Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix now available on this side of the pond.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

People on 3G seriously need to test their internet on speedtest to see how patetic mobile internet is. It's discusting to see how they're being conned by these mobile companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭long_b

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just give up, Netflix is never going to work right on mobile, it's not what the mobile network is designed for. It's designed for occasional browsing and email checking, nothing more. It's not really broadband (why it's called midband here on boards and has it's own forum separate from broadband) and it would be a fantastic mobile service if people didn't use it as a real fixed broadband substitute.

The Android app is meant to be used over wifi on a decent connection

It works fine when I use my iP4 as a hotspot for my Touchpad - it must be something Meteor's doing (like disallowing ports perhaps ?).

Trust me, I know mobile data can be dodgy at times and places but our point is that it's not working AT ALL (as in big dirty error message) on Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

No Monkey Magic - BOOOOO.
    Actually, just did a quick search of some of the kids favourites to reveal very little. Castle in the sky, Spirited away, even Harry Potter gets nothing. Or am I not searching right?

Signed up and will give it a go at home later. I'll stream it via the WD Live I bought recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

long_b wrote: »
    Just give up, Netflix is never going to work right on mobile, it's not what the mobile network is designed for. It's designed for occasional browsing and email checking, nothing more. It's not really broadband (why it's called midband here on boards and has it's own forum separate from broadband) and it would be a fantastic mobile service if people didn't use it as a real fixed broadband substitute.

It works fine when I use my iP4 as a hotspot for my Touchpad - it must be something Meteor's doing (like disallowing ports perhaps ?).

Trust me, I know mobile data can be dodgy at times and places but our point is that it's not working AT ALL (as in big dirty error message) on Meteor.

Works fine on my sensation on meteor. Maybe its your fruit phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Good, lets hope Vodafone also block it on mobile as my phone is with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

does anyone know about quality on the mobile? does it take it from your settings on the desktop website or does it have its own config somewhere that im missing?

Random wrote: »
    does anyone know about quality on the mobile? does it take it from your settings on the desktop website or does it have its own config somewhere that im missing?

I think it automatically adjusts the quality depending on speed available. I would hope that they lower it just so you wouldnt use up all your data in 5 mins. Though having the option would be nice too.

Its one of those apps that actually doesnt have any settings for it lol. Spent more than usual trying to find settings with no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Can anyone tell me if Netflex purely streaming or can you download and watch movies later also?

sean72 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Netflex purely streaming or can you download and watch movies later also?

Streaming only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Pure streaming (and pure something else too ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Streaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Let me guess - it costs more than the US version while providing less content?

Robdude wrote: »

It costs 7 quid, How much is an Xtravision rental? I have to say I did expect at least 15 but 7 is a nice price. The content will improve, it's early days, there are few UK TV networks onboard yet

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Just give up, Netflix is never going to work right on mobile,

Watched netflix on the bus into work this morning, without as much as a single skip or pause or degradation in picture quality. SGS2 on Meteor network.

50 minutes of Top Gear cost about 170 MiB so it's not something you could do every day with a 1 GiB/month limit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Robdude wrote: »

nobody is forcing you to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It costs 7 quid, How much is an Xtravision rental? I have to say I did expect at least 15 but 7 is a nice price. The content will improve, it's early days, there are few UK TV networks onboard yet
    I fecking love it. Watched a few documenteries last night that I never heard of and they where brilliant. Some good films from yesteryear.

backboiler wrote: »
    Watched netflix on the bus into work this morning, without as much as a single skip or pause or degradation in picture quality. SGS2 on Meteor network.

50 minutes of Top Gear cost about 170 MiB so it's not something you could do every day with a 1 GiB/month limit though.

Yes, this is the very reason why it should be blocked on all mobile networks. It's not what they were designed for which is browsing and email on the move, not a fixed broadband substitute. Just one user in an area will make the network crawl for everyone as with mobile broadband there is no control over speed, contention or roaming. The only control they have is the monthly limit. The speeds quoted on mobile are what the sector is capable of (with a single user, in a lab). Even the fixed providers will have problems with the likes of this, only UPC, Cablesurf and a very few others in this country are actually ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

backboiler wrote: »

Yes, this is the very reason why it should be blocked on all mobile networks. It's not what they were designed for which is browsing and email on the move, not a fixed broadband substitute. Just one user in an area will make the network crawl for everyone as with mobile broadband there is no control over speed, contention or roaming. The only control they have is the monthly limit. The speeds quoted on mobile are what the sector is capable of (with a single user, in a lab). Even the fixed providers will have problems with the likes of this, only UPC, Cablesurf and a very few others in this country are actually ready for it.
    Three gives unlimited internet on contract and unlimited Internet on prepay when you top up 20euro... There are already thousands of people using phones as a "broadband" by downloading stuff and using phone for thetering...I'm on net nonstop and download plenty of stuff via youtube and other websites, and netflix will be another one to use.

iwo wrote: »
    Three gives unlimited internet on contract and unlimited Internet on prepay when you top up 20euro... There are already thousands of people using phones as a "broadband" by downloading stuff and using phone for thetering...I'm on net nonstop and download plenty of stuff via youtube and other websites, and netflix will be another one to use.

Ok, we'll see how long the 3 network is usable. Mobile internet will never be broadband, it's a pity people in this country rely on it. Blame consecutive Governments for not having a clue or giving a shít, this one is no better.

Ok, we'll see how long the 3 network is usable. Mobile internet will never be broadband, it's a pity people in this country rely on it. Blame consecutive Governments for not having a clue or giving a shít, this one is no better.

Pog, do you want to let the networks worry about this themselves ?

• Advertisement

Hence the reason why i switched away from Three. Got pretty sick of 50-100 kbps speeds. Theres way too many people using their network for things that midband isnt meant for and their network cant support it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm happy to say I'm a cable surf customer!

157.5 Mbps download speed!

Pog, do you want to let the networks worry about this themselves ?

No, I use my phone for important stuff on the go, work emails, Google documents and other important stuff. I'd like to see the networks block it so the service I'm getting remains usable. I know the limits of a mobile network, it's not designed for this or even Youtube for that matter. There is no making the mobile networks better, increasing backhaul doesn't fix it, to do this they need to use more wireless spectrum which isn't available. It only slows things down for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm happy to say I'm a cable surf customer!

157.5 Mbps download speed!

notbadobama.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm not comparing it to Xtravision - I'm comparing the price and content you'd get on the US plan verse the EU plan.

It's the internet. Your physical location doesn't matter. They can't even (accurately) determine your physical location.

I'd rather pay 7.99 USD than 6.99 EUR - and that's assuming all of the content is identical.

No, I use my phone for important stuff on the go, work emails, Google documents and other important stuff. I'd like to see the networks block it so the service I'm getting remains usable. I know the limits of a mobile network, it's not designed for this or even Youtube for that matter. There is no making the mobile networks better, increasing backhaul doesn't fix it, to do this they need to use more wireless spectrum which isn't available. It only slows things down for everyone

But they're already flogging USB dongles by the new time which are (marketed anyway) as high speed Internet access.

They sell 10 and 15 GB data add ons to regular mobile customers -
    they know the score.

I get your point but I'd be of the opinion "If you can't provide it don't sell it"

But they're already flogging USB dongles by the new time which are (marketed anyway) as high speed Internet access.

They sell 10 and 15 GB data add ons to regular mobile customers -
    they know the score.

I get your point but I'd be of the opinion "If you can't provide it don't sell it"

Which is exactly why I'll never be a 3 customer. They have a long history of overselling their products to non-usable levels. I've been here on Boards a long while, I've seen all the "three megathreads" (before they got their own forum) that reached thousands of complaints in a few weeks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53520272
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54760572
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Three seem to have blocked Netflix

I'm not saying it is good service for all... I have fair coverage. Also, I do think this is a future - wireless broadband... Not a current infrastructure tho. Everything goes wireless now.
    I do have a eircom at home and three on the phone, why not to use it?

• Advertisement

fenris wrote: »

Three seem to have blocked Netflix
    Yeah... I noticed it now... :-(

Advertisement