Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rás na mBan 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Plenty of climbing and difficult stages there.

Things have changes a bit since the 1956 Olympics where the longest women's athletics event was the 200 metres, "because they were not capable of further".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Looks brilliant. I rode a lot of those roads in the Iveragh 200 and it would be savage territory to race through. The non-climbers might as well enjoy the local hospitality because there doesn't seem to be much else there for them. Great to see a Swords representative too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Looks brilliant. I rode a lot of those roads in the Iveragh 200 and it would be savage territory to race through. The non-climbers might as well enjoy the local hospitality because there doesn't seem to be much else there for them. Great to see a Swords representative too.

And a Swords team manager !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

... who happens to be a boardsie of 18 months standing, but still no posts!

Nice to see at least a couple more boardsies taking part in addition to the Swords representative

Good luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Should be a savage 5 days of racing.

Camper-vans, flags and mankini's on the Healy Pass anyone?? :D

(could someone fix the title btw please?)

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »

Saw that alright. I hope he doesn't go for the deeply distressing shorts and overcoat combo I have seen him sport at the finish line of some of the club races.

fat bloke wrote: »

Sliabh na mBan perhaps?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is that any better?

Beasty wrote: »
    Is that any better?

Tá tú againn anois.

You've gone native

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Very best of luck to Ms Raam, GIHTH and What's a derailleur. The race will pass my house so I hope to be out on the road with my daughter cheering ye on.
    Best of luck to Rob Fowl. Hopefully you will be called on very little.
    My advice to the riders - Overshoes. Bring lots of them. It will be wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

ROK ON wrote: »
    Very best of luck to Ms Raam, GIHTH and What's a derailleur. The race will pass my house so I hope to be out on the road with my daughter cheering ye on.
    Best of luck to Rob Fowl. Hopefully you will be called on very little.
    My advice to the riders - Overshoes. Bring lots of them. It will be wet.
    It's 'MAWS' who is entered, 'what's the deraileur isn't on the start list. there are also a few more secret boardsies entered but I can't remember what ID they use. Also Mrs Ryansherlock who I ma sure will kick some serious arse.

It's 'MAWS' who is entered, 'what's the deraileur isn't on the start list. there are also a few more secret boardsies entered but I can't remember what ID they use. Also Mrs Ryansherlock who I ma sure will kick some serious arse.
    Why you not doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Why you not doing it?

It wouldn't be fair on the others.

Why you not doing it?

What Velo said:
    Vélo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be fair on the others.

And the prize fund isn't enough for me to bother my arse tbh. If I win, I want to win TDF like cash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's going to be one tough race. I for one am glad that a.) I'm not a woman and b.) I'm going to be in the team car and not on a bike.

Also Mrs Ryansherlock who I ma sure will kick some serious arse.

Having seen her power up the course in the National Hill Climb Championships, I'd have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Best of Luck to the 2 girls from Thinkbike.ie CC

Cait Elliott on the womenscycling.ie team and
    Siobhan OConnor riding for Thinkbike.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

So, 12 days after Basil-gate, it looks like I shall go to Ras na Wimmin afterall....

The good people at Canyon entertained my pleas, and with godspeed (& UPS) my new fork arrived this morning. It and my battered bike are now in the safe hands of the guys at 'World Wide Cycles' in Clonmel. I will collect my steed en route to Sneem on Tuesday, whoooopeeeee!!!

Due to the enormous likelihood of my being utterly crap, I have opted to ride the Ras under an assumed name. So I will be hanging my 'Marble City Cyclers' habit and veil in the wardrobe, and donning the green, white and fake abs of 'Orwell Wheelers'* for five days..... poor them.

So, bring on the tail-end of hurricane Katia!

*obviously this means that, as is the custom, I won't be nodding, waving at, or speaking to anyone, other than my team-mates, for the week ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't forget the holy water. I'll wash your bike with it every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Bless you my son*.

*some of this sentence may not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Best of luck to all in Ras na mBan this evening and over the next 5 days. Weather forecast appears OK till Sunday evening which would be perfect.
    Savage looking hilly stages.

Smashing weather down here today. Wind appears to have died down a lot too.

Hope to make it to Molls Gap this evening. Best of luck to the boardsie ladies.

Nearly all the boardsies will be in unfamiliar kit this year. MAWS and godihatethehills are riding for Leinster. LDB is riding with the Women's Cycling team (pink and white). Sr. Assumpta is guesting for Orwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1M5R0_W9s&feature=player_embedded#!

Looks great.

Sounds like a fab race as well. Amazing ride by Olivia Dillon yesterday by all accounts - really showing her class. Hard for the part-timers, no matter how dedicated, to compete in fairness.

Little clip from stage 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMlP_4djss&feature=related

Looks like they were haunted with the weather.

Any single lads out there, tonight's the night to be in Sneem. Should be lots of fit, tired and tipsy girls around for some post race hair letting down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Ha Ha good stratergy! So thats the real reason you are hanging around with your camera for the last few days.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

supper few days in Kerry well done to all involved very well run event them girls sure can ride their bikes

Advertisement