Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting for good

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 baby s

Cool Sticky McGinty, Ill give them a look, give me something to do! I'm just pacing my apartment at the moment waiting to go, apparantly there is a match on in Thomand and traffic in is nuts so not point going in, so all the waiting around is doing my head in, and of course I found a cigarette in my drawer! (sods law really if i was still smoking and had ran out do you think I would be lucky enough to find a smoke in a drawer I didnt know it was there?!!) I cant bring myself to throw it in the bin just yet, but I think ill go make more tea and more sambos for myself to keep occupied! And look and the vids!!! Thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭sarah101

Hang in there baby s. You are doing really well. Keep telling yourself you are a non smoker. Dont use the phrase "giving up" because that suggests you are depriving yourself of something. You are a non smoker.
    Day six for me. Actually found today the hardest so far but think its because it is first day as a not smoker not spent in work. House is shining, kept myself super busy all day cleaning.
    starting to feel physically much healthier already. sense of taste much improved, have had to turn down strength on coffee machine, couldnt drink it this morning it was so strong. so now going to be saving money on coffee beans too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

near the end of day 6.
    Today wasn't bad.
    not looking forward to tomorow as it is poker night.
    have to face it though no point in avoiding it.
    have to say havnt noticed any of this taste improving , feeling better or any of that.

I'm sad to say I didnt make it through the weekend:mad: I cracked after having a few drinks and smoked 4 cigarettes over the night. Raging with myself.

So now I am back down to day 2. Congrats to all who had a smoking free weekend, and to anyone like my good self who fell off the wagon and and got an awful bang, here's to putting on a bandage and getting back up there! Day 2 - smoke free:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

baby s wrote: »
    I'm sad to say I didnt make it through the weekend:mad: I cracked after having a few drinks and smoked 4 cigarettes over the night. Raging with myself.

So now I am back down to day 2. Congrats to all who had a smoking free weekend, and to anyone like my good self who fell off the wagon and and got an awful bang, here's to putting on a bandage and getting back up there! Day 2 - smoke free:o

Baby s - fair play for getting back on that wagon - would you not avoid booze for the first couple of weekends to give yourself a real fighting chance?

I deliberately avoided going out the last 2 weekends then tested myself with 2 small glasses of wine at home last night and felt grand.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Hey username 123, thats a good idea! It was a girls night I wanted to go on ;) Thought I would get through it as only one of the girls going smokes! Lesson learned, I wont be out again until the end of Feb, so hopefully that will be the fighting chance you speak of!!! Im well p**** off I'm back down to day 2!

Fair play Sarah 101, I have to say I found day 6 the hardest too! Did you get through the weekend? How are you finding it now?

And I agree Jem dont notice any taste difference at all, but I did find it a bit easier out walking, didnt hurt my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Hi to all on the quitting journey. I lasted 5 days cold turkey. Day 6 was a full wedding day and I crashed. But I am back on the wagon for the last 48 hours cold turkey, feeling good this time, I get a lot of encouragement reading the posts. So keep it up everyone I need your support.

I think I was so afraid of failure that I deliberately tried to give myself every helping hand possible - ie, no drinking for a few weeks. I was afraid Id just break as soon as I had a drink.

I was also afraid Id snatch the cigarette out of the hand of random smokers I saw outside shops or on the street. Thankfully, I havent felt that urge either lol!!!

Day 17 and Im off to the dentist this morning - its actually nice and non stressful not having to have a cigarette and then eat mints/chew gum to take the smell off before opening wide for the dentist!!!

Hi all on day 9 and thankfully still going.
    Got through poker synday night and went for a pint last night. made sure was with non smokers which helped.
    couple of events comming up in the next week or two so have to get used to idea of having a pint without a smoke.
    best of luck to all trying/ doing!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Any of you using substitutes like patches etc, just wondering,really want to quit but dont feel I could go cold turkey, setting myself this Sat as my first day quitting, should i get patches etc, do they really help?

• Advertisement

Hi
    I am just using the nicoret plastic cig, while she who must be obayed is using the patch as well.
    I find the plactic cig works well and helps when I need it.
    Best of Luck
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

bobster453 wrote: »
    Any of you using substitutes like patches etc, just wondering,really want to quit but dont feel I could go cold turkey, setting myself this Sat as my first day quitting, should i get patches etc, do they really help?

Niquitin Mini's are very good imo. Off since June last year and spend about €50 less a week (probably considering I only go to the bank machine once a week now instead of everyday or every other day)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Niquitin Minis..I take it they are cigarettes you smoke without all the chemicals, different than ecigs etc?

I bought the plastic inhaler this time around as the last couple of times I tried to quit cold turkey, I found it really hard.
    Personally I didnt find it that good. It helped through the very first day maybe to get over the "fright" of realising I wasn't going to smoke again:D

But its only €15 or thereabouts to buy an inhaler so not harm in trying for yourself as I think its a matter of opinion, some people find it great and others think its rubbish! I would recommend the Alan Carr book though if you have not read that already, it works for alot of people and did for me for a time but foolishly I delibrately smoked again so its my own fault I went back on them.

Either way will power is the big thing! Best of luck and keep us in the loop with your progress, it helps to hear other peoples stories of success:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭sarah101

Hi folks.
    Got through the weekend fine but was not out for drink, that will be the next real test. Took my two sons out for nice day out and treated them with some of the oney saved from not smoking.
    Day 9 now and feeling good. Find evenings the toughest when i am not as busy.
    Well done Baby s for quitting again straight away. Dont be disheartened.
    Hope everyone else keeping strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

i'm using nicorette 15mg invisi patch. It's hard to know if they help or not but I think they do as I am doing ok. Not thinking about smoking as much as I thought as I would be. My cravings seem to be subconscious, like, when I finished my dinner this eve, I had a thought "ok ciggy?", then I was like, doh, i'm off them. But it was more of a subconscious thought than a craving, if you understand me - can anyone relate to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Niquitin Minis..I take it they are cigarettes you smoke without all the chemicals, different than ecigs etc?

No they are just mints (about size of a tic tac) but are excellent at taking the edge off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Hi everyone!

How're ye all getting on? Hope everyone's doing ok.

I'm on day 9.... yehhh!

I used to smoke roughly 25b&h a day. My hubbie smoked roughly the same as me and he's also off them with me... so at least we have the support of each other to keep going!! We both gave them up in 2008, hubbie lasted a couple of months and I lasted a year! I can't believe I went back on them after a year, what an idiot!!!! :mad: So here we are again!!!! Trying our best to stick with it. We're using the 25mg patches, the 16hr ones (find them better than the 24hr ones, I used to get really horrible nightmares when I used the 24hr ones!)

Need to keep the mind positive... think of all the good things about getting rid of the cigs..... for me, one of the biggest motivations is the money we'll save! (and of course our health!!!) Between myself and my other half we were spending at least 20quid a day on cigs. That's 140euro a week! That's 560 a month!! That's 6,720 a year!!! ..... I could go on and on!!!! :D But seriously, that's AT LEAST 3 foreign holidays a year! crazy stuff when you really think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

I'm actually on day 10 not day 9!!!! Jaesus I was selling myself short there for a minute!! :)

awman wrote: »
    I'm actually on day 10 not day 9!!!! Jaesus I was selling myself short there for a minute!! :)

lol - congrats on your extra day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Hi all, hope everyone is staying strong!

I'm on day 13 now, can't believe it will be 2 weeks tomorrow. In one way it seems like I haven't smoked in years but in another it seems like time has flown.

Its far easier now, I don't think about them even a fraction as much as i did a week ago, and when I do they leave my thoughts as fast as they entered. Just have to be careful not to become complacent and "just have 1".

Well done to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

awman wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

How're ye all getting on? Hope everyone's doing ok.

I'm on day 9.... yehhh!

I used to smoke roughly 25b&h a day. My hubbie smoked roughly the same as me and he's also off them with me... so at least we have the support of each other to keep going!! We both gave them up in 2008, hubbie lasted a couple of months and I lasted a year! I can't believe I went back on them after a year, what an idiot!!!! :mad: So here we are again!!!! Trying our best to stick with it. We're using the 25mg patches, the 16hr ones (find them better than the 24hr ones, I used to get really horrible nightmares when I used the 24hr ones!)

Need to keep the mind positive... think of all the good things about getting rid of the cigs..... for me, one of the biggest motivations is the money we'll save! (and of course our health!!!) Between myself and my other half we were spending at least 20quid a day on cigs. That's 140euro a week! That's 560 a month!! That's 6,720 a year!!! ..... I could go on and on!!!! :D But seriously, that's AT LEAST 3 foreign holidays a year! crazy stuff when you really think about it!

If you can afford it put all the money you would of spent on cigarettes in a money box and go for a weekend away in a while that what im doing.Its Shocking looking at all the money in the box i have 170 euro in it and the month is not even over:eek::eek:

If you can afford it put all the money you would of spent on cigarettes in a money box and go for a weekend away in a while that what im doing.Its Shocking looking at all the money in the box i have 170 euro in it and the month is not even over:eek::eek:

Ive bought 5 books on amazon, a perfume on ebay and a pair of boots on ebay so far - and its still not a months cigarette money.

But I intend to stop treating myself in February - I cant justify quitting smoking to save money then spending it all on nice presents for me lol!!!

DAY 5, D`ont know what happened but I am finding it a less of a struggle this time. I just zombied out some times when the head was fuzzy and I had no energy. Just sat there and said this is it, this is detox, cant say I enjoyed it but I accepted it.
    Spaghetti bolognese and other greasey food brought on heavy cravings.
    Blueberry juice, prune juice, cranberry juice and oj are my buddys.
    Stopped most suger snacks, no coffee or tea or alcohol.
    May sound over the top to some but if you seen me at 7.30am coughing and choking with a fag in hand.
    This thread has and will be a great help and inspiration,so dont stop posting ,keep your eye on the ball, because addictions can be very tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

DAY 5, D`ont know what happened but I am finding it a less of a struggle this time. I just zombied out some times when the head was fuzzy and I had no energy. Just sat there and said this is it, this is detox, cant say I enjoyed it but I accepted it.
    Spaghetti bolognese and other greasey food brought on heavy cravings.
    Blueberry juice, prune juice, cranberry juice and oj are my buddys.
    Stopped most suger snacks, no coffee or tea or alcohol.
    May sound over the top to some but if you seen me at 7.30am coughing and choking with a fag in hand.
    This thread has and will be a great help and inspiration,so dont stop posting ,keep your eye on the ball, because addictions can be very tricky.

Hi, well done. how long were you smoking for and how many a day?
    You know what your triggers are so you should do what ever you have to do to avoid a fall, especially in the first few weeks.
    Are you using any NRT?

howdy everyone!

well im on day 6 of attempt "2" after the tumble off the wagon I took last sat night. I dont know what it is about day 6 but once again I find myself desperate for a cigarette today, after having found it easier this week. Heads wrecked!
    Congrats to everyone still going, I have to say the dreaded thought, just one has been pacing my mind all day!! Ill battle on:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezryder

Hi All,

I'm on day 4...cant believe I lasted even this long, it's literally hour by hour for me.

I was 20+ a day and am going 'cold turkey'. I think the worst thing for me is the thought of the wkend and having nothing to look forward to i.e. watching dvd with OH, glasss of wine and of course the fag! Sad way to spend a wkend i know!!

Keep telling myself not to quit being a quitter!!!

Well done to all.

Day 20 here and tomorrow will be what I consider to be a landmark day for me, Day 21. I still havent told too many people, but after tomorrow I think I will be ok with people knowing.

My next personal milestone that I look forward to getting to is 3 months.

I attended a funeral today and during the after part I passed through a group of people and a man smelt very strongly of smoke, it wasnt nice. That used to be me. It was again a pleasure to not have to figure out when to be smoking, in the past it would have been 'try have one before the church, try to get out of the church quick at the end to have one, try have one before the tea and sandwiches'.....and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezryder

It was again a pleasure to not have to figure out when to be smoking, in the past it would have been 'try have one before the church, try to get out of the church quick at the end to have one, try have one before the tea and sandwiches'.....and so on.

Oh yes i can totally relate to that...even after only 4 days i seem to have loads more time on my hands because i'm not constantly going out to have one...wasnt expecting that, on the down side more time to be thinking about them too :(

• Advertisement

Hi, well done. how long were you smoking for and how many a day?
    You know what your triggers are so you should do what ever you have to do to avoid a fall, especially in the first few weeks.
    Are you using any NRT?

Smoking for 25 years, 20 fags a day, cold turkey all the way. Depressed today but thats part of the course. I found afirmations helpful, even simple ones like" I dont want to smoke". I find the mental addiction hardest part. So another thing I say to myself is "A smoke wont make anything better just a lot worse". A little mantra will go a long way.
    Oh I get what I call echos after meals and at certain times, time for a smoke, I stop and think thats not me, thats an automatic echo. The mind playing tricks. Not to take it seriously and smile at it. This addiction is very tricky, it will leave you alone for a while even days and than sucker punch you, could be in an argument or an acute bout of depression it will come back and hit you strong. So I will be keeping the gloves up for a good few weeks yet.

Advertisement