Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people troll?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

I can understand someone genuinely holding, or thinking they hold, a controversial opinion, and then defending it to the death despite all the facts showing them that they're wrong.

What I don't get is deliberately winding people up by pretending to have a controversial opinion and then getting abusive and aggressive (and probably banned) to wind people up further.

I don't see how that'd be fun in real life, and especially don't see how it's fun online where you can't see people's reactions.
    What's the appeal?

Foreigners and single mothers and scumbags should all be shipped off to an island somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

If you have to ask, you will never know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In fairness, there's some people just have contraversial opinions and stick by them cause thats what they believe.

For others....attention seeking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can understand someone genuinely holding, or thinking they hold, a controversial opinion, and then defending it to the death despite all the facts showing them that they're wrong.

What I don't get is deliberately winding people up by pretending to have a controversial opinion and then getting abusive and aggressive (and probably banned) to wind people up further.

I don't see how that'd be fun in real life, and especially don't see how it's fun online where you can't see people's reactions.
    What's the appeal?

Foreigners and single mothers and scumbags should all be shipped off to an island somewhere.

They're probably small-minded neurotics with big chips on their shoulders, who have trouble communicating in the real world, and the only way they can get a hard on is by winding people up on the internet.

Most of them would disappear if internet access was removed from mental health facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Personality disorders tbh.

I don't mind funny trolls, but abusive argumentative trolls can just FO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

What's the appeal...I guess some people have too much time on their hands, plus they probably get away with it often enough to make it worthwhile. Trolls remind me of those people who create computer viruses - what's the point??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Pathetic, socially awkward freaks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What's the appeal...I guess some people have too much time on their hands, plus they probably get away with it often enough to make it worthwhile. Trolls remind me of those people who create computer viruses - what's the point??

That's what I don't get about both viruses and trolling: you're causing people annoyance and disruption, and you don't get anything out of it or even get to witness the annoyance you cause.

Just seems like a lot of effort for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Because some people can't be bought

Some people just want to watch the world burn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's what I don't get about both viruses and trolling: you're causing people annoyance and disruption, and you don't get anything out of it or even get to witness the annoyance you cause.

Viruses are probably created by people with names such as Norton and McCafee.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I suppose Harvey Norman could be concidered a troll ?
    Anyway u people are far too cautious .
    My friend the crown prince of Zambia is depositing 1 million dollars in my account today .
    So I'm outta here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Viruses would be created alot of times by people testing their own coding abilities. They set it free on the web to see how far it spreads and if it can bypass the bigger brands of anti-virus software.

As for trolling, some people are just arseholes. They remind me of people who feel the need to lie all the time to make themselves seem more interesting / funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Duggy747 wrote: »
    As for trolling, some people are just arseholes. They remind me of people who feel the need to lie all the time to make themselves seem more interesting / funny.

I was thinking the same thing this weekend while I was yachting off the coast of Monaco with my supermodel girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im not sure. What i am sure of is that gays are going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing this weekend while I was yachting off the coast of Monaco with my supermodel girlfriend

I know a guy who own's Monaco and let's me run it on weekends because he trusts me so much and I fixed his Xbox once for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

ejmaztec wrote: »

Viruses are probably created by people with names such as Norton and McCafee.

I got a new computer with 6 months free Internet security .
    It was never connected to the net .
    When the 6 months where up it did an automatic scan and said there was 30+ viruses on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Why do people troll?

Because there's only so much **** a person can do in a day and you've gotta fill in the gaps between sessions somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They are wind up merchants and their reason d'être seems to just upset people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The reason that most people can't get their heads around it is probably the reason trolls prosper.

Don't mind a bit of lighthearted trolling when its funny or non-malicious or when a person's genuinely felt niche opinion is contraversial enough to annoy the majority which does happen sometimes.

It's just the ones that genuinely want to get other users into trouble and derail a forum are c+nts.

I also utterly despise users that drag in outsiders to a forum. Like that little fashion around here a few years back of trying to make a net celebrity of some randomer via an ad or social networking site. Thankfully the little c+nty coterie that seemed te be into that have gone these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Because....
    ............................................................................ ............................................................................ ............................................................................................. ........................................................................................ .................................................................................. ........................................................................ ..................................................................................... .............................................................................. ................................................................................ .................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ...............................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

why do people insist on using americanisms like troll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

All about perspective, I get called a troll for telling basic truths on the Christianity board, yet i consider most posters there to be trolls for saying they believe a magic man in the sky hates gays and abortion, so they do too.

go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Leftist wrote: »

How is troll an Americanism when it's most direct and applicable root is French?

Spacedog wrote: »
    All about perspective, I get called a troll for telling basic truths on the Christianity board, yet i consider most posters there to be trolls for saying they believe a magic man in the sky hates gays and abortion, so they do too.

go figure.

There you go.

Anyone who doesn't get trolling has never really been to the pub have they? wind ups are part and parcel of irish culture (well Dublin culture because we don't take ourselves as seriously).
    No harm in it.

How is troll an Americanism when it's most direct and applicable root is French?

The term for winding up on the internet is american in origin.

I don't care if the actual troll stories come from france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Because it's not an Americanism. It's one of those internet-isms. Just because you hear the word with a US accent doesn't mean that it's from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The term for winding up on the internet is american in origin.

I don't care if the actual troll stories come from france.

Troller = to hunt.

This has nothing to do with troll stories.

What other term could you use?

What other term could you use?
    wumming is the uk/irish term.

Trolling in the internet sense is an americanism, came from america, ergo an americanism. Oh but it was used to describe goat herding in france in the 15th century. Arsed, Didn't have chat zones back then.

• Advertisement

wumming is the uk/irish term.

Trolling in the internet sense is an americanism, came from america, ergo an americanism. Oh but it was used to describe goat herding in france in the 15th century. Arsed, Didn't have chat zones back then.

I've never heard that at all.

Sounds slightly dirty, in a good way.

Advertisement