Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr jailed for domestic abuse

Options
  • 22-12-2011 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16296247

US boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr has been jailed for 90 days by a Las Vegas court after pleading guilty to assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Josie Harris, in 2010.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of $2,500 (£1,600) and complete 100 hours of community service.

Mayweather, 34, agreed to a plea deal, meaning he will not have to answer felony charges of beating Ms Harris and threatening two of their children.

I think his career is going to be severely tarnished by the end and haunted by 'what ifs'. A real shame for the boxing fans tbh if big fights cant happen because of his problems.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I guess you could say this one's gone to the judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

he'll be our after 40 days max on good behaviour mark my words.

the fucking cheek of them though. the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

He's a lucky boy getting the plea bargain. If he was convicted of the charges they originally drew up he'd have been an old man returning to boxing.

American Jails are overcrowded so he'd be out in a few weeks. Not even a speed bump in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Apparently the maximum sentence for the total charges against him amounted to 30 years before entering his plea.

Is it possible he simply carried out these crimes to avoid a fight with Pacman? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

He should have gotten years the scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Agree with Boooourns. We prob won't see him in a ring until Aug/Sept unless he takes on some of the convicts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

This is why objective people do not like Floyd as a person. He is an absolute scumbag. Deserves the jail time.

horsemeat wrote: »
    he'll be our after 40 days max on good behaviour mark my words.

If you're actually serious... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

#moneyteam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

WTF are you talking about? You break the law, you pay the price. Nobody is above the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ironic isn't it, as he constantly made references to Chico Corrales background which included a similar offence.

Up on his high moral horse talking sh!te.

Exactly as it still is with the way he goes on about Pacman.

Asshole!

Mayweather haters out in force today I see.

Come on lads, give it a rest it's christmas.

Save the vitriol for when pacquiao gets caught pissing hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Are you for real?
    The guy got convicted of beating up a woman, a guy who beats people up for a living so hes pretty good at it.

Yeah, haters gona hate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Fan of woman beaters then are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Fan of woman beaters then are you?

Fan of Steve Collins, Mike Tyson, Chico Corralles, Dereck Chisora, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I always found it strange how so many people name their dog after a convicted rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,616 ✭✭✭✭walshb

magma69 wrote: »
    Fan of Steve Collins, Mike Tyson, Chico Corralles, Dereck Chisora, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson etc?

I have heard the allegations and stories etc about all these except Ali. Any links or credible sources for the claim that Ali beat women?

SRR had a career in that "game." Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

this guy is just a wind up merchant as I've already highlighted in other forums...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056491514&page=4

I always found it strange how so many people name their dog after a convicted rapist.

C'mon, you can't be a chav and have a pit bull terrier and call it Pebbles, or Rover!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I have a Rotty and named him Tyson, I also have the tamest Golden Lab called Ali, any dog i ever have will have a name of a boxer and there 2 of the most famous ever, i was going to call Tyson "Evander" but it does not sound right shout here Evander when out walking.

ps, im not a chav!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    I have a Rotty and named him Tyson, I also have the tamest Golden Lab called Ali, any dog i ever have will have a name of a boxer and there 2 of the most famous ever, i was going to call Tyson "Evander" but it does not sound right shout here Evander when out walking.

ps, im not a chav!

And if you were, then you are the most respecatable chav I ever met;)

Barry McGuigan had an alsation when he was a fighter named Duran. Thought that was a cool name for a dog; and Roberto Duran had a very bad reputation outside of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Have you taken a look at the charges? The only reason that he isn't going down for a very long time is that he's Floyd Mayweather. This isn't the first time he's beaten a woman either, does it suddenly become acceptable because he's a talented boxer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Gamboa was arrested for battering his partner at one stage .

I think Gatti was reported as doing it too .

But the one that I remember was Jim Lampley getting done for domestic abuse !!

Who else is there ????

he admitted himself he only twisted her arm.it's not like he bate the jaws off her in the same manner he bashed shane mosley's jaws in.
    no point getting worked up over nothing lads, that kinda thing can happen in a heated argument. i'll give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

he admitted himself he only twisted her arm.it's not like he bate the jaws off her in the same manner he bashed shane mosley's jaws in.
    no point getting worked up over nothing lads, that kinda thing can happen in a heated argument. i'll give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

I'm sure he'll be grateful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

walshb wrote: »
    I have heard the allegations and stories etc about all these except Ali. Any links or credible sources for the claim that Ali beat women?

SRR had a career in that "game." Disgraceful.

Ali gave his wife a beating for wearing a skirt that was too short. It was in SRR's book, Pound for Pound. He was there and tried to intervene and Ali told him to stay out of it, he's nuthin' but a middleweight. The incident was also mentioned in an Ali biography.

Ali gave his wife a beating for wearing a skirt that was too short. It was in SRR's book, Pound for Pound. He was there and tried to intervene and Ali told him to stay out of it, he's nuthin' but a middleweight. The incident was also mentioned in an Ali biography.

Hilarious. SRR intervened:rolleyes: Unless he intervened to hold her while she got beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

I have read the said auto-biography. "The Greatest: My Own Story" which was published in 1975. Ali did not beat his wife (his 1st wife, Sonji) up for wearing the short dress.

He took her into a bathroom after he ripped her skirt. This happened at a Sugar Ray Robinson party, at SRR's house. SRR heard the commotion and inquired about it. What you said about the middleweight is correct. Ali told SRR to go away 1st, but then SRR insisted and then Ali said "i'm a heavyweight, you ain't nuthin' but a middleweight." He asked SRR if he wanted to fight but SRR just left then. But Ali didn't beat his wife.

From 1:47 to 4:52 off this clip is based on the party, but for reason the uploader cut off the part after Ali's wife ran down the stairs.

(BTW I read SRR's auto, he invited Ali out to Kingston, Jamaica for a fight of his as a second, when Ali was in the corner he shouted at Sonji "pull down your skirt", even though it was just about showing her knees)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

He could get 9 years and when he gets out he'd still be better than Manny.

Manny the most over rated boxer of our generation. Floyd the best boxer of our generation.

• Advertisement

He could get 9 years and when he gets out he'd still be better than Manny.

Manny the most over rated boxer of our generation. Floyd the best boxer of our generation.

Stop posting fanboy nonsense, especially when it has nothing to do with Floyd going to jail for being a woman-beater scumbag.

Advertisement