Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 3,200 graduates apply for €30,000 state jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To be honest there are a lot of reasons for this. Emigration is probably number one.

After that its very mixed despite high rise of unemployment for graduates and for nearly everyone regardless of age, gender, skill, profession, level, how well educated and how experienced someone is.

I suppose the usual reason would have been graduates would like a graduate job with more of a challenge and that they might like to change from job to job to get gain more work experience.

Typically the reason is that they like a different or new type of job rather than a civil/public service one.

The most common reason would be students either go on to do further study or go travelling or still want to stick with the jobs they might have even if its just part time work as its more within their area.

Many of those jobs in the area of Law, Economics, Tax, HR, Accountancy, Finance as mentioned above require most students to not only have a degree but have professional qualifications in particular for tax, accounting and law. Not everyone who studied them in their degree would have gone on to do the professional exams.

They are specific areas that require further study and professional qualifications even work experience. I have noticed that the more qualified and more research a graduate has done the more likely they will be hired, not just having a degree, done further study and have relevant experience seems that more they be more qualified and have done more research, a graduate has done seems to be a requirement in the Civil/public service regardless of discipline.

In all fairness 30k per year isn't bad for a new graduate starting out.

There could also be other reasons for a low number of applications. Some might want to gain further work experiences before settling down on one job for life.

Some might be currently in the middle of a masters or Phd and might not be able to commit to full time employment.

Salary and cushy job might not suit them. The media could have a bit to do with them not wanting to apply. Might not be enough graduates in those disciplines or have decided to change career/disciplines as there is less work in the area of Law and HR, though accounting/economics/tax should be booming.

There could be also other reasons too but if you have a look at this article from the Gradireland blog give you an insight of the other side of field. Mainly deals with how skills are mismatched with the current job market. Does not sound good when there were only aprox 6,000 vacancies available in the country between the months of April and June. While a shockingly 300,000 people aprox were unemployed during those months despite that number having increased to nearly the 400,000 mark!

http://gradireland.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/skills-mismatch-highlighted-once-more-as-jobs-news-worsens/

So basically there are a number of factors for a low number of applicants to these public/civil service jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Graduates dont want to work for 30 grand..they'll happily sit on the dole unntill somebody rings them up and offers a 50 k job with company car and bonuses.

These people are not living nin the real world..a bunch of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Degsy wrote: »
    Graduates dont want to work for 30 grand..they'll happily sit on the dole unntill somebody rings them up and offers a 50 k job with company car and bonuses.

These people are not living nin the real world..a bunch of wasters.

If you had the chance of pulling in 50k plus bonuses wouldn't you wait it out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

x43r0 wrote: »

How long exactly do they want to wait?

Untill a foreigner with better qualifications agrees to do it for less money?

Idiocy..people need to wake up to the fact that they shood be working for peanuts if necessary rather than bleeding the country white on the dole.

Degsy wrote: »
    How long exactly do they want to wait?

Untill a foreigner with better qualifications agrees to do it for less money?

Idiocy..people need to wake up to the fact that they shood be working for peanuts if necessary rather than bleeding the country white on the dole.
    I think it's fair if a graduate want to wait a few months to give themselves the best possible shot at landing a well paid job. It wouldn't make sense initially to take a filler job if they're only going to be taking days off to go for interviews all the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

There are a lot of one-liners and smart-arse comments on this thread that are doing little to nothing to move the discussion forward, and if anything they are pissing people off. If you can't contribute in a civil manner, or you don't have anything to add that addresses the topic of this thread, then you don't need to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What graduate is going to get that? Most finance, accounting or economics grads would be starting on less than half of that and those lucky enough to get a bonus would be getting less than a month's salary, not the millions you read about the top tier of management getting in the papers.

Even in IT (where we continuously hear there's no recession :roleyes:) you aren't going to get 50k until you've a minimum of 5/6 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think it's fair if a graduate want to wait a few months to give themselves the best possible shot at landing a well paid job. It wouldn't make sense initially to take a filler job if they're only going to be taking days off to go for interviews all the time
    It's fine to wait it out for the reasons you give, but not at taxpayers' expense. If grads want to play a waiting game, don't sign on!

Sleepy wrote: »
    What graduate is going to get that? Most finance, accounting or economics grads would be starting on less than half of that and those lucky enough to get a bonus would be getting less than a month's salary, not the millions you read about the top tier of management getting in the papers.

Even in IT (where we continuously hear there's no recession :roleyes:) you aren't going to get 50k until you've a minimum of 5/6 years experience.

Granted a small percentage but it does happen. I'm 8 months out of college doing IT and in that percentage. 9 others from my college are in the same grad program as well so it does happen but I accept it's a small minority
    murphaph wrote: »
    It's fine to wait it out for the reasons you give, but not at taxpayers' expense. If grads want to play a waiting game, don't sign on!

On reflection of my previous comment, I totally agree with what you said there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

seamus wrote: »
    The PS is legendary for rejecting applicants who don't meet the criteria exactly (maybe it's a myth, but it's the general perception),

Yeah, just look at the great job they did in picking Kevin Cardiff. -
    - the man who advised the government that Bank Bailout was a good idea.

Look at the great job they did in picking Patrick Neary.

Look at the great job they did picking Frank Daly for NAMA.

There are countless other mandarins working in are public service who would'nt last a month in the private sector. The whole "recruitment" system in the PS is just a front and a charade. From my experience, nepotism is how most people get jobs in the PS.

In fact, the public service is so efficient, they needed to pay Anglo's auditors "Ernst and Young" 250,000 to find an outsourced waste collection service. And look who they came up with, Bloodhound Greyhound waste - a company that overcharged our sleepy national rail company over 1 million. That's how efficient our PS is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

jewett wrote: »
    Yeah, just look at the great job they did in picking Kevin Cardiff. -
    - the man who advised the government that Bank Bailout was a good idea. Hindsight is a great thing...

Look at the great job they did in picking Patrick Neary. - Hindsight is a great thing.

Look at the great job they did picking Frank Daly for NAMA. - Hindsight is a great thing.

It's always very easy, after the proverbial hits the fan, to throw muck around. For example, I wonder who you voted for in the last few general elections Jewett? Any individuals / parties who you wish now you hadn't? I don't know much about the other two, but I know Frank Daly had a very solid background, having had a very successful stint in charge of Revenue.

The whole "recruitment" system in the PS is just a front and a charade. From my experience, nepotism is how most people get jobs in the PS.

Sorry now, but you'll either have to share your "experience" or you're just talking guff... As someone who's been through PS recruitment in the last few years I take exception to that suggestion - nepotism may have been the case in the distant past (in Ireland just like in any other country I'd imagine), but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

For example, I wonder who you voted for in the last few general elections Jewett?
    - nepotism may have been the case in the distant past (in Ireland just like in any other country I'd imagine), but not any more.

In the past three elections, I voted for independents.

I saw through FF's "how to buy an election" strategy a long long time ago. Equally, I cringed at the limp opposition FG offered.

As for nepotism in the PS, it is still rampant but certainly better hidden now. I know this from personal acquaintances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As for nepotism in the PS, it is still rampant but certainly better hidden now. I know this from personal acquaintances.

no you dont, this is simply Pub Talk.
    And, I know this from personal acquaintances ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Those evil PS baxtards! What will they do next?

I wonder how I managed my promotion last year through the exams and the competency based interview? I'll have to go back through my notes to check exactly where I ticked the nepotism box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

In the past three elections, I voted for independents.

I saw through FF's "how to buy an election" strategy a long long time ago. Equally, I cringed at the limp opposition FG offered.

So you met Gigino then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

n97 mini wrote: »
    The clock system will have red flags all over that (assuming you are clocking in and out honestly) and you'd be told to take time off, as you're in breach of the working time act.

Since when are Assistant Principal Officers working on the Budget or on legislation on the clock?

What about those who work on the EU Presidency? Was in a line Department for one Presidency and became aware of the hours put in by Department of Foreign Affairs officials in Brussels. 70 hours wouldn't cover it.

Very few private sector organisations see that commitment without huge reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There are countless other mandarins working in are public service who would'nt last a month in the private sector. The whole "recruitment" system in the PS is just a front and a charade. From my experience, nepotism is how most people get jobs in the PS.

(1) There are probably over a million people working in the private sector who wouldn't last two days in the public sector.
    (2) Nepotism is rife in the SME and small business sector in the private sector - several family businesses that I know of and all jobs go to friends and family
    (3) Civil service jobs are the fairest in Ireland by a long shot in selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I worked in the human resources department of a public sector organisaton and I can tell you that nepotism is not rife. It's far more common in the private sector.

Granted a small percentage but it does happen. I'm 8 months out of college doing IT and in that percentage. 9 others from my college are in the same grad program as well so it does happen but I accept it's a small minority
    Is your location accurate? There's certainly a lot more scope for a lot of IT people in the UK. Contracting in London I easily doubled my income but have too many roots here to make the move permanently.

If not, care sharing the degree you did and the type of IT you're in? I might be looking for a career change! :p

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is your location accurate? There's certainly a lot more scope for a lot of IT people in the UK. Contracting in London I easily doubled my income but have too many roots here to make the move permanently.

If not, care sharing the degree you did and the type of IT you're in? I might be looking for a career change! :p

Ya to be fair the location is probably a difference maker in terms of basic starting.

I did Bsc. Computer Science and Masters in BIS. Doing business analysis

• Advertisement

It's entirely the location so x43r0, a graduate doing business analysis in Ireland would be lucky to start in the high twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Godge wrote: »
    Since when are Assistant Principal Officers working on the Budget or on legislation on the clock?

Do these particular people not clock in and clock out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

(1) There are probably over a million people working in the private sector who wouldn't last two days in the public sector.
    For what reason(s) do you think they wouldn't last 2 days?
    (2) Nepotism is rife in the SME and small business sector in the private sector - several family businesses that I know of and all jobs go to friends and family
    You can't have a family run business by definition without hiring family members. But private enterprise are entitled to hire whoever they like as they are accountable only to their owners. The state as a whole owns the public sector.
    (3) Civil service jobs are the fairest in Ireland by a long shot in selection
    I went for a job interview a long time ago in a prominent university. I was told unofficially that the position was already filled internally, but to be seen to be doing the right thing they had to interview external candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

waster81 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/only-3200-graduates-apply-for-30000-state-jobs-3015860.html

Given we hear how cushy a number the public service is, how generous the pay and pensions is compared to the private sector

Why is it that we have such a low number of graduates looking to enter the public service

Is the pay lower than what they could get in the private sector
    Is there no sense of public duty/service

Anyone offer an explanation

Maybe most graduates have ambition.

I worked in the human resources department of a public sector organisaton and I can tell you that nepotism is not rife. It's far more common in the private sector.

The private sector isn't funded by the taxpayer.

That's so funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I still work in HR of a Public Sector organisation. Not much recruitment these days. I would estimate that I've sat on about 20 interview boards. Not once have I been asked or asked someone to show favour to a certain candidate. Sometimes it just worked out that the candidate was related to someone already in the organisation, we always wanted the best candidate, who wasn't always available but that's a different day’s story.

I also worked for a large wholesaler. 4 of the managers were related. All of their wives and most of their children worked there. OK it wasn't tax payer funded but it's a bit rich that Private Sector employees expect a certain standard when the organisations they work for don't even meet these standards themselves.

gerryo777 wrote: »

Ya I noticed...what does it have to do with my comment? All public sector jobs have to be advertised, many require you to sit competitive examinations, interviews etc. If I was a business owner in the private sector I could hire my son, daughter, wife, niece, nephew without a problem. I wouldn't have to advertise the jobs or hold interviews. I can think of at least 5 people I went to college with working in family businesses. You can't do that in the public sector.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Do these particular people not clock in and clock out?

They don't in the courts, don't know about other departments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

EUR30,000 is a GREAT salary.

I'm applying for one of these jobs. Anyone who expects more than 30,000 EUR is living in a fantasy world.

Typical of Irish people: greedy and unrealistic.

Advertisement