Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind-pumped hydro electric storage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I can't really see demand side management with EV's taking off, who's going to pay for the batteries that get worn out after 2 years instead of 10 because they are constantly being cycled. Fridges, washing machines, heating etc seems more feasible.

Well, I think the idea with them is to use the fact they're reasonably small as individual loads and the high quality of short term wind forecasts to avoid having to cycle individual cars frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

djpbarry wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Ardnacrusha was designed almost 90 years ago.
    I think that’s unlikely given that the reservoirs will be contained in tanks.

They mentioned running a city for 4 hours, if 2MW generation was enough, and with 200m fall they'd need over 14000m^3. (Not much really but if it had to be excavated...and I'm open to correction as I cant count my fingers without getting confused)
    I doubt 2MW would power Dublin's traffic lights, I think they had only 130m drop and I didn't see anything approaching that volume underground in that clip.
    Have to call foul on this one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldtree View Post
    Renewable power generation and storage are a million miles away from being sustainable in this country and continue to be less financially viable as more oil, coal and gas deposits are both becoming viable to extract and new ones being discovered. Any in depth research shows them to be white elephants.
    Well, that’s just not true – onshore wind generation, for example, is one of the cheapest available means of electricity generation.

Not when the wind-turbine companies have to be compensated when there is a surplus of electricity as, I believe, happened in Scotland recently! (they were asked to stop the turbines & were compensated for not generating un-wanted electricity)

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldtree View Post
    Renewable power generation and storage are a million miles away from being sustainable in this country and continue to be less financially viable as more oil, coal and gas deposits are both becoming viable to extract and new ones being discovered. Any in depth research shows them to be white elephants.
    Well, that’s just not true – onshore wind generation, for example, is one of the cheapest available means of electricity generation.

Not when the wind-turbine companies have to be compensated when there is a surplus of electricity as, I believe, happened in Scotland recently! (they were asked to stop the turbines & were compensated for not generating un-wanted electricity)
    Which is precisely why systems like this need to be developed and built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Really? Does that take into account the hidden subsidies to the producers which we all have to pay in ouir increased electricity bills, just to make wind power viable? Doe it include the cost of connecting those turbines to the national grid?

Wind power is a wonderful thing, but its not problem free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

That happens all the time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

easychair wrote: »
    It sounds to me as if these particular "scientists" are more likely to be trying to drum up some publicity for "Clausthal University of Technology", (where that? ed.) rather than putting forward anything new.
    It's in the Harz area of Lower Saxony, a state which was in the former east Germany. A university of technology is something sort of inbetween a university and an institute of technology in Ireland. Nothing to sneer at really and yes, they really are scientists. With degrees and everything.
    The first thing to realise is that there is no such thing as a average mine. The second thing to realise is that disused mines are very unstable places. It's not clear why the authors of this particularly dotty scheme have chosen disused mines as the ideal place to propose for such a scheme. Has anyone any idea why they have decided such inhospitable and dangerous places have been chosen?
    I found this article (in German) in the Süddeutsche Zeitung (a respectable paper, not a tabloid type).

This study was started by the Energy Research Centre of Lower Saxony who brought in the tech uni to the project. They examined a good two dozen regions in Germany and based on that narrowed it down to approximately 100 mines. These seem to have mostly been chosen as the rock is particularly steady and the access shafts are "kilometer deep" (not sure if that means one kilometer deep and am inclined to translate it as kilometers deep - don't have a German handy to check at the mo). However, instead of concrete such as would be used in ground surface case, the researchers want to install a network of pipes on two levels so that the mine remains stable.

There are only so many museums, art galleries and concert venues you can make out of old industrial facilities (factories, mines and so on), so I for one find it good to know that somebody somewhere is trying to also find more practical uses for some of the old works.

On a side note, it's possible that when they said city, they meant town - that's one of thoese things that often gets mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

No system is going to be perfect. But round-trip efficiency at Turlough Hill, for example, is about 75% - that’s pretty high.

They must have magic 100% efficient pumps and frictionless pipelines to achieve that kind of efficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Misty Moon wrote: »

instead of concrete such as would be used in ground surface case, the researchers want to install a network of pipes on two levels so that the mine remains stable.

I had understood that the idea was pumped storage, with the storage taking place in a disused mine and above ground.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    They must have magic 100% efficient pumps and frictionless pipelines to achieve that kind of efficiency

No thats pretty standard for pumped hydro. The pumps are the turbines themselves run as motors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lu Tze wrote: »
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2009/06/09/00361.asp
    In addition in considering pumped storage constraints [263](A.1.4.14) the authors apply energy efficiency factors for Turlough Hill between 71% when pumping and 50% in the minimum generating state. A recorded averaged actual round trip energy efficiency of the order of 64% is therefore within the range considered by the authors of the study having regard to its concentration on prioritising renewable energy technologies.
    Like most systems it's probably more efficient at higher capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Turlough Hill is used for heavy ramping support and peak shaving i.e. times when you would otherwise have to ramp up some of the CCGT's or turn on the OCGT's. Doing this is highly inefficient and uses a lot more energy than just running providing baseload power. I wouldn't be surprised that the energy saved by Turlough Hill is actually greater than the energy that would have to be used otherwise.
    I know that the rationale for building Turlough Hill was rather different from what we’re discussing here, but it’s a reasonable comparison none-the-less.

L wrote: »
    Basically, there's a reason we have built pretty much no storage since the system was in its infancy - it's at its most useful when a system has a lack of generation capacity compared to the possible variability of demand. Not when the generation itself is the more variable part.
    True – storing energy to compensate for lack of baseload is a pretty new concept. Hell, storing energy at all has only really become a pressing concern with the advent of portable electronic devices. We’re not much good at storing energy at present because we’ve never really had a need to do so until recently.

They mentioned running a city for 4 hours, if 2MW generation was enough, and with 200m fall they'd need over 14000m^3. (Not much really but if it had to be excavated...and I'm open to correction as I cant count my fingers without getting confused)
    I doubt 2MW would power Dublin's traffic lights, I think they had only 130m drop and I didn't see anything approaching that volume underground in that clip.
    14,000 cubic metres isn’t that big:

[latex]25 \times 25 \times 25m > 14,000m^3[/latex].

And I think when they say “city”, they mean “town”.

Really? Does that take into account the hidden subsidies to the producers which we all have to pay in ouir increased electricity bills, just to make wind power viable?
    What hidden subsidies? The fact that the construction of wind farms is subsidised is no secret. However, various other forms of power generation are also subsidised by the state, most notably peat-fired generation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I refer you again to this article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1101/1224306844626.html

This would seem to back up my opinion that we are all subsidising white elephants on a large scale and as the operators don't mind the idea of selling their cheap electricity on to the UK for a profit at our expense, tells us a lot about them.

Renewable power storage and generation are one and the same issue.

Oldtree wrote: »

This would seem to back up my opinion that we are all subsidising white elephants on a large scale and as the operators don't mind the idea of selling their cheap electricity on to the UK for a profit at our expense, tells us a lot about them.

That article is only referring to selling "spare" electricity to the UK, nothing about local storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Everytime someone says that, somewhere an electricity researcher loses their wings. ;)

They're not the same issue. They're two separate things that often get mixed in together because they look like a great mix at first glance.
    That article is only referring to selling "spare" electricity to the UK, nothing about local storage.

Aye, if anything, it's to our benefit because we're using them to soak up wind variability.
    True – storing energy to compensate for lack of baseload is a pretty new concept. Hell, storing energy at all has only really become a pressing concern with the advent of portable electronic devices. We’re not much good at storing energy at present because we’ve never really had a need to do so until recently.

Fair. Most of the research being done suggests it's a white elephant until we move off a synchronous power system or the storage efficiency increases drastically. I'll be curious to see where it goes the next few years but until then we shouldn't be plowing capital investment into it (especially not as there's other things desperately in need of it).

This would seem to back up my opinion that we are all subsidising white elephants on a large scale...
    Then I dare say you need to re-read the article. The ESRI report is suggesting that Public Service Obligation Levies (most of which do not subsidise wind generation) need to be re-examined. Nowhere is it suggested that wind projects should be scrapped altogether.
    L wrote: »
    Most of the research being done suggests it's a white elephant until we move off a synchronous power system or the storage efficiency increases drastically. I'll be curious to see where it goes the next few years but until then we shouldn't be plowing capital investment into it (especially not as there's other things desperately in need of it).
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting that we should rush headlong into filling every conceivable space in Europe with water to act as stored energy, because I’d be fairly confident that new and better ways of storing energy will be conceived in the not too distant future. However, this has to be balanced against the fact that the manner in which electricity is currently produced and consumed needs to change pretty quickly, as it’s obviously not sustainable.

The idea of wind or wave power is seductive, but their unreliability makes them of little practical use.
    And yet, wind power is making a significant contribution (~10%) to Ireland’s electricity needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

And yet, wind power is making a significant contribution (~10%) to Ireland’s electricity needs.

And yet, with the very favourable wind conditions throughout Ireland, I still can't get to understand why wind power is not in even more widespread use, because there are a lot of developed countries (Spain, France) where the resource is not at abundant as in Ireland, and yet, the installed power for wind generation is ages ahead. In fact, there are very few spots in Spain (where I come from) with wind conditions similar to the usual ones in Ireland and specially in the west and north coasts, and subsidies aside, with current technology the generated power is on par with more traditional sources looking longer term.

But as fantastic as wind is, you can't rely solely on wind for baseline power production. It is extremely complex to manage the system, so when you turn the TV on, it gets electricity. Wind can be abundant, but it is variable, and you can't control its output within minutes (well, you can divert some generated energy to waste it instead of putting it into the grid where demand is already served). But wind coupled with water storage and hydraulic power generation is a winner combination. And there is no need to use old mines or dig new reservoirs: just build a couple of adequately sized dams in valleys where nature has done its jobs, if there are any good locations in Ireland.

I understand it's not the best moment to ask for money to put in ventures with very long term returns on investment, but lacking any other energy resources, Ireland should have a deeper look at electricity generated from wind. Technology is there, you don't even need to spend more on off-shore wind turbines, and as wind is very abundant everywhere, you can place wind farms close to big cities, and lower transport losses. And, with adequate planning and sizing, water storage to even and manage the power output, so the country could go to half of all the electricity consumed generated by wind.

That, and a comprehensive strategy to reduce electricity demand, could make the country save lots in energy imports, and develop a future proof renewables industry, that currently seems to be lacking.

dardhal wrote: »
    And yet, with the very favourable wind conditions throughout Ireland, I still can't get to understand why wind power is not in even more widespread use, because there are a lot of developed countries (Spain, France) where the resource is not at abundant as in Ireland, and yet, the installed power for wind generation is ages ahead.

The Irish power system has the highest level of wind penetration in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

The Irish power system has the highest level of wind penetration in the world.

Well, I don't think there is any point in trying to show which country has the larger wind power penetration. Wikipedia has complete information about the matter:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energ%C3%ADa_e%C3%B3lica_en_Espa%C3%B1a

What I was trying to point out is, Ireland being a small country with exceptional wind resource, I would be reasonable for most of the electricity here being from wind, but due to the random nature of wind, if we want to go for current penetration to the next level, some sort of efficient electricity storage (direct or indirect) is in desperate need. And I think, but this is only a personal opinion, that electricity in Ireland is very expensive, and higher wind penetration (through storage) could in the medium term drive costs down (if only prices were driven by real costs...)

Well, I don't think there is any point in trying to show which country has the larger wind power penetration. Wikipedia has complete information about the matter:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energ%C3%ADa_e%C3%B3lica_en_Espa%C3%B1a

What I was trying to point out is, Ireland being a small country with exceptional wind resource, I would be reasonable for most of the electricity here being from wind, but due to the random nature of wind, if we want to go for current penetration to the next level, some sort of efficient electricity storage (direct or indirect) is in desperate need. And I think, but this is only a personal opinion, that electricity in Ireland is very expensive, and higher wind penetration (through storage) could in the medium term drive costs down (if only prices were driven by real costs...)

That wikipedia article is woefully out of date. To date this year we have achieved over 16% wind penetration in a small islanded system with no operational interconnection at all. Spain, Denmark et al. are part of the european grid, there is a massive amount of interconnection between each country and they are all synchronously connected. By 2020 we will be hitting 40% of demand on average with wind being allowed to hit 70% of instantaneous demand. I dont know where people are getting the idea that this will be impossible without building massive storage, we are already doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

And yet, with the very favourable wind conditions throughout Ireland, I still can't get to understand why wind power is not in even more widespread use, because there are a lot of developed countries (Spain, France) where the resource is not at abundant as in Ireland, and yet, the installed power for wind generation is ages ahead. In fact, there are very few spots in Spain (where I come from) with wind conditions similar to the usual ones in Ireland and specially in the west and north coasts, and subsidies aside, with current technology the generated power is on par with more traditional sources looking longer term.

But as fantastic as wind is, you can't rely solely on wind for baseline power production. It is extremely complex to manage the system, so when you turn the TV on, it gets electricity. Wind can be abundant, but it is variable, and you can't control its output within minutes (well, you can divert some generated energy to waste it instead of putting it into the grid where demand is already served). But wind coupled with water storage and hydraulic power generation is a winner combination. And there is no need to use old mines or dig new reservoirs: just build a couple of adequately sized dams in valleys where nature has done its jobs, if there are any good locations in Ireland.

I understand it's not the best moment to ask for money to put in ventures with very long term returns on investment, but lacking any other energy resources, Ireland should have a deeper look at electricity generated from wind. Technology is there, you don't even need to spend more on off-shore wind turbines, and as wind is very abundant everywhere, you can place wind farms close to big cities, and lower transport losses. And, with adequate planning and sizing, water storage to even and manage the power output, so the country could go to half of all the electricity consumed generated by wind.

That, and a comprehensive strategy to reduce electricity demand, could make the country save lots in energy imports, and develop a future proof renewables industry, that currently seems to be lacking.

The problem with comparing with countries like Spain & France is that they are much bigger and can possibly(?) absorb such developments more easily without such serious repercussions to the environment, biodiversity habitats and the landscape, than a small country like Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

The problem with comparing with countries like Spain & France is that they are much bigger and can possibly(?) absorb such developments more easily without such serious repercussions to the environment, biodiversity habitats and the landscape, than a small country like Ireland.
    Ireland is not that small.
    I remember someone complaining about all the land used for new motorways. I referred her to the huge amount of top quality land in setaside, and also said I'd forsake land for more lives saved and a faster commute.
    Biodiversity in this country can be significantly improved by a scheme that incentivises landowners to beef up their hedgerows with appropriate broadleaves and by a little more imagination from the Forest Service, though the current leadership is as inspiring as wet tissue paper.
    This country once held 9 million people, supported the population and exported to England-we're currently at 1/2 that, so I'm not too worried about that. Furthermore, we are a rock off a bigger rock off a continent, so lets look at what we can do here to give the continentals what they need.
    The country has now been thoughtfully zoned for wind energy and it won't take too much for some water storage sites to act as back up.
    It's the officials whodole out grid connectiond to their pals and the politicians and planners who seek back handers we need to root out.
    Again I'd like to reiterate that for the most part the Irish landscape is manmade!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes it is manmade, but the point is how do we manage what we have got now. Manmade does not mean that it is there to be completly abused. Our existing environment, such as it is, is a valuable resource and not one to be squandered for short term gain.

And yes you are right, the powers that be do not function for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

. Manmade does not mean that it is there to be completly abused. .
    Where did I imply abuse of any degree?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not sure of prices but I assume wind energy is cheap, prob is it needs a back up, how many times do we want to pay for the same unit of electricity used...
    Once to build the turbine and hook it to the grid
    Twice to build pumped storage
    3 times when u include all the plant already built (mainly gas) and still being paid for (by us)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not sure of prices but I assume wind energy is cheap, prob is it needs a back up, how many times do we want to pay for the same unit of electricity used...
    Once to build the turbine and hook it to the grid
    Twice to build pumped storage
    3 times when u include all the plant already built (mainly gas) and still being paid for (by us)
    You forgot two things.
    we've to pay a 4th time to provide transmission lines to/from the pumped storage

and if you talk about exporting the stored energy then this means you need to pay a
    5th time for an interconnecter. BUT with an interconnector points 2 , 3 are 4 no longer valid, as you can use an interconector for storage. Norned (Norway, Netherlands) had an 8% return on investment in the first two months, so the economics aren't bad, in fact you actually save money compared to providing spinning reserve. (of course the economics change when you need a lot more power, but we've looking at 1,000 MW through interconnectors (Scotland via Norn Iorn and Wales) by the end of the year )

The other thing you forgot, the effalump in the room, is that fossil fuel prices are like it's 1973 all over again 'cept this time China has demand and money, they are also #1 in solar panels (almost all for export) and Hydro

Advertisement