenty of that in my time too, drugs being a major issue where I grew up. Its horrible seeing it. Killing the unborn based on their parents though hardly seems fair on the unborn does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Biologically...

An egg is an egg. a chick is a chick. A fertilised egg - chickens egg - is probably best described as an egg with an embryo inside it, or a fertilized egg.

A human egg is an egg too. However, when the egg is fertilized a new human being exists. Biological, medical, scientific fact.

The argument I was referring to is the one I was expecting (rightly or wrongly) from hattoncracker saying that it's my opinion that a foetus is living, where as I'm actually stating the definition of the term foetus.

The other question refers to how old I am isn't a topic for argument at all. I go by tradition on that, which is to say I celebrate my birthday, not my conception day!!! But there's no doubt that I was alive before I was born!
    Im not getting into an argument with you. Im safe in the knowledge that one day it will be legalised fully, whether you like it or not because this society is moving away from the church.

Goodnight and farewell..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Plowman wrote: »

Fair play Plowman, that's exactly what I meant by a considerate argument against abortion in the case of rape, I don't agree with it, but I feel it should be noted.

For arguments sake the reason I don't agree with it is there are cases where all the emotional and material support in the world won't fully aid a rape victim, and where a continued pregnancy will only cause them more harm, it could even hinder her mental capability to carry out a planned pregnancy in future (and in my opinion if we're going to call a foetus a life we can easily call a definite plan one), a woman should be given the opportunity to have this recognised and discussed, before making a decision about continuing a pregnancy which has been violently imposed on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Funnily enough, as the father of two children under 2, I often think of them in this debate. At the end of the day, my children were the same people at conception as they are now. That was the day those lives were created, and every stage since has just been a stage of their growth. My daughter can't walk yet, and there was a time she couldn't think yet etc, but it was wasn't like she was a different person or thing. From the moment my son and daughter were conceived, life was created. Unique lives that started to grow. I can't say that when they were 4 weeks conceived, that they were someone or something different. It was the same son, and same daughter that I see before me every day, just at a very early part of their growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Im not getting into an argument with you. Im safe in the knowledge that one day it will be legalised fully, whether you like it or not because this society is moving away from the church.

Goodnight and farewell..

You've said one thing I agree with there - one day it will be legalised fully. For me, that seems sadly inevitable.

Let me say though that if you support abortion then you should do it for reasons other than to have a pop at the Catholic church. For me, the Church's opposition to abortion isn't the reason why I'm against it. I disagree with the church on contraception and homosexuality - but abortion... I just cannot agree with that, my heart, my conscience tells me that it is wrong. My heart goes out to any woman who may be considering it as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I love it how people put out statements worded as if they are fact. I thought from memory that this was absolute rubbish.
    SonOfAdam wrote: »
    @JimiTime - This is the crux of the issue. The Medical Council has stated that there is no medical reason that warrants an abortion (intentional terminationof life) but acknowledges there are rare cases where the death of the unborn is the unintentional side-effect of certain treatments.
    It's time to leave the health issue to one side and be honest about the real reasons.

So I did look it up just to remind myself:

Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a real and
    substantial risk to the life (as distinct from the health) of the
    mother. Under current legal precedent, this exception includes
    where there is a clear and substantial risk to the life of the mother
    arising from a threat of suicide. You should undertake a full assessment
    of any such risk in light of the clinical research on this issue.

So in fact the Medical Council Statement does state again that doctors should be guided by the judgment in the X case i.e. that abortion may be performed not just where it will occur as an inevitable medication side effect e.g. chemotherapy to save a woman's life from cancer, but also where the threat to the woman's life is from suicide.

So perhaps YOU need to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Deank wrote: »
    `

What has waiting until marriage got to do with abortion, don't bring STD's into it that's a different debate, one which I do agree with you on :eek:,

There's a causual relationship between how people have regarded sexuality and the emergence of abortion which unfortunately I think is inevitable.

If people reject waiting until marriage, limiting themselves to one partner, and expressing sexuality when they feel that they are able to deal with the risk of unplanned pregnancy by bringing a child into the world, then of course there will be a perceived need for abortion.

It's a slippery slope. A few posts ago you said to me that I wasn't on the same planet, but actually there's a clear improvement in this respect over the secular sexual ethics that we've given ourselves over the past few decades.

Your opinion is fine and you wont have an abortion. But why do you get to make that decsion for someone else.

I wouldnt want my girlfriend to ever get an abortion but I'm very much pro choice.

The same thing as a mother making a choice on behalf of her baby, whether it should live or die! :rolleyes:

Which is why the law should be changed about the definition of what is a living human being and what is not.
    This is shoving it under the carpet. Dishonest denial.

Life and death is biological fact not opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

philologos wrote: »

Whoa, better not use that domestos anymore then.

Jumpy wrote: »

Whoa, better not use that domestos anymore then.
    How thoroughly disappointing it is that you regard human life as the equivalent of bacteria.

I hope you see the difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

How thoroughly disappointing it is that you regard human life as the equivalent of bacteria.

I hope you see the difference now.

Actually you did that not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Your opinion however, is as flawed as your knowledge of the law in this state. Medical care is such that pregnancy no longer is a significant factor in female mortality rates. The doctors here do everything in their power to treat mothers and save their lives. If there is ever a threat to her life treatment is provided even if that treatment will cause the baby to die.

That entire paragraph is flawed, especially the bit in bold.

The threat to the mother's life must be substantial. And noone has defined that term, not the courts, not the legislature, not the medical bodies. Aside from the rights & wrongs of the current debate, that is one of the chief difficulties with the current position vis-a-vis the law in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

drkpower wrote: »
    That entire paragraph is flawed, especially the bit in bold.

The threat to the mother's life must be substantial. And noone has defined that term, not the courts, not the legislature, not the medical bodies. Aside from the rights & wrongs of the current debate, that is one of the chief difficulties with the current position vis-a-vis the law in Ireland.

There are two separate scenarios here. One is a case where a woman requires life saving treatment which may, as a side effect, result in the termination of the pregnancy. No doctor would hesitate to do this, even if it was certain that it would result in the death of the unborn child. This can't be considered abortion by any measure.

The second is a case where an doctor believes that he or she needs to carry out an abortion to save the life of a woman. This is provided for in the X case but has never been legislated for, probably because our elected representatives are afraid to go anywhere near it. I think the point that Festus is making is that it is difficult to see what examples would fall into the second category (aside from the risk of suicide, which was found to be a substantial risk in the X case). Personally I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Deank wrote: »
    Abortion has nothing to do with killing a 5 year old or a grandmother, it's about terminating a fetus, and I never assume anything, am a good reader of minds though, off the soap box with yeh now.

Your arguments are silly (I'm pro-choice btw).

You are assuming the correctness of your position (it is morally ok to terminate a pregnancy) and assuming that after that it is simply an issue of people butting into other people's business, saying that everyone should stop bossing these women around.

But you fail to appreciate that not everyone thinks it is morally ok to terminate a pregnancy, to a lot of people it is as wrong to terminate a pregnancy as it is to kill you 5 year old.

PDN is not arguing that terminating a pregnancy is morally ok but he should have the right to butt into a woman's business and effect her morally acceptable choice.

He is saying he doesn't believe it is morally ok to terminate a pregnancy in the first place.

No one would argue that people should just get out of a mothers life and let her get on with killing her 5 year old, so the idea that this is some how a valid argument for abortion when the people you are arguing with think killing a fetus is as bad as killing a 5 year old is, like I said, silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Plowman wrote: »

Well the argument is that no one has the right to interfere with a person's bodily privacy, even if this results in the death of another person.

Most people would accept the concept of bodily privacy outside of the context of abortion. No one has a right to, for example, perform an invasive operation on your without your consent. No one has the right to stop you having an operation on your body if you want to. You, and you, alone decide what happens to your body. If you choosing not to allow something to happen to your body results in the death of someone else (e.g. refusing to give blood) then that is a shame but does not supersede your right to bodily privacy.

How that argument extends to the mother is that she has complete control over her body and if she wants to, essentially, kick the baby out of her body, then she can. You can't stop her because she has the right to do anything to her body. No right to life the baby may or may not have supersedes the mothers right to be able to do what ever she likes with her body and to refuse to have any thing done to her body without her consent. You cannot stop her performing an operation on her body (ie the abortion).

The issues with this argument is that it takes a principle from one argue where the principle makes almost intuitive sense (you have the right to bodily privacy and have the right to perform or refuse any action that effects your body) and applies it to a highly emotional argument of parental responsibility, ie which rights as a person does someone essentially give up when it comes to their children.

For example it is easy to argue that everyone has the right to liberty in respect to movement, ie they can go anywhere they want for what ever reason and should not be confined to particular areas by force. If I want to take a holiday to Kerry I can, if you stop me it is kidnapping or illegal arrest. I can't though take a holiday to Kerry while abandoning my children in my house for a week without food. I have a responsibility of care to my children that supersedes any personal liberty I have for freedom of movement.

The question of whether parental responsibility supersedes the right to bodily privacy is both fascinating and extremely difficult, one I've not yet formed a solid position on.

The ethical questions it raises go beyond abortion. For example can a mother or father refuse to give blood to save the life of their child (some religious organisations would strongly argue they should be able to refuse to do this and no one has the right to brake their bodily privacy to make them). Can a mother or father refuse to provide things like marrow transplants to their children. Again many would argue that they can because they can refuse any operation on their body.

Some what ironically the notion that parental responsibility does not in fact supersede bodily privacy seems stronger after the child is born, rather than before.

So irrespective of the question of whether the fetus is a person with rights, the bodily privacy argument is not easy to argue either way. I think anyone who is anti-abortion needs to have a good think about the bodily privacy argument and come up with a sound ethical argument as to why bodily privacy is not supreme in this area, that extends beyond simply pregnancy (ie I would see it as difficult to impossible to argue a woman has no right to abort her baby but does have the right to refuse to give blood to her baby.)

Having not made my mind up quite yet I would be interested in this arguments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement