Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greatest set of headphones?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was looking for some advice, what would you consider to be the greatest set of the headphones on the market today?

If money wasnt a factor, which headphones would you get?

Dont get me wrong, money is a huge factor, im skint, but ive never felt guilty about investing in good audio.

I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's, but lost them.

Then I had a pair of these TMA
    http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/aiaiai_tma1.php
    But they were stolen.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Another pair of HD 25's imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Headphones are never going to give you the clarity you need. I suggest you build a wooden frame (oak for best aural quality) that you can strap on which will place two Genelec 8020As (portable but with a credible bass impression), powered by the kinetic energy of your walking and at least 3 feet from each ear with some soundproofing placed behind them to help keep a neutral listening experience. It may make it awkward for traveling on the bus but it is a small price to pay for perfect sound on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

steampunk-headphones.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

anhedonia wrote: »
    Hey all,

I was looking for some advice, what would you consider to be the greatest set of the headphones on the market today?

If money wasnt a factor, which headphones would you get?

Dont get me wrong, money is a huge factor, im skint, but ive never felt guilty about investing in good audio.

I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's, but lost them.

Then I had a pair of these TMA
    http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/aiaiai_tma1.php
    But they were stolen.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys !!

What were the TMAs like? I've seen them on a few sites now and had a bit of a drool, love the design.

Otherwise another set of HD25 also...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Having a set of Pioneer HDJ1000's for the past 2 years, they get my vote. Although prolonged wear can be uncomfortable.

I'm looking at a new set myself, and these are getting very good reviews: http://shop.v-moda.com/p-121-crossfade-lp.aspx

They aren't like the all style, no substance of Beats. Apparently some serious engineering went into them. Plus the build quality is off the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

If it's for listening purposes rather than for DJing these are meant to be pretty decent:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/17/geek_treat_of_the_week_house_of_marley_exodus/

As for the Beats ones, I was really sceptical, but my mate (who i trust completely) tried a pair and fell in love with them straight away - says they're useless for anything studio or dj related, because they're really "dishonest" and colour the sound completely, but if you're after an amazing listening experience with huge amounts of clear and defined bass you can't go wrong. Very overpriced for what they are though, and very fragile too.

Personally I only use HD-25's though, wouldn't use headphones for anything but DJ-ing though, they're really comfortable and practical for djing purposes but not really for extended listening imo. Sound out of them is second to none for DJ-ng purposes - crystal clear and sharp as a razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

the ultrasone gear is ment to be top notch as well so i've been told. haven't used them myself but someone on here might be able to tell you more about them. bit pricey too.

ultrasone-pro-900-radiation-reducing-headphones.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

What were the TMAs like? I've seen them on a few sites now and had a bit of a drool, love the design.

Otherwise another set of HD25 also...

I found the TMAs to be better than the HDs, definitely the best sound quality Ive ever come across, and a nice sleek design. on the downside they set you back about 200 quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I'm going to invest in a second pair of Sony MDR-V6's/7506... I still cant find anything that tops them .. after 3+ hours a day for 11 years the leatherette on the headband is starting to leave bits of "leprosy" in my hair :P

Nothing I've tried is:
    a) As comfortable
    b) Sounds Nearly as good consistently
    c) Loud as hell
    d) Virtually uncolored
    e) Cheap becuase they've been in production so long and they make em by the truckload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Best set i've used for DJ'ing are the Pioneer 2000's. Strong build quality, extremelly comfortable on the ears, great noise cancellation and there's a great bass in them for mixing.

In all fairness, and I know a lot of people aren't a fan, but the best sounding headphones i've ever used are the Beats Solo HD's. Wouldn't ever use them for DJ'ing and they're really not comfortable for long periods but they are the best sounding headphones I've ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Kode9 had a pair of TMAs on last night, looked very slick. From what I could hear, they were working perfectly well too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Does anyone know of these are any use... reviews seem to be good?

31N6Bytn36L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-Xone-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B000WA3DLG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cianh wrote: »
    Does anyone know of these are any use... reviews seem to be good?

31N6Bytn36L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-Xone-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B000WA3DLG

Have a flick through these threads, Head-Fi's usually got sound advice:

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=Allen+%26+Heath+Xone%3AXD-53

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anything A&H is normally top notch. Most people swear by their mixers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

skullcandys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 powerplant

Has to be the HD25s for me, I use AKG240s and a set of Beyerdynamics from time to time but I prefer working with the Sennheisers. Made in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Put some bullets in your ear sound sockets! :cool:

Munitio_SITi_G_Nine_Millimeter_Bullet_Earphones.png

Although there are some nice looking cans here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

skullcandys

Someone has a sense of humor :P
    Anything A&H is normally top notch. Most people swear by their mixers.

A&H headphones are made by Audio Technica

Dixons Travel in Dublin airport have the TMAs for 139 euro, think they are marked down to clear as they had a few and they have a 'managers special' sticker on them, was seriously tempted but couldn't justify the spend... bloody good price though for anyone looking for them and passing through T2 in Dublin airport. Amazon has them at 139 pounds and that seems to be the cheapest online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AIAIAI-TMA-1-DJ-Headphone-Black/dp/B00404H6DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322611450&sr=8-1

In fact I'm kinda pssed off now that I didn't buy them :(

Dixons Travel in Dublin airport have the TMAs for 139 euro, think they are marked down to clear as they had a few and they have a 'managers special' sticker on them, was seriously tempted but couldn't justify the spend... bloody good price though for anyone looking for them and passing through T2 in Dublin airport. Amazon has them at 139 pounds and that seems to be the cheapest online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AIAIAI-TMA-1-DJ-Headphone-Black/dp/B00404H6DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322611450&sr=8-1

Was looking at these this morning.. Sickened I'm nowhere near Dublin or I'd head in and get those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

was.deevey wrote: »
    A&H headphones are made by Audio Technica
    i've heard this before, and audio technica are top notch.
    I'd personally recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. Amazing all-rounder workhorse cans. I use them for producing, DJ'ing, recording and listening when on the bus etc.

The Allen & Heath XD-53 are supposed to be similar, which is definitely good, but optimized for DJ'ing as they have larger drivers for more volume when mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

whats the difference between the sennheiser hd25 1 - II and the hd 25 II?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Think they're very similar though I havn't checked.
    Go by price. The HD25's are around €170 or €180 ish.

Also to weigh in on the thread, HD25 always wins out for me. I went through a lot of headphones until these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I own a pair of sony MDR-7509HD's

Don't know about them being the best headphones ever but they're pretty good none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The 1-ii comes with a 1.5m cable and right angled jack, the 25 ii just come with a 2m (or maybe it's 3m) cable and straight jack. I have the 25 1-ii's, because I do alot of listening on the move, and long cables annoy the sh*t out of me, eventually I'll buy the coiled cable seperately and use that for dj'ing.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Was looking at these this morning.. Sickened I'm nowhere near Dublin or I'd head in and get those.

Was in Dublin Airport before New Years and Dixon's sold me a pair of these TMA-1's for €110, delighted with them :D

Was in Dublin Airport before New Years and Dixon's sold me a pair of these TMA-1's for €110, delighted with them :D

Nice! Did you get them to knock a few more quid off or were they further reduced?

Nice! Did you get them to knock a few more quid off or were they further reduced?

The assistant I was talking to literally had the new price tag in his hand when I asked him. They were in a clearance section separate to other cans. He said they'd ten or eleven units left and were selling them off cheap to move them. Just got lucky!

The assistant I was talking to literally had the new price tag in his hand when I asked him. They were in a clearance section separate to other cans. He said they'd ten or eleven units left and were selling them off cheap to move them. Just got lucky!

Nice one - traveling through myself this Monday so might be tempted if they are still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

If it's just for general listening, these Bowers & Wilkins headphones are the best I've ever heard. Quality is amazing, bass is deep and satisfying but not
    overpowering. Has anyone ever used them?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/H6807ZM/A/Bowers-and-Wilkins-C5-In-Ear-Headphones

Advertisement