Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One way to promote your band.

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dublin-rock-band-defend-gerry-ryan-dead-junkie-t-shirts-as-legitimate-point-2992425.html

Quote:

"A DUBLIN band has caused controversy with T shirts emblazoned with the band’s name, but bearing a photo of the late Gerry Ryan, with the slogan ‘Just another dead junkie’."

I think the band make some good points in the article. Crass self promotion through shock tactics or the politicization and hardline attitude of music starting to emerge similar to that seen in the economic depression of the '70s and '80s?

If so, it's about bloody time. More music with soul and balls and conscience please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I seen this yesterday and no part of me thought it was "rock n roll" - just very poor taste.

Don't worry lads ye'll go a long way with that attitude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

What's your opinion on Sid Vicious sporting a swastika?

nancysid_471.jpg

That became an icon in itself.
    If only a cartoon one at that.

sidbendy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

They are making a point, he is hailed as a hero , he did so many drugs they killed him, im not one to have a problem with drugs but the thing is he was , if it was brought up on his show they would be condemned.

What Im trying to say is you cant make a point these days without someone saying its in bad taste.
    Its a good point they made fair play to them for showing some nuts. I am now going to find their music to see if they are good.

Just a train of thought I was having and not necessarily my opinion but you can say there is an elite class on this island and they are afforded status and reputation that they may not be entirely deserving of. IE these z-list celebs that get their own tv shows, the ****e that's put on our tv screens and said to us to be entertainment. The lies such as Cowen being proclaimed a master of his brief when he so clearly wasn't and the media's full coercion in this, instead of being the independent view on society keeping the politicians and so on in check.

In other words corruption in an elite class that treats other people on the island as lesser mortals who are held in contempt. Well, fúck that. It's time to give some back and it's time to show the contempt with which these elite classes are viewed by those they believe themselves to be the betters of. So if your feelings are hurt, tough ****. you've become corrupted through power and deserve the contempt you receive.

*btw, I haven't slept in about 48 hrs so the above may be a garbled mess. It seemed right while I pondered on it earlier :D

Yeah you should prob get a power nap in dude , if i was passing a shop selling them t shirts and they were a reasonable price andi had the money id buy one fair play to them , cant find any of their music on youtube though.

• Advertisement

I think I saw a link earlier. Give us a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I never had much time for Jerry Ryan, IMO this band might be better off putting their energies into their music. If they have to go to these sort of tactics (regardless of whether it's in good taste or not), rather than their music to gain publicity, then it does not say much about their musical talent.

FWIW, I think it was in bad taste. In the article, they themselves said these facts were well documented and in the public domain. That is correct, and all the more reason to let the man rest in peace. :rolleyes:

Who's to say it's tactics? Is everything solely designed towards getting money these days? Have Market forces seeped that far into everyones lives?

Incidentally: They have a bandcamp http://crows.bandcamp.com/

Who's to say it's tactics? Is everything solely designed towards getting money these days? Have Market forces seeped that far into everyones lives?

A resounding YES on all points. ;)

They are doing this to promote their band, I assume. Why do they want to promote their band ? Are you saying that money is not the reason ?

Rigsby wrote: »
    A resounding YES on all points. ;)

Pffft. I will have to disagree sir. Never underestimate the idealism and goals of the next generation on its way up. There's always revolution and it's unfair and arrogant to assume that the generation younger than us is as cynical and jaded as we are.

• Advertisement

Pffft. I will have to disagree sir. Never underestimate the idealism and goals of the next generation on its way up. There's always revolution and it's unfair and arrogant to assume that the generation younger than us is as cynical and jaded as we are.

You are entitled to your opinion... sir !! ;)

My point is that IMO this sort of "promotion" is geared towards people who might have the same opinion about Gerry Ryan. This will most likely be followed by people checking out their music, followed by people buying ( they hope ) their albums.

No thoughts of money involved ???? I doubt it very much. :)

Well then Squire, we shall have to agree to disagree. Something I could not in good faith adhere to!
    I see your point of course. I'll hold judgement though until I've checked out the band and their backstory (some of their tunes got a good review off someone i know who's usually a good judge) and their tunes. I still hope that money isn't the main driving force.

There music is a bit heavy for my liking , im not sure though all i can seem to hear is a very aggressive guitar that seems to be way louder than anything else, im not into that sort of music so this could be great id have no idea.
    I have however just found out my 1 year old son really likes very heavy metal , Id say its just a phase though.
    Maybe they should do a heavy metal tellytubbies type thing, see if it works.

Yes. Lots of people checking out their music just because of this thread alone. If it had not been for the type of promotion, I wonder how many would have bothered ?

I have to admit that from a business point of view, full marks to the band. At the same time, using a deceased person who is no longer here to defend himself and answer to his critics, for their own gain, is to me simply pathetic.

Yes. Lots of people checking out their music just because of this thread alone. If it had not been for the type of promotion, I wonder how many would have bothered ?

I have to admit that from a business point of view, full marks to the band. At the same time, using a deceased person who is no longer here to defend himself and answer to his critics, for their own gain, is to me simply pathetic.
    If he was still here now hed prob pretend to go into rehab,, spend 6 years talking about the horrors of drugs and carry on as normal.
    And whats so wrong with what they did, They did something kinda artistic so people checked out their other art. Its a pity i think their t shirt art is better than their music art but maybe people who like that sort of music will be very happy they found this band. Gerry ryan is just another dead junkie, probably a nice fella /probably not doesnt matter, he is not the role model and great hero he is being touted as .
    The band made a point, itd be different if they all just wore "im glad gerry ryan is dead " t shirts , thats what you call shameless publicity whoring ,

cloptrop wrote: »
    If he was still here now hed prob pretend to go into rehab,, spend 6 years talking about the horrors of drugs and carry on as normal.
    And whats so wrong with what they did, They did something kinda artistic so people checked out their other art. Its a pity i think their t shirt art is better than their music art but maybe people who like that sort of music will be very happy they found this band. Gerry ryan is just another dead junkie, probably a nice fella /probably not doesnt matter, he is not the role model and great hero he is being touted as .
    The band made a point, itd be different if they all just wore "im glad gerry ryan is dead " t shirts , thats what you call shameless publicity whoring ,

As raindog. promo would say...."we'll have to agree to disagree squire !"

Also, for the record, I said in an earlier post that I never had much time for Gerry Ryan, never liked the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I still think it's disgusting, personally.

If you need to desecrate a grave in order to shift some CD's, you must be a new type of desperate in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Beside a description of the T shirt on the band’s website they offer the explanation: “Gerry Ryan was a greedy motherf*cker who got what he deserved in the end.”

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dublin-rock-band-defend-gerry-ryan-dead-junkie-t-shirts-as-legitimate-point-2992425.html

Just as bad IMO. If they were just "making a point", how about just saying it instead. Oh yea, cos its all about self promotion, not making a point. Personally I was brought up not to show disrespect to the dead, no matter what they did in their lives. Everyone supporting them, I wonder how different it would be if it was your father who lost the battle against drugs having his face on this shirt. Maybe they wouldnt be such heroes then eh?

Fandango wrote: »
    Beside a description of the T shirt on the band’s website they offer the explanation: “Gerry Ryan was a greedy motherf*cker who got what he deserved in the end.”

Just as bad IMO. If they were just "making a point", how about just saying it instead. Oh yea, cos its all about self promotion, not making a point. Personally I was brought up not to show disrespect to the dead, no matter what they did in their lives. Everyone supporting them, I wonder how different it would be if it was your father who lost the battle against drugs having his face on this shirt. Maybe they wouldnt be such heroes then eh?
    Ah but if it was my father on the shirt it wouldnt make a point, ye see, if my father died from drugs he would just be a statistic or if you may another dead junkie, thats the point of the shirt ,

Fandango wrote: »

Was there any claims that they were heroes?
    I'd love a discussion that looks at the topic subjectively and discusses the surrounding points and thoughts and philosophical quandries raised.
    Why every single thing have to involve the "think of the children brigade" and the morally self righteous pointing the finger and ironically turning the discussion hostile happens far too often.

For the record, I couldn't care less about Gerry Ryan positively or negatively. His actions in life were indeed hypocritical as most people's are.

I'd like to ask if other musicians in this forum can see local music becoming more politically charged and aggressive, citing social issues as opposed to that days trend, due to the effects being felt and that will continue to be felt for quite a while due to the economic downturn?

Maybe I didn't phrase that right in the OP.

• Advertisement

Ah but if it was my father on the shirt it wouldnt make a point, ye see, if my father died from drugs he would just be a statistic or if you may another dead junkie, thats the point of the shirt ,

I think you are missing the point here. If it was your father's face on the shirt in this manner, regardless of who is making or not making a point, how would you feel ?

It would make me feel bad. But the beatles made millions of middle americans feel bad with the whole bigger than jesus thing, and imagine how george bushs kids must feel, oh and madonna really pissed off nearly every priest around with the like a virgin video, <or whichever one had the religeous stuff in it> you could go on and on and on about people getting annoyed at art/music/pop culture , but you cant stop it.
    Sometimes it makes people feel bad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

rain on wrote: »

If you are explaining, you are losing. I think they are afraid that the whole thing might back fire on them.

"The t-shirt is to be consumed in relation with our new record (not yet gone to press)"

The above is a quote from the article. Am I being naive, or is it just a coincidence that they decided to "make a point" with the T shirt, just before their new record is due to be released. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

hardly current either, maybe their next t-shirt will feature Angie Vs Jen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Meh, anything goes for me.

0001d0be0D2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I think you are missing the point here. If it was your father's face on the shirt in this manner, regardless of who is making or not making a point, how would you feel ?

Thats a terrible point, thats basically asking, if you had a personal interest that swayed your reasonable opinion...how would you feel?

Reading this thread is hilarious. I really dont think its as much of a social commentary or disillusioned youth in revolt type statement as some of you seem to think. If you want to get more of a background on this check up on www.moshspace.com, its where the band often post and will give you a bit of an idea of the context this in which this was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Was there any claims that they were heroes?
    I'd love a discussion that looks at the topic subjectively and discusses the surrounding points and thoughts and philosophical quandries raised.
    Why every single thing have to involve the "think of the children brigade" and the morally self righteous pointing the finger and ironically turning the discussion hostile happens far too often.

For the record, I couldn't care less about Gerry Ryan positively or negatively. His actions in life were indeed hypocritical as most people's are.

I'd like to ask if other musicians in this forum can see local music becoming more politically charged and aggressive, citing social issues as opposed to that days trend, due to the effects being felt and that will continue to be felt for quite a while due to the economic downturn?

Maybe I didn't phrase that right in the OP.

Look at their facebook page. There are many claims that they are heroes. This has nothing to do with any "think of the children brigade" nonesense, its simple common decency!

Advertisement