Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Marines : Mission Afghanistan Channel 5

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm not sure where to find it, but the maker is Chris Terrell. He also made Commando: On The Frontline which was a brilliant documentary, if this one is of the same quality it will be a great watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

feeney92 wrote: »
    Anybody heard about this documentary?? just wanted to know does anybody know where i can watch it as its not available on the chanel 5 player thingy majig!!

Starts 9pm c5 Monday 30th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Not sure if this link is geographically restricted by IP address, but here ye go lads;

Episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Was expecting a good documentary and I certainly wasn't disappointed.

Really enjoyed it. The marines Chris Terrill is with are certainly a very interesting, inspiring bunch of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Lemming wrote: »
    Not sure if this link is geographically restricted by IP address, but here ye go lads;

Episode 1.

It is Lemming but thanks for the gesture, will track it down elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Thought the marines were arrogant and ignorant. Calling the Taliban scum for using guerilla warfare... it's just ridiculous.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Thought the marines were arrogant and ignorant. Calling the Taliban scum for using guerilla warfare... it's just ridiculous.

They are at war with them. They have lost dear friends at the hands of these people. They have witnessed the horrific things the taliban do to the local population, we even saw the horrific use of children as a tool/human shield for the taliban in last night's episode. I fully agree with the commandos when they label the taliban as scum.

You are probably the sort who supports the IRA's use of guerrilla tactics and indisriminant bombings but was seething when the Special Air Service plays them at their own game!

They called them scum because they used women and children as cover and to do their reconassiance.

bwatson wrote: »
    They are at war with them. They have lost dear friends at the hands of these people. They have witnessed the horrific things the taliban do to the local population, we even saw the horrific use of children as a tool/human shield for the taliban in last night's episode. I fully agree with the commandos when they label the taliban as scum.

You are probably the sort who supports the IRA's use of guerrilla tactics and indisriminant bombings but was seething when the Special Air Service plays them at their own game!
    What did they see the local Taliban people do to the local non-Taliban people? Didn't really see the children as human shields in that episode, they were just hanging around the place, it's not as if the suspected Taliban men were firing rounds off while the children were around.

I've obviously got in your head, there's no need to get personal.

Didn't really see the children as human shields in that episode, they were just hanging around the place, it's not as if the suspected Taliban men were firing rounds off while the children were around.

Though not something that happened in last night's episode; the above has happened to British soldiers in recent times. I seem to recall a small snippet in a newspaper sometime mid to late last year (I could be mistaken) where a soldier was saved by his helmet taking the round fired by an insurgent, using a little girl as a human shield. The insurgent managed to get a round off because the soldier would not fire with the child there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

They called them scum because they used women and children as cover and to do their reconassiance.

I'd call people who sexually abuse Afghan children, then film it, beyond scum. Which is what the British army has been in the news recently for.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Border-Rat wrote: »
    I'd call people who sexually abuse Afghan children, then film it, beyond scum. Which is what the British army has been in the news recently for.

I really hate feeding a troll, but this really annoyed me.

Border-Rat, Liam Adams sexually abused his own daughter, does that make you, as a republican, a sexual offender?

Just watched the show, thought it was very well done, looking forward to the next episode. I also thought it was interesting how desensitised the guy on his forth tour was about killing someone. It would be interesting to see how people settle back into normal life after serving.

The IRA was riddled with nonces, even female ones.
    Briege Meehan, the widow of a former Sinn Fein councillor and leading figure in the IRA, is facing multiple charges of child abuse, including the alleged sexual abuse of her step-daughter

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Widow-of-leading-IRA-figure-faces-sexual-abuse-charges-109154639.html#ixzz1kzRcVmDV

Briege Meehan, the widow of a former Sinn Fein councillor and leading figure in the IRA, is facing multiple charges of child abuse, including the alleged sexual abuse of her step-daughter

What's that got to do with the British military in Afghanistan? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

What's that got to do with the British military in Afghanistan? :confused:

BR is a card-carrying Chuckie* around these parts, hence both delta720 & crusader's retorts to the troll-post.

* Chuckie: a long-running slang term from the boards.ie politics forum, derived from the IRA mantra "Tiochaid ar la" and plays on the phonetic sound of "Tiochaidh", used to refer to IRA supporters/apologists and/or ardent Sinn Fein supporters.

delta720 wrote: »
    I really hate feeding a troll, but this really annoyed me.

Border-Rat, Liam Adams sexually abused his own daughter, does that make you, as a republican, a sexual offender?

Just watched the show, thought it was very well done, looking forward to the next episode. I also thought it was interesting how desensitised the guy on his forth tour was about killing someone. It would be interesting to see how people settle back into normal life after serving.

But we're not talking about Republicans. And I'm not even a Republican. And Republicans have nothing to do with Afghanistan.

And the point is, sex-offender British soldiers regard the Afghan resistance as scum because some of them allegedly use human shields. If thats the case, then the entire British army is comprised of sex offenders.

Not to mention the claims are dubious. For a start, Anglo-Americans lie about such things. First they said Bin Laden used a women as a shield, then they went back on it. They don't know when to tell the truth.

BR is a card-carrying Chuckie* around these parts, hence both delta720 & crusader's retorts to the troll-post.

* Chuckie: a long-running slang term from the boards.ie politics forum, derived from the IRA mantra "Tiochaid ar la" and plays on the phonetic sound of "Tiochaidh", used to refer to IRA supporters/apologists and/or ardent Sinn Fein supporters.

Lol. Let me point out the stupidity of these statement. Firstly, 'around these parts', these parts being, incidentally, an Irish forum. Secondly, he uses my support of Sinn Fein as some sort of tool of condescension, in relation to 'these parts'. I must inform you, that Sinn Fein is now the second most popular party in the 26 Counties and has complete mandate of Irish people in the 06 Counties.

You speak like I am a supporter of a fringe-group, on a forum for Englishmen. In fact, I am a supporter of a Party of increasing popularity in Ireland, posting on an Irish forum. You're from England, acting like this is a British military sub-forum.

This is an Irish forum, and Sinn Fein is one of the large 3 parties in Ireland. SHOCK - Irish person supports immensely popular Irish Political Party on Irish forum. Who the hell do you think you are?

Lol. Let me point out the stupidity of these statement. Firstly, 'around these parts', these parts being, incidentally, an Irish forum. Secondly, he uses my support of Sinn Fein as some sort of tool of condescension, in relation to 'these parts'. I must inform you, that Sinn Fein is now the second most popular party in the 26 Counties and has complete mandate of Irish people in the 06 Counties.

You speak like I am a supporter of a fringe-group, on a forum for Englishmen. In fact, I am a supporter of a Party of increasing popularity in Ireland, posting on an Irish forum. You're from England, acting like this is a British military sub-forum.

This is an Irish forum, and Sinn Fein is one of the large 3 parties in Ireland. SHOCK - Irish person supports immensely popular Irish Political Party on Irish forum. Who the hell do you think you are?

This is a military sub forum of an Irish website, not an Irish military sub forum. People are free to discuss military issues of interest regardless of the nation of origin. Secondly, people like you seem intent on manipulating a vast number of threads, creating heated political discussion. There are politics forums for you if you wish to engage in such debates. Of course political issues will inevitably envoke discussion on this board at times, but do you really feel the need to disrupt every thread with your boring, predictable tirades of anti-British folly?

By the way, you still appear to be confusing the British and the English. Your geography, as we know, is piss poor. Your political awareness doesn't seem to be too hot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

But we're not talking about Republicans. And I'm not even a Republican. And Republicans have nothing to do with Afghanistan.

And the point is, sex-offender British soldiers regard the Afghan resistance as scum because some of them allegedly use human shields. If thats the case, then the entire British army is comprised of sex offenders.

Not to mention the claims are dubious. For a start, Anglo-Americans lie about such things. First they said Bin Laden used a women as a shield, then they went back on it. They don't know when to tell the truth.

To label an entire force because of the actions of a tiny minority of scumbags is pure ignorance. If you wish to do so, I'll be able to label pretty much any organization you hold in high regard as a group of scumbags because of the actions of a tiny few. There's very very few groups which don't have a scumbag which filtered past the selection process.

If you wish to turn this into politics, the Taliban are a minority group who hold no regard for womens' rights or the rights of many minority groups such as homosexuals, people of other religions or people of different ethnic backgrounds. Their interpretation of Sharia law is incredibly strict disregarding what many would view as basic civil liberties and they're a genuine danger to Western civilians happily harbouring extremist organizations. Ye, I can see why people call them scum.

• Advertisement

Lol. Let me point out the stupidity of these statement. Firstly, 'around these parts', these parts being, incidentally, an Irish forum.

You might want to reconsider what you address as "stupid" given the tripe you've just written. The internet is global, not national, and this is an Irish-based forum, and Irish-run company yes, but you'll find a great many nationalities posting here, both resident in Ireland and not resident in Ireland.

"These parts" refers to boards.ie since I do not know you from adam in real-life; I have only the drivel you post on boards.ie with which to form opinion of you and hence the choice of words. If I have offended your suave, sophisticated, leftright-wing ideology by giving you impression other than the most simple of explanation to misreading my words, may I respectfully suggest that you call someone who cares what you think, because I don't.
    Secondly, he uses my support of Sinn Fein as some sort of tool of condescension, in relation to 'these parts'. I must inform you, that Sinn Fein is now the second most popular party in the 26 Counties and has complete mandate of Irish people in the 06 Counties.

You have much to learn about politics, the politics of the republic of Ireland, the relationship between the republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, and the UK if you genuinely believe that SF are on a meteoric rise. They are not, and the only gains they have received outside of acting like chicken-hawks on poor & disadvantaged areas south of the border has been an "anybody but the regular crowd in revenge" vote. Hardly a ringing endorsement of a party that is also widely recognised as morally bankrupt, with no credible, viable policy or notions of policy outside of the "Northern Ireland question".

Ummm ..... who said I was from England now?

There's a waft of something in the air .... not sure if anyone else can smell it? As for me? I'm a card-carrying member of the anti-bullsh*t party, me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

No it isn't. It's the 4th largest national party in Ireland and can hardly be said to have immense support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Widow-of-leading-IRA-figure-faces-sexual-abuse-charges-109154639.html#ixzz1kzRcVmDV

what has that got to do with anything???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

You might want to reconsider what you address as "stupid" given the tripe you've just written. The internet is global, not national, and this is an Irish-based forum, and Irish-run company yes, but you'll find a great many nationalities posting here, both resident in Ireland and not resident in Ireland.

Just to reiterate, you insinuate that an Irishman supporting the second most popular party in Ireland, on a predominantly Irish forum, is a fringe kook. Now, don't get all huffy because I pointed that inconvenience out.

"These parts" refers to boards.ie since I do not know you from adam in real-life; I have only the drivel you post on boards.ie with which to form opinion of you and hence the choice of words. If I have offended your suave, sophisticated, leftright-wing ideology by giving you impression other than the most simple of explanation to misreading my words, may I respectfully suggest that you call someone who cares what you think, because I don't.

Ad hominem.

You have much to learn about politics, the politics of the republic of Ireland, the relationship between the republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, and the UK if you genuinely believe that SF are on a meteoric rise. They are not, and the only gains they have received outside of acting like chicken-hawks on poor & disadvantaged areas south of the border has been an "anybody but the regular crowd in revenge" vote. Hardly a ringing endorsement of a party that is also widely recognised as morally bankrupt, with no credible, viable policy or notions of policy outside of the "Northern Ireland question".

Sinn Fein is the second most popular party in Ireland.

Ummm ..... who said I was from England now?

Anglo jinjoism. Location: England. Perfectly reasonable deduction on my part, son.

There's a waft of something in the air .... not sure if anyone else can smell it? As for me? I'm a card-carrying member of the anti-bullsh*t party, me.

Ad hominem. Weak.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    No it isn't. It's the 4th largest national party in Ireland and can hardly be said to have immense support.

Sinn Fein is the second most popular party in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

That is from October 7th 2011 and has a margin of error of 3%, meaning that either of those parties could be the 2nd largest as all are within 3% of eachother. And I don't particularly care about polls. It's the last Election that matters.

Anyway it doesn't matter. The thread is about that documentary.

lol denial, denial. And lets not forget who brought the issue up, English trolls.

In regards to this programme, another thing I find hilarious even though I haven't watched it (I heard the announcer say this in the ad) is the claim that the British have the Taliban 'on the retreat'. LOL. On the retreat? The Taliban control the entire Country. In fact, a big contribution to this fact was that the British failed against them in the likes of Sangin, where the Americans had to come in to bail them out. Its just incredibly bald-faced propaganda to tell viewers, on the eve of departure , that the Taliban are finished and insinuate that this is down to Britain in large part.

lol denial, denial. And lets not forget who brought the issue up, English trolls.

errr, you perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Though not something that happened in last night's episode; the above has happened to British soldiers in recent times. I seem to recall a small snippet in a newspaper sometime mid to late last year (I could be mistaken) where a soldier was saved by his helmet taking the round fired by an insurgent, using a little girl as a human shield. The insurgent managed to get a round off because the soldier would not fire with the child there.

I read that too. A guy from the, Royal Anglian regiment, I think they're called. Showed his helmet too. Scary

Advertisement