Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic Graffiti on Loopline rail bridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

thelungs wrote: »
    Genius. With replys like that why even debate ART OR VANDALISM.

One common belief is:

"Graffiti is the purest form of art because the artist does not get recognition for his/her work. Therefore, there is no monetary gain to it nor a gain in fame, making graffiti solely an expression of self."

I agree that some of the tagging is rubbish (and the one used to start this thread won't be to my taste), but you can't sum up a whole art form as crap.

It has always been around (since the cave painting) and always will be.

One last point is loads of major international chain stores, brands and companies use graffiti in their ads.
    Just a few:
    RTE
    TV3
    Sky TV
    McDonalds
    Burger King
    Reebok
    Coke cola
    Adidas
    ... I could keep going.

So are these to blame too.
    Lets open our minds a little people.

Sorry, I missed that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You're not helping your case here, if anything you're hurting it by acting like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Either contribute properly to the thread, or don't contribute at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

The guys who sprayed the bridge are not artists but arseholes, the bridge has been used in tourist shots of Dublin for years, John hinde post cards etc.
    They have no cop on, just seem to want to get as many done as quickly as possible. I seen one of these clowns going from door to door spraying some crap in the city center one afternoon, cought up with him and the look of disbelief that I would stop him, unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

CianRyan wrote: »
    If some knacker sprays a dick on your wall, blame him for what he is, a knacker, not a graffiti artist.

But "the knacker" thinks he's a graffiti artist....same as the "artist" thinks he's an artist when he's only a knacker.

It varies, some people, myself included, spend hours on end perfecting a tag, making it into something that is actually nice to look at and not just, "ANTO WOZ ERE 2K11".".

YOU think it looks nice..the people who's property you deface dont...yet you think you're better in some way than ANTO WAZ ERE..you're not..you're both destroying somebody's property to gratify your own egos.
    Tagging is a big part of what graffiti culture is about. There'll be a tag beside every piece, bomb, block buster, etc.the same way an artist will sign his painting..".".

Because the asshole who did it just has to tell everybody it was him.
    Tagging is definitely acceptable in the scene, "toys" how ever are looked down upon and shunned.
    A toy is some one with no tallent and a big ego, generally making the place look a heap.".".

You sound like a drug dealer looking down on a pickpocket..
    The stuff on the bridge, in my opinion, was done by a group of toys. Looks absolute cack and they've wrecked something that was already nice to look at. Not on at all.
    ".

In my opinion your "tags" and "block busters" look equally shiite and its my tax money thats paying to have it removed.

As said above, within the scene they're not considered credible graffiti artists, they're just knobs or rather, "toys".

And within society and particularly proerty owners ALL graffiti 'artists' are considered to be "****".."vandals","egotists","dickheads",...all names used to describe them...

You want to paint GO AND BUY YOUR OWN HOUSE OR WALL AND PAINT ON THAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm shocked, appalled, outraged, disgusted, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've just passed this on the bridge and am horrified at what they done. Its serious criminal damage to a part of our heritage. It looks to me from the photo posted that both sides of the pillars were vandalised, the side with the view actually on the bridge itself looks in worse state than in the pic posted by Makikomi.

The worst part is the pillar on the north end with the letters HADZ written underneath. This ain't art, this is criminality and I hope something is done as that bridge is sacred to us as a form of great architecture.

I hope the DCC graffiti removal people will be on to this ASAP as they are quite fast dealing with graffiti in suburban estates. Has anyone here rang them up yet? I will ring them up myself as well.

They won't be speedy in dealing with it. Removing graffiti in urban estates is totally different to removing it from a dangerous section of a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Effects wrote: »
    They won't be speedy in dealing with it. Removing graffiti in urban estates is totally different to removing it from a dangerous section of a bridge.

That and the fact that they don't seem to clean graffiti in urban areas, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Whats worse is that councils are giving skanger children walls in local areas to do all that stuff. I even seen RTE do a little thing on it. Practice on the council funded wall, to then do it for real on the sides of peoples houses and buildings.The more the councils and TV abide, tolerate and celebrate skanger/street culture because they are down with the kidz, the sooner we will end up like London with skangers rioting and raiding JD Sports "cuz they aint got nuffins to do" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The more the councils and TV abide, tolerate and celebrate skanger/street culture because they are down with the kidz, the sooner we will end up like London with skangers rioting and raiding JD Sports "cuz they aint got nuffins to do" :rolleyes:

You really equate street art classes with rioting and stealing?

Are you mad?

Whats worse is that councils are giving skanger children walls in local areas to do all that stuff. I even seen RTE do a little thing on it. Practice on the council funded wall, to then do it for real on the sides of peoples houses and buildings.The more the councils and TV abide, tolerate and celebrate skanger/street culture because they are down with the kidz, the sooner we will end up like London with skangers rioting and raiding JD Sports "cuz they aint got nuffins to do" :rolleyes:
    That's a pretty ignorant post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why not? The people who think nothing of damaging other people's are breaking the law..how does this differ from theft and why wouldnt the people be thieves as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Des wrote: »
    Nice attempt to strawman me, but you aren't an idiot, and you know well yourself that that is not what I meant, at all.

I wasn't strawmanning you the argument is relevant, you brought up banksie you didn't bring up his commisioned pieces you brought him up in general.

You conveniently ignore the fact that cian has explained that 'credible' graffiti artists won't paint private property so there is no someone. Now he didnt spell it out but I am assuming he meant to say they will spray public property ie something owned by everybody (a wall in a park for example or a goverment building or whatever).

so in the 'scene' they try to not affect the property owner that you keep going on about.

Now that dosnt change the tax payer argument but guess what I am a tax payer too and I would rather they didnt remove good art from public property does my single tax payer opinion cancel out your single tax payer opinion or does it not really matter that we are tax payers at all, we just have our own opinions.
    Des wrote: »

Please explain to me how some wanker spraying his name on a pole is "art".

Not one single person in this thread has said that it is. Your the one strawmanning.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    Banksy is a disaffected politician (now curiously and unsurprisingly part of the mainstream) who happens to spray paint things.

being part of the mainstream modern art world is not really the same thing as being mainstream. He also continuously takes the piss out of himself and his success and the art world in general. Exit through the gift shop is well worth watching
    The act of graffiti is not art, art is a much more considered and intellectual process and is different to craft.

Thats true of course just like the act of carving a stone isn't art or the act of putting paint on paper isn't art or creating a screen print isnt art, its the finished product that counts and what it represents and feelings it invokes in people and there is definitely graffiti that fits that criteria.
    Degsy wrote: »
    They can think it out all they want but they're not scrawling on thier own property ergo its unwanted and therefore vandalism.

just because its vandalism dosn't mean its not art, admittedly the pieces in the op are not art they are just vandalism for vandalisms sake and admittedly you dont see a lot of artistic graffiti around ireland at all but you are trying to make a point against one thing by using something completely unrelated as an argument and you continue to ignore the points of people who dont completely agree with you and continue to spout uninformed rubbish

I couldnt care less if you think the guys who go around doing these **** tags should be punished I agree with you, its awful looking, it costs a lot of money to clean up and they do it without any kind of respect for the etiquette of the people they are trying to emulate. However their actions do not change the fact that quality, artistic, thoughtfull, evocative graffiti exists commisioned or not and long may it last.
    Banksey is no better than anybody else,another retard

A very intelligent, rich, funny and successful retard.

Why not? The people who think nothing of damaging other people's are breaking the law..how does this differ from theft and why wouldnt the people be thieves as well?

Well it differs from theft in a very obvious way, it is not theft. People speed or drink drive or park on double yellow lines or commit any other number of minor offenses, offenses you have probably been guilty of numerous times, every minute of every day why wouldnt they be thieves or kidnappers or rapists or murderers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The types that travel along the Dort line (homewards no doubt) and scrawl their cretinous 'art' over everything in their way are a long way from the 'skanger children' being given supervised walls to paint on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

my god what a thread,
    i have never even held a spraycan tbh but some of the posts in this thread are fecking ridiculous,
    there is crap graffiti everywhere, paris and cologne are covered in it, but there is also more interesting things like underbelly in new york,
    it cant be seen by the public and its 4 stories below the city in an abandoned subway station, although some idiots did get in and write their names on it!
    the subway was half built in the 20s then never finished so the public wont be affected by it:)

i have no clue does this piece still exist, but because a certain poster likes banksy so much, here you go
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/5193552.stm

i do agree most graffiti is terrible, but it shouldnt all be judged because some junkie painted "anto" a wall in dublin,

edit: by "likes" banksy i mean looks down on everyone in this thread and can apparently say whatever he wants

more edit: fair play to cianryan for his honesty in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Whoa, didn't expect such a reaction to the this thread!

As I said originally, it's shocking the state of the bridge with the graffiti. But as said by others good graffiti in proper locations looks great, such as Banksy and other artists. The usual scribbled tags you see everywhere are a bloody joke, street cred my hole. Hopefully whoever done this get caught and punished, it's a high visible area with tourists so its not the best for the image of Dublin to say the least.
    And yes, go to most cities on the continent and graffiti is EVERYWHERE, even the buses, vans and trucks are sprayed so the problem in Dublin is nowhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

If you wish to report the graffiti then fill in a form or phone Dublin city council and report the issue. The online form can be found here

This is a real pain in the ass though. The location means its not easily accessible and removing it could be time consuming, hazardous and difficult. You could potentially use a mobile crane from the bridge but that itself could cause hazards. I suppose they could co-ordinate their efforts with Iarnród Éireann and do the job at night using harnesses, nightlights etc. Then you have to take into account how this happened and whether it could happen again. This means identifying all possible entry ways and guarding them from access. This is more money, wasted time, effort and distraction from other important issues.

You'd think with all this hassle that at least the people who drew this would do something meaningful, beautiful or have some miniscule of artistic merit. Nope, instead we get mindless, unimaginative crap. And how were they not spotted? It would take a fair while for them to do this and they would definitely draw a crowd... maybe they were caught.

Anyway, fill in the form if you want it removed ( it just may take a while )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Arresting Banksy and making him accountable for criminal damage would send the right message imo. Lets see how committed to his 'art' he is when he is faced with the bill for 'expressing' himself. The same bills I as a painter face if I want to paint or if I want to hold a show. There are many many outlets, (social media, social networks etc.) many pieces of easily acquired software (Corel, Photoshop, Paint) to express yourself and to indulge your adolescence (a lot more than my generation had) Damaging the property of others is not acceptable, whatever age you are or however 'cool' you think it is. Graffiti is not art, it's a social nuisance.

Arresting Banksy and making him accountable for criminal damage would send the right message imo.
    All that would do is cause more graffiti, in the style of "free banksy".

• Advertisement

Arresting Banksy and making him accountable for criminal damage would send the right message imo. Lets see how committed to his 'art' he is when he is faced with the bill for 'expressing' himself. The same bills I as a painter face if I want to paint or if I want to hold a show. There are many many outlets, (social media, social networks etc.) many pieces of easily acquired software (Corel, Photoshop, Paint) to express yourself and to indulge your adolescence (a lot more than my generation had) Damaging the property of others is not acceptable, whatever age you are or however 'cool' you think it is. Graffiti is not art, it's a social nuisance.
    The UK government make more money out of Banksy by not persuing him. As for giving him a bill, the courts are more into custodial sentances than fines these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Arresting Banksy and making him accountable for criminal damage would send the right message imo. Lets see how committed to his 'art' he is when he is faced with the bill for 'expressing' himself.

I'd be delighted if Banksy painted on my property:
    On 27 April 2007, a new record high for the sale of Banksy's work was set with the auction of the work Space Girl & Bird fetching £288,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

Remove the wall, send it down the auction house, pay for repairs, you'd still have 200k left over...

Wait until this catches on.

tumblr_luikyw6XgW1qf1vbwo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

latenia wrote: »

Remove the wall, send it down the auction house, pay for repairs, you'd still have 200k left over...
    I'm sorry... remove the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

latenia wrote: »

I'm sorry... remove the wall?

Remove the section of wall, sell it. Rebuild it, profit.
    Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

A Banksy piece would increase the value of the property, however it is only art if it is commissioned apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

bladebrew wrote: »

i have no clue does this piece still exist, but because a certain poster likes banksy so much, here you go
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/5193552.stm

It's still there alright - was in Bristol for a few days recently. The tour guides on open-top buses point it out, so in that sense it has become part of the cultural value of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Are you mad?

Its the degradation of society that is the problem. "Street" culture should never be encouraged or tolerated. Its what happened in London. The entitlement culture took over and the skanger classes thought they were justified in raiding JD Sports because "the government aint doin nuffin". Celebrating their street lifestyle gives them fuel and entitlement to act in an unruly manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Put bluntly, Dublin is ugly. Dirty, ugly, smelly, and you stink of diesel if you're out in it too long. Delapidated buildings, empty lots and laminated signs are plentiful, even on the main thoughfares.
    Both landmark and residential buildings are hideous, such as Liberty Hall and Busaras, as well as pretty much every unit of social housing.
    There is a layer of grime on everything.
    If city hall are making any effort to beautify the city, I certainly don't see much evidence of it. Its not even me as a country boy who visits once a year, I'm up every day for college.

Yeah, all that Edwardian, Georgian, Victorian ****e as for the GPO, the Customs House, Trinity, the Four Courts, Guinness brewery, Grand Canal Theatre!!

By the way, Busarus won the RIAI Gold medal in 1955 and is a landmark of modern architecture in Ireland. It's a fairly cool building with nice materials if you look at it properly.

Now just because you live in some dump and your experience of Dublin is when you make your way to college and back doesn't make the city ugly and dirty.

It makes you an inexperienced student that is unfamiliar with the city.

I spent the day knocking around the city today, parts of the city you wouldn't really know about. Stunning. ;)

I don't like silly tagging. Particularly bad tagging. I very rarely see good tagging.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, all that Edwardian, Georgian, Victorian ****e as for the GPO, the Customs House, Trinity, the Four Courts, Guinness brewery, Grand Canal Theatre!!

You may want to open your eyes, there's a lot more ugly buildings than pretty ones. I'd say poor architecture, poor design, and downright ugly signage make up a far higher number than their positive counterparts.
    By the way, Busarus won the RIAI Gold medal in 1955 and is a landmark of modern architecture in Ireland. It's a fairly cool building with nice materials if you look at it properly.

Sorry, but the RIAI Gold medal of 1955 isn't really that much of an award. What other buildings from that era look any way decent? What other serious challengers to that title existed?
    Now just because you live in some dump and your experience of Dublin is when you make your way to college and back doesn't make the city ugly and dirty.

No, Dublin is ugly and dirty on its own accord, completely unrelated to Arklow and however much of a dump it may or may not be. My experience of Dublin is not just from going to and from college (and even still, I don't have tunnel vision during that, and I can look around me), I do have time off for lunch and a few free hours here and there, so I have obviously been around the city. That is what forms my experience, not just a selection of hideousness.
    It makes you an inexperienced student that is unfamiliar with the city.

I expected this; The "you're young and stupid and you're not allowed to have an opinion" card.
    I spent the day knocking around the city today, parts of the city you wouldn't really know about. Stunning. ;)

I went for a wander around the city recently too; The area bounded by Church, Bolton(/Dorset), and O'Connell (/Frederik) Streets. Horrible. Every Street I was on was in a state, bar Henry Street.
    Graffiti was the least of the problems, despite being widespread. Smashed glass, litter, dilapidated buildings and a lack of proper footpaths would be a far more important thing to get to work on eliminating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement