Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed dating fashion sense!

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭

been following the whole online dating thread and thinking of going along to a speed dating event and curious as to what lads generally wear to these things...would appreciate the advice of any posters that have gone in the past as don't want to stick out like a sore thumb

obviously a tux or indeed oily overalls etc would be out too far at either end of the spectrum but are they generally smart casual events (shirt/slacks) or are we talking jeans and a shirt or jeans and t-shirt etc

fairly OK with the other aspects of the thing strangely (unless there are some horror stories anyone wants to contribute:D)

mods feel free to move delete if this is in the wrong place (couldnt see anything in the charter) - was going to ask the ladies at the ladies lounge what they think but apparently they are not one homogenous mass to be asked for their opinions on male fashion (which was rather disappointing - hopefully their will be some lady lurkers with some opinions as well though)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Smart casual I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

cheers.... so jeans a probable no no then (even with a nice shirt etc)

I'm a bit of casual dresser or very smart business suit type person with no in between....will have to do some adjusting to strike some sort of balance

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah, yeah you'd get away with jeans and a nice shirt.

strangely relieved to hear that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Jeans and a shirt..

Just don't ever ask a woman:

"So can you cook? I'd need a wife that can cook".

Serious, that was said to me at speed-dating..

The next 6 mins were kinda quiet :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

you were looking for a husband that can cook, weren't ya? :P:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

foxinsox wrote: »
    Just don't ever ask a woman:

"So can you cook? I'd need a wife that can cook".

Serious, that was said to me at speed-dating..

The next 6 mins were kinda quiet :P

jeebus...that made me laugh....well I would be a step ahead of that lad in any event!

On a related note what sort of conversations go on...is it the usual plain vanilla....what do you do? (for work obviously:D)... what are your pass times interests............then see where the conversation goes etc

@ awec: you make a good point, I do wear jeans on dates so why not to speed dating I suppose (I'm taking this too seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just watch out for that Tucker lad...

• Advertisement

Somewhat depends, I guess. Sometimes it might be a pair of nice jeans with a shirt, or it might be a pair of slacks, shirt, waistcoat and tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

amacca wrote: »
    been following the whole online dating thread and thinking of going along to a speed dating event and curious as to what lads generally wear to these things...would appreciate the advice of any posters that have gone in the past as don't want to stick out like a sore thumb

This is the point. But a hawaiin shirt doesn't make you stand out, just makes you look ridiculous.

Crisp white shirt, sports jacket and jeans/trousers.

This is the point. But a hawaiin shirt doesn't make you stand out, just makes you look ridiculous.

Crisp white shirt, sports jacket and jeans/trousers.

That won't make you stand out. You'd just look like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

amacca wrote: »
    mods feel free to move delete if this is in the wrong place (couldnt see anything in the charter) was going to ask the ladies at the ladies lounge what they think but apparently they are not one homogenous mass to be asked for their opinions on male fashion (which was rather disappointing - hopefully their will be some lady lurkers with some opinions as well though)

when you were reading our charter did you see the point about not making comments on the moderation of other fora, incl TLL?

their forum has that rule for a very good reason, no need for the petty swipe here.

sam34 wrote: »
    when you were reading our charter did you see the point about not making comments on the moderation of other fora, incl TLL?

their forum has that rule for a very good reason, no need for the petty swipe here.

apologies...was not intended as a petty swipe (did'nt think it qualified as one - It was just a statement of fact imo).........I see the reason for it and was amused that the rule/guideline was almost exactly what I was going to do before I read the charter..................genuinely wasn't swiping at the way the forum is moderated or moderators there (haven't spent long enough over there to even form an opinion) if that's what people thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There was a program on a few weeks ago about how Irish males dress and had one guy go speed dating initally in tracksuit and unkempt (hair messed up etc) and did not impress any of the ladies (they gave him less than 5/10). He then changed clothes into blazer, smart shirt, jeans and nice shoes and groomed (hair, stubble etc) and the same ladies that criticised him earlier were wow'ed by him second time round (7s and 8s/10).

TBH, it was a very black and white too obvious extremes example to prove a point but the gist is jeans are acceptable along with nice clean shoes/shirt and/or blazer. The newer style chinos (in various colours) that are really popular now would also be an interesting choice if you want to get away from ubiquitous jeans ensembles. River Island/Next/Top Man all stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ongarboy wrote: »
    There was a program on a few weeks ago about how Irish males dress and had one guy go speed dating initally in tracksuit and unkempt (hair messed up etc) and did not impress any of the ladies (they gave him less than 5/10).

So what is better ?. To dress in a way that totally misrepresents how you are in real life or to be yourself ? I wouldn't want a woman to fancy me because of my choice of clothes. Just as I wouldn't allow her choice to influence me. We are supposed to be choosing partners for a relationship not a fashion shoot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ongarboy wrote: »
    There was a program on a few weeks ago about how Irish males dress and had one guy go speed dating initally in tracksuit and unkempt (hair messed up etc) and did not impress any of the ladies (they gave him less than 5/10). He then changed clothes into blazer, smart shirt, jeans and nice shoes and groomed (hair, stubble etc) and the same ladies that criticised him earlier were wow'ed by him second time round (7s and 8s/10).
    Discodog wrote: »
    So what is better ?. To dress in a way that totally misrepresents how you are in real life or to be yourself ? I wouldn't want a woman to fancy me because of my choice of clothes. Just as I wouldn't allow her choice to influence me. We are supposed to be choosing partners for a relationship not a fashion shoot.

I haven't seen the show but this seems like some really shoddy stuff. Did they just give the results or explain it?

Take someone out of a social circle they are familiar/styled and accustomed to and they are going to appear out of place attract negative attention. The reason why the person would score such low ratings initially is becuase the person appears to be lazt and has no consideration for how he presents himself. You don't impress someone without making some kind of effort, especially with Speeding Dating where you'll have to try and positively gain someones attention and attraction in a relatively short period of time. Being presentable the second time around shows that someone is attempting to impress.

Amacca,
    Overall, a nice pair of jeans, and a decent enough shirt should do. I'd recommend wearing a belt too btw. Don't go around with your jeans hanging out of your ass. :p

Maybe you are making a huge effort to be yourself & not some false image. So you turn up all smart, get a date & at some time she discovers that you are really a scruff. Be yourself & attract people that like you how you are.

• Advertisement

You can look tidy in jeans & a T shirt provided you are clean, smell nice, & treat the woman with charm & respect.

It is up to the individual as to how they portray themselves but I would rather meet a genuine scruff than a false impression.

You only have to be in Galway during race week to see the thousands of people wearing clothes that are totally unnatural to them. Loads of suits with sleeves by the elbows & bare ankles showing - & that's just the men :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Maybe you are making a huge effort to be yourself & not some false image. So you turn up all smart, get a date & at some time she discovers that you are really a scruff. Be yourself & attract people that like you how you are.

Fine in theory, But not in this life son. If every gal wears a dress and heels, the one in trakkies and uggs aint gonna be the one you're looking at.

johnr1 wrote: »
    Fine in theory, But not in this life son. If every gal wears a dress and heels, the one in trakkies and uggs aint gonna be the one you're looking at.

That's fine. You concentrate on the dresses & heels & leave the gorgeous girl in "trakkies" to me. When the dress, heels, makeup etc come off, as they will for 90% of her time at home, then you will see what she looks like in "trakkies". Meanwhile I will of chosen the girl with a wonderful personality rather than a shoe fetish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

That's fine. You concentrate on the dresses & heels & leave the gorgeous girl in "trakkies" to me. When the dress, heels, makeup etc come off, as they will for 90% of her time at home, then you will see what she looks like in "trakkies". Meanwhile I will of chosen the girl with a wonderful personality rather than a shoe fetish :D

Well if there are 50 gals in dresses to every one in trakkies (which I think would be a fair guess for any pub/club/dating event in Irl) which of us has the better chance of meeting a gal with a wonderful personality do you think ?
    You have one chance, I have 50. :cool:

awec wrote: »
    Think you're being unfair here, almost saying that girls that dress themselves up can't have a good personality?

Er No. I am saying that any woman can have a good personality irrespective of how she dresses. But a sign of real beauty can be when a woman looks good in jeans & an old jumper. The key is confidence & wearing what you like rather than what someone else likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

There was an article in the Guardian where a reporter went to to two Speed Dating events. At the first, she told everyone she was a lawyer, at the second, a florist.

She got much more interest from the men who thought she was a florist.

I don't know what this proves really. Men like flowers?

Here's the article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/dec/29/lifeandhealth.gender

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

She got much more interest from the men who thought she was a florist.

I don't know what this proves really. Men like flowers?

Na, just that she was more down to earth. :pac:

• Advertisement

Advertisement