Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Republican campaign justifiable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As I've said before by my reading your posts on these boards, and the posts you thank by others, I would be of the opinion that you come down more heavily on Nationalist violence than on Unionist/British violence.

So you add to one false opinion by stating another ? Laughable!
    Btw saying 'I expect an retraction in the morning'... well... I'm not sure whether that's a joke but it's headmaster tone definitely has me smiling.

No, it wasn't a joke - it's common courtesy when you state something about someone that's a blatant lie. "Toning it down" is not credible because you originally quoted me when posting your dismissive slur.

But - like many who have a warped view of what "fighting BACK" entails, I guess it was too much to expect for you to admit that you were 100% wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Look, lets just get an individual vote from each of the six counties if they want to remain British or Irish, problem solved eh, no one should die in this process okay, peace, love and harmony and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No, it wasn't a joke - it's common courtesy when you state something about someone that's a blatant lie.

It's an opinion I hold due to evidence gleaned from posting on these forums - calling it a blatant lie is aggressive and untrue.
    But - like many who have a warped view of what "fighting BACK" entails,

So you're accusing me of having warped view now?

I have a Nationalist background. My Father's family lived in the Creggan estate in Derry during those times. They experienced the bad old days and they have plenty of harrowing anecdotes that never end up in statistics.

I hear from source how the Nationalist population of Derry was frustrated, discriminated against, beaten and eventually murdered by Unionists militias and the BA. Sometimes you've got no choice but to stand up for yourself. My sympathies lie with working class Nationalist people of the time - I subscribe to that narrative and make no apology for it.
    I guess it was too much to expect for you to admit that you were 100% wrong

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's an opinion I hold due to evidence gleaned from posting on these forums - calling it a blatant lie is aggressive and untrue.

And yet you felt the need to "tone it down" almost immediately! Laughable!

I have a Nationalist background. My Father's family lived in the Creggan estate in Derry during those times. They experienced the bad old days and they have plenty of harrowing anecdotes that never end up in statistics.

I hear from source how the Nationalist population of Derry was frustrated, discriminated against, beaten and eventually murdered by Unionists militias and the BA. Sometimes you've got no choice but to stand up for yourself.

Believe it or not I have no real issue with that; but that is irrelevant to my objections. My issue isn't with "fighting back" or "standing up for yourself" - it's with extending that to murder innocent people.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No idea what you're trying to say or weasel out of now, so I'll make a deal with you; refrain from posting cheap snide dismissive remarks and I'll avoid replying to you, and we can leave the thread back on track.

Why you couldn't simply retract your false claim and quoting of me is beyond me, but then that seems to be par for the course on NI threads - people never admit when they're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Let me begin with the controversy

Yes it was

And republican resistance is alive and well, dont mind what Sinn Fein tell you

Britain still occupys the North of this island, aslong as they do there will be resistance

People can object to that but tough, not all Irish people are lemmings willing to swallow half their country being denied sovereignty while the other half is glorified Commonwealth territory devoid of Irish culture propped up by money of ex-colonial super powers

'Ireland unfree will never will be at peace' - Padraig Pearse

Southern unionism and national self hating is rife nowadays

Im a republican, deal with it

I hope Irps areant developing Provo style revisionism
    free from what, external control?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And yet you felt the need to "tone it down" almost immediately! Laughable!

I wanted to make a distinction between yourself and others because you're more consistent. Take it as you will.
    My issue isn't with "fighting back" or "standing up for yourself" - it's with extending that to murder innocent people.

You and me both. Nevertheless the reality is that this type of thing happens in conflicts and for some reason murder by Nationalists seems to be more magnified and cause outrage than murder by others.
    No idea what you're trying to say or weasel out of now, so I'll make a deal with you; refrain from posting cheap snide dismissive remarks and I'll avoid replying to you, and we can leave the thread back on track.

For the sake of peace, let's go with that, although I'm uncomfortable with your wording of this peace agreement. :)
    Why you couldn't simply retract your false claim and quoting of me is beyond me, but then that seems to be par for the course on NI threads - people never admit when they're wrong.

As I said it's an opinion I've formed from these types of discussions. Perhaps, because these discussions are almost invariably about Republicans and Nationalists wrong doings rather than those of the other side, I have developed a confirmation bias. I guess time will tell.

Peace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Aah yes, the unblinking pontification that is Irish republican arrogance.

Yes we learned a lot from the British

There is a huge difference between civilians being killed and the deliberate targeting of civilians. There is also a difference between infrastructure and a shopping centre.

So, please can you explain how you, as a northern nationalist, felt protected by the PIRA bombing restaurants and shopping centres.

These campaigns were inaugurated against a background of political stalemate during what the PIRA regarded as an economic war against British rule in Northern Ireland, and FF when your going on about Bombing innocents don't forget to put in the dublin & monaghan bombings and many other incidents in which your government played a significant part as your unblinking pontification that is arrogance clearly shows you never seem to mention .

So perhaps you can tell us all why The UK State wanted Finucane dead?

And perhaps you can tell us all why a senior British police officer was allowed by The UK State to talk publicly about UK State collusion (if it existed)?

:D;):D

I think you're being very generous there Keith (for whatever reason). The problem isn't contextual analysis, as Republicans have little ability to do that. The biggest problem is that Irish Republicans can't even produce evidence for many of their claims or they get said evidence wrong. There can be two reasons for this:

(i) The Irish story telling tradition.
    (ii) Discussion is crude propaganda - war by other means. Propaganda of the repetitive Goebbels style, rather than anything sophisticated - they would be incapable of that.

Read some Irish history and not from stormfront as your grasp of what actually was and did happen there is indeed quite confusing and I am wondering where you ever in the six counties or as i suspect from you posts on other threads your just here to troll, good man/woman welcome.
    Depends on what 'rights' I was being denied and what you mean by 'fight back'.

What about these rights
    one man, one vote
    an end to discrimination in housing
    an end to discrimination in local government an end to the gerrymanderingof district boundaries, which limited the effect of Catholic voting the disbandment of the B-Specials, an entirely protestant Police reserve, perceived as sectarian.
    All of these specific demands were aimed at an ultimate goal the end of discrimination.Would you trendy vicar have fought back then ?

Don't be ridiculous. The security forces were there to maintain law and order and imprisoned 10 000+ Loyalists as a result. The reality is that some Loyalists thought The Security Forces weren't getting very far and as a result set up counter-terror gangs. PIRA weren't a defencive force and neither were The UVF/UFF - they were all aggressive killing machines.

:D Of course they were there just for law and order.....Internment was reintroduced on the orders of the Brian faulkner,What they did not include was a single loyalist. Although the UVF had begun the killing and bombing, this organisation was left untouched, as were other violent Loyalist satellite organisations such as TARAthe SHANKILL DEFENCE ASSOCIATION and the Ulster protestant volunteers.

I'm not going to comment on that hilarious drivel except to say it has nothing to do with my point about the conflict being well underway by the time of BS.

There is little agreement on the exact date of the start of the Troubles. Different writers have suggested different dates. These include the formation of the UVF in 1966,the civil rights march in Derry on 5 October 1968, the beginning of the 'Battle of the Bogside' on 12 August 1969 or the deployment of British troops on 14 August 1969.Dont see any of your hilarious drivel mentioning this,But by now reading your posts that is to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

realies wrote: »
    These campaigns were inaugurated against a background of political stalemate during what the PIRA regarded as an economic war against British rule in Northern Ireland, and FF when your going on about Bombing innocents don't forget to put in the dublin & monaghan bombings and many other incidents in which your government played a significant part as your unblinking pontification that is arrogance clearly shows you never seem to mention .

Why are you posting in bold, it doesn't detract from the dodge, deflect whataboutery you have written.

Now, maybe you could answer the question, how many nationalists were protected when the IRA fire bombed the Le Mons restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Don't be ridiculous. The security forces were there to maintain law and order and imprisoned 10 000+ Loyalists as a result. ..........

Internment saw 1,981 nationalists detained, vs 105 loyalists.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/intern/sum.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Nodin wrote: »
    Internment saw 1,981 nationalists detained, vs 105 loyalists.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/intern/sum.htm

Republicans were killing more people. In fact they murdered more than twice as many as Loyalists during the conflict.

• Advertisement

Now, maybe you could answer the question, how many nationalists were protected when the IRA fire bombed the Le Mons restaurant?

None .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Although the UVF had begun the killing and bombing, this organisation was left untouched, as were other violent Loyalist satellite organisations such as TARAthe SHANKILL DEFENCE ASSOCIATION and the Ulster protestant volunteers.
    The IRA started the bombing. On Nelson's Pillar. A very important monument to the British people on the island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Republicans were killing more people. In fact they murdered more than twice as many as Loyalists during the conflict.

You're looking at those figures and seeing what you want to see, the fact is, that the ordinary Catholic population in the North was by far the hardest hit.

Of the 3747 people who were killed in the Troubles, 1259 of them were Catholic civilians, that's almost 34%, the vast majority of these were by Loyalist paramilitaries.

There were 727 Protestant civilians killed, and 20% of this number were also killed by Loyalists in mistaken identity.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The IRA started the bombing. On Nelson's Pillar. A very important monument to the British people on the island.

Your having a laugh now keith.

realies wrote: »
    Your having a laugh now keith.
    Absolutely not. That hurt a lot of people to see it getting blown up. It heated everything up. The IRA invasion of Ulster during the 50s was bad enough but this just reminded everyone of how bad it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Absolutely not. That hurt a lot of people to see it getting blown up. It heated everything up. The IRA invasion of Ulster during the 50s was bad enough but this just reminded everyone of how bad it could be.

It hurt them that a monument in a foreign country was blown up? ;)

Not quite, though there is a grain of truth in your sentiment, in that the UVF was formed out of paranoid factions insecure in celebration of Irish culture and commemoration of the Easter rising in Belfast and Dublin.

Hard to know what would have happened if the UVF wasn't formed in 66 and the pogroms never occured. I do think the last 30 years could have been different. Ironically I suspect without catalysts like internment or Bloody Sunday, Terence O'Neill's prediction of Catholics living like Protestants may have had a chance to be proven correct, which could have slowed the birth rate of Catholics, which is probably the only threat to the union in the coming decades. (RCs already outnumbering total number protestants at certain school ages) This is because the civil rights movement could have continued and some form of equality may have come through.

Next to pointless speculating though, if those events didn't happen there may even have been worse events, culminating in outright civil war or a death toll of 10,000.

On the actual topic - no way am I commenting. Whatever answer you give it will be genuinely hurtful to some people. eg if its justified then innocent unionists are going to feel let down and attacked, justifying the campaign doesn't help the hurt felt by their son or daughter being caught up in a bomb with a dodgy warning. Say its not justified then you're telling victims of state oppression they should have just put up with it. There's no winning coming out of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

you would weep if ( a) statue of oliver cromwell in drogheda was blown up

Hard to know what would have happened if the UVF wasn't formed in 66 and the pogroms never occured. I do think the last 30 years could have been different.

When dem negros started gettin' all uppity, thinkin' they was as good as the white man, well, they had to be taught a lesson.

It hurt them that a monument in a foreign country was blown up? ;)

Not quite, though there is a grain of truth in your sentiment, in that the UVF was formed out of paranoid factions insecure in celebration of Irish culture and commemoration of the Easter rising in Belfast and Dublin.

Hard to know what would have happened if the UVF wasn't formed in 66 and the pogroms never occured. I do think the last 30 years could have been different. Ironically I suspect without catalysts like internment or Bloody Sunday, Terence O'Neill's prediction of Catholics living like Protestants may have had a chance to be proven correct, which could have slowed the birth rate of Catholics, which is probably the only threat to the union in the coming decades. (RCs already outnumbering total number protestants at certain school ages) This is because the civil rights movement could have continued and some form of equality may have come through.

+1 , if the unionists had an an ounce of common sense , they would have saw it as in thier interest to woo , court and win over the minority catholic population , equal access and opportunity with regards , employment , housing etc would have put paid to any significant republican rebellion taking shape , instead they chose to take the jackboot approach and mirror the botha types in south africa

Next to pointless speculating though, if those events didn't happen there may even have been worse events, culminating in outright civil war or a death toll of 10,000.

On the actual topic - no way am I commenting. Whatever answer you give it will be genuinely hurtful to some people. eg if its justified then innocent unionists are going to feel let down and attacked, justifying the campaign doesn't help the hurt felt by their son or daughter being caught up in a bomb with a dodgy warning. Say its not justified then you're telling victims of state oppression they should have just put up with it. There's no winning coming out of this thread.

+1 , if the unionists had an an ounce of common sense , they would have saw it as in thier interest to woo , court and win over the minority catholic population after 1921 , equal access and opportunity with regards , employment , housing etc would have put paid to any significant republican rebellion taking shape , instead they chose to take the jackboot approach and mirror the botha types in south africa

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you would weep if ( a) statue of oliver cromwell in drogheda was blown up
    Some people would have probably taken offence if it was a Cromwell statue as he is a hero to some Protestants. But this did cause paranoia and strife in the Protestant community at the time.

• Advertisement

+1 , if the unionists had an an ounce of common sense , they would have saw it as in thier interest to woo , court and win over the minority catholic population after 1921 , equal access and opportunity with regards , employment , housing etc would have put paid to any significant republican rebellion taking shape , instead they chose to take the jackboot approach and mirror the botha types in south africa

I wouldn't put it like that because it implies unionists were inherently stupid, which they were not - and it was a complicated situation.

Northern Ireland was a very young entity at the yime which fed into insecurity in the legitimacy of the state. Look at the mad sh*t Israel get up to today.

Whilst the Ulster covenant provided some legitamacy, the 6 county version was a deviation from that as it wasn't Ulster in its entirety. Republicans had the 1918 election which was fresher in the mind in the 60s than it is today, in addition to that it was an official vote for the whole of Ireland as one entity, which is what it was constitutionally considered as a home nation of the UK at the time. The Ulster covenant - whilst as I said, could be considered in my opinion as some grounds for separation from the rest of Ireland, was in legal or constitutional terms just a petition

So there was likely an intense fear Northern Ireland could be erased as quickly as it was formed. Fear and rationality don't go hand in hand.

You're not American are you bob? The reason I ask this, is because you have a hopeless grasp of both historical context and human nature. Partition created two states that were cold places for their respective national minorities - the pro-British minority in the south and the pro-Irish minority in the north. The only difference is that the minority in the south effectively got up and left, so no problems (at least violent ones) resulted. In the north the minority was much larger, stayed and thanks to it's slavish obedience to RC doctrine actually grew in size. This meant they were viewed as a threat to the majority community. In those days (and indeed today in most parts of the world), national minorities are not accorded equality because they are viewed as a threat to the state. So it was in Northern Ireland. The situation was not helped by the irredentist claim the southern state maintained towards the north until very recently and by the Republican campaigns that occurred in every decade of Northern Ireland's history (and which continue to this day).

The continuous attempts by Republicans and ill informed others to equate the situation in Northern Ireland with the situation in the American deep south ignores the fact that Blacks in the deep south were a racial minority and not a national minority and as such were not a potential threat to the state itself.

In addition, it should be noted that the difference in standard of living between NI's Catholics and Protestants was nowhere near the same as that existing between Blacks/Whites in The US southern states, let alone between Blacks/Whites in apartheid era South Africa.

Strangely, there was no mass slaughter entered into by Blacks in Alabama - perhaps because they had more brains, or perhaps they were aware of how The US State would have reacted.

Some people would have probably taken offence if it was a Cromwell statue as he is a hero to some Protestants. But this did cause paranoia and strife in the Protestant community at the time.

some people are sensitive about butchers ( like cromwell ) being denigrated , that doesnt mean they should be indulged

I wouldn't put it like that because it implies unionists were inherently stupid, which they were not - and it was a complicated situation.

Northern Ireland was a very young entity at the yime which fed into insecurity in the legitimacy of the state. Look at the mad sh*t Israel get up to today.

Whilst the Ulster covenant provided some legitamacy, the 6 county version was a deviation from that as it wasn't Ulster in its entirety. Republicans had the 1918 election which was fresher in the mind in the 60s than it is today, in addition to that it was an official vote for the whole of Ireland as one entity, which is what it was constitutionally considered as a home nation of the UK at the time. The Ulster covenant - whilst as I said, could be considered in my opinion as some grounds for separation from the rest of Ireland, was in legal or constitutional terms just a petition

So there was likely an intense fear Northern Ireland could be erased as quickly as it was formed. Fear and rationality don't go hand in hand.

stupid was a poor choice of word , obtuse is more apt

some people are sensitive about butchers ( like cromwell ) being denigrated , that doesnt mean they should be indulged
    I could say the same about Wolfe Tone and his gang of butchers.

You're not American are you bob? The reason I ask this, is because you have a hopeless grasp of both historical context and human nature. Partition created two states that were cold places for their respective national minorities - the pro-British minority in the south and the pro-Irish minority in the north. The only difference is that the minority in the south effectively got up and left, so no problems (at least violent ones) resulted. In the north the minority was much larger, stayed and thanks to it's slavish obedience to RC doctrine actually grew in size. This meant they were viewed as a threat to the majority community. In those days (and indeed today in most parts of the world), national minorities are not accorded equality because they are viewed as a threat to the state. So it was in Northern Ireland. The situation was not helped by the irredentist claim the southern state maintained towards the north until very recently and by the Republican campaigns that occurred in every decade of Northern Ireland's history (and which continue to this day).

The continuous attempts by Republicans and ill informed others to equate the situation in Northern Ireland with the situation in the American deep south ignores the fact that Blacks in the deep south were a racial minority and not a national minority and as such were not a potential threat to the state itself.

In addition, it should be noted that the difference in standard of living between NI's Catholics and Protestants was nowhere near the same as that existing between Blacks/Whites in The US southern states, let alone between Blacks/Whites in apartheid era South Africa.

Strangely, there was no mass slaughter entered into by Blacks in Alabama - perhaps because they had more brains, or perhaps they were aware of how The US State would have reacted.

keith is just irratating but your a real nasty piece of work , dont reply to me again and il pretend your not there either , put me down as a threat to the state which is boards , whatever you like , just dont converse with me directly

I could say the same about Wolfe Tone and his gang of butchers.

you could but the comparison would be meaningless on almost every concievable level

In the north the minority was much larger, stayed and thanks to it's slavish obedience to RC doctrine actually grew in size.

A statement of monochromatic bigotry. To attribute large families solely to the RC church betrays your poor understanding of the situation. Poverty and large families go hand-in-hand.
    This meant they were viewed as a threat to the majority community. In those days (and indeed today in most parts of the world), national minorities are not accorded equality because they are viewed as a threat to the state.

So what?

'The state' is made up of people. When you talk about a threat to 'the state' you are in essence talking about a threat to privilege and power. The state does not exist outside those who control it.

The situation is analogous. Blacks were very much considered a threat to the status quo if not 'the state' in the US. Like Unionism southern states white's paranoia cost the black community dearly.

The constitution empowered Black people in the US. They had a right to bear arms and the Black Panthers exercised that right. Car loads of Black Panthers used to follow the the police around tooled up to the teeth.

Maybe if the Catholics in the Bogside had recourse to a similar constitution and a cheap and plentiful supply of weapons with a right to have them then they wouldn't been put under seige by Unionist militias.

I think this quite an intellectual and accurate analysis of the situation, and I think fits with what I said in the last post.

The bit I've highlighted though- I have to question your use of language. Its a bit condescending, serves no purpose etc. In the rest of the post you are being objective, whereas that is very opinionated. A contemptuous, resentful tone even.

As soon as you said that its likely most nationalist likely posters overlooked everything else you said and just thought "bigot"

In the context of your post, the "why" for that point is irrelevant, maybe they did it out of RC doctrine, maybe it was a big conspiracy to take over Ulster, or maybe people in certain demographics had more children in those times and in the RC population certain demographics were larger. Who knows, who cares. RCs had more children, that is the fact. You'll probably get more of an audience by sticking to that, and you should, because you otherwise explained the situation in a non-ambigious, accessible way.

• Advertisement

Chuck Stone said:
    A statement of monochromatic bigotry. To attribute large families solely to the RC church betrays your poor understanding of the situation. Poverty and large families go hand-in-hand.

As did Roman Catholic doctrine until very recently in NI. I don't ignore facts because they make some people squirm.
    The situation is analogous. Blacks were very much considered a threat to the status quo if not 'the state' in the US. Like Unionism southern states white's paranoia cost the black community dearly.

The fact you accept Blacks were not a threat to the state shows the situation was not analogous.
    The constitution empowered Black people in the US. They had a right to bear arms and the Black Panthers exercised that right. Car loads of Black Panthers used to follow the the police around tooled up to the teeth.

You are American aren't you?

Advertisement