Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Foreign Legion

Options
  • 19-05-2010 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am 27, have a degree and masters degree (in business) and am applying for an Irish Army Cadetship this year - should a Cadet Class Competition open that is. This is my plan A and after 27 years its finally what I REALLY want to do in life - as distinct from what you should do given your qualifications.

Should I not be selected or should there not be a Cadet Class, I am looking for Plan Bs. One thing I have thought of is the French Foreign Legion. I would be very keen to hear from some one who has served recently or knows someone who is serving currently. Any suggestions as to a good RECENT book about life in the FFL are also welcome.

Am I mad to even consider this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

pete_cork wrote: »
    Completely fcking nuts.Unless you have some sort of sick fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Best of luck whatever you choose. The British Army is also an option closer to home, but both are excellent options.

Wouldn't worry about digme. He's said elsewhere that he considers joining any army to be stupid, whereas I presume you're looking for perspectives on the FFL rather than any other individual army. His opinion is more general, while you've clearly decided on a military life one way or another. Good luck again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Pete go down to Cobh and have a chat with Padraig O'Keefe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

"Hidden Soldier", a book written by a Cork man of his experiences in the FFL during the late eighties early nighties is a good read. But I think things have changed a fair bit in the organisation since then.

As stated,have you thought of the British Forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

not 'recent' but bloody good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legionnaire-Years-French-Foreign-Legion/dp/0891418873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274310880&sr=1-1

(maybe by the time your 5 years are up we'll be out of recession?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

digme wrote: »
    Completely fcking nuts.Unless you have some sort of sick fetish.

Someone is about to be banned methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Steyr wrote: »
    Someone is about to be banned methinks.

I wouldn't think so...at least I don't think it would warrant a ban. Everyone has heard stories of friends of friend who have joined the FFL after all, and invariably those friends are crazy son's of bitches.

I do actually know of one guy who joined a few years back, just disappeared for a couple of years, came back after like 6 years randomly. He was well known to be a little off his rocker before going. Have never had a prolonged conversation with him TBH, but he has the look of someone with a bit of the crazy eye TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Have you considered the BA? If you want to go to the commisioned route and the DF doesn't work out then it's probably your best bet.

I'm almost certain you can't join the FFL as a commissioned officer. Also given the age for joining as a soldier seems to be lower than that of an officer (in general - I don't know about the FFL) you may be too old.

I'm not trying to push you away from it, in fact I wish you the best of luck but just make sure you meet the initial eligibility requirements before getting your hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im sure the age limit for joining the FFL is pretty high. Also the officers are mainly french though i think it's possible for a soldier to progress to a commisioned officer although they'd probably have to be in the FFL for a long time.

Another good book is "The Naked Soldier" by Tony Sloane. Worth reading because he gives a good honest account rather than exaggerating.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naked-Soldier-French-Foreign-Legion/dp/190413291X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Im sure the age limit for joining the FFL is pretty high. Also the officers are mainly french though i think it's possible for a soldier to progress to a commisioned officer although they'd probably have to be in the FFL for a long time.

AFAIK you actually have to be French to hold a commisssion no matter how long you've been in!! All officers (FFL and French Army) are trained at the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr so I don't think it's possible even if you're Rambo!

OP would you really be comfortable in the legion? No phone, no bank, no car no girlfriend etc allowed for the first five years :eek: That might be ok when you're 18 but at 27 it might be tough, no? I have no personal experience of it but the general consensus I get is that it's not the greatest lifestyle in the world.

I think somebody of your education and age would really be suited to a Cadetship which I know you're going for. That's not to say that just because you have a degree you'll be a good officer or that people with degrees have to be officers either, it's more your mindset and life experience that tend to point you towards a certain role. I think going from a Cadetship in the DF to rank and file in the FFL is a considerable leap. Would you not consider the BA? Or failing that applying for recruit training within the DF before trying the legion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I wouldn't think so...at least I don't think it would warrant a ban.

I dunno man, his posts in AH went a bit ott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

piby wrote: »
    AFAIK you actually have to be French to hold a commisssion no matter how long you've been in!! All officers (FFL and French Army) are trained at the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr so I don't think it's possible even if you're Rambo!

Legionnaires can be given French citizenship after the initial 5 years i think so this is possibly how they would get around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Legionnaires can be given French citizenship after the initial 5 years i think so this is possibly how they would get around that.

Ah I see although I believe you have to renounce citizenship of your own country correct? Either or, it's still a long road for the OP if he goes down that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Canis_Lupus

You should check out the FFL forum at http://www.cervens.net/legionbbs123/forum.php

Theres alot of useful information on there that I found helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

AFAIK you actually have to be French to hold a commisssion no matter how long you've been in!!

From reading Simon Murray's book you had to renounce your citizenship to get to a rank above Captian. Also according to the Legions own website 1 in 10 officers in the FFL were once Legionnaires.
    Unless you have no problem giving up everything about your own current life and can take being treated terribly for 5 years I'd think about another plan B if I was you. Give the BA a call they'll get back to you straight away with your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Simon Murrays book is absolutely excellent, however, that info is 50 years old and may be out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

OP would you really be comfortable in the legion? No phone, no bank, no car no girlfriend etc allowed for the first five years :eek: That might be ok when you're 18 but at 27 it might be tough, no? I have no personal experience of it but the general consensus I get is that it's not the greatest lifestyle in the world.

I think somebody of your education and age would really be suited to a Cadetship which I know you're going for. That's not to say that just because you have a degree you'll be a good officer or that people with degrees have to be officers either, it's more your mindset and life experience that tend to point you towards a certain role. I think going from a Cadetship in the DF to rank and file in the FFL is a considerable leap. Would you not consider the BA? Or failing that applying for recruit training within the DF before trying the legion?

Foreigners can now adays become officers in the legion.

As for not allowed to get married for 5 yrs, yes thats the rule. Why bother with all that nonsense when you can see more combat with the Brits without all that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

To the above in bold, as much as ive read suggests this is only for the first year whilst under an assumed name, if you go back to your own ID after the first year the above doesnt apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

pete_cork wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 27, have a degree and masters degree (in business) and am applying for an Irish Army Cadetship this year - should a Cadet Class Competition open that is. This is my plan A and after 27 years its finally what I REALLY want to do in life - as distinct from what you should do given your qualifications.

Should I not be selected or should there not be a Cadet Class, I am looking for Plan Bs. One thing I have thought of is the French Foreign Legion. I would be very keen to hear from some one who has served recently or knows someone who is serving currently. Any suggestions as to a good RECENT book about life in the FFL are also welcome.

With an education like yours I would imagine getting a green card to work in America ( or anywhere else ) would not be much of a problem. Once your there I would imagine you could then sign up for the Yanks ? Manic Moran might be able to tell you something on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Son Of Eire

Im 19 living in Cork City Im flying to Paris in March to sign up, I dont know much much about the Legion but I do no this The Foreign Legion are known as being one of the most feared brutal fighting forces around the globe. I dont think that if your in search of a job in the military that you should be thinking of joining the FFL, when joining you should be thinking only about one thing not your family, not your phones and not your pay, you should just be thinking of becoming a legionaire. Now Im just still a youngfella still naive but thats my outlook on it. and I shall see for myself what its all about soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Practice this phrase.

Ou Est FORT DE NOGENT s'il voús plait.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Seems theres 2 discussions on boards with the same title, I posted this in the other so forgive me for repeating it here but it migh be of some little benefit to those who are considering signing up with the FFL

http://french-foreign-legion.com/
    http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/?SM=0

Couple of links that might help those with a desire to join up. Take note of Article 7 of the Leigonnaires Code of Honour:-
    "In combat you act without passion or hatred. You respect vanquished enemies. You never surrender your dead, your wounded, or your weapons."

Best of luck to those that decide to enlist, if you have the opportunity take it but dont expect a walk in the woods there was a programme on TV a couple of years ago about the Legion which showed how life was in it, not easy but excellent military training.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Im going to PM you. Its hard to find reliable info on the legion. I'll tell you what info I got from asking an actual legionnaire. most of what you will hear and find on the internet is total bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Im 19 living in Cork City Im flying to Paris in March to sign up, I dont know much much about the Legion but I do no this The Foreign Legion are known as being one of the most feared brutal fighting forces around the globe. I dont think that if your in search of a job in the military that you should be thinking of joining the FFL, when joining you should be thinking only about one thing not your family, not your phones and not your pay, you should just be thinking of becoming a legionaire. Now Im just still a youngfella still naive but thats my outlook on it. and I shall see for myself what its all about soon enough.

Case and point of my last comment. Naivety surrounds people joining it. Its not elite. Its not all its cracked up to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Hey lads I just came across this thread, I'm not joining up but have a keen interest in the military etc. How does one go about joining up ?. Can an ex member of the RDF join up ?. Where does one to go to sign up and how long is the recruitment process ? :) Thanks

Hey lads I just came across this thread, I'm not joining up but have a keen interest in the military etc. How does one go about joining up ?. Can an ex member of the RDF join up ?. Where does one to go to sign up and how long is the recruitment process ? :) Thanks

Joining the FFL is only open to french people.
    It is closed to former members of other military forces.
    You can only join in Morocco.
    The recruitment process takes 20 seconds.

Now read the thread you lazy f%^&$

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you are in for a rough ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Joining the FFL is only open to french people.
    It is closed to former members of other military forces.
    You can only join in Morocco.
    The recruitment process takes 20 seconds.

Now read the thread you lazy f%^&$

only French people can join the French Foreign legion?

whoosh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you are in for a rough ride.

Only 1 in 7 who apply are accepted nowadays, without a military background or a word of french, the odds are against him.

Someone who has been in the FCA/RDF, has learned French for 6 months, has read about the Legion and knows the ins and outs etc and knows to expect a rough time, has worked on their fitness would have a much higher chance of success and be a far more realistic candidate.....common sense really.

Advertisement